Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    M271
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End 8th Aug 17 at 6:48 PM
    I am currently on the MSE Collective Switch with BG which comes to an end on 3rd October. Will a another collective switch be launched before then (statement aimed at MSE reps) or should I just start looking at the best deals around 4 to 5 weeks before my deal comes to an end?
Page 13
    • markylfc3004
    • By markylfc3004 15th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    markylfc3004
    Hi

I am also on the BG collective with British Gas until 3rd Oct, I have used the CEC and a number of smaller companies show up followed by Ovo and EDF saving about £150 does anyone have a specific preference or is it entirely taking a risk going with the smaller companies.?

Separately we also have home care one boiler cover with British Gas is this likely to cause me problems switching or is it simply a separate contract?

Thanks for any advice.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 15th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    nic_c
    Hi

I am also on the BG collective with British Gas until 3rd Oct, I have used the CEC and a number of smaller companies show up followed by Ovo and EDF saving about £150 does anyone have a specific preference or is it entirely taking a risk going with the smaller companies.?

Separately we also have home care one boiler cover with British Gas is this likely to cause me problems switching or is it simply a separate contract?

Thanks for any advice.
    Originally posted by markylfc3004
    There is a 2 year EDF deal that comes with boiler cover for first year. Might be worth considering??
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 36,069 Posts
    • 152,371 Thanks
    silvercar

Thanks for any advice.
    Originally posted by markylfc3004
    No problem at all. BG will continue this on its own.

Not sure if it still applies, but years ago they gave a £15 discount on homecare if you took gas/ electric with them. I'm not sure if they still do this, but factor it in to your calculations if they do.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Sep 17, 10:37 PM
    • 36,069 Posts
    • 152,371 Thanks
    silvercar
    I switched to Ovo last night (14 September). Within one day my Ovo online account is set up and my switching date is 4 October. Impressed so far.
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 15th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    wizk1
    I switched to Ovo last night (14 September). Within one day my Ovo online account is set up and my switching date is 4 October. Impressed so far.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Maybe reserve judgement until the time comes to switch away from Ovo. I've switch from/to several suppliers in the past and the only one to not cause any issues during my time with them was E.on. I'm not saying Ovo will mess up because I've never had the pleasure of being one of their customers, but in my experience I've found that energy companies are generally fine to switch to but an absolute pain in the proverbial when switching away.
    | Student Overdraft: -£2,000 £0 | Car loan -£4,288.80 £0 |
    Cashback earned to date (Cash back credit cards, cashback sites, tarting, stoozing, etc.): £4,451.89 (As of 03/01/13)
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 36,069 Posts
    • 152,371 Thanks
    silvercar
    Having just started the switching process to Ovo, I happened upon this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73133428

suggesting that ovo will pay interest on credit balances of upto 5%. Anyone aware of this?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 36,069 Posts
    • 152,371 Thanks
    silvercar
    Maybe reserve judgement until the time comes to switch away from Ovo. I've switch from/to several suppliers in the past and the only one to not cause any issues during my time with them was E.on. I'm not saying Ovo will mess up because I've never had the pleasure of being one of their customers, but in my experience I've found that energy companies are generally fine to switch to but an absolute pain in the proverbial when switching away.
    Originally posted by wizk1
    Sainsbury Energy (British Gas in all but name) messed up my switch to them, I just hope they handle the switch away a bit better.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 16th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    polymaff
    Sainsbury Energy (British Gas in all but name) messed up my switch to them, I just hope they handle the switch away a bit better.
    Ditto
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Hengus

suggesting that ovo will pay interest on credit balances of upto 5%. Anyone aware of this?
    I would strongly recommended that a read of the contract terms and conditions is needed before switching:

13. OVO Interest Reward

13.1 The OVO Interest Reward is available only to OVO Energy Direct Debit customers. It is the interest we pay on credit balances of customers for so long as you are on supply, unless we change or withdraw it under section 13.4.
    13.2 The OVO Interest Reward is calculated based on:
    (a) the yearly rate, depending on how long you’ve been with us, as set out in our Energy Charges list; and
    (b) the remaining credit in your account each month after all charges that month have been paid for. The remaining amount is pro-rated for the number of days in that month.
    13.3 We’ll calculate the OVO Interest Reward whenever we produce your bill and will automatically credit it to your account. However, if we issue a new or revised bill (e.g. after you’ve submitted an updated meter reading) we can’t add the OVO Interest Reward for any credit that might result from the new bill.
    13.4 We can change any aspect of the OVO Interest Reward (including its rate and how it's calculated), or stop or withdraw offering it entirely, at any time.
    13.5 The maximum credit balance on which you can earn the OVO Interest Reward is stated in our Energy Charges list.
    13.6 You must not make payments into your account just to receive the OVO Interest Reward. If we think you're doing this, we'll refund the extra amounts to you and we may withhold payment of the OVO Interest Reward on those amounts.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 16th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    polymaff
    Ditto.

Just noticed that this morning SE have increased my DD by 85%, no doubt anticipating me remaining with them - and so transferring to Standard rate.

They can whistle for that
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 16th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10

Yes... been withem before - it does happen :-)
    • vigman
    • By vigman 19th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    vigman
    Just got this on my OVO account:

Your supplier has blocked you switching to us
    There's a problem with your switch. We've sent you an email about it, so please check it to see if there's anything you need to do to sort it out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I only have an email from OVO saying the DD is set up.

Anyone else got this? I was on the BG collective dual fuel.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Hengus
    Just got this on my OVO account:

Your supplier has blocked you switching to us
    There's a problem with your switch. We've sent you an email about it, so please check it to see if there's anything you need to do to sort it out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I only have an email from OVO saying the DD is set up.

Anyone else got this? I was on the BG collective dual fuel.

Vigman
    Originally posted by vigman
    Speak to your present supplier; they have clearly raised an objection.
    • vigman
    • By vigman 19th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    vigman
    OVO switching problem
    Speak to your present supplier; they have clearly raised an objection.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    OVO say the objection is probably because the postcode on the national database for the gas meter is one that changed for the same address 20 years ago

BG say they have not raised an objection as there is no request to switch gas supply!!

Great....just what I didn't want. Did the transfer through Cheap Energy Club? How to proceed when they both blame each other?

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Hengus
    OVO say the objection is probably because the postcode on the national database for the gas meter is one that changed for the same address 20 years ago

BG say they have not raised an objection as there is no request to switch gas supply!!

Great....just what I didn't want. Did the transfer through Cheap Energy Club? How to proceed when they both blame each other?

Vigman
    Originally posted by vigman
    Forget about the MSE Cheap Energy Club: they have no role in the switching process. Speak to Ovo and tell them them BG is saying that it hasn't received a transfer request. Ask Ovo to re-start the transfer process. Before you do so, just check that the address and meter details on Ovo's Welcome letter are correct.
    • vigman
    • By vigman 19th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    vigman
    oooookay....

OVO says it was an industry rejection because the postcode for the meter (changed 20 years ago in our county!) had not been updated.

The first BG rep said it would take weeks to change.

The second rep was great and made the change onscreen and will ring me back on Friday to confirm the change.

After that I will have to let OVO know the request will go through!!!

Now I remember why many of us don't switch...my gas and electricity switch will now be out of sync and I'll have to keep an eye on payments and DDs for a while.

Vigman
    Last edited by vigman; 19-09-2017 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Added content
    • stluke023
    • By stluke023 19th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    stluke023
    I switched to AVRO Energy
    On my usage living in South West came out cheapest with the exception of TOTO AND BREEZE but £10 and £25 quid in it.
    Total cost AVRO quoting £1475 for me for year which is £200 more than BG Collectivefix ending shortly MSE CEC states a top pick.

There we have it....my move

Move confirmed from AVRO Energy going to change to on 18th October, so hopefully get the 18days at old rate
    Last edited by stluke023; 08-10-2017 at 4:18 PM. Reason: WRONG TITLE
    • vigman
    • By vigman 19th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    vigman
    Forget about the MSE Cheap Energy Club: they have no role in the switching process. Speak to Ovo and tell them them BG is saying that it hasn't received a transfer request. Ask Ovo to re-start the transfer process. Before you do so, just check that the address and meter details on Ovo's Welcome letter are correct.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Thanks. You'll see from another mail that the postode error is being changed by BG.

20 years ago our county went from AA1 1XX to AA20 4XX for the same address and although my bill was the new postcode the national database had the old one against the gas meter number.

However I mentioned going through CEC to restart the gas switch to OVO as I thought this ensured the cashback deal?

Vigman
    • Sassie8
    • By Sassie8 20th Sep 17, 6:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sassie8
    I'm considering switching to Bulb. Whilst it isn't the cheapest it does come up in the top half dozen or so cheapest depending on which search engine I used, and the reviews and ethos seem very refreshing and reassuring. I'm thinking of waiting until 3rd October when the collective fix ends before signing up.

For those of you who have already switched did you do it via MSE Cheap Energy Club results or directly on Bulb website so that you could take advantage of the referral code saving? I think it's cheaper to do the latter?
    • mikeyorkie10
    • By mikeyorkie10 20th Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mikeyorkie10
    Cashback
    Well, my switch from BG has gone through. They managed to squeeze in a final DD 3 days before the switch happened, even though I was in credit! How long should the refund process take?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin