Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 8th Aug 17, 3:04 PM
    • 8,109Posts
    • 42,244Thanks
    MSE Martin
    How good are you with numbers? Take the National Numeracy test
    • 8th Aug 17, 3:04 PM
    How good are you with numbers? Take the National Numeracy test 8th Aug 17 at 3:04 PM
    Being numerate isn’t about your algebra and calculus skills, it’s about your ability to cope with the day to day calculations all of us need to do. I’ve campaigned for financial education to be on the curriculum for many years, and we succeeded in getting it there in 2014 for senior schools. Financial numeracy is a key part of that, but of course there are many adults who struggle.

So why not see how good you are, using tests from the National Numeracy charity.

There’s the quick test which takes a couple of minutes – though far better is the full National Numeracy Challenge (requires a login). It’ll assess you and then provide free courses to improve in areas you’re lacking

Report your score
    If you do the full test, do report your score in the forum post.
    I got 98. One of my two wrong was due to rushing and refusing to use a calculator, the other I’ve been in touch with National Numeracy to dispute the answer!

Let us know below

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-08-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 6
    • MrChumley
    • By MrChumley 11th Aug 17, 8:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MrChumley
    Has the explanation to this question not been done to death now?
    Originally posted by Shrimply
    Your answer is simply 20% of £899.00. But the question said that £899.00 includes VAT of 20% on the basic price. So £899.00 = 120% of the basic price. The basic price is therefore 899.00/120%, or £749.17. Add 20% for VAT (£149.83) and you get £899.00. So the VAT amount included is £149.83.
    Originally posted by Retahfufo
    Apparently not!
    • expertlinguist
    • By expertlinguist 12th Aug 17, 8:06 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    expertlinguist
    I got 95, checked the wrong answers and I have to agree!

https://www.nnchallenge.org.uk/badges/353635-2fd.png
    Last edited by expertlinguist; 12-08-2017 at 8:07 AM. Reason: mispelling
    Nobody is perfect, except me of course

Please note: my opinions are mine alone, nobody asked me to have them, obliged me to have them or even coerced me to have them, they are mine but they are free, so if you want to share them I will not charge you for it!
    • Pitarou
    • By Pitarou 13th Aug 17, 9:00 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pitarou
    I got 99 too! I quite enjoyed some holiday maths!

I got wrong:
    You buy a laptop that costs £899, including VAT at 20%. How much of the purchase price is VAT?

Why is it not £179.80??? I cannot understand why I got it wrong.

Am I mis-reading the question?
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Consider an item that costs £100 + VAT. With VAT at 20%, the price including VAT is £120.

Now, if I told you that the price including VAT was £120 and you used the same method to calculate how much the VAT had been, you would get £24. Something's wrong, isn't it.

It's probably better if I let you figure out the rest for yourself. But here's shortcut: try dividing by 6.
    • RidgeRider
    • By RidgeRider 14th Aug 17, 11:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RidgeRider
    98% too. Quite happy with that but the question about the coach is ambiguous.
    "A coach can take 52 passengers. For every 6 children there needs to be at least one adult. What is the maximum number of children on the coach? Answers are 42,44,45 or 49."
    The driver is an adult so 45 kids or the driver isn't a passenger so 44 kids?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Aug 17, 11:47 AM
    • 36,042 Posts
    • 152,232 Thanks
    silvercar
    "A coach can take 52 passengers. For every 6 children there needs to be at least one adult. What is the maximum number of children on the coach? Answers are 42,44,45 or 49."
    Originally posted by RidgeRider
    6 children + 1 adult = 7 seats occupied.

42 children + 7 adults = 49 seats occupied.

You are suggesting that the coach driver can supervise at the same time as driving, to fill the remaining 3 seats with children, so 45 children. I'm not convinced on this, as who would supervise these extra 3 children when the driver is not watching them. Think you are over thinking this, but I can see the ambiguity.
    • Blue Eddie
    • By Blue Eddie 14th Aug 17, 5:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Blue Eddie
    I got 89, took me back to my schooldays. Made me realise how rusty my mental arithmetic has got
    • batvink
    • By batvink 15th Aug 17, 12:20 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    batvink
    Bonus Question
    Bonus question:
    If Pinkshoes says she got the VAT question wrong, how many people will repeatedly post the answer over and over...and over.
    Thanks in advance,

Steve V
    • RidgeRider
    • By RidgeRider 15th Aug 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RidgeRider

You are suggesting that the coach driver can supervise at the same time as driving, to fill the remaining 3 seats with children, so 45 children. I'm not convinced on this, as who would supervise these extra 3 children when the driver is not watching them. Think you are over thinking this, but I can see the ambiguity.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Sorry, meant to say that 42 was my first answer that was wrong. It must be 44 or 45 ….
    • tmat
    • By tmat 15th Aug 17, 1:39 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tmat
    What a lot of geeks read moneysavingexpert. No wonder it's difficult to overcharge us.... I got 100 too.
    • Wilksie
    • By Wilksie 27th Aug 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wilksie
    I can report a 98.
    Got careless with one answer and disagree with them over the other.
    • Puddleglum
    • By Puddleglum 28th Aug 17, 6:34 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 3,856 Thanks
    Puddleglum
    97 for Puddleglum
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

• JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 7th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 11,512 Posts
    • 11,165 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Originally posted by RidgeRider

Originally posted by silvercar
    I answered the same as silvercar. Got it wrong. Convinced myself that they'd got it wrong.
    But the answer is 44.
    Driver doesn't count.
    As silvercar says, 7 adults supervising 42 children take up 49 seats.
    That leaves 3 spare seats. Which are taken by one more adult and two more children.
    So 44 children and 8 adults.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 7th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 4,940 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    FatVonD
    83, quite disappointed, I thought I was good at maths!
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 8th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    99 for me, I tripped up on the coach question too! I was thinking of the set amount of children as one unit, rather than being able to have less children per adult.
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,056Posts Today

6,988Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin