Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 6th Aug 17, 11:04 AM
    • 122Posts
    • 289Thanks
    Happierdays
    Thanks!
    • 6th Aug 17, 11:04 AM
    Thanks! 6th Aug 17 at 11:04 AM
    Just to say a HUGE thank you to everyone on here... have lurked since around aug 2013 when our debt was approx 17,000.. today it is around 7k..if you are reading this its likely you have (unknowingly) helped me on this journey as although I've only just "joined", I have been truly inspired by the experiences, tips and wisdom on here..and I have kept going and felt less isolated along the way, because of you ALL.. so THANK YOU!
    If you are just starting out on your debt free journey keep looking on the site and forums, such a lot of support and kindness here
Page 3
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 26th Aug 17, 5:14 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Hi glass half full! Thanks for dropping by... always nice to have visitors!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 28th Aug 17, 7:13 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    So achieved cutlery drawer goal but not containers/topper ware! Job for today! However I did use up about half a carrier bag full of green tomatoes (nigel slater green tomato chutney recipe) so spent half of yesterday prepping, cooking and then scrabbling round for jars as most of mine had already been taken in the recycling... ended up buying a couple of way too expensive kilner jars (£2 each!) But only used 1 in the end so gonna take 1 back 4 refund. Prob wouldn't have bothered to get £2 refund in past!
    Had my most productive year at the allotment yet so I'm thinking of getting rid of /selling huge dinner service set.. (myott son+ Co. . Don't know if worth much but I know it's pretty old as elderly friend gave it to me and she'd inherited it from a friend years before!) ...to make space for preserved produce...
    I have not had to buy veg for weeks and hoping to get some stuff in ground for winter too this year (which is usually when plot gets abandoned until spring!).. but I feel the end of hols looming and back to work Fri so will have far less time from then..
    O well lots of sun to enjoy for now... happy bank hol everyone!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 4th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Hi all...I recently applied for an m answer some credit card (just for the freebie £50 m and s gift card!) - below is what they have asked for to proceed with my application! Never been asked to send this info before in this way, has this happened to anyone else? Thanks for any help
    · your net monthly income
    · your monthly contribution to Mortgage/Rent
    · your monthly contribution to Council Tax
    · your monthly payment to existing Credit Cards and Personal Loans
    · details of any other regular monthly expen

Important information - we only accept images in pdf or jpeg format. If your information is password protected, please provide us with the details
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 4th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Oops that was obviously meant to read applied for an M and S credit card!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 25th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Well m and s wrote to me to say they hadnt heard back from me and that there was still time to get their c card if I give them the documentation. I rang them to ask why they wanted all this extra confirmation.. they said something along the lines of "its to ensure people aren't getting into too much debt" I couldn't resist commenting that no credit card company (including themselves!) had ever seemed to have shown this care/concern in the past when raising my credit limit etc! She was a nice woman on the phone though and did acknowledge my comment and it seems they are being more cautious about giving peeps access to credit which can only be a good thing! By the way I still take total responsibility for my debt - the creditors didn't force it on me! But I do think they have a part to play..
    Anyway..thought I couldn't be bothered to go thru the malarkey of sending them the evidence but i think that I will after all (though must do this in nxt few days as theres a time limit)..just for the £50 voucher, esp with xmas on way!
    Otherwise not much news... still battling to keep grocery spending down! Been better at "loving my leftovers" tho... and been using (peeling/chopping/freezing) windfall apples that I have been given from various sources!
    Still trying to get hubby to see importance of budgeting. . Hoping we are starting to get there!
    Hope you all doing well!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 4th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Well got accepted for m s credit card but have just closed it as I was too late to get the £50 voucher Grrrr! O well... I did procrastinate over sending them the info they wanted... o well, one less card to juggle even though was gonna close it after got voucher!
    I did utilise a freebie book token to get 2 xmas gifts at the weekend!
    Knocked a few quid off our tv/broadband/landlines. .. only 3 or 4 quid off but all helps...
    We will pay off £900 ish barclay card by end of year which hopefully will take our Cc debt to under 6k - not paid off anything extra debt wise yet with hubby's redundancy... we are just waiting til he has his first salary payment of new job safely in bank account haha! Then we will also overpay maximum of mortgage we can for this current year -10%- around £5700 which will still leave us a bit of an EF - though we also have a 0% Cc ending in march and it's about 2k so bearing that in mind for new year!
    Still trying to get better at meal planning and grocery shopping as they are my downfall!
    Off for a couple nights school residential so will be fed for 2 days and have left hubby meal makings so will be slightly mse lol!
    Hope everyone doing ok x
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 7th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Still trying to get to grips with meal planning (nothinG new there then!) I have done a meal plan for the nxt 6 days though-now just need to avoid too many top up shops and to be disciplined if one is necessary ie NOT going in for 1 thing and coming out with 20!
    Has been an expensive time lately with all sorts of things including cat meds (over £50) and car needing work to the tune of over £500 (ouch!) and other bits (£100) which though at the moment is not a problem it does mean redundancy is dwindling quickly... I am however so grateful to have had some respite from the stress and panic that this sort of expense would normally cause. But it does make me think about the whole thing of car ownership... running costs.. replacement etc and if nothing else makes me more determined to get a very clear plan (savings pots etc) in place for the future as the redundancy £s obviously won't last forever!
    So not much money saving has happened lately as it's been so spendy!
    Clearing clutter (inc lots of our sons' old toys and school exercise books from attic)... hubby also clearing stuff from attic and he's sold a couple things so I suppose that's mse!
    Happy debt slaying everyone!
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 26,007 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Whenever I have a particularly heavy driving month, I put £20 in my credit union account towards driving costs. Maybe you could do similar. Other than that, I think you're doing well. Stick with it
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 8th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Thanks inod!
    Have just lost a long ish post so won't bother writing it all again! suffice to say.. clutter clearance continues today.. more time soon during half term so hope to achieve more then!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 14th Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Have 2 week half term holiday now !
    Thought I should write on here to help keep self focused and not waste time or money during this time... I am prone to procrastination so maybe writing a list on here will mean I have to do what I've said!
    - need to use up veg picked from plot.. still in fridge from LAST weekend - some nice purple kohl rabi and LOTS of overgrown green beans..not sure what to do with the beans or if too tough to be edible...any ideas welcome!
    - must clear more clutter from house and attic- list on ebay, take to chazza or dump if no good. Aim to sort at least 1 bag to go this weekend
    -a few family visits next week
    - booked in for massage wed (hubby bought for me )
    - Open a savings account
    - not waste too much time sitting around or spend too much money on top up shops - stick to meal plan!
    So off to cook now, homemade turkey burgers as per meal plan
    Happy weekend all xx
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 15th Oct 17, 5:10 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Lost another post earlier!
    Got one bag (well box actually ) off to charity shop today plus a few other items to tip so that's great!
    Aim to get a bag a day out of the house this half term... we'll see!
    Have felt quite run down and tired all weekend which doesn't help me with feeling motivated but hopefully I will come out of it in nxt few days..
    Hope everyone doing well x
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 26,007 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Stick with it. My decluttering has shuddered to a halt and it's annoying me. Part of the issue is that I'm the only one here who does it and I'm fed up creating space that others then fill.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 17th Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Thanks inod yes it does seem a never ending task sometimes when things get put in the space you've just cleared! My worst area is the stairs (tho its often me that's guilty of putting stuff there when it's in transition to "somewhere else"! ) I think big problem for me is that not everyhinG has a "place"!
    Well I cleared my one bag yesterday.. but it was PAPERWORK! so tho not for charity am very pleased and there is more to wade through so that might be today..
    Have a great day everyone, whatever you are doing x
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 17th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Oh yes! Used up a bag of hazelnuts yesterday which I bought for no apparent reason (other than that they were a whoopsie?!) ...even though best before end Sept (in the past I might have thrown them out!) Used half as an addition to Apple crumble topping (was lovely! Apples from freezer previously prepared) and half for a nut roast(today's dinner ) from an ancient cranks vegetarian recipe book.
    Pleased with self so far this Hol as am hitting targets of not procrastinating (too much!) and not too many top up shops (though we did buy choc yesterday during a long evening walk down to the sea, weird weather and windy but pleasant as was so warm) ...also am more or less sticking to meal plan with a few frugal additions (nut roast etc!)
    ....so....feeling !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,428Posts Today

7,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin