Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,840Posts
    • 43,576Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 9
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 30th Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    First day back was great - I had both classes (thankfully only 39 children) and they were so well-behaved and fun, that it went really well. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but my partner teacher and I have to cover each other's classes when one of us is out, as she was today.

Payday tomorrow - yay! My generous 1% uplift or whatever it's called will be going in, along with £43 (before tax) worth of arrears. I'll be rolling in it (JOKE!!) The extra for this month is going to go either on clearing my credit card for the money I spent whilst away with DD, or going into savings.

Next month, I'll get back my expenses from the training course I went on - ooh and I've got another course coming up this month too, yay!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 2nd Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Another NSD under my belt, and I've paid off my credit card, phew!

Messaged ex OH on facebook asking for him to pay double maintenance this month, as he didn't pay anything in September....seeing as it's the only way I can contact him and it appears he didn't open my last message sent 4 years ago, I think I can safely anticipate that this message won't get opened either
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on the NSD and paying the credit card yay !
    Sorry to hear the ex is being difficult with money again, but I am glad you have had a good return to work.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hmmm, the owner of the flat has been in touch this afternoon by email, saying that he was only told YESTERDAY by the HA that I had put an offer in. I find that hard to believe, given that I told him I was going to, but after the way the HA were so inefficient in their dealings with me, maybe he's not telling fibs after all!

Anyway, he's not yet bought the other 50% of the flat, so am I still interested?

I don't like the use of "yet" and think that it all sounds too fishy to be true, so am going to steer clear, even though the flat is still the only thing remotely in my price bracket. I'm once bitten, twice shy.....

In other (no) news, the exOH hasn't opened my facebook message, nor has he paid any maintenance yet this month, so I presume something's gone wrong in his life and I'll be the last, if ever, to know about it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

And breathe!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 12,939 Posts
    • 46,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope the ex sorts the money he owes you both. Enjoy the courses and keep a cool head with this property. Maybe perhaps you can even bargain him down as he now wants to sell?
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Nov 17, 8:22 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've decided to not go for the flat, there's something fishy about the owner and I'm thinking that KW, DD and I would want more space if, as and when we all move in together, so it wouldn't be the right place in those circumstances.

S*dding exOH STILL hasn't paid his maintenance for November.....so I think the likelihood of him paying for September is nil

I have been naughty and as well as buying some textbooks for maths, I've also bought a cute little 4-drawer storage box that I'm not sure what I'm going to put in it, but I have walked past it on 3 separate occasions in Morrison's and wanted it, so on the 4th time, I thought "I obviously need it!"
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I had Ofsted this week! Stayed at school til 10:30pm, was observed teaching maths and good really positive feedback via the Head - maybe she'll back off now?!?

It's a huge relief to have it done, we were all on tenterhooks until Wednesday each week, as we were 'overdue' but we all thought it would happen in spring, to let the new Head settle in as it were. We'll know our rating in 2 weeks' time, fingers crossed!

My mojo is returning big-time
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 12,939 Posts
    • 46,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    lol. You are so amazingly positive Kittikins. Most people have a breakdown after Ofsted and you actually cheer up

Well done you. I hope they are blooming proud of you and will leave you alone now. Have a great weekend.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Nov 17, 10:53 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you lovely It was nice to feel that I can actually teach, at least with my lovely maths group, who I had last year as well

So far, so lovely - waking up with KW *swoon* and this evening, one of my BFFs asked her lovely girlie to marry her I love a wedding, am bound to cry!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Nov 17, 6:51 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on the ofstead KK. Its great to hear you sounding so positive and much happier. Ooo a wedding, good excuse for a new outfit and maybe a new hat ? I personally can't wear hats but lots of lovely ones around if they suit you.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 19th Nov 17, 11:20 AM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I always joke, like Cilla Black, about getting a hat for a wedding, but I never wear them, I don't suit hats at all!

I think the medicine and Ofsted are helping my overall mood a lot! Even if my school doesn't keep it's current rating, at least I know that my teaching on the day was good enough for an HMI (higher than an Ofsted person, apparently) and that's made me so happy!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Nov 17, 6:48 PM
    • 12,939 Posts
    • 46,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm glad you are feeling better. Life is weird isn't it? some days you are on top of the world, other days it feels like you can't cope with it. We will all get there in the end as long as we stay positive and keep trying.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 20th Nov 17, 10:41 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've been out at a really useful CPD course today, but am now stressing about going back in tomorrow *sigh* I know it's not going to be a linear getting better, and that I'll have off days.

At least s*dding ex has now paid November's maintenance, so he's just one month behind....grrr...
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 30th Nov 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Eeeeeeeek! I'm getting very excited - a 2-bed shared ownership house came on the market 2 days ago, just as I was leaving school to go home, and DD and I are off to see it tonight!!!!!!!!!

It's in the town we want to live in, but not right in the centre like the last place. It's quite ugly from the outside (I'm not used to modern houses, the most modern I've lived in was 1954, and other than that, have always been in Victorian/Georgian splendour, lol). However, the inside is quirky, big enough for 2 (or hopefully 3) of us, and has 2 parking spaces, so in time, hopefully KW would be able to save up for a car/scooter to get to the station a few miles away.

The mortgage company seem happy enough with the lack of maintenance payments, as in they think I can still get a mortgage without them being included, so I just have to hope that we like it when we see it.

In other news, I've had a small payrise, which after tax, will probably give me buttons, but it looks good for the mortgage application I guess!

The evil one has also given my co-teacher and I a full day out of school for "Christmas shopping" today. We'd normally have a half day PPA, but she's boosting it for everyone, to say thank you for all our hard work since September! Maybe she has a glimmer of a heart.....

Saving isn't going very well, but it is Christmas and I am buying presents (not always for other people )
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 30th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Oh Kittikins how exciting I hope you both like the house keeping everything crossed for you. I am glad the head is recognising your worth and hard work
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 30th Nov 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The house is AMAZING! So much better than the flat, in terms of size, decoration, the location is still great and we soooooo want it! It's also a share of the freehold, rather than a leasehold property, so if we were able to buy the lot at any point, it would make it fully ours

Downsides - the current owners are buying a new build that's not going to be ready until May. Also, they are getting a LOT of interest and so will be picking the people they like the best to buy it. Hopefully I'll be in a great position as I have the mortgage offer ready and will send it over to the estate agent (although I will need a new one due to the exOH situation, grrrr, but shall keep quiet about that until I have another mortgage offer on the table!), and do have proof of deposit and all that.

We can wait til May, in a way it would be good to have more time to sort our carp out (I have enough tat on my own to probably fill a four-bed house, lol) and save more money for unexpected necessities!

Wish us luck!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 30th Nov 17, 8:11 PM
    • 12,939 Posts
    • 46,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG. OMG. I hope you get it. May is good as it gives you plenty of time to get ready for it. It is something fabulous to look forward to a lovely house in the summer.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 43,576 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The owners picked us!!!!!

We've found a solicitor, have asked the mortgage people to hurry up and get me a new mortgage deal sorted to take account of my slightly changed circumstances, and are trying not to be too hyper......

Took KW to see the outside of it yesterday and he is really happy too

We also went to a Christmas market and had a very lovely time, the three of us. DD is very relaxed with KW now, and was also good at not letting me spend too much money! In fact, she's actually donated some of her pocket money this month towards paying solicitor's bills for the house!!

The Marmite jar is very unhealthy at the moment....it now has but £4 in pound coins and I don't know how much in silver. I've used it, rather than the bank, for spending....am going to look in a charity/pound shop for something I can't open!
    Last edited by Kittikins; 03-12-2017 at 4:03 PM. Reason: !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 12,939 Posts
    • 46,499 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Brilliant news. I can't think of a better thing. OMG. A house of your very own. It sounds like your DD and other half are all in agreement and are all supportive too. Here's to a great 2018 for all of you in your lovely home. You have so much to look forward to now.

I love it when things fall into place. Really really well done. don't worry about spending your money bank savings. I did it and have been spending the Christmas money all year and have nothing saved up. lol. Gotta laugh. it will fall into place though I know.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Dec 17, 11:18 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Woo hoo !!! Kittikins I am so pleased for all of you
    What great news just in time for Christmas and the new year. You deserve some good luck and good news xx
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin