Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 5th Aug 17, 10:07 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 276Thanks
    Narola1976
    Life's a climb. But the view is great.
    • 5th Aug 17, 10:07 PM
    Life's a climb. But the view is great. 5th Aug 17 at 10:07 PM
    Hey there. So new name and new diary. I was just too ashamed to use my old username because it's just so painful to know that despite reading all the wonderful advice and stories of other people's inspirational journeys I managed to continue to get deeper and deeper into debt. I needed a fresh start. And I hope this is it.

So I was struggling to think of a title, last time it was quite negative and so this time I thought for goodness sake come up with something positive. Even that was hard, so I settled for something I hope I will be saying at some point in the future. I'll let you know if its true when I reach my debt free date some 35 months from now...It's going to be a tough few years; it needn't have been but there it is.

Right enough of my Eeyore mentality from this point on I am going to stop beating myself up; what's done is done - now it's about moving forward.

So what have I done so far:

* I have YNAB and I have reset the budget. Not enough money to fund every category and pay debt but I have done what I can. The main thing is all the bills and debts will be paid.
    * Did a Snowball with all the debts listed in my signature (except for Car finance as this is new and on 5 year HP) and it tells me I should be DF in 35 months. Obviously will still have 2 years of car finance left but with no other debt can throw the money at it for the last couple of years)
    * Now its a case of just updating the above as the money leaves the bank account.

Happily still waiting for £166 for my work expenses which will come week after next. This will be great help as we go on holiday next Saturday and while the holiday is fully paid as we are renting a cottage in the UK - we book a year in advance and pay it off over the year - there is little in the way of spending. Though we won't spend masses on food as will cook in the cottage and use grocery allowance towards this.

Then just realised today I had forgotten to add the toll charges to my expenses claim so that will be another £11 but will only see that next month I think. Also child benefit due at some point so some of those categories can have a small top up.

Also got a £10 Tesco voucher from Valued Opinions survey. This was helpful for odd bits we needed. I don't do many surveys as I work in excess of 40 hours and so there is no time. Better to just stick with one company and do them as and when I can.

Had to send my mum some money abroad as she is very poor and really struggling and had to use some of my savings- sent £200. £6.70 transfer fee though but at least she got the money the following day. I won't be able to send this much again but hate letting her down. Before I use to buy groceries online using the CC and did not worry about how much I was spending and so set the "tone" but this time, decided that I could not keep doing this, hence me using some money from one of my small savings pots. She would understand but I feel so guilty!

Trying to be frugal with food spend - scratched Waitrose and M&S off the list of approved shops and will be reverting back to Aldi, Tesco and Lidl. Freezers have a reasonable amount of food, and really plan to use this up first. I do have a lot of sandwich ham in the freezer which OH put in there when it was about to expire - he hates waste...*scratching head* how can I use this?? Must google!

Tomorrow will have a small unexpected spend...DD needs medication - I am not allowed to say why LOL, but think childhood issues!

I really need to clean the house. Its a right mess but have been procrastinating - it really is the thief of time. OH has been good (he recently lost his job) and does washing, dishes and hoovering but not much else, not that I am complaining. I am grateful; also he is a better cook than me and makes sure DD is fed. Must get DD roped in to do some chores. Well we have to do it as we have the pet sitter coming in to feed the cat when we are away (I have saved for the fees over the last year so we have it ready which is a relief); great incentive as I would just be mortified if he came into a messy house.

Healthwise - recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes so need to also keep on the LCHF diet which is a challenge in itself as this helps keep the sugar levels down. My eyesight is finally working well again which is a real relief, pretty scary time for a while.

So that's me in a nutshell; lots to do but it will be a waiting game most of the time; payday to pay day to measure progress. I just need to stick to the budget!

So I need a place to keep track of what is happening with my various balance transfers as I have realised they too are in a mess. Having multiple transfers is really messing with my ability to work out a snowball plan because of the way payments are allocated by MBNA. So:

HSBC @ 28.9% - £7116 £6524.68
    -------------------------------
    MBNA 1.1 – 0% until 21.09.2018 = £8619.80 (this amount is being paid off now as it was the first BT made onto this card)

MBNA 1.2 – 0% until 20.02.2018 = £217.40 (this will kick in after the one below!)

MBNA 1.3 – 0% until 20.12.2017 = £1435.47 (come December this one is going to hit me hard)
    -----------------------------

MBNA 2.1 – 0% until 11.02.2020 = £6834.82 £6763.48 (this amount is being paid off now as it was the first BT made onto this card)

MBNA 2.2 – 0% until 10.02.2018 = £299.46 (this will kick in come February)
    ---------------------------
    Barclay Card 1.1 – 0% until 01.10.2017 - £688.32 £60.69
    Barclay Card 1.2 - 0 % until 22.09.2018 - £4079.76
    Barclay Card 1.3 – 0% until 01.01.2018 - £304.69
    Barclay Card 1.4 – 0% until 01.12.2017 – £31.57
    Barclay Card 1.5 – 0% until 01.11.2018 - £2297.08
    Barclay Card 1.6 – 0% until 01.11.2017 - £144.26
    Barclay Card 1.7 – 0% until 01.01.2018 - £349.06
    Barclay Card 1.8 - 0% until 01.12.2018 - £579.21

The best I can hope for is that I will be in a better position to get other BT cards come February but I won't hold my breath!
    Last edited by Narola1976; 13-09-2017 at 8:36 AM. Reason: Updated CC information
    HSBC CC £7150.15 - £6524.68 ~~~ Barclay Card £7894.74 £7846.32 ~~~ MBNA 1 £10382.67 - £10272.67 ~~~ MBNA 2 £7214.28 - £7062.94 ~~~Argos £202.05 - £100.05 ~~~ HSBC Loan £399.27 - £0 ~~~ Hitachi Loan £24.12 - £0 ~~~ Car Loan £14745.60 - £14008.32
    TOTAL £48012.88 - £45814.98 (Paid £2197.90 so far)
Page 3
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 31st Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Hi Narola1976

I've just read through your diary and I think you are doing so well, and it great that you are tackling it now in time for your daughter going to Uni, even if you aren't quite fully debt free, you will be in a much better place.

I'm also T2 Diabetic and recently diagnosed, I got it back under control with diet, so now all I have to do it to stick to it, easier said than done. I'm using a hypnosis app at the moment which is helping.

I've not heard of Prolific surveys so have just signed up so thanks for sharing that. Have you heard of YouGov surveys ? you can only cash out when you get to £50 but I usually get one lot of £50 per year and it all helps.

Like you I'm also a new old user of MSE, started well last time and lost focus so looking to keep really focused and succeed this time, it can be done :-)

I'm going to subscribe, as I think yours is going to be a really good diary.

Reb
    Last edited by Reb2016; 31-08-2017 at 1:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Light bulb moment 6th June 2017 £13333.63 Debt now 11837.25
    DFD was October 2020 40 months now 21st Dec 2019 26 months Overdraft £720/£2250
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 31st Aug 17, 8:50 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Hi Narola1976

I've just read through your diary and I think you are doing so well, and it great that you are tackling it now in time for your daughter going to Uni, even if you aren't quite fully debt free, you will be in a much better place.

I'm also T2 Diabetic and recently diagnosed, I got it back under control with diet, so now all I have to do it to stick to it, easier said than done. I'm using a hypnosis app at the moment which is helping.

Hi, thanks Reb for stopping by. It's good that you haven't needed medication and have been able to manage it with diet alone. I was also recently diagnosed (May) and soon after started a ketogenic diet. I was really good for a couple of months, right before we went on holiday about 3 weeks ago I had my bloods taken. Then the following week went off on holiday and lost the plot and haven't recovered since. But today I spoke with the GP re my results and my HbA1c has gone from 109 to 34. She was shocked and said whatever I was doing was having amazing results and that she has never seen such a dramatic change in such a short time. Of course I felt so ashamed that I have messed up after doing so well that my results were that of someone who does not have diabetes. I know this has been with medication but still an amazing result. Anyway it has inspired me and so I hope to get back on plan.

I've not heard of Prolific surveys so have just signed up so thanks for sharing that. Have you heard of YouGov surveys ? you can only cash out when you get to £50 but I usually get one lot of £50 per year and it all helps.

PA is great, the surveys are a bit more interesting and pay better too. I used to do You Gov years ago, but for some reason stopped and then once I did I also stopped getting invites. But to be honest I really don't have the patience to wait that long...I am an instant gratification kinda girl LOL hence my massive debt problems. Seriously though with time being limited I can only do so many surveys and I think the three I am doing is enough. Today I just cashed out another £10 Tesco voucher from Valued Opinions, which helped with a few bits today..milk etc as not been for a food shop yet and won't until the weekend because of work.

Like you I'm also a new old user of MSE, started well last time and lost focus so looking to keep really focused and succeed this time, it can be done :-)

I'm going to subscribe, as I think yours is going to be a really good diary. Reb
    Originally posted by Reb2016
    Thanks for subscribing...I think the key to not losing focus is to keep a presence here, even if only 1 or 2 people (or no one!) comments, the important thing is to keep posting. I don't think my last diary even made it to page 3...lol. But knowing myself as I do, i.e loving the buzz of something new, starting like a bomb and ending like a shurie as we used to say back in my homeland, I need to discipline myself to pop on to the site. Before because there was nothing to post financially once pay day had come and gone and it was just a waiting game to the next pay day...I would not post and I think I just lost momentum. This time round I am posting whatever nonsense comes in my head, all to keep this at the front of my mind.

So made a payment of £102 to Argos today, leaving a balance of £100.05. This will be paid off next month and then I will officially owe Argos nothing. I will for the next 3 months add this £100 to the EF as I really want to get it to £1000, I am only £300 short. Once that is done, I will concentrate on adding this to CC payments.

My final loan payment goes out tomorrow and I am so excited. What a waste of 8 years that has been! Never ever ever gonna get another consolidation loan - please people learn from my mistake, I beg you!

Spends today have been minimal...£1.65 for lip balm for DD and £2.50 for a box for her retainers, annoyed I forgot to use my boots points instead of cold hard cash for the lip balm! DD also needs new glasses so that will be a big expense tomorrow, even with the NHS voucher. Fingers crossed she finds frames she likes. I have been lucky...I found £20 frames which I actually liked...which I intend to keep re-using as long as I can.

Right that's enough from me for now. Nite
    HSBC CC £7150.15 - £6524.68 ~~~ Barclay Card £7894.74 £7846.32 ~~~ MBNA 1 £10382.67 - £10272.67 ~~~ MBNA 2 £7214.28 - £7062.94 ~~~Argos £202.05 - £100.05 ~~~ HSBC Loan £399.27 - £0 ~~~ Hitachi Loan £24.12 - £0 ~~~ Car Loan £14745.60 - £14008.32
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 31st Aug 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's a good idea to keep posting even if you don't feel as if you have much to say. It will keep you motivated.

I'm back on this forum after a long gap due to family illness and a bereavement. I know the key to being focused is to be on dfw every day. It is so inspiring to know others are on the same hard journey.

You are doing well. Keep up the good work.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £678/Emergency Fund 2 = £120
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 1st Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Victory Dance!!
    So so happy this morning....the last loan payment has been paid....I felt a bit silly but I got up and did a little jig (without music as everyone is still fast asleep!) but I don't care....the music was in my head!

I know I have such a long road but I am just so happy right now, it's an amazing feeling. The account does not even appear on my app any more. And I have just closed it on YNAB too.

Now I will wait not so patiently for this rebate that I was promised as that is going straight onto the BC. I will give them a week before making noises.

Lots of DD's have gone out today but still many more to go including all the CC's.

So plans for today:

* Buy glucose sticks - £18.99 from Amazon for 100. This is good value as the pharmacy charges £4.95 for 10 - DONE

* DD's glasses - hoping for no more than £60
    * Work - boo hoo
    * Dentist - £19.70
    * Plan for mystery shop tomorrow to make sure I know exactly what I am doing

Well that's it for now....chat later.
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 1st Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Reb2016
    You deserve the happy dance :-) personally I think its important to celebrate all the wins we have on our debt free journey because its hard work and all hard work should be celebrated, so you dance away :-)

Love that you have a daily plan, I think I might do something similar to help keep me motivated

Reb
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning Narola
    Thought I'd pop over and nosy at your diary after you commented on mine. I have subscribed and will be cheering you on. Do keep posting, no matter who responds (or doesn't) because it really does help. You've seen my days of wittering on about nothing, but it helps to keep me on the straight and narrow.
    Good luck with your journey - you're so motivated at the moment.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 1st Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Well done on paying off the loan. Definitely worth a celebratory dance as I agree with Reb that have to celebrate all the small wins along the way.
    Good win on the glucose sticks as well, can't believe how much of a price difference there is
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 1st Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Well done you! Massive victory and worthy of Fabulous Celebrations.
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 2nd Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Thank you all for stopping by and offering your congratulations, much appreciated.

So an update:

* DD's glasses came in under budget . Went to Tesco and she got 2 for 1. Thank goodness for the NHS voucher of £39. I imagine this must be the last time she will get it as next year this time she will be 16. I have been wondering though...I pay a monthly amount for contact lenses but I was wondering if it is was possible to just buy them as and when needed. She uses daily lenses but does not actually wear them every day so a 2 month supply probably lasts closer to 4 months. I currently pay Tesco £18.67 every month and then every couple of months they send a 2 month supply but she usually hasn't finished the last lot. Recently her prescription changed and we had to bin quite a few of them which pained me greatly!! I did think of pausing the DD but they need 2 months notice to start it up again. I wonder a) if it is possible to just buy a month's supply of daily lenses and b) if this would work out cheaper. Must do some sleuthing.

* Dentist - price has changed since the last time, its now £20.60. So have adjusted my monthly funding goal saving £7 every month. I go to the dentist every 3 months, instead of the usual 6. I do hate going to the dentist - we have had the same one for years, he is very good, so no reflection on him. Its one of those necessary evils like smears! Sorry for the TMI

* A lovely lady gave me some art supplies for DD via Freecycle. DD has GCSE Art this year. The supplies are so expensive, even when I shop in the Range which is so much cheaper than Hobby Craft. Hopefully there will be something she can use. Freecycle has been a wonderful blessing over the years...I am always surprised what people have been willing to just give away. Just a few examples of what I have been lucky to receive: 2 larder freezers ( I buy mostly frozen food from Iceland / Farm Foods), a table top dishwasher (have no space for a proper one), a full sized Samsung fridge freezer with electronic display and water dispenser) and a proper full size electric treadmill (like the one you see in the gym), just to name a few. I am always moved by people's generosity. Wish I was in a position to give as well rather than have to sell!

* Speaking of selling we have yesterday sold our table tennis board for £25. It had just been standing unused because actually we have no space to use it. We use to push back the furniture in the living room to use it but with the treadmill and one of the freezers we no longer have the space. So seemed senseless to hold onto it. We love table tennis though and have decided to join a pay as you go club. It will £8 for OH and me for a couple of hours play, DD goes free. The good thing is we just go when we want to - so no commitment.

* Decided to do a food shop as really while we have chicken and pork and some veg in the freezers there isn't much more. I went to Aldi, Lidl and Iceland and collectively spent around £95. This is £30 over the budget, but lets not forget that £65 was my monthly target which considering I generally spend £400 plus before my MSE conversion LOL is probably unrealistic. I know that I will need to still spend odd bits for salad and fruit over the month but I am going to do my best to really keep this figure as low as possible. I budget for DD's school lunch separately @ £75 - so this is where the money for bread, fruit, ham etc will come from so I think it is do-able. I can move money around from the budget if I have to, not much wiggle room but enough. And I'm working really hard on my surveys so hopefully at some point this month I will have another £10 Tesco voucher. PA has been very quiet - no surveys available for me...My balance is £16 - I need £20 to cash out. I am 3 points away from 1000 on Lucky Phone - that will be £10. I need to check if they give cash or a voucher as never got this far before.

* One of the most important things to me is that my daughter does not make the same financial mistakes as I have. I talk to her a lot amount money and financial matters - she understands how YNAB works and using the 4 rules. I talk about the stuff I have learned here on MSE. Last week's lecture was on guarantors and that she must never ever be one for anybody ever LOL. We also talked about priority bills and which should never ever be missed. She is very receptive to these discussions. Education is key. Currently she has a Go Henry account, which I really find invaluable. Yes there is a small £2 per month fee, but the benefits are so worth it. She has 5 savings goals and when her pocket money goes in they get funded automatically. She has a Car Fund, Rainy Day Fund, Japan (she would like to visit badly), Christmas and Summer. Once these have been funded, there is actually very little pocket money left, bless her. l love I can keep an eye on her spending too.

So plans for today:

* Mystery shopping today - really hope I get it right. It's my first time. If I do it right I will get £8.50 for my time and trouble.

* Clean the utility room now that table tennis board has been moved. It's also known as the everything room where junk, shoes etc is stored so always full and hard to move around. So will try to restore a bit of order to it.

* Review the budget - and adjust as necessary

* Pack the washing away and tidy the lounge.

* Make sure all school supplies are in order for school next week.

That's it for now, will do the diary rounds in a bit
    Last edited by Narola1976; 02-09-2017 at 7:38 AM.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 2nd Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    motivated
    Morning Narola

Just a heads up on contact lenses. I buy mine online from 'Daysoft'. I have been using them for years and they are perfect. I pay £12.98 for a months supply give or take a couple of pence. My eyes are different strengths so I get 30 for my left eye and 30 for my right eye lol. (Disposables) You register, put your strengths in and they deliver them. They will also recommend which ones are best suited.

You can also buy them as and when needed.
    I have arrived in DMP land and I like it, I may stay a while
    Short term goal £735/£1796

SPC # 91
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 3rd Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Morning Narola

Just a heads up on contact lenses. I buy mine online from 'Daysoft'. I have been using them for years and they are perfect. I pay £12.98 for a months supply give or take a couple of pence. My eyes are different strengths so I get 30 for my left eye and 30 for my right eye lol. (Disposables) You register, put your strengths in and they deliver them. They will also recommend which ones are best suited.

You can also buy them as and when needed.
    Originally posted by motivated
    Thanks Motivated!! That is very helpful. I will certainly be looking into that as I think we are paying far too much for a service we don't actually need.

Spent a bit more on food yesterday....we decided to take advantage of the weather to BBQ so went to Aldi for their BBQ range and spent an additional £12. So food spend up to £106 or so. That really must be it for now as there is no more wiggle room in the budget. I have about £60 expense money coming in but that will only be around the 12th. Child Benefit is due next Tuesday I think.

So did my mystery shop yesterday...was a bit nervous as it was my first time. So worried I would miss something. It went OK I think...I then spent absolutely ages writing up my report. I tried really hard to make it comprehensive. I hope they are happy with it and I get my £8.50. I think I will be very selective with what I accept and I won't do it more than once a month or so, as can only fit these in at the weekend.

Because the report took me so long to do, and because of the unexpected BBQ I did not accomplish all that I wanted to yesterday. But I did manage to clean the utility room and I must say it is looking very good. Organised and clean with space to move around. Now if only I can keep OH from messing it up.

I put some hanging handbag organisers onto Facebook to sell. Hoping to get £15 for the 3 of them. Surveys have been a bit quiet over the last few days; I am hoping they will pick up soon.

Just downloaded a To Do App, because I want to help myself keep track of what I need to do. I am so disorganised sometimes and procrastinate a lot. Really want to improve this.

Plan for Today:

* Clean the kitchen
    * Give myself a home pedicure (follow Fly Lady)
    * Clean a Hot Spot
    * Pack washing away
    * Lucky Phone - just need 3 measly little points LOL
    * Wash my hair
    * Use my very expensive face products that just decorate my dressing table.

Well that's it for now, have a good Sunday.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 3rd Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Hi Narola,

I'm late to the celebrations, fantastic news on the loan !

Looks like you are really making great progress.

Please keep posting, looking forward to your updates.
    Total unsecured debt - £5,367 (October 2017) - Debt free Target February 2018
    • Lancashirelass1
    • By Lancashirelass1 3rd Sep 17, 2:59 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Lancashirelass1
    Hi there better late than never I'm a little late posting on your good news.....a huge congratulations on your loan news.......really pleased for you...
    Aim to be debt free by 43 realistic is by the time I have finished being 43!!!
    Snowballing starting in August 2017
    Debt total
    23'570.92
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 4th Sep 17, 3:18 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Hi Narola

Just want to say thank you for subscribing to my thread and to let you know I've subscribe to yours and I will be cheering you on as well!

Keep up the focus and determination,
    MiMi ��
    MiMi66 01/10/17 NWCC: £4840/£4974; NW loan: £9400 /£10097 - 3.4%; M&S:£5902 /£6502; VIRGIN: £6885 / £7096; Halifax: £9125 /£9485;
    =
    £36152 / £38154 Amount pd off cc £2005
    DFD 01/04/2022 53/55 payments to go!
    Mtgage1 - £75102/ £107K
    Mtgage2 - £12900/ £19K Overall M'gage £88002
    Overall Mortgage and debt - £124154/(£127451 30/08/17)
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Sep 17, 1:11 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 3,741 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Narola thanks to your post on TOPM's thread about borrowbox I have joined the library again today and am about to download said app. I like paperbacks to read , but enjoy audio as well.

Have subscribed to your thread,
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 4th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Reb2016
    I'd not heard of borrowbox either that's a great tip.

I think an unexpected BBQ is a good reason for not getting everything you wanted to do done, we won't have such lovely weather for much longer so great to make the most of it

Reb
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 5th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Morning Diary World

Thanks all for your congratulations! It is a relief to have the loan gone.

Really glad my tip on Borrowbox has been of use to others. It's a really brilliant app. Just this morning I had an email saying my reservation was available, clicked on the app and there it was waiting for me ready to download and listen.

Not much to report on the debt busting front. Just waiting for MBNA DD to go out during the middle of the month and then just the last of the bills to pay. The child benefit has gone in today which is a relief. I do feel guilty about adding this to the household income but then on the hand DD has never had to go without so maybe it all balances out in the end?

Counting the days for my rebate, decided to give them 7 working days, that takes me to 11th Sept, if the money is not in by then I shall be giving them a call.

I was interested to see that HSBC has offered me a balance transfer deal...not that I can take advantage of it just now...I need to wait until my MBNA interest starts. But also learning from my mistake with MBNA...before I do any transfers to HSBC I will first check out how they allocate payments. I would still hold a very high interest bearing balance with them and I would be curious to know how they allocate the payments I would make. Fingers crossed the offer will come around again.

We have had a little bit of success in selling bits and pieces. We sold a hair dryer which has been in the attic for years - one of those standing ones and due to sell today a couple of clothing racks. So far no biters on my handbag storage which is disappointing. OH is keeping most of the money as he is not working at the moment and needs money for petrol as job hunting in earnest. He has an assessment today..fingers crossed he passes onto the next stage. Job hunting can be soul destroying...when you fill out application after application without success.

Back to school today, last year of school for DD, at least until A levels. It's going to be a tough one. She will be the guinea pig for the new grading system - I just wished they had left well alone. Everyone in the outside world understands what an A/B/C is - I can't keep it straight in my head what a 4 or 5 is...its sounds so poor too.

Well have to run, have to make the packed lunch. Will try to pop on later tonight to catch up with everyone's diaries.
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 5th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Good to hear of your success in selling, it soon all adds up doesn't it.

I hear you on the exam changes, I was the second year that took GCSE's when they changed from O Levels and I remember the confusion that caused, why they have to mess around with these things I just don't understand. Hope your DD had a good first day back.

Reb
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 6th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Morning, been somewhat busy and have not been able to properly be on the site, most disappointed not to get onto your diaries, but I will very soon.

Not much to report here. The buyer for the clothing rails pulled out but manged to get another buying who had been standing by. Fingers crossed she actually turns up today.

Had to buy some bits and bobs for DD's packed lunch but that came out of the school dinner budget so not too bad. I did buy some additional bits milk etc so had to rejig the categories again. So food bill so far has been £111. Not brilliant I know.

Nothing else to report, I feel a bit out of sorts but no reason why. I think I have just been worried about the debt and how much it is and how long it will take to get out of. Hopefully i will snap out of the funk. I know I am making progress and it is what it is. I just feel kind of bleh!

My only plan for today is to work really hard as I am a bit behind...volume of worked has picked up and so need to be more focused.
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 6th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Good news!!

HSBC has just deposited my repayment reward for the loan to the amount of £467.53. They really didn't drag their feet and I was only expecting £400.

I am going to use this to pay BC. But only £450.
    I will save £16 for groceries.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

558Posts Today

4,535Users online

Martin's Twitter