Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 7th Aug 17, 7:03 PM
    • 796Posts
    • 419Thanks
    rich13348
    Company car Scotland fine
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:03 PM
    Company car Scotland fine 7th Aug 17 at 7:03 PM
    Hi,
    My company have received a fine for a company car for which I am responsible. My company has sent me a copy of the fine and instructed me to pay it or appeal it.

Should i get the company to write back and name me as the day to day keeper so i can successfully ignore it.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Aug 17, 7:12 PM
    • 40,303 Posts
    • 80,496 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:12 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:12 PM
    Is it a council penalty charge or a private parking charge? If the latter, it is not a fine. Also if it is the latter, what's the name of the parking company?

Is the keeper based in Scotland?

Have you read the NEWBIES sticky thread yet?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    • 14,467 Posts
    • 22,750 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    Who issued the parking charge?

Did it go direct to your company, or via a leasing company, like Arval?

Did the parking charge relate to a parking incident in Scotland?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 7th Aug 17, 7:37 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:37 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:37 PM
    Is it a council penalty charge or a private parking charge? If the latter, it is not a fine. Also if it is the latter, what's the name of the parking company?

Is the keeper based in Scotland?

Have you read the NEWBIES sticky thread yet?
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    Sorry it is a private parking charge

Smart Parking

Day to day keeper is based in Scotland. Company based in Wales.

Ticket will have gone via leasing company (Lex)

Ticket relates to a parking charge in Perth, Scotland

I have read the newbies sticky but does not deal with the company retaining ownership of ticket and asking Keeper to deal with it.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Aug 17, 7:51 PM
    • 40,303 Posts
    • 80,496 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:51 PM
    I suggest you get the keeper/lease Co and the company in Wales to give the name and address of the day to day keeper or lessee of the car in Scotland to Not So Smart. Make sure they identify this person as lessee or day to day keeper, not driver. You may want to tell them what wording to use.

Once you have hooked it away from the lease Co and Welsh Co, appeal as day to day keeper using the BPA template in blue. Once this has been done you can tell them that there is no keeper liability in Scotland so should cancel.

However, I am no expert so you should wait for the more experienced regulars to comment first.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 07-08-2017 at 7:53 PM.
    I don't have a sister.

• rich13348
    • By rich13348 7th Aug 17, 7:55 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:55 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 7:55 PM
    I suggest you get the keeper/lease Co and the company in Wales to give the name and address of the day to day keeper or lessee of the car in Scotland to Not So Smart. Make sure they identify this person as lessee or day to day keeper, not driver. You may want to tell them what wording to use.

Once you have hooked it away from the lease Co and Welsh Co, appeal as day to day keeper using the BPA template in blue. Once this has been done you can tell them that there is no keeper liability in Scotland so should cancel.

However, I am no expert so you should wait for the more experienced regulars to comment first.
    OK thanks Fruitcake
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Aug 17, 8:14 PM
    • 14,467 Posts
    • 22,750 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 7th Aug 17, 8:14 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 8:14 PM
    Wow, Fruity, you well underestimate yourself. If I ever see an input from you on a thread, I know that the OP will have been well advised - as is the case here. Top advice.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    • 40,303 Posts
    • 80,496 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 8:29 PM
    Wow, Fruity, you well underestimate yourself. If I ever see an input from you on a thread, I know that the OP will have been well advised - as is the case here. Top advice.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Fair play to the OP though. They have talked about the day to day keeper instead of driver, and appears to know what's what where Scotland is concerned, so has obviously done some research on the subject themselves before asking for a bit of help.
    It makes answering a lot easier when someone takes the time to do that first.
    I don't have a sister.

• nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 8th Aug 17, 6:54 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:54 AM
    • 8th Aug 17, 6:54 AM
    Yep, theyre pretty good

Smart will cancel with a good KEEPER appeal.

Check you havent been invoiced for this "fine". Arval are terrors for it.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 8th Aug 17, 7:23 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348
    Yep, theyre pretty good

Smart will cancel with a good KEEPER appeal.

Check you havent been invoiced for this "fine". Arval are terrors for it.
    Originally posted by nosferatu1001
    Vehicle is Lex not Arval and there has not been an admin charge added.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 8th Aug 17, 10:32 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348

I have now instructed Welsh company to name me as day to day keeper so I am awaiting my nice shiny copy of charge notice.

To be clear, do I tack on the bottom of the bpa appeal that there is no keeper liability in Scotland so ticket should be cancelled or do I do this in a separate online appeal?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 8th Aug 17, 10:39 PM
    • 14,467 Posts
    • 22,750 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    If you get the NtK addressed to you, I wouldn't make any contact with Smart. There is no keeper liability in Scotland, they're chasing shadows! Ignore the bams (as they say north of the border).

• nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 9th Aug 17, 7:10 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Yep, once it is safely with you and theyre not contacting anyone else, ignore it.

Tell your firm that you ARE dealing with it, b ut the parking firm MAY lie and get back in touch with them. State they cannot have any liability in this, and you are happy dealing with it.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 9th Aug 17, 7:28 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348
    Yep, once it is safely with you and theyre not contacting anyone else, ignore it.

Tell your firm that you ARE dealing with it, b ut the parking firm MAY lie and get back in touch with them. State they cannot have any liability in this, and you are happy dealing with it.
    Originally posted by nosferatu1001
    Sounds good. I will wait for my ntk then email my company. Thanks for the help.
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 8th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348
    Hi all my copy of the parking fine arrived a couple of days ago. I just want to clear something up, do I now appeal using blue bpa appeal or do I just ignore straight off as no keeper liability in Scotland?

Thanks
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Sep 17, 3:19 PM
    • 32,725 Posts
    • 16,743 Thanks
    Quentin
    Did you read #12 & #13?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 49,919 Posts
    • 63,332 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Dunno...personally I would write and say that I am indeed the day to day 'keeper' of the car, so any letters must be addressed to me (not xxxx company). However, if Smart would like to furnish you with their evidence of who the driver was, you will pass the notice to that person but otherwise you are aware that you have no liability in law, in Scotland.

The reason I would engage ONCE is to ensure Smart do not revert to the company saying they've made you up!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• rich13348
    • By rich13348 8th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348
    Hi Quentin, yes I did read posts 12 and 13 given that i quoted post 13 in post 14 but that's for being an !!!!.
    Coupon-mad, I will do just that. Its probably a good idea as the transport managers fine speculative invoice paying finger is a bit twitchy and even a sniff of a debt collector would have him shooting off a payment.

Is it OK If I come back with my letter to OK it?
    Last edited by rich13348; 08-09-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Sep 17, 12:42 AM
    • 49,919 Posts
    • 63,332 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Of course, always good to get several of us to look.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• rich13348
    • By rich13348 13th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    rich13348
    OK so my email is as follows.

Dear Smart Parking,
    I can confirm I, rich13348 of my address, my street, my town, my county, my postcode, am the day-to-day keeper of vehicle registration XXYYXXX listed in Parking Charge Notice Number xxyyyyyyy.
    There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. However, if you would like to furnish me with your evidence of who the driver was, I will pass the notice to that person but otherwise I am aware I have no liability in law, in Scotland.

Thank you

Rich13348

Does this sound OK?
    Last edited by rich13348; 13-09-2017 at 9:08 PM. Reason: Edited after beamer guys suggestion and Quentin and KeithP
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,367Posts Today

8,098Users online

Martin's Twitter