Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,753Posts
    • 43,147Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 6
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 43,147 Thanks
    Kittikins
    DD LOVES the flat She's already planning her 13th birthday celebrations (in 6 months and 5 days' time, lol).

Had a manic day at school, in a good way, just busy, busy but it was good to have enthusiastic kids and I'm now already in bed wondering how much I need to get ready for tomorrow or if I can have an early night....

I can hear DD pottering around in her room, probably starting the decluttering process already!! She'd have us in tomorrow if she could!
    Marmite jar savings - first counted on 6.8.17 £67.80
    Current £94.35
    House deposit savings £50512.62
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am so pleased your DD loves the flat KK. All systems go now then !
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Sep 17, 1:27 AM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 43,147 Thanks
    Kittikins
    5p and 73p transferred into online savings.

Application now fully uploaded and submitted to HA. Hope I've remembered every document they need, there were so many!!
    Current £94.35
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 43,147 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oops, forgot to send all of the bank account details to the HA, they could only see £26k rather than £50k! Hopefully I've now submitted them all and they'll be able to be the Man from Del Monte

Yesterday was a NSD, so I put my remaining £1 coin into the Marmite jar. When I get to £104, it will be DD's pocket money for 2018 all ready to go! Recently, I started giving it to her as a monthly rather than weekly sum, so that she could start budgeting, and she's been really good with it.

Over to KW's tonight, yippee! We're hopefully going to go and explore our new allotment, if the postie brings the key today. Fingers crossed
    Current £94.35
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hope they say YES ! Everything crossed for you. Enjoy the new allotment
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hooray it is all falling into place. Happy time at KWs and good luck at allotment.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 16th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 43,147 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Grrr, the key didn't arrive, but the rain did, so that wasn't a massive loss.

Bag of carrots from MrM's for 9p went beautifully into our chickpea and veggie goulash, combined with veggies KW was given from his gardening friends I bought an incredibly cheap but you wouldn't know it bottle of red wine and took over cooking apples from our tree at home and we had an amazingly relaxed evening, cooking, chatting, listening to music. Bliss.......

Still no news on the flat, but I'm hopeful that Monday will bring the news I'm waiting for.

21p moved in one account. Going to be a spendy day as I'm taking MissKitty out to Oxford but having spent virtually nothing all week, I can handle that
    Current £94.35
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on bargain food! Oxford is fun I hope you have a ball. Good luck with the keys. Gosh I can't believe how quickly this has all happened!

Hope you are having a good day today.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 43,147 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The key was for KW's allotment but I think it still hasn't arrived!

No news yet on my flat application My fingers are aching from being crossed so tightly!

Just moved 70p into savings Spent £42 on new netball kit for DD!!
    Current £94.35
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Sep 17, 9:31 AM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on 70p - every bit helps.

I bet you will get keys for allotment and news on house on the same day. It's like the buses, you wait for ages and then two come at once.

It's sunny here I hope you have a good day.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 21st Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,753 Posts
    • 43,147 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Luckily, we got the allotment key yesterday and went to have a look at our "country estate". It's very exciting and we're so happy, even though as you'd expect, there's a lot to do. Thankfully KW can borrow tools from his gardening job and is going to ask his volunteer team if anyone would like clearing the plot party. Fingers crossed!

Sadly, annoyingly, depressingly, the owner of the flat decided today to withdraw the flat from sale and buy the remaining 50% of it himself. I'm gutted. The only consolation is that I had decided to hold off on appointing a solicitor and getting the mortgage application underway until I had the OK from the Housing Association, which would have come today, as I discovered in the email telling me that the deal was all off

No idea where I go from here. There is nothing around that is remotely affordable due to living in a hugely rich part of the world, but earning pennies in comparison to most other people. Hopefully something else will come up soon........

Feeling rather glum.
    Current £94.35
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Oh Kittikins exciting news about the allotment but (((hugs))) so sorry to hear about the flat. Hope something else comes along soon x
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Omg, how mean were they????! I am so sorry. I can't believe someone would be that cruel, make you do all that work and back out at the last minute. I do hope you can try to chill and not let it upset you. Please treat yourself kindly this weekend you deserve it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

572Posts Today

4,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin