Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 8th Aug 17, 4:54 PM
    • 943Posts
    • 1,294Thanks
    Makeachange
    I feel the change, now make the change
    • 8th Aug 17, 4:54 PM
    I feel the change, now make the change 8th Aug 17 at 4:54 PM
    My debt journey has been up and down....mainly up... (as in i make alot of debt!!!!) I am in my 20's and I am a recovering gambling addict! I decided that I wasn't going to focus on tackling my debts until the idea of "oh one more bet could win me money and change my life" was out of my head.

Right now I am 9 months clean and I feel like when it comes to money my whole mindset is changing. I am glad that I have waited until now to focus on clearing debt because I think I could have fallen back into the gambling whole otherwise.

Over the course of the last 9 months I have paid my minimum payments but not really looked at what it will take to clear the debt. I am a long time lurker of this forum and I am going to document my journey!

I work part time whilst I study so i am always looking for extra ways to make money from my laptop! (Thats not gambling!!!) Ebay, surveys, etc etc!. I probably bring in my part time income again each month from online ventures My goal is to get debt free by the end of 2018

I will come back with totals. I know that I have managed to pay off around £2k in the last 9 months with little effort so imagine what i could do if i put my mind to it

MAC. x
    I WILL GET THERE.
Page 3
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 3rd Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Makeachange
    I'm now 10 months and 2 days gamble free.... that lovely 1 year is close
    Got work today, doing some overtime to extend my shift but just thinking of those extra pennies come next payday that i can take off the debt!

Got a good nights sleep last night for first time in ages so i feel like im coming out of my down patch, tho i have a doctors appointment anyway as i want to discuss my anxiety meds!
    I WILL GET THERE.
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 7th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Makeachange
    My total is going down again
    £8845.05

I have reduced my overdraft by £50 this month, which has made me very proud!
    I WILL GET THERE.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Great news. Keep going.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 17th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Makeachange
    I've been a bit quiet as ive been down and had lots of family stuff going on. but my new total is £8743.46 and its payday next friday so ill be able to make some more dents.

Im giving myself today and tomorrow to mope about a bit and get over my sulk then get back on track!
    I WILL GET THERE.
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 12th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Makeachange
    Ive been quiet as I have gone back to uni but still going hard with cracking the debts
    I WILL GET THERE.
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 13th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Makeachange
    Todays total is £8553.17. Id like to get it under £8k by xmas. I have alot of uni work and not much time to earn extra but will do my best
    I WILL GET THERE.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Butnthat also means not. Ugh time to spend either. Good luck. Maybe work out a weekly amount, that may make it seem more manageable.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 31st Oct 17, 11:04 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Makeachange
    New amount is £8466.45, ive nearly paid off a £1k
    My mental health has been a bit low.
    Uni is going well tho
    I WILL GET THERE.
    • Makeachange
    • By Makeachange 10th Nov 17, 11:31 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Makeachange
    £8,330.26 is todays total.
    I keep cracking away at it, I know that every penny will help me in the long run.
    I have lots of uni coursework, but on the plus side im barely spending money so that helps.
    Looking forward to getting my lectures finished for the semester so i have more time to put effort into this
    Hope you are all well!
    I WILL GET THERE.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,326Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter