Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 6th Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    • 14,844Posts
    • 97,509Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50!
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50! 6th Aug 17 at 2:21 PM
    Hello folks - tis I, again. I've been on the boards for a goodly while now and learn new things on here everyday from the MSE angels here. Thank you all!

So I'm 50 soon and no idea how that happened and I've been making a wee list with the family. So, in order to push that final bit of debt finally away and let myself be free at 50, I've decided to make my number 1 thing on my list to be debt free by 50.

Current debt is at just under £6k (plus pesky student loan which is in hand), having been at almost £35k before I found you all, we all know MSE works, as does focus. So here I am.

The plan is as always to eat frugally, use YS and free food where we can and throw the extra at the cards and OD's where I can. Having just ditched the p/t job - I'm feeling a bit all at sea. I'm 500/month down and need to pull my socks up to make sure it doesn't feel so ouchy.

I've a f/t job as a gardener in a large old estate - so whilst the pay is uber-modest, I'm lucky enough that it is both secure, nurturing, and nourishing (for body and soul) as its beautiful but we also grow a lot of veg there! I can't complain - I teach, I grow and I am finding working full time really suits me, I'm super lucky I work in something I'm really really passionate about I know I'm so totally grateful for that part of my life. You see you study forever, but still a job sneaks up on you. Darn that gardening gene :P

So here's the 50 list. The plan is to do as many of these as frugally as possible whilst having as much fun and living as fully as possible. Yes, I'm trying to be THAT cheap date, so I need to do some planning and find cunning ways to get that list done as frugally as possible.

Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50! Lets do this.

1 – BE DEBT FREE
    2 – 50 random acts of kindness 2/50
    3 - Have a pedicure
    4 - Miso making - learn to make my own miso
    5 – Have at least ONE adventure each month, close or far away 1/12 done 2 more booked
    6 - Go to Iceland (like in real life not just for frozen food, or both or to a talk/exhibition)
    7 – Have a henna tattoo
    8 - Charity shop bonanza – every, last one in my county at least and/or go to as many as each place I visit next year?
    9 - Stay in St Andrews for a night
    10 - Grow groundnuts, sweet potatoes and some other exotic veg I’ve always wanted to
    11 - Visit a garden show
    12 – NHM with DS if possible or the whole family or a chum but GO!
    13 - Walk the local coastal path 112 milesmore bits done with EH
    14 - Design a garden for myself and make it
    15 – Keep a gratitude diary, like actively keep one started 12/10/17
    16 - Give blood
    17 - Go to a yoga retreat or just a class
    18 - Mocktails somewhere fabulous
    19 – Have a family photo taken
    20 – Grow a spice cupboard (ginger, turmeric, etc etc) why not tumeric planted
    21 – Have a ski lesson
    22 – Walk the Water of Leith
    23 – See a mentor speak
    24 – Have a ‘mate date’ once a month and find something ridiculous to do for free 1/12
    25 – Go to an online chum meet up and/or meet up with online chums 1/many I hope
    26 – Visit my favourite people at least once this year, no excuses 3 faves visited since this list.
    27 – Make a vegetarian meal at least once a week started 5/10/17
    28 – Print photos of the family and adventures and frame them
    29 – Make a new memory heart quilt – the kids each have one as does DH but not me
    30 – Float in the sea in a rubber ring with gay abandon
    31 – Restart my blog – I miss writing
    32 - Make a hat
    33 – Start a recipe book for myself
    34 – Make a proper pantry
    35 – Find somewhere to volunteer
    36 – Take a photo every day for a year to capture something special
    37 – Try a dance class or Zumba
    38 – Try an alternative therapy
    39 – Wear a beautiful frock to an event
    40 – Have afternoon tea in the garden with a friend
    41 – Have singing lesson or join a local choir
    42 - BBQ on the beach
    43 – At least one trip with us all and one weekend with us all at home, or just ONE night
    44 – Go to a costume party
    45 – Grow as much of my own food and cordial as I can
    46 – Get chickens (again)
    47 – Eat at some crazy hidden restaurants for as frugal as possible
    48 – Have a picnic
    49 – Take a long train journey
    50 – Have a really good haircut or change the style, why not

Let the fabulous frugal games begin.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 07-11-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40
    :
Page 10
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 13th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey chaps thank you for the good wishes and the support. Very much appreciated. I'm still a bit grumpy have anit-b's (which upset my tum and innards) and painkillers its only a wee infection but my its a stroppy we monster.

Zero budgeting done, eating from home or not eating so guess that's vaguely MSE. My new favourtie lunch is baked tattie (from garden) and a mix of raw tomatoes, spinach and chill (raw) mixed up with a couple chive flowers. A bit butter/salt - oh my its gorgeous and zero food centimetres never mind miles. I grew it all by myself.

miserable day here - hope yours was better.

OH called up about a wonky spark lighter thingmy on the cooker - after 12 mins on hold he got told they'd gone home for the night.

Mince and tatties for tea - HG veg, repurposed reduced 75p for 615g beef burgers bashed up back into mince IYSWIM. Seasoning worked well and they were if I'm honest very lovely. I had my own body weight in veggies with them, OH his own body weight in broon sauce.

As we've students and vulnerable folks going to mindfulness I do hear all your comments and agree with most - but I feel I need to attend, I prefer is was after 5pm as it does gnarl up against my work ethic HOWEVER - lead by example and if I change from the steel toe cap boots to something soft and more 'me' (even barefeet) then I think I'll transition into non-work me easier.

Me as a human would attend such a thing with gusto - me as a hard worker struggles. Perhaps a change of footwear would help that as we wear mega indsutrial boots.

Might be worth a go eh?

Hope your evenings are ace, I'm already tucked up in my lovely just changed the bedding nest.

XOXOXO
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 13-09-2017 at 8:01 PM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    :
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 4,421 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hiya Missus

Not good that you been poorly
    Hope you're back to your usual cheery self soon
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 13-09-2017 at 9:49 PM.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Sep 17, 10:31 PM
    • 48,525 Posts
    • 178,626 Thanks
    beanielou
    Love a lovely clean bed
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 14th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Morning lands last day of anti-bs woop woop.

Hope you all have a great day US I hope the sunny part of myself returns soon. And Beanie I LOVE a new wee bed. Super special and almost completely free,

Have a gud un.
    :
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 42,981 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hurrah to last day of anti-b's - hope they've done the trick and you get your poor innards back under control!

The change of (or just removal of) footwear idea for the mindfulness thing is a good idea - and yes i can see that it might well get your head in the right place to be able to appreciate the time being spent more.

mince & tatties...yum!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 48,525 Posts
    • 178,626 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you are on the mend now

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Sep 17, 8:40 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,377 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope that you are on the mend now
    Originally posted by beanielou
    From me too x
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 14th Sep 17, 9:03 PM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Thanks EH loving the sound of the grub on your thread. Beanie and HI thank you too - its been ghastly.

Anyone know (and I'm ashamed I don't know but there's no real shame in not knowing and asking - so technically I'm brave)

Anyone know how to cancel cc subscriptions (ie I have a MSOffice one on my cc which recently doubled and I'm now on a free MSoffice package) how do I cancel it? Can't fathom how to online.

Mucho thanks xxx

Boring ish day here (no shame in that) - gardening - HM frozen curry - about to bundle myself into bed.

Sent a difficult but polite work related email to someone today - fearful of response but really all I'm looking for is information rather than be flayling about lost in the dark assuming bad things, better to ask I suspect even if it requires big girl pants.

Friday tomorrow hoping to see DD on Sat if I can brave the new bridges crazy traffic.
    :
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 48,525 Posts
    • 178,626 Thanks
    beanielou
    Brave you braving the bridge

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Sep 17, 12:31 AM
    • 7,816 Posts
    • 37,827 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well done you with your brave pants

I've just rung the bank before now and asked them to stop subscriptions. I think they told me the exact name of the company but the bank themselves stopped the payments (and then I think the company sent a letter trying to get me to sign up again - at least I knew who they were then! )

Don't be embarrassed, you're clearly not the only one!
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 16th Sep 17, 8:26 AM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Morning lands
    Beanie I hear the 'tourist' volume on said bridge is better so its almost back to normal but we'll see. Hope you're well. I may still just take the train as expensive as it is.

Morning lands and thank you cheery its an MS sub for an account I can't get into - so I'll keep looking thank you. I set up a monthly office sub when I changed laptops ages back. Ho hum, I am very forgetful. But its 5.99/month that I can keep in my account.

Busy week ripping out and saving most of a double border infested with 3 types of pernicious weeds. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Spends not been bad this week - 25 petrol put in on Sunday - a few purchases at le coop, but largely home teas/no eating out no takeaways and limited spends.

21.12 wee shop painkillers, dog food and comfort nonsense
    14.33 coop (largely meat reductions and some extra juice etc, bit comfort nonsense)
    18.74 drugs, painkillers and juice for wonky plumbing and hair dye they had a deal

95.95 BT (sharp intake of breath, there was a £50 switch over free but I do not know what the rest of that was for yikes).

110 left in petrol account although I'll need more today
    not sure about grocery account....... must go through receipts properly.

£60 came off for the hotel so that's me all spended out just about on the treats account.

Dishwasher is on and the mutts are fed. I've got to work today as someone is sick. All grand means more tiol when I want it.

Mr TRG was oot early away biking.

I've a tonne of beetroot to sort out and some fridge foraging to do. Must attempt a meal plan.
    We could do with eggs and mutt food some juice and aside that not very sure. We've no basmati rice but I did improvise with sushi rice for the curry (needs must) but its not the cheapest subby.

Time for a cuppa first though I think.
    :
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 16th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Credit cards have gone up slightly 7.99 I have an audio book subby too - so that's two 'things I'd forgotten about'

I do use it - but haven't used it lately wonder if I cancel it if I'd miss it?

Ponders.

Making plans with DD - might get the bus through and park at the park and ride.
    :
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 7,816 Posts
    • 37,827 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Can you get audio books through the library? I've never done it but I've heard other people have. Keep meaning to investigate myself!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 7,816 Posts
    • 37,827 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, well that IS exciting - two minutes of investigations tells me I can download an app and have access to the library's collections of ebooks, e-audiobooks and magazine subscriptions for free Love libraries and you dont even have to remember to take them back - they get deleted from your app after 3 weeks If only normal library books just whizzed themaelves back when they were due

Thanks for the reminder lovely lass!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 16th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Definitely recommend the library app programme. We love it here. We down load the audio books for car journeys.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 48,525 Posts
    • 178,626 Thanks
    beanielou
    Cancel audio sub & if you do miss it you can rethink.
    Library in your lands have fab audio library I hear

• Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 17th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey there thanks Cheery - looks like you've started some good positive MSE research there! And, wouldn't it be fab if the books went back to the library as if by magic.
    Beanie I shall investigate - thank you and Wishing we use audio books loads in the car and I often use them at work, when walking etc I'm on my own a lot and whilst I can garden and read, its not really something I do easily, nor is it probably very good practice. I listen to books most days - so yes I will investigate and yes beanie prob will cancel as its just come off and I can save £7 and see if I miss it I normally re listen to the books I have just got Brene Browns new one.

Although did you see the new cookbook (new to me) Good and Cheap can buy cheaply but its also a free download. Some cracking recipes in there thank you to Greying for showing me the way. Tried the coconut porridge this am. YUM although I forgot the lime and added nuts but I'm sure Leanne would approve. I'm always looking for filling and quick sort ahead of time brekkies.

Yesterday was spendy in petrol £25 and did some research and drove a way to the city and then parked for free and took the tram £3.20 - much cheaper than parking in town and driving sadly much cheaper than train or bus options. Worked out alright in the end. and that price was good for a return ticket.

Although the stop 300m to the north (at the hairyplane depot) was £8.50 return - you could literally see the other stop - if that's not a tourist and business tax, I don't know what it is, made me quite quite mad.

DD and chum met up in town had dim sum (himself paid as it was a treat catch up) not too pricey but tis far far cheaper to do this at home having been to the chinese supermarket.

But, a treat is a treat. Had a wander about the city for a wee bit - and a wee drool over ridiculus foodstuffs in harvey mics. Never buy anything generally go in to gawp at the ridiculusness of it all.

Home to pick up a gifted fridge freezer for work and drop off a cherry tree - telly and an early night. All good.

Missed a hen night last night - can't say I'm terribly sad, although I've never been to one, they're just not my thing. And, they're expensive. Wedding in two weeks, - recycling my usual posh frock and only heels, I was looking out for one in the charity shops but I like the one I have and its 18 years old and still fab. So whilst it was about £50 seems to have been a good investment.

Must tot up spends and update my budgets half way through the month and both pots are well well over half way empty.

Have stores to rearrange logs etc to top up, washing to do and a few bits and bobs - generally a choresy day.

Enjoy the morning! Washing machine is on, fire is on in the kitchen and the dogs having been out are giving it big zzzzzzz's first lazy sunday in months. Braw.

Worked for 3 hours yesterday so I can take that back as TOIL - working next sat all day.
    :
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 26,540 Thanks
    in need of direction
    What a busy and productive day.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 17th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey INOD - thank you it didn't seem like it but yes I think overall it was if a bit lazy.

Today I'm hoping to get on to tidying up the food stores and getting the house a bit more ship shape.

So far I've tackled the fridge and freezer - its now ordered. I'm afraid I lost a cucumber in there - I'm ashamed to say its now too soft to eat and over a week old, didn't hold on to the fact that it was there.

Some wonky veg peppers, tomatoes and leeks, onions and courgettes (some not so wonky but just have a lot of them) so making a med type soup - was some cooking bacon in there so using that too. Bubbling away on the stove.

Lamb started for tea tonight - its had a slow roast and a freeze so took it out yesterday - will have that with cabbage and tatties later tonight - poss some yorkies if I can get some eggs.

Sorting out some snacks for work breakfasts and have beetroot to bottle and various bits to make into what my husband calls FOOD instead of what he sees as RANDOM INGREDIENTS.

Dogs beds washed and some linen now on -don't usually do more than one wash a day or so so its out on the line it goes.

Freezer is jammed must be about 7kg plums in there 2kg toms (sorry greying) and dumplings/soups and various bits of reduced meat/fish and veg - I'm seriously thinking we need something more for the summer produced and all the crazy cooking - it gets used for sure.

Need a cuppa and to get some more stuff bottled/pickled.

I'm utterly overrun with plastic tubs I must sort them out.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 17-09-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    :
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,293 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Sweetie, if you've got on OK with Leanne Brown's 'Good and Cheap', you may like her first cookbook too - 'From Scratch'. Again, free PDF download HERE.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

5,811Users online

Martin's Twitter