Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,754Posts
    • 43,153Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 5
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 29th Aug 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good luck with the property KK, but don't be tempted to accept if its not the right one just because you're desperate to move out.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 29th Aug 17, 10:34 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Trying to weight up the positives and negatives

NEGATIVES
    Damp - how much to fix and who's going to do it...
    Needs new carpets asap (current ones are just lying on top of the floor surface)
    Could do with - new kitchen/bathroom, but I would live with them
    Need to do a bit of work to wooden window frame/external door, but it might be doable with wood filler.
    Only own 50% of it as it's a shared ownership place.
    Need to find out how much it would be to get the lease extended from 79 years back up to 99.
    POSITIVES
    Amazing location - right in the centre of the town MissKitty and I both love, but also very quiet and tucked away.
    Great room sizes - she'd have a room the same size as mine, and as she's currently in a shoe box, that would be much appreciated.
    Parking space - some properties, even big houses, in the town, don't have any parking, so this is a big bonus, as I wouldn't have to buy a parking permit for the town carparks.
    Sort of got a tiny patch of "patio" outside the door. No-one has to go past the door of the flat to get to another property, so we could annex the area for a teeny tiny table and chairs.
    There's an apple tree in the car park.
    There are only about 6 flats there.
    I'd be able to drop DD off at school on the way to my school, without going out of my way at all.
    Independence, for all its positives and negatives.

I just hope I didn't annoy the owner too much that he refuses to sell to me....
    Marmite jar savings £96.35
    House deposit savings £50513.60
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 31st Aug 17, 9:14 AM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hooray for payday!

Reverbe'd 20p this morning, so that's gone in the Marmite jar

£500.44 - optimistically paid into savings, but will borrow money back if I need to in the month.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 31st Aug 17, 9:20 AM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Apart from the damp it sounds great. Check it isn't going to be expensive to fix first please. My rebuilding cost a fortune as I was ripped off by builders.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 31st Aug 17, 6:12 PM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I agree with SW. That's a lot of positives KW but get them to sort the damp before you sign away your hard saved cash !
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 1st Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've not heard back from either the owner or the housing association Hoping that the former is maybe away and not checking emails, and not that he doesn't want to deal with me.....

MissKitty and I have been to London for the last 2 days, we did lots of walking around, saw the ravens and the crown jewels at the Tower of London (and thankfully bought tickets online which saved money!!), ate out 3 times in restaurants (yummy but oh my goodness at the same time) and saw Les Mis last night, which was wonderful on the Children's West End thing, where we got a free ticket for DD, hoorah!

We also had yummy lunch with one of my BFFs and her fabulous daughter. It was so lovely to catch up with her, it was like we hadn't seen each other in days rather than possibly a couple of years. We're not going to leave it so long til next time.

I think I've probably spent a fortune, but fudge it, we've had a ball - and we took our own drinks and snacks in for the interval, and didn't go crazy when out and about. DD's very aware that I need to be saving money for us to get a new home, bless her, and even offered to let me halve her pocket money! Love my girl xxxxxxxxx

I slept better than I have done in months - and I think it was due to the air conditioning unit's white noise rather than anything else. I wasn't tipsy and I was sharing a small double bed with my rather tall baby girl and our teddies I'm going to see if I can find a sleep app to help me tonight!

I'll update my totals tomorrow, CBA tonight....
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I got an email early yesterday evening from the flat owner, saying it's still available, the housing association have done something about the damp (not sure if it's just the outside or the inside remedial work). All systems go!

I've asked to have another look, as I think MissKitty should give her opinion too, and am waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I'm starting to get all the paperwork together for the mortgage application and the Housing Association.

I've got a school meeting with the vicar tomorrow, so am going to ambush him and ask him to certify my ID documents.

Excited and nervous in equal measure A much better place to be than yesterday when I seriously wondered about my mental health

Transferred 42p into online account.
    Last edited by Kittikins; 03-09-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm not surprised you were stressed. Putting in offers etc and considering it for a new house is one of the most stressful things you can do. Glad you are in London and chilling out. It sounds glorious. Enjoy it. I think you are not sleeping due to stress but hopefully you will have a better night now.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Sep 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good luck Kittikins I have my fingers crossed for you
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I can't view the flat again until next week, and have a stack of paperwork to fill in before the mortgage company will apply for an agreement in principle, but at least I'm making progress.

The vicar meeting is tomorrow, but I saw him today and primed him

Transferred 95p into online savings with one bank and 70p with another. High finance eh?! These bits are helping the balance go up faster than I would have imagined, so I'm quite happy about that, and haven't really noticed the loss of the pennies so far.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    wow your house deposit savings have shot up above 50K well done KK
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 5th Sep 17, 10:10 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you I keep on thinking I've set things up wrongly, but I'm pretty sure I'm accurate on my recording. I have so many accounts, that's the problem!!

I'm hopefully going to be chatting to the mortgage advisor tomorrow afternoon so that he can then make an application for me. Gulp.

I found out, though, that I can't extend the lease on the flat until it's in the low 70s (it's at 78 years now) and even then, they can turn around and say no. So, it could affect my ability to sell it on....but hopefully I'll have a change in circumstances before the low 70s....

NSD today - yippee! I nearly spent £1, just because it's a round coin not a new one and I wanted to get rid of it, but that's just silly....so, when I went to the Tesco/post office, to send a parcel back to Amazon, I ended up putting the coin back in my purse, safe for another day

Just moved 75p online as something came out of one of my bank accounts.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Darn it, the mortgage chap didn't call me......and I was so caught up in first day of school excitement/meetings etc that I didn't notice until nearly 5pm.

Had a great day with my new class, they really got to grips with my expectations and I've just got to remember to stay consistent with them....

Nearly a NSD, bought a beautiful scrapbook to put the class prayers in, as they all wrote so beautifully and I'd like to celebrate (especially as I'm the school RE lead)
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thankfully, mortgage chap called yesterday and we had a good chat - at lunchtime today, I became the proud owner of a "decision in principle" I've got to contact the flat owner and arrange to take DD to see it, then hopefully it'll be go, go, go!!

Have had a fab start to the school year, it's been busy, busy, busy but the class are great and I'm going to enjoy helping them progress.

On the money front, I seem to be going great guns at putting the odd pennies into the house fund. I'm going to be using £46k on the deposit and the rest will be used for moving money and buying furniture etc. I'm also going to try and stop using my credit cards at all, as unless it's a big purchase, I should be able to have the money in my account this month.

Tomorrow will be a spendy day, I'm taking MissKitty to the cinema
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Fantastic news about the house. It will be so good to have a place of your own.

Well done on savings and have fun at the cinema.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Sep 17, 10:32 PM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thanks SW, the cinema was great fun - I'm not a fan of superhero films per se, but this one was quite good, and it was lovely to see DD so excited!!

We took our own popcorn and drinks, got the train and had bread and cheese for lunch. A lovely friend invited us over for dinner, rather than us go out for a meal, and we ate ourselves happy whilst watching Strictly!

During the day, DD and I tried out a few sofas in HoFraser

15p in the Marmite jar and a few coppers to take to KW's for the seaside fund.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    £2 in marmite jar - no match subs needed this morning at DD's netball
    80p in jar - change from my much-needed coffee! (Note to self - have one at home next time!!)

Yippeeeee! We're going to see the flat tomorrow evening
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    How exciting ! Make sure you see it in daylight too as things can look very different in the evening especially as its now getting dark earlier. Hope it lives up to expectations and you will both be very happy there x
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 4,754 Posts
    • 43,153 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you We're very excited!!!!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 12,784 Posts
    • 46,338 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on cinema, and happy viewing of the flat. Visit several times, take photos as you don't remember everything. Speak to the neighbours about how nice the area is etc.

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,672Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin