Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 8th Aug 17, 5:25 PM
    • 19,499Posts
    • 25,457Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    0 WOW
    Sports abroard, holiday insurance - check and then recheck again.
    • 8th Aug 17, 5:25 PM
    0 WOW
    Sports abroard, holiday insurance - check and then recheck again. 8th Aug 17 at 5:25 PM
    My holiday insurance is very comprehensive and is quite definitive in the areas that it covers and just as importantly, doesn't cover.
    As a careful traveller I checked and rechecked that one of my activities was in the "good column" and not the "bad column".

On our last full night on holiday we took part in the sporting activity, something went wrong and I sustained a serious (but not life altering/life threatening) injury.
    We settled down to the reality of visiting a hospital in the US, before inevitable (& perhaps extensive) tests, possible admission, potential operation and obviously delayed flights back to the UK (not a Medevac!!). All in All, it would have added up to a mighty whack.

Before we set off to the hospital, I pulled out the policy and recheked the details then went to where we'd done the activities and rechecked the details with them -- at this point, I discovered the very real possibility/probability that any insurance claim may not be settled, due to the level of my activity being higher than specified on the policy - all down to definition and interpretation. (alternatively, it could have been met and all would have been good.

Long story short, I didn't chance a claim, self medicated myself and came home. My circumstance weren't "normal" and I was able to do this on my pre-booked flight. If it was a "normal" trip it would have cost a mighty wedge to get me back to the UK.

If you're going to do a sporting activity whilst abroad, check, check then recheck again that your insurance covers your activty. In particular, if your insurance companies definition doesn't align with the sports providers definition, run it by your insurance company and get confirmation that you're covered.

You learn something new every day, Lesson learnt etc, etc

p.s. I'm typing this from the A&E at hospital, as they work out how much damage I've done

Page 2
    • Crispy Ambulance
    • By Crispy Ambulance 13th Aug 17, 12:51 AM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Crispy Ambulance
    Hello Crispy

I was rafting when we hit a submerged rock.
    Not the best way to close out the holiday
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat

Ouch! Hope you are mended soon. We went tubing with family today - the kind where you are behind a speedboat. Mr Crispy managed to knee me in the face as we got thrown off so I now have a very fetching fat lip but fortunately no other injuries. He feel pretty bad about it, even though it was an accident. I've told him he can quit whining about the cost of Graceland though as a recompense!

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 13th Aug 17, 1:06 AM
    • 20,290 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    dacouch
    Oh No Murphy, hope you get seen very soon at A&E, well done for getting yourself home though.

I've just booked insurance for our holiday next week (we have free bank insurance in place too, so this is an extra policy), we will be in Norway, and I want to do a day skiing on the glacier. I'm so glad I called the company, as I was about to take out "winter sport" add on (weird in summer!), but as I mentioned it was a glacier they double checked, and sure enough this was a different add on, and winter sports would not have covered it. So yes, check, and double check your policy,
    Originally posted by michele-p
    Not checking would have left you skating on thin ice
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Aug 17, 8:42 AM
    • 23,160 Posts
    • 60,002 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Hope you're better soon, Murphy.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    • 874 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Ganga
    Not checking would have left you skating on thin ice
    Originally posted by dacouch

Can you get insurance cover for that?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 13th Aug 17, 1:32 PM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Hope you're better soon, Murphy.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I've now got (limited) mobility so I can get from A-B albeit slowly !
    Fingers crossed, in about 6 weeks I'll know for sure the extent of the damage

As a happy aside, last year we went on the Sasquathch Zip Line at Whistler. Several hundred feet up, speed of 100+kmh and over 2km long. At the time, we joked that if it all went wrong, at least we had a plastic hard hat to save us ! (it was one of the best things that we have ever done. Ever). If you get the chance DO IT - going backwards, upside down, was brilliant !
    Oddly enough, Ziplining doesn't appear to be an insured activity - of any speed, length, height etc.
    Last edited by Murphy_The_Cat; 13-08-2017 at 1:35 PM.

• zagfles
    • By zagfles 13th Aug 17, 9:59 PM
    • 12,496 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles

As a happy aside, last year we went on the Sasquathch Zip Line at Whistler. Several hundred feet up, speed of 100+kmh and over 2km long. At the time, we joked that if it all went wrong, at least we had a plastic hard hat to save us ! (it was one of the best things that we have ever done. Ever). If you get the chance DO IT - going backwards, upside down, was brilliant !
    Oddly enough, Ziplining doesn't appear to be an insured activity - of any speed, length, height etc.
    If you like that then nearer to home in North Wales is the fastest zipline in the world! Was excellent but a lot a money to pay for a few minutes...

https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/detail/velocity
    • helibird
    • By helibird 5th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helibird
    Winter Ski Cover that doesn't - Nationwide
    You have to be so careful. I checked my Nationwide flex plus policy that is advertised with Winter Sport Cover. It to has the 'Glacier' exclusion. But even worse, I thought my hire equipment was covered for loss or damage. Having read through the policy I couldn't find the clause although there was an exclusion mentioning getting a certificate from the hire shop about damaged or lost equipment.
    Having spent about half an hour on the phone to the insurers they decided this exclusion only refered to getting a certificate so you could get the £35 a day to hire replacement equipment. The equipment (hire or own) is not covered for loss or damage. So I could be out £400+ if my hire skis are stolen and be in for a long argument with the ski shop as to their actual value. Ggrr insurance companies!!!
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 5th Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    My holiday insurance is very comprehensive and is quite definitive in the areas that it covers and just as importantly, doesn't cover.
    As a careful traveller I checked and rechecked that one of my activities was in the "good column" and not the "bad column".

On our last full night on holiday we took part in the sporting activity, something went wrong and I sustained a serious (but not life altering/life threatening) injury.
    We settled down to the reality of visiting a hospital in the US, before inevitable (& perhaps extensive) tests, possible admission, potential operation and obviously delayed flights back to the UK (not a Medevac!!). All in All, it would have added up to a mighty whack.

Before we set off to the hospital, I pulled out the policy and recheked the details then went to where we'd done the activities and rechecked the details with them -- at this point, I discovered the very real possibility/probability that any insurance claim may not be settled, due to the level of my activity being higher than specified on the policy - all down to definition and interpretation. (alternatively, it could have been met and all would have been good.

Long story short, I didn't chance a claim, self medicated myself and came home. My circumstance weren't "normal" and I was able to do this on my pre-booked flight. If it was a "normal" trip it would have cost a mighty wedge to get me back to the UK.

If you're going to do a sporting activity whilst abroad, check, check then recheck again that your insurance covers your activty. In particular, if your insurance companies definition doesn't align with the sports providers definition, run it by your insurance company and get confirmation that you're covered.

You learn something new every day, Lesson learnt etc, etc

p.s. I'm typing this from the A&E at hospital, as they work out how much damage I've done
    A strange choice, as usually any likely cost over £500 would need to be ok'd by the insurer beforehand as a matter of course. The bill would then be paid directly.
    When I had an incident, all was paid without any further intervention from myself. The medical team booked and paid for everything.
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 5th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    Hello Crispy

I was rafting when we hit a submerged rock.
    Not the best way to close out the holiday
    My policy covers White/Black water rafting(Grades 1 to 4) as standard. I have to inform them beforehand for Grade 5 & 6.

Was your concern that it was a higher grade than that?
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 5th Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    You have to be so careful. I checked my Nationwide flex plus policy that is advertised with Winter Sport Cover. It to has the 'Glacier' exclusion. But even worse, I thought my hire equipment was covered for loss or damage. Having read through the policy I couldn't find the clause although there was an exclusion mentioning getting a certificate from the hire shop about damaged or lost equipment.
    Having spent about half an hour on the phone to the insurers they decided this exclusion only refered to getting a certificate so you could get the £35 a day to hire replacement equipment. The equipment (hire or own) is not covered for loss or damage. So I could be out £400+ if my hire skis are stolen and be in for a long argument with the ski shop as to their actual value. Ggrr insurance companies!!!
    Originally posted by helibird
    Grrrrrr.....just realised you bumped an old thread?
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 5th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere

As an aside, InsureandGo cover zip-lining as standard.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 6th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    My policy covers White/Black water rafting(Grades 1 to 4) as standard. I have to inform them beforehand for Grade 5 & 6.

Was your concern that it was a higher grade than that?
    Originally posted by AlwaysHere
    hello AlwaysHere

My policy covers Grade 1 & Grade 2 rafting. The course we were on was a beginners trip, Ideal for younger and inexperienced paddlers suitable for families, for age 7+.
    We went rafting and had fun - until I hurt myself.
    Before I was taken to the hospital for assessment, we went back to the people who run the course, to confirm its Grading.
    The answer was Grade 1 to Grade 2, but when the ice melt is high (which is wasn't when we went, quite the opposite), then sections become Grade 3 and it becomes a Grade 2-Grade 3 course.

Rather than taking the chance of running up a huge medical bill, that was then refused by the insurance company, I took one for the team, self medicated, took it easy for the last day of our holiday and got myself home.

*** my knee is now nearly fully recovered and I'm taking physio to rebuild the muscle wastage. I'd quite badly torn the Medial Cruciate Ligament and it was down to about 33% of what it should have been

• Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 6th Dec 17, 9:40 AM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    As an aside, InsureandGo cover zip-lining as standard.
    are you sure ?
    I've just had a quick look at their policies and it looked like a NO to me.

Maybe you can do it as an addon ?

• AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 2:37 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    are you sure ?
    I've just had a quick look at their policies and it looked like a NO to me.

Maybe you can do it as an addon ?
    100% sure.

https://www.insureandgo.com/Content/downloads/IAG_MF_PW_STD_0417.pdf

Up to Grade 4 as standard. 5 & 6 on request.

The £100 shown is the standard Medical Excess on the Grade 5 & 6 extension.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 6th Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    100% sure.

https://www.insureandgo.com/Content/downloads/IAG_MF_PW_STD_0417.pdf

Up to Grade 4 as standard. 5 & 6 on request.

The £100 shown is the standard Medical Excess on the Grade 5 & 6 extension.
    so much for being 100% sure that ziplining is covered
    zip lining says no !
    Last edited by Murphy_The_Cat; 06-12-2017 at 6:24 PM.

• AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    so much for being 100% sure that ziplining is covered
    zip lining says no !

Perhaps if you spent a little less time being a negative soul instead of thanking me for my help, you might make better choices.

The NO refers to personal accident and personal liability. Not Medical Expenses, of which you have £10 to £15 million in coverage.

A thank you would have sufficed. Now only a thank you and an apology will do.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 6th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Perhaps if you spent a little less time being a negative soul instead of thanking me for my help, you might make better choices.

The NO refers to personal accident and personal liability. Not Medical Expenses, of which you have £10 to £15 million in coverage.

A thank you would have sufficed. Now only a thank you and an apology will do.
    If you are confident that they'd pay out for an accident whilst you're ziplining, then happy days for you. Go forth and merrily zip your way along to happiness and joy. Hopefully, you'll come away from it accident free, but if you do make a claim, please let me know how you get on.

Being Mr Negative NoNo Bird, I'll for NO -you're not covered for Personal Accident and personal liability, as per the policy, to mean that I wouldn't be covered for ziplining.

• AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 7:30 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    If you are confident that they'd pay out for an accident whilst you're ziplining, then happy days for you. Go forth and merrily zip your way along to happiness and joy. Hopefully, you'll come away from it accident free, but if you do make a claim, please let me know how you get on.

Being Mr Negative NoNo Bird, I'll for NO -you're not covered for Personal Accident and personal liability, as per the policy, to mean that I wouldn't be covered for ziplining.

Instead of embarrassing yourself by posting silly statements for all to see, why didn't you simply call InsureandGo in order to check??

I guess making a fool of yourself takes less effort.

Once again, Personal Accident relates to something completely different to Medical Expenses. Personal Accident pays out compensation. Personal Liability relates to your liability to a Third Party.

For your sake, take the few minutes it takes to call InsureandGo for free. 0800 083 6237 They should still be open.

If you are of good stock, you'll come back and admit that you got it wrong.

• Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 6th Dec 17, 8:18 PM
    • 19,499 Posts
    • 25,457 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat

If you are of good stock, you'll come back and admit that you got it wrong.

I'll go for Plan B and wait for you to get PPR'd. Again.
    ah, the joy of rediscovering the "ignore poster" function.
    Happy Times.
    Last edited by Murphy_The_Cat; 06-12-2017 at 9:29 PM.

• AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    I'll go for Plan B and wait for you to get PPR'd. Again.
    How did I know that it would be too much for you to simply admit that you got it wrong?

Too bad about the ligament and having to pay for it yourself. Clearly your "very comprehensive policy" wasn't.
    InsureandGo next time?

The saddest thing, is that rather than help others out by confirming what I have written is correct, you prefer to engage in some face saving endeavour.

Zip-lining is covered for medical expenses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin