Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 6th Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    • 14,844Posts
    • 97,512Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50!
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50! 6th Aug 17 at 2:21 PM
    Hello folks - tis I, again. I've been on the boards for a goodly while now and learn new things on here everyday from the MSE angels here. Thank you all!

So I'm 50 soon and no idea how that happened and I've been making a wee list with the family. So, in order to push that final bit of debt finally away and let myself be free at 50, I've decided to make my number 1 thing on my list to be debt free by 50.

Current debt is at just under £6k (plus pesky student loan which is in hand), having been at almost £35k before I found you all, we all know MSE works, as does focus. So here I am.

The plan is as always to eat frugally, use YS and free food where we can and throw the extra at the cards and OD's where I can. Having just ditched the p/t job - I'm feeling a bit all at sea. I'm 500/month down and need to pull my socks up to make sure it doesn't feel so ouchy.

I've a f/t job as a gardener in a large old estate - so whilst the pay is uber-modest, I'm lucky enough that it is both secure, nurturing, and nourishing (for body and soul) as its beautiful but we also grow a lot of veg there! I can't complain - I teach, I grow and I am finding working full time really suits me, I'm super lucky I work in something I'm really really passionate about I know I'm so totally grateful for that part of my life. You see you study forever, but still a job sneaks up on you. Darn that gardening gene :P

So here's the 50 list. The plan is to do as many of these as frugally as possible whilst having as much fun and living as fully as possible. Yes, I'm trying to be THAT cheap date, so I need to do some planning and find cunning ways to get that list done as frugally as possible.

Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50! Lets do this.

1 – BE DEBT FREE
    2 – 50 random acts of kindness 2/50
    3 - Have a pedicure
    4 - Miso making - learn to make my own miso
    5 – Have at least ONE adventure each month, close or far away 1/12 done 2 more booked
    6 - Go to Iceland (like in real life not just for frozen food, or both or to a talk/exhibition)
    7 – Have a henna tattoo
    8 - Charity shop bonanza – every, last one in my county at least and/or go to as many as each place I visit next year?
    9 - Stay in St Andrews for a night
    10 - Grow groundnuts, sweet potatoes and some other exotic veg I’ve always wanted to
    11 - Visit a garden show
    12 – NHM with DS if possible or the whole family or a chum but GO!
    13 - Walk the local coastal path 112 milesmore bits done with EH
    14 - Design a garden for myself and make it
    15 – Keep a gratitude diary, like actively keep one started 12/10/17
    16 - Give blood
    17 - Go to a yoga retreat or just a class
    18 - Mocktails somewhere fabulous
    19 – Have a family photo taken
    20 – Grow a spice cupboard (ginger, turmeric, etc etc) why not tumeric planted
    21 – Have a ski lesson
    22 – Walk the Water of Leith
    23 – See a mentor speak
    24 – Have a ‘mate date’ once a month and find something ridiculous to do for free 1/12
    25 – Go to an online chum meet up and/or meet up with online chums 1/many I hope
    26 – Visit my favourite people at least once this year, no excuses 3 faves visited since this list.
    27 – Make a vegetarian meal at least once a week started 5/10/17
    28 – Print photos of the family and adventures and frame them
    29 – Make a new memory heart quilt – the kids each have one as does DH but not me
    30 – Float in the sea in a rubber ring with gay abandon
    31 – Restart my blog – I miss writing
    32 - Make a hat
    33 – Start a recipe book for myself
    34 – Make a proper pantry
    35 – Find somewhere to volunteer
    36 – Take a photo every day for a year to capture something special
    37 – Try a dance class or Zumba
    38 – Try an alternative therapy
    39 – Wear a beautiful frock to an event
    40 – Have afternoon tea in the garden with a friend
    41 – Have singing lesson or join a local choir
    42 - BBQ on the beach
    43 – At least one trip with us all and one weekend with us all at home, or just ONE night
    44 – Go to a costume party
    45 – Grow as much of my own food and cordial as I can
    46 – Get chickens (again)
    47 – Eat at some crazy hidden restaurants for as frugal as possible
    48 – Have a picnic
    49 – Take a long train journey
    50 – Have a really good haircut or change the style, why not

Let the fabulous frugal games begin.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 07-11-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40
    :
Page 15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,829 Thanks
    beanielou
    Last time you need to be worrying about is the petrol budget.
    It is what it is.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 43,439 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    The petrol budget - Beanie's right, it is what it is, just go with it for the month, there;s more to worry about right now, no point in tying yourself in knots worrying about stuff that you can't do anything about.

Hope you got sorted with the online shop and that there's good news on your Ma today xxx
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,829 Thanks
    beanielou
    Also hoping for good news today xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 11th Oct 17, 10:44 PM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,512 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Thanks chaps - you're both very kind and its very true. Mither is home til monday then back in again. Borrowing a tablet for her to use in hospital - she' doesn't want one per say but she could use one when she's off adventuring.

Not much in the way of MSEness today - but did get some reduced sausages on the way home 75p for 10 tasty chipolatas. Nom nom.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    :
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 43,439 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Great idea on the tablet and yum to the chipolatas!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 17th Oct 17, 11:26 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    troglodyte
    At last I have caught up! I missed the start of the new diary and then after I found it I've been running along after you all through the posts. There's certainly lots going on. Hope you Mum is doing OK Pippi. Hello again everyone!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 18th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,512 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey chaps!
    Hope you're all well - juggling a fair bit at the mo - but still smiling and its peak apple season!

Maw is home and OK for now - recovering after an unexpected trip to hospital - thanks for asking - had the nurse in today doing forms and stuff all seems grand. She's getting along great with the wee tablet I borrowed from a chum.

Work is full on with lots of events and free apple juice today - yum!

Home wise zero money focus but you're all right that's just how it is the now. I'm seeing a lot of my BF who stays near my ma. Bonus.

Dog sitting went well - and was easier than I thought it might be,

Off to check banks and stuff. Trog me dear lovely to see you - EH we do love a wee reduced chipolata - Beanie wise words as always and UCS, thanks for your thoughts and kind words.

I'm on a cutting garden course over the weekend at a flower farm - really looking forward to that I must say.

Anniversary week - still eternally grateful for the help we had with welliefest xx
    :
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,829 Thanks
    beanielou
    Talking of forms have you looked into your mum claiming PIP for help with everyday tasks.PM me if you need any help

• troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 19th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Good morning! Hope things are going as well as possible. Thought of you Pippi yesterday as I was pottering in the garden - our 'new' (been here a year already) garden which we're still working out what to do with. We've put up a fruit cage in the only area that gets sun all year and so far planted two gooseberries, two blackcurrants and two redcurrants (most from cuttings of our old plants), a loganberry and a honeyberry (not tried this before) and hoping the cage will keep the local deer at bay.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Nov 17, 11:14 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 5,059 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hey missus
    Hoping you and yours are doing OK
    (((((HUGS)))))
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 7th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,512 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Talking of forms have you looked into your mum claiming PIP for help with everyday tasks.PM me if you need any help
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Hey there lovely - thank you she's had someone in from MC support to help with forms and has applied for something she might get - I'll PM ya ta lovely x

Good morning! Hope things are going as well as possible. Thought of you Pippi yesterday as I was pottering in the garden - our 'new' (been here a year already) garden which we're still working out what to do with. We've put up a fruit cage in the only area that gets sun all year and so far planted two gooseberries, two blackcurrants and two redcurrants (most from cuttings of our old plants), a loganberry and a honeyberry (not tried this before) and hoping the cage will keep the local deer at bay.
    Originally posted by troglodyte
    Oooh that sounds exciting - well done you. I can't beleive we've been here three years and a bit. Hope you and yours are OK xx

Hey missus
    Hoping you and yours are doing OK
    (((((HUGS)))))
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Hey there thank you so much - middling along I think is fair - lots on this end so I'm just ditching things where I can and actually just do what I need inbetween - I hope you're OK too and keeping cosy.

Evening all - first time I've put my computer on literally since Beanies post. Lovely to see your kind words.

EH been here this weekend to give me a wee boost and take me out of myself a wee bit. Also nice to enjoy some of my life with her and show her around a bit more. Thank you sweetie!

Working at the weekends often to compensate for time helping wee ma - so that's keeping me busy - works a bit manic - never changes but the team there are v supportive.

Paid so much off the xmas holiday only £100 left to pay - next stop the trip to Mapleland.

Eldest mutt has been a bit poorly since a wee accident - vet seems to think its either surgery or compensatory meds to keep him good to go. Looking at all options poor pet - although he's perky.

Knocked off another bit of the list -
    Walk coastal path with chum almost see a kingfisher and try not to make me poor dug too krackered.

Lovely evening to you all off for a mooch around the boards and update banks etc.

Thanks for your kind words.
    :
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 5,059 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Great to see ye back posting missus
    You have been missed
    (((((HUGS)))))
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,829 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a great weekend with EH.
    Hope your ma is managing to plod on.
    Hope P is on the mend soon xx

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 43,439 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Weekend was superb! (well aside from breaking hound the elder a bit - poor boy!)

We had a darned good go at another off your list too didn't we - the mocktails one - but we'll have to leave that for another time! We need some planning to sort that Kingfisher thing out properly too - I can't 100% guarantee you one - maybe 80% though.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 8th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Good to see you again, was wondering if you were managing to keep your head above water. Hope everything goes as well as possible. Great that you had a lovely weekend with EH to keep you positive! All the best to Ma xx
    • starnac
    • By starnac 8th Nov 17, 5:53 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    Hey you. Sounds like you and EH had a good time. Speedy well wishes to poor Peedie.
    I need a new signature!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 9th Nov 17, 4:02 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 43,439 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hey you. Sounds like you and EH had a good time. Speedy well wishes to poor Peedie.
    Originally posted by starnac
    Oh hello - good to see you back on here!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • starnac
    • By starnac 9th Nov 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    Oh hello - good to see you back on here!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I recently had a kick up the bum in this direction by two frequent forum-ites

Save
    I need a new signature!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 43,439 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I recently had a kick up the bum in this direction by two frequent forum-ites

Save
    Originally posted by starnac
    Well, just fancy, eh?!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • starnac
    • By starnac 13th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,162 Thanks
    starnac
    Well, just fancy, eh?!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Ooh they were really mean too

It's nice to be back. Thank you both xx

Save
    I need a new signature!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin