Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,781Posts
    • 43,265Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 7
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 18,181 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its good that the housing association have contacted you KK lets hope that something else comes up soon ! Hope you are feeling better.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 27th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Feeling worse Spent most of the afternoon coughing and spluttering and had to put a wet paper towel (the cure all!) on my forehead as I was rather hot, lol.

Can't be sick tomorrow (unless I'm physically sick!) as we have a local authority inspection that's apparently 100x worse than Ofsted and I need to be there really....I don't think the Head would appreciate me being out and as she has a fierce temper, I don't want to get on the wrong side of her

Anyway, in more exciting news, KW and I went to the allotment yesterday and we made some new friends Our neighbour on the allotment introduced herself and was totally lovely - then whilst chatting to her, it turns out she and her husband live opposite KW!!! Talk about a small world....

There's an allotment party on Saturday to which KW has been invited, I'm so pleased for him (I can't make it and really want him to go and make some like-minded chums )

In spending news, I bought us veggie pasty and chips for dinner last night as we were starving after the lottie and then a trip to B&Q to look at sheds and garden stuff

40p to the Marmite jar of joy. I've had to transfer £20 from savings into my bank account just in case my latest Amazon order takes me over the edge before I get paid. I bought some new socks (woohoo!), eco-friendly bamboo toothbrushes and some card so I can make an awesome framed picture for my first anniversary with KW in November. There's a brilliant quote he'll LOVE and I've discovered I can buy it as a pdf and print it myself a lot cheaper than having it sent to me on equivalent card

I need petrol but am hoping to get by til Friday - my month of no credit card spending has gone well, but I am closer to zero on my bank accounts than I'd like to be, without having spent much. Maybe it's all that rounding down that's doing it....hmmm....might rethink it and only do it weekly rather than daily next month.

Nothing's come up on the housing front. There is a flat in a town a bit further away but that's why I'm not going for it, as it would take us probably nearly 30 mins to get to DD's school in the morning, which would get on our nerves after the first day or so!

Had to pay £10 towards school Christmas night out, so will have £18 plus drinks on the night to pay. I've cancelled my mum's expensive present of sponsoring an olive tree that cost me £30/quarter as I can't afford to keep it up. I said I'd give KW £20 as half of the annual allotment cost but it will have to wait until after payday. He won't mind at all I know, and isn't expecting it anyway, but I want to do it.

Right, I'll have a quick mooch about MSE then go and finish my marking and have a reasonably early night before tomorrow's excitement!!!
    Marmite jar savings £101.15
    House deposit savings £51021.94
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 12,838 Posts
    • 46,388 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope the inspection is ok. It is so stressful hopefully it will be over by the weekend. Your shopping purchases sound quite inspiring. Ive never even heard of bamboo toothbrushes.

I'm not going to our night out. It's over £50! Glad that yours is affordable. Congratulations on no credit card spending.

Hopefully another house will come up soon, but choose one that suits your needs. Fingers crossed.

Good luck tomorrow.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 28th Sep 17, 10:08 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Well, I survived and wasn't handed a P45 when I left this evening, so hopefully wasn't too horrendous. Trying not to stress about the fact I'm not a robot and that me and my co-teacher have different styles and that we may get pitted against each other.

Had a NSD and transferred 6p into online savings, woop woop!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 30th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Payday yesterday, woooooooo!! My tax seems to have sorted itself out now, so I didn't get the mahoosive amount taken off for my union fees, which is a relief as I hate having to pay money back.

Bought some scrumptious cheeses, crackers and wine to have for dinner with KW, as I really fancied something treaty but couldn't be bothered to cook. Thankfully we are so perfect for each other that he likes that kind of thing as much as me

Put petrol in the car as it was nearly on fumes and I'm fuming because today is the last day of the month and my ex-husband hasn't paid his maintenance yet. Hopefully it'll come in soon, as I really do need it!!

Need to give DD her pocket money for the month, £8 (£2/week given on Saturdays) and will need to give her a bit more next week as she's going out on the town with her friends; her first ever girly shopping trip!

I've got £7 in my purse, and will need to get more money out as I'm off to my school reunion tomorrow, which will involve a trip to the pub! Hopefully I won't spend anything today, as I've got some work to do and it's a day for much needed relaxation and chilling out after feeling ill all week.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 30th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I put some coppers in KW's pot for the seaside and paid him my half of our allotment rent. We had such a lovely time this morning poring over a seed catalogue

The fancy card has arrived for me to print his anniversary present. I'm toying with trying to type the Dylan Thomas quote up myself and print it out but the one on etsy does look far more stylish than I think I can do. I've got another month before needing to have it ready and have 25 pieces of card, so plenty of time to experiment!

My bamboo socks have arrived as well, they feel very nice. Not sure how warm they're going to be but at least they don't have holes in!!

UPDATE: I think I've cracked the typing up - just hope it'll print out as nicely as it looks on screen, going to take rather a lot of ink and I may find it hard not to get over-excited and give it to him next time I see him!!
    Last edited by Kittikins; 30-09-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 30th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Just transferred £500 into online savings as otherwise I might feel like I'm rich this month....
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 30th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 18,181 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on savings and printing pressie for KW. Hope you enjoy the school reunion.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 12,838 Posts
    • 46,388 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The Dylan Thomas Project sounds great. It is very creative. Well done on saving so much too and on paying for allotment - it will cover it's own costs. yay.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 2nd Oct 17, 7:19 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Feeling pants tonight. The flat appears to be still on the market so now I'm thinking that the owner has lied and is going to jack the price up in a few days (KW thinks we have had a lucky escape). School is yuk, well certain aspects are and it might take a while for it to change, if at all.

Thank goodness for KW and DD, eh?!? I spent about £15 over the weekend (including this morning) on nothing in particular, grrr.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 2nd Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    and now home life is seriously carp again. I can't go on like this.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 18,181 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    (((Hugs))) Kittikins so sorry to hear things are so miserable for you at the moment. x
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Oct 17, 6:32 AM
    • 12,838 Posts
    • 46,388 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am so sorry I hope today is better. See if you can go out for a walk or doing something nice as a family just so you have some escape. Good luck we are thinking of you.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Not coping well this week at all. Thank goodness for the amazing NHS, KW and DD. Feel guilty that I'm burdening people but also relieved that they're listening.

60p for the jar.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 18,181 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I'm glad you have someone close to help you through the tough times KK hope you are feeling better soon x
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 12,838 Posts
    • 46,388 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Please take some time out. Go away for a day somewhere and just chill and drink tea, coffee and have cake. Sod the expense. You deserve it. It will get better. I think the dark nights are making it worse so give yourself a treat. hugs, swxxxxx
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    KW has been fab. We had a rare Saturday night out (usually I'm with DD as she loves having "movie night" en famille on a Saturday....) and instead of cooking and watching a film at his place, I went over and did a bit of work in the afternoon whilst he was working, then we met up and had a scrummy meal and then went to see the new Bladerunner film. A proper date night! It was lush

DD was out at a girly shopping trip, dinner, film, sleepover extravaganza so I was able to pick her up around 10am this morning. Getting away from everyday life was so worth it. I had a good chat to the friend's parents for a couple of hours before we left and took DD and her friend for a swim nearby.

It felt like a normal weekend like we used to have, but better. I'm behind on what I needed to achieve for work and am starting to stress about going in to school tomorrow, but am feeling more rested and hopefully able to cope better.

I know it's going to take quite some time to deal with what's going on, so am making the most of how I'm feeling right now.

25p for the Marmite jar. I'm thinking that in a day or so when it gets to £100, giving it to KW as a third towards the shed on our allotment. He has managed to scrape together the money for it, but think it'll be gratefully received and I am planning on enjoying the allotment nearly as much as him!
    • butterfly2001
    • By butterfly2001 12th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 6,766 Thanks
    butterfly2001
    kittikins, I just want to say hello and please look after yourself,, i'm a teacher too and know how stressful it can be xx
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!

• Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thanks butterfly x

I had an hour's-long observation this morning, no feedback yet other than a vague "there's lot to celebrate". I think the observer needs to run her notes past someone else before she officially feeds back to me, when no doubt there will be many concerns added....

I finished the obs and spent the rest of the day trying not to cry Still feel rubbish now. I have no real opinion on how it went as I doubt myself so much...

I'm tired and over-emotional again, lol. I had a great day out on Tuesday at a training course but wanted to cry the whole day because I was stressing about being back in school the following day The week feels like it's been really long, and I hate to say it, but I can't wait for half term.

Ho hum. Still no likelihood of buying or renting anywhere

Quite a few NSDs are being racked up though, which is nice.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 12,838 Posts
    • 46,388 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    You sound really down. Most people are during the process and it shouldn't be like this. Hopefully you will have had a good result by now and will have heard.

I hope you can focus on the fact that it is nearly half term. We are nearly there. It is #Friday and hopefully you can take the weekend off. I will try to.

Roll on half term.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin