Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • M271
    • By M271 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 78Thanks
    M271
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End 8th Aug 17 at 6:48 PM
    I am currently on the MSE Collective Switch with BG which comes to an end on 3rd October. Will a another collective switch be launched before then (statement aimed at MSE reps) or should I just start looking at the best deals around 4 to 5 weeks before my deal comes to an end?
Page 10
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 6th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    davethorp
    I also find it bizarre.
    Originally posted by Konya
    Yeah its definitely strange and a huge issue with the smart meter roll out. Sure I can get why there wouldn’t be communications between the meters and energy suppliers when you move if systems aren’t in place to accomodate this. But why there cant still be communication between the smart energy monitor and the meters I don’t know. Nothing has changed in terms of the connections between those devices.

In the mean time I have a very nice British Gas branded paperweight

• victor2
    • By victor2 6th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,699 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    victor2
    Yeah its definitely strange and a huge issue with the smart meter roll out. Sure I can get why there wouldn’t be communications between the meters and energy suppliers when you move if systems aren’t in place to accomodate this. But why there cant still be communication between the smart energy monitor and the meters I don’t know. Nothing has changed in terms of the connections between those devices.

In the mean time I have a very nice British Gas branded paperweight
    Originally posted by davethorp
    So are people saying that once you leave BG, their smart meter in-house display no longer functions at all?
    I only got the smart meters installed to make reading my meters easy (which I do daily, just for my own interest). Back to reading them manually I suppose, if the IHD ceases to function after I leave them.

I know an ex E.On customer with their smart meters and they can still use the IHD to get meter readings.
    • Wilt
    • By Wilt 6th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Wilt
    My switch from BG went through a couple of days ago and my IHD is still operating - obviously the tariff values aren't correct but KWh and meter readings seem to be working fine.

We'll see if it turns off in a week or so...
    Last edited by Wilt; 06-09-2017 at 9:37 PM.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 6th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    nic_c
    Electric useage 11939 - gas usage 7413 kWh
    Originally posted by sam1974
    Similar electricity usage, but I use about a third of that gas use -(even though the missus usually whacks the central heating far higher than I like for most of the winter).

Cannot fine good electric prices anywhere gas prices not much different tbh

Not cheap here.
    British gas currently £1,381/year

Npower quote £1,754/yr

The people's energy quote £1,886.11
    British Gas £720/year. (until 3rd oct)
    Green Network Energy £780/year with other small indie companies a few quid more
    EDF collective £865
    npower £946

EDF collective comes cheaper than other EDF tariffs (for my usage) but a lot more than the small indies.

Decisions. I went from EDF to BG collective switch, so EDF seems the safe choice, but big savings can be made with going for a smaller company.
    • Anonymously
    • By Anonymously 6th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Anonymously
    I am showing that EON will be cheaper by far than the new collective, low user I guess.
    • singhini
    • By singhini 7th Sep 17, 12:59 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    singhini
    I've decided, even though IRESA are the cheapest (+£54 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct), I am still going to switch to Bulb (+£80 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct).

Why: (A) their 100% renewable, (B) I'm not tied in so can move (C) they will pay any exit fees if BG do try to get one over on me (D) i cant cope with researching into all these deals anymore, I need my life back!

I'm going to initiate the switch on Thursday 28th September (closest I'm now willing to go to the end date of 3rd Oct) [any later and I suspect I will be part of the stampede who experience an issue with switching]
    • Tharweb
    • By Tharweb 7th Sep 17, 6:52 AM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Tharweb
    I pulled the trigger and went for Npower. After the £60 Topcashback (which has tracked) they come out £16 cheaper than the cheapest no name, OneSelect. Not worth hanging on for the few quid I'd save, plus the TCB ends in 3 days.
    This site has saved me a fortune ...it's also cost me a fortune!
    © Tharweb 2006
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 7th Sep 17, 7:07 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    I've decided, even though IRESA are the cheapest (+£54 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct), I am still going to switch to Bulb (+£80 compared to current BG deal ending 3rd Oct).

Why: (A) their 100% renewable, (B) I'm not tied in so can move (C) they will pay any exit fees if BG do try to get one over on me (D) i cant cope with researching into all these deals anymore, I need my life back!

I'm going to initiate the switch on Thursday 28th September (closest I'm now willing to go to the end date of 3rd Oct) [any later and I suspect I will be part of the stampede who experience an issue with switching]
    Originally posted by singhini

You do however, need to keep an eye on your tariff. Although Bulb has dropped prices twice, they only have one tariff, a variable tariff and with no fixed tariffs, prices could equally, rise.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • mikeizz
    • By mikeizz 7th Sep 17, 8:49 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    mikeizz
    I am showing that EON will be cheaper by far than the new collective, low user I guess.
    Originally posted by Anonymously
    I am the same situation, are we missing something as to why this isn't being mentioned instead of EDF?!
    • hubb
    • By hubb 7th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    hubb
    Still not wanting to pull the trigger until my full BG has run it's course as nothing is anywhere near as low as this rate. Either prices in the meantime will rise or drop. In the past I have been caught out by fixing and then they all dropped (against Martin's predictions of them all rising)
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 7th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Originally posted by Anonymously
    I am the same situation, are we missing something as to why this isn't being mentioned instead of EDF?!
    Originally posted by mikeizz
    It depends on regional variations.

For a small minority of people, E.on can very often be cheaper than other companies, (thankfully).
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • shazzablue
    • By shazzablue 7th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    shazzablue
    npower
    Having spent 2 days on the switch merry go round I,ve now signed up with npower through topcashback who will pay me £60.Nothing on the mse board beats it...disappointing!.i have signed up for online fix sept 18.The cashback is only available for 2 more days,worth giving topcashback a look if your still dithering.
    • jmnathan
    • By jmnathan 7th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    jmnathan
    So I received the CEC email last night and it's frankly quite bizarre. Aside from the rather ludicrous claim the the EDF collective is the cheapest of the Big 6 (Ok, I know you have to account for regional variations) it also claims Ovo would be cheap for me. Npower comes out cheaper than both EDF and Ovo.

More bizarre is that it as my usage figures all wrong. According to the email I spend £755/year. If I log in to CEC and do a comparison it shows me as paying £867 so not quite sure when the figures for the email have come from. Perhaps they're as arbitrary as the collective deal itself!
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 7th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    OVO is showing as good for me and a two year fix I think is good as I am sure prices will rise.
    Just not sure about the 25% price rise in the winter months that OVO say is more like 10%, anyone used them before and how did the winter price hike work out?
    • Bobblehat
    • By Bobblehat 7th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Bobblehat
    I read the OVO winter increase as a rise in your DD not a rise in the tariff rates. After all it wouldn't really be a "Fixed" rate if they did the latter? The implication is that if they increased your DD in the winter (compared to average) then your summer months DD would be lower (than average).

Can any one who is with OVO already, confirm this?
    • superbigal36
    • By superbigal36 7th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    superbigal36
    I'm going to hazard a guess that this collective will not be the lowest quote of the big 6 for a substantial percentage of the members.
    I manage 4 accounts for various family members, and it is the top option ZERO PERCENT of the time.
    • mikeizz
    • By mikeizz 7th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    mikeizz
    Having spent 2 days on the switch merry go round I,ve now signed up with npower through topcashback who will pay me £60.Nothing on the mse board beats it...disappointing!.i have signed up for online fix sept 18.The cashback is only available for 2 more days,worth giving topcashback a look if your still dithering.
    Originally posted by shazzablue
    CHeers for the heads up on this.

I have just compared this with eon in my area and it is saying i will save £2 a month being with npower (which isn't a massive difference) but getting £60 topcashback instead of just £25 has made me plump for it!
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 7th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    davethorp
    So are people saying that once you leave BG, their smart meter in-house display no longer functions at all?
    I only got the smart meters installed to make reading my meters easy (which I do daily, just for my own interest). Back to reading them manually I suppose, if the IHD ceases to function after I leave them.

I know an ex E.On customer with their smart meters and they can still use the IHD to get meter readings.
    Originally posted by victor2
    I think some of it depends on the supplier you are switching to. I moved from British Gas to npower and my in home display no longer functions

My switch from BG went through a couple of days ago and my IHD is still operating - obviously the tariff values aren't correct but KWh and meter readings seem to be working fine.

We'll see if it turns off in a week or so...
    Originally posted by Wilt
    Mine kept working for about a week after both fuels switched but now just says "connecting to smart meter"

• Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 7th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    I went for Tonik. Fixed rate for a year but no exit fees if things change. Also a £20 amazon referral fee. Switch date is 6 days before the end of the BG collective deal.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 11,214 Posts
    • 14,729 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    My comparison numbers
    Okay, on the back of me saying that I was going to switch to Avro, here are the numbers for my consumption:

Electric annual (EAC) = 2,450 kWh
    Gas annual (AQ) = 7,600 kWh
    West Midlands region

Currently with British Gas on the MSE Collective Fix Oct 2017 tariff.
    • British Gas Standard Variable Tariff:
      • Electric standing charge = 26.01p/day = £94.94/year
      • Electric unit charge = 14.43p/kWh = £353.54 for EAC
      • Gas standing charge = 26.01p/day = £94.94/year
      • Gas unit charge = 3.71p/kWh = £281.96 for AQ
      • Total for 1 year = £825.38
    • Avro Simple and Value:
      • Electric standing charge = 17.85p/day = £65.15/year
      • Electric unit charge = 11.76p/kWh = £288.12 for EAC
      • Gas standing charge = 19.95p/day = £72.82/year
      • Gas unit charge = 2.662p/kWh = £202.31 for AQ
      • Total for 1 year = £628.40
    • OneSelect Secure 1 Year Fixed Aug 17:
      • Electric standing charge = 18.554p/day = £67.72/year
      • Electric unit charge = 12.125p/kWh = £297.06 for EAC
      • Gas standing charge = 18.554p/day = £67.72/year
      • Gas unit charge = 2.855p/kWh = £216.98 for AQ
      • Total charge for 1 year = £649.48
    • IRESA Flex4 12 month Fixed D/D
      • Electric standing charge = 13.356p/day = £48.75/year
      • Electric unit charge = 11.445p/kWh = £280.40 for EAC
      • Gas standing charge = 14.700p/day = £53.66/year
      • Gas unit charge = 2.820p/kWh = £214.32 for AQ
      • Total charge for 1 year = £597.13
    OneSelect has little to no feedback on MSE yet, and there's a warning about IRESA's apparent issues with customer service responsiveness on the Cheap Energy Club.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,713Posts Today

6,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin