Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,899Posts
    • 43,890Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 12
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    We CAN apply for a decision in principle Sooooo excited it's not true. KW's salary, and the fact he'll officially be paying half the bills, has made the 'affordability' more comfortable. Huge relief!

I put 70p into the tin, and the cardi and shoes have arrived for my bro's wedding. I bought 2 colours of cardi and 2 sizes of each, and am keeping 1 of them, a silver beaded shrug as I think it will look nice with a navy wrapover dress. The supposedly pink one that I wanted to go with the dress I've ordered, looks vile, so they haven't even come out of their packaging.

So, I'll only have spent £13.07 on the shrug.

When the dress (es, again different sizes for fit) arrives, I'll probably not keep it as I can wear the navy and silver combo. Yay, more money saved!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 5th Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 13,061 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hooray for the joint mortgage! Great news on bargain wedding clothes shopping.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Jan 18, 6:26 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good luck with the mortgage Kittikins everything crossed for you !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Sold just over £22 worth of old textbooks from my teacher training

Have blitzed part of the study - more to do, but took 3 bags of paper and 2 bags of non-recyclables to the tip this afternoon!

KW's got me on a mission, I'm envious of what he's achieved!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 13,061 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done you. How inspiring is that???!!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Going to send back 2 vile dresses and will get £44 back on my credit card, yay! May have ordered another dress though....!! But, if the company's idea of colour is as off again, that'll go straight back too! Thank goodness for free delivery

Received £24.09 from my first sale of books and DVDs. Must parcel up the third lot that I submitted on Sunday and get them off too.

Hoping that no news is good news on the mortgage front, am not going to stress, but just stay serene.....until maybe Wednesday

Going over to KW's tonight *swoon* He's then away with work until next week *sob*
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    KW and I have got our decision in principle for the mortgage
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 13,061 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG. Really really well done. hurrah. I bet that has made your day.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Excellent news Kittikins am so pleased for you, KW & DD x
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 13th Jan 18, 6:19 AM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Lots of exciting, positive stuff yesterday:

* I've sent the formal application form in to the housing association. The sellers are going to be chasing them regularly, as they believe that they will be the slowest link in the chain (and from my dealings with the (admittedly different) housing association when I was trying to buy the flat, I can understand why!)

* Our survey is booked in for next week (the bank don't need a physical valuation as part of the mortgage offer (weird, or is that how things happen these days?), so we're having to get our own homebuyers' survey.

* The fixtures and fittings form has come through and KW and I are keen to take the sellers up on their offer of selling us various bits of furniture and electrical items. From memory, everything on offer was in very good nick and even if we replace them in time, it means that with his furniture and what we keep, we will only need to buy mattresses when we move in.

I've already got the money allocated for the survey and KW's buying the furniture, which is brilliant
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 13,061 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Lovely news. It's all falling into place.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 13th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    £8.32 coming my way for the second lot of DVDs I sent off
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 13,061 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah, glad you are making money. It does make my day when that happens.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 17th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    £30.80 in from 2 sales of books, CDs and DVDs

It'll go towards the cost of the coupley holiday KW and I are going on in August to the Lake District. A long weekend in a posh chalet, sounds bliss! The cost was going to be £55 each, but that one must have gone or the dates been bad for the others, as we're now paying £130 each (gulp). Anyway, we're going to make the most of it and hopefully go over to Vindolanda for a day before we return, by then to our own house (if all continues to go well!)

Missed a phone call from the surveyor, who gave promised verbal feedback. Basically he said that he didn't find anything horrific, and that there were a couple of small things he wanted to tell me. I was teaching then in a meeting til 5, so didn't have a chance to call him back.

No spend day again, hoorah!

Seeing KW tomorrow, can't wait
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 13,061 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on fleabay sales. A holiday oooeer. That sounds lovely.

I am glad the surveyor's report was so good.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Jan 18, 7:27 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 18,484 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Sorry KK I don't know how I missed the bit about the good news on the survey (I've been ill you know ) hope everything is progressing well and the small things were nothing to worry about.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 19th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 43,890 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've still not heard what the small things on the survey are....the surveyor and I keep on playing telephone tag. I have suggested that he just drop me an email as we both have rather unsociable jobs as it were, but as yet he's not done so.

Had a big pack of the lease documents from the solicitor, relating to when the house was built in 2007! From my limited legal knowledge (I started but didn't complete a law conversion degree a very long time ago), I can't see anything untoward, there's none of that "The service charge will double every 10 years" malarkey I've been reading about in the Guardian.

The bank asked for a certified copy of KW's driving licence yesterday before continuing to look at the mortgage offer, but it had to be sent to our mortgage advisors for them to certify, the vicar/a teacher wouldn't do! So, he popped it in the post on the fastest, safest method and it's on it's way back to me at school, so there'll be someone there to sign for it.

The mortgage people seem to think that this might be the last step towards the full mortgage offer. We really hope so!

Last night I was feeling a bit bleugh, so wanted to get a takeaway for dinner rather than cook. I had also nearly stopped off at the supermarket for a bottle of wine. KW nicely talked me out of the takeaway, we had a simple frozen veg, veggie burger and garlic bread dinner (which was tasty, filling and free) and I had a lovely cup of Earl Grey instead My NSD remained intact!

I'm over again tomorrow night (yay ) and have asked him to put a bottle of prosecco in the fridge and have plans to make a scrummy curry with whatever veggies he's got lurking in the freezer and use up some of the lentil mountain!

I'm getting anxious again at school Just suspicions and possible paranoia, but a couple of people seem to be flexing their muscles again a bit

Thank goodness my kids are utterly gorgeous and there is something amazing about each and every one of them!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 13,061 Posts
    • 46,613 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Sorry about work it sounds like where I work. Focus on the nice things as you are. Karma happens to the bad one's anyway so try to stay happy thinking of your house.

Enjoy your time at KWs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,726Posts Today

9,532Users online

Martin's Twitter