Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,930Posts
    • 43,931Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 14
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Feb 18, 2:44 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 46,662 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope DD can be talked round. I hope work calms down for you. Well done on nice food, savings, car bits, and that you are no longer a Dulux Sog. lol.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Today will almost certainly be a NSD. Trying to be calm, as I can feel the tension rising by the minute I've got a doctor's appointment for Tuesday so hoping she will be able to keep me sane as it were!

Seen a few more jobs that I need to gird my loins to apply for...

DD seems happier today, certainly in less tummy pain, which is a huge relief. I'm trying to be really positive around her so that I can do my best to lessen her negative feelings.
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 46,662 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad you are seeing dr. I hope DD is ok. Both of you take it easy. Try to have some rest today.

Ive got a pile of marking but I am putting it off till later.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I got all my planning done and uploaded for the week and DD and I went for a stroll down to the village church. She seems much happier today than she has been for weeks, just hope this lasts.

Dreading tomorrow, but at least I've got fabulous French to teach in the afternoon
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oooh, forgot to 'say', I'm doing a strange kind of spending challenge I made up this month....Kind of living off a pension plus child benefit income. I think the idea came about when the mortgage advisors told me I needed an £18k income in retirement and I realised I was going to be pretty hard up when an old lady....I know it's a long time off though

Pension is £164.35 for a single person; child benefit is £20.70. As there are 4 weeks in February, the total is £740.20.

I've taken out my £500 rent, and am going to do my darndest to live off the £240.20 until next payday. Whatever is left in the bank is going into savings.

In case we decide not to, or are unable to buy the house with everything that is going on, I want to have as much squirreled away so that when we go for it again, we're in an even better position, as we'll be that bit older

My £240.20 has already been dipped into when I filled the car up with getting more expensive again every time petrol, gave DD her pocket money for the month, got my hair cut and eyebrows tamed and I have £155.09 left until 28th February.

If I don't manage it, I'll try not to beat myself up too much, as I have in reality already put £500 into savings this month, so anything more will be a bonus.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Feb 18, 9:37 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 46,662 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Looks like we are all having a low spend month. I hope it all works out with DD. Good luck at work tomorrow. Just take it a day at a time. Focus on payday and the holidays. That's what I do to keep me going. Good luck.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Doctor has signed me off for the remainder of the week. Feeling guilty and stressed that maybe I've forgotten to do something major, but don't think I have. I've turned work email notifications off my phone and will just check in once a day (if I can restrain myself to that!)

Spent £2.10 on rubbish and £17.20 on prescriptions.

The official meeting has been put back a day, and the union chap is coming in "to balance up the numbers". Glad I've got his support!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 46,662 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad the dr is being so supportive and that the union is with you. Please rest and let's hope someone sorts the head out.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Both days have been NSDs, phew! DD still seems to be feeling positive and the tummy aches appear to be subsiding somewhat - she's cut out dairy products which is helping, and I guess seeing me less anxious and being proactive and positive can only be good as well.

If I can get new employment sorted ASAP then it's looking more positive for the house move. We're still waiting for the housing association, but at the moment, I'm in no rush to chase them....
    Last edited by Kittikins; 08-02-2018 at 9:52 PM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Another NSD, yay! DD is also getting happier and less tummy-achy by the day, which is heartwarming.

I'm running on adrenaline and horribly stressed but can see possibility of light at the end of the tunnel.......just need to really relax during this next week, so that I don't go back frazzled.

KW is back after a week away at a trade fair, so going over to see him tomorrow, yay!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The HA have approved our application, so we are a HUGE leap forward

I've emailed my head to let her know and ask her to be a referee and am actively looking for jobs elsewhere. I just need to make sure the timing works for me, but hopefully I'll be out of there come July and on to brighter things.

I put my final £1 coin into the pot yesterday, and have taken £20 out to see how long I can eke it out over half term. I need to buy some veggies for tonight's dinner, but have £7.37 credit on my credit card, which will be plenty.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Phew! The reference request has been agreed. Time to get a job-hunting! It is a MASSIVE relief, as part of me thought the head might say no, just to be mean and really muck up my career.

YS food was bought yesterday for dinner and I made a scrumptious (even if I say so myself) cake for pudding KW and I had a lovely evening and I got there a few hours before him and did some cleaning and school work. I find his place very peaceful during the day - shame he has an ill neighbour upstairs who also drinks and shouts and hollers during the nights. He won't miss that element of bachelor life, I'm sure!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    NSD today again hooray!

I took DD for a swim, popped into school and realised that I'll have 2 maths lessons in hand for next term, as whoever covered my class didn't seem to look at any of the plans I left.....*sigh* Ah well, saves me doing more work than I need to this week I guess!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've got £3.50 in MrT vouchers, to go with the £4 in my purse

I spent the other £16 the other day on hair bits in Primarni for DD, a drink and cake for us in JLoois, park and ride in Oxford and put 70p into the sealed tin.

I'm not planning on spending today, but have a day out tomorrow, lunch with current and former colleagues and parking to pay for. Looking forward to it though, will be nice to see kindred spirits!

Received my free cake and drink vouchers from JLewis

GRRR - Had to go out to get eggs so that DD and I could bake a scrumptious cake, so not all bad! Also put petrol in the car as I was nearly running on fumes....Nothing in my purse now, so I'll need to get money for tomorrow's lunch and parking.....

I know my living off pension money isn't going to happen, despite my efforts, I'm about £30 off having spent the lot already!!
    Last edited by Kittikins; 12-02-2018 at 8:56 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 46,662 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It's great that you are trying to cut your spending. I know it is so hard to get used to spending less. I haven't spent much money on myself but I have bought a few things for Steve since he's been ill and it soon adds up.

Well done on asking for a reference. Glad the house is getting closer.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hmmmmm, had a few bad days spending-wise; I had counselling set-up calls which made me feel low and binging and of course spending money on carp is how I dealt with it. Grrr....not too bad, but I'm way over my self-imposed budget.

However, in nicer news - I took DD down to our old stomping ground so she could have a sleepover with her BFF I met her at the beach yesterday and we went for a wander, some chips and gelato! The latter was worth the nearly 20 minutes we waited to get to the front of the queue *slurp *

Then, when we got home, there was a nice big envelope full of documents for KW and I to read through and sign for the house

We're both hugely excited but also freaked out - it's felt hypothetical for so long, and now it's becoming our reality!

I've applied for the first of about 4 jobs I'm going to go for, and the dreaded meeting has been pushed back to 5th March, which will take me into summer term before she starts getting really nasty.

The back to school blues have hit this morning, I'm feeling full of bad adrenaline but have to pop in to set something up for the whole school to use tomorrow, and hopefully being there and slaying the dragon of fear will help.

As KW says, it's only a building and it's only a job - I'm worth more. Love that man to bits!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 46,662 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Omg you are so strong. You've cheered up DD, sorted out housey, applied for 4 jobs. That's amazing.

I have the back to work blues too but you don't need them - I can't believe what a positive holiday you have had. Well done.

Don't let them get you down. You will be gone soon. Think of the next payday and next weekend like I do. Good luck.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Thank you, I don't feel strong at all!! I'm feeling mega stressed and unmotivated to go in tomorrow, but I will be having an early night, lots of prayer and a pep talk with KW

DD now acknowledges that her tummy aches were stress-related and is 'happy' to have found an explanation.

Today should be a NSD after all the spending, on petrol and carppy I've done over the past few days.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 22nd Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 43,931 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Well, I've made it to Thursday with minimal spends and a gradual reduction in stress.

Monday morning was more stressful than I imagined it would be, I was very jittery until lunchtime, when I then started calming down. The demon head teacher tried to be nice to me yesterday, but I was just calm and non-committal with her.

I've been rejected before interview from one of the jobs I applied for, but it's a relief as I didn't really want to go there, it was just that I felt I ought to apply. I'm waiting, but am doubtful about the other school I applied to, and a friend is helping me beef up my personal statement so I can apply somewhere I'd REALLY like to work.

All of the mortgage documents have been signed by KW and myself and witnessed. I need to transfer the 10% deposit to the solicitor (gulp) and keep smiling
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 13,113 Posts
    • 46,662 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on coping with work. Hurrah for the signing for the mortgage. I hope many more vacancies will be appearing between now and the hols as I'm looking too.

Have a great weekend. You have earned it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,841Posts Today

7,057Users online

Martin's Twitter