Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 5th Aug 17, 5:17 PM
    • 226Posts
    • 579Thanks
    Kittychick
    Trying to beat this thing called debt..
    • 5th Aug 17, 5:17 PM
    Trying to beat this thing called debt.. 5th Aug 17 at 5:17 PM
    Here we go. I'm new to posting but read the diaries and other forums regularly.
    I'm a little different to many other posters in that my debt is very low, only £399 at my LBM but my earnings are zero. Due to ill health I am not working and as such am supported by my husband who has a good wage but when it's split between two people it's not as good as it looks. I have £60 a week in my account but I use that for food shopping, mobile phone bill and dreaded credit card so it's not just purely for me to spend.
    I have two grown children with their own homes although we help them out at times but nothing regular.
    So, bearing in mind the tiny-ness of my debt, why am I here? I am trying to make small changes that will get this debt off my shoulders. It is very important to me that I pay this debt myself and as a first step I have done a bank transfer to move to Halifax and I have used £100 of the transfer fee to pay off my credit card. So that's now £299...
    I won't be doing a SOA as I simply am responsible for phone, credit card some of weekly food payments..
    This is more to keep me on track than anything else
Page 8
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 3rd Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Thanks Reb, he's also needlephobic so that's going to be a tricky one. So far Nov has been quite spendy, or feels that way cos it's me doing it-with Hs money but still feels quite naughty. However I keep reminding myself that as he's not in work he's not spending on fuel and as he cant drive we're not going out so not spending as much as we normally would on a normal week off work. I'm off out again today trying to get some heat pads though but been told b/m might have them and we have one in walking distance. Hopefully will get them from there.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 3rd Nov 17, 10:56 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I am in 2 minds about debt.

In a perfect situation there would be no need to have any debt.

A middle ground I think is taking on debt but only at good terms e.g. 0% credit. Interest bearing at modest rates ok for investments.

Debt with ongoing interest and especially high interest is obviously not a good thing and can be a real bad problem that causes depression and traps people as they suffer just to service the debt. I tried to help my sister with this, her credit is screwed so no 0% for her, so I transferred a bunch of her debts to myself and agreed repayments with her, but then she started taking out loans with extortionate interest to pay me even tho these payments are very modest compared to her income, she is sadly just very bad at managing money.

I have tried to tell her many times, its manageable, just buy essentials, and aggressively pay down expensive debt and in the long term its better, but she cannot keep from all her luxury spending. She just looks at the monthly payment rather than the amount repayable. She would rather pay e.g. £60 a month for 10 years instead of £200 a month for 6 months.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 5th Nov 17, 9:15 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Well, it's Sunday night again.. Feeling pretty rubbish...
    Anyway, have £6.30+ in my day to day account & normally I'd round it down into my savings but tomorrow I'm going to my daughters and need a bus/tram ticket and think it is about the same amount so I'll leave it where it is..
    H going back to work tomorrow, but can't drive the distance so will drive over to train station and do it that way probably all week. He had a really bad night last night, ended up getting up and sleeping for a few hours on his office chair as he can be more supported that way. Then ended up on the sofa until he could take his next lot of pain meds. It seems it's getting easier during the day but extremely painful still at night. I also had a disturbed night when I woke at 4am sweating, then cold and really nauseaous, I had to go and get a bucket and yobs honest I think if I'd been sick it might have felt better, I've had a vague dizziness and nausea all day.
    Heading for an early night v soon...
    Hope everyone had weekends doing lovely things and being with their favourite people x
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 5th Nov 17, 9:33 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Sounds like you have got that sickness bug that’s been doing the rounds, quite a few people at my work place have gone down with it, not nice, hope you are feeling better soon.

Reb
    Light bulb moment 6th June 2017 £13333.63 Debt now 11837.25
    DFD was October 2020 40 months now 21st Dec 2019 26 months Overdraft £720/£2250
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 7th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Well, Monday was horrifically spendy (for me). Met my daughter - £7.60 on bus/tram ticket, bought us coffee and sharing cake £7.95, got me a pasties £1.50, then bit of shopping in Manchester £5 ish, another hot drink £2 and then a single train ticket home with H, was £7.70, return is only £9.60....ggrrr
    When we got home last night Hs Xmas present has arrived from Germany (I think) so that's one thing less to worry about.
    All in all I spent £30ish-H had given me some... Still a lot for me on a Monday but I didn't want H doing the drive home from the station on his own not being sure how much pain he would be in... As it turned out he was fine, discomfort rather than pain. He's started his exercises now but still can't hold his arm up (think very un pc salute) in normal circumstances it's fine, he doesn't need or want to be able to salute in 'that' way but it means his arm is fairly compromised. He's getting better though and because one of our cars is an automatic driving is OK. It's made me see thought that I MUST get driving. It's my priority after new year. We are looking at me getting lessons in an automatic and see of my nerves are any less that way.
    Well, I'm off into the big city again today but today it's def going to be less spendy..will have to be!!
    Hope everyone's good
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 8th Nov 17, 9:24 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    It's weds already and the first 'at home' day I've had this week so when I've finished typing this I'm going to dash round for an hour and try and catch up a little.
    Feeling a little worried by my spending this week but generally OK-it has been worse but I'm not going to go overdrawn and that's the main thing.
    Bit !!!!!!ed for firewood until H is at home on Fri, we have lots in the cellar but it's in full pieces and he hasn't been safe to use the saw to chop it but as he's much better it will be job#1 on Friday if it's fine, if not we'll have to go and buy a bag of logs. We have some 'heatlogs' from the supermarket but really you need other stuff as well to get them going and it's the other stuff we haven't got! We have a huge basket in the living room that we fill when he chops wood, and it takes about 2 big builders buckets to fill it, we then try and fill another 2-3 of the builders buckets as well and hide them in the house as they don't look as pretty! At this time ofy arcolif the weather's good enough to get the saw out we tend to do as much sawing as we possibly can as we never know if there's going to be a wet patch where we can't get the extension lead out to the garden... And there's not much worse than having wood you can't use (like now!)
    Right, I'm off to get started on the mega-clear up!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 11th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Well, another Saturday... Am up first as usual, got some washing on, had my breakfast, fed the furries, let Grumpy cat out as she's only been out once since tinies arrived and it's a lovely calm morning. She doesn't stay out long and loves next doors garden which is OK cos their cat quite likes ours.
    Feeling really 'disconnected' from stuff right now... Mse, H, me... Not sure what's going on but guessing it's probably hormone related and will pass.
    Ive got £7+ in my account so I won't be saving much this week-I'm at daughters tomorrow and we have lunch together, I take the makings of it and we cook it together, little treat for us both... Usually includes fish, think tomorrow it's salmon, leeks, broccoli pasta and a cream cheese sauce. I've got most of the ingredients so might get us a cake for afters, grandson now has some too so will get him something too.
    Yesterday we bought some firewood.... Last year we won some and it was a game changer for winter so decided we'd do it again, so that's £66 spent that I really don't object to at all-we get quite a lot of free wood that will bulk it out but that burns quite quickly. It's fine during milder times but we need something harder wearing now. Last year we amazingly won a builders bag of logs and bought another and it lasted Dec-Mar so if this one bag lasts til after new year we'll be happy.
    In other news I managed to fall yesterday.... Mossy cobbles are very slippy don't you know.. I'm fine, but got a sore finger where skins scraped off the knuckle and a sore palm-tree bit under your thumb where I put my hand out to stop myself.... All will be good but I tried to do some crochet later and was just too uncomfy.... So that's a bit stressy-doing a Xmas fair in 3 weeks and worrying I won't have enough stuff.... Gah!
    Back later... Have a great Saturday everyone!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 11th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Well, another Saturday... Am up first as usual, got some washing on, had my breakfast, fed the furries, let Grumpy cat out as she's only been out once since tinies arrived and it's a lovely calm morning. She doesn't stay out long and loves next doors garden which is OK cos their cat quite likes ours.
    Feeling really 'disconnected' from stuff right now... Mse, H, me... Not sure what's going on but guessing it's probably hormone related and will pass.
    Ive got £7+ in my account so I won't be saving much this week-I'm at daughters tomorrow and we have lunch together, I take the makings of it and we cook it together, little treat for us both... Usually includes fish, think tomorrow it's salmon, leeks, broccoli pasta and a cream cheese sauce. I've got most of the ingredients so might get us a cake for afters, grandson now has some too so will get him something too.
    Yesterday we bought some firewood.... Last year we won some and it was a game changer for winter so decided we'd do it again, so that's £66 spent that I really don't object to at all-we get quite a lot of free wood that will bulk it out but that burns quite quickly. It's fine during milder times but we need something harder wearing now. Last year we amazingly won a builders bag of logs and bought another and it lasted Dec-Mar so if this one bag lasts til after new year we'll be happy.
    In other news I managed to fall yesterday.... Mossy cobbles are very slippy don't you know.. I'm fine, but got a sore finger where skins scraped off the knuckle and a sore palm-tree bit under your thumb where I put my hand out to stop myself.... All will be good but I tried to do some crochet later and was just too uncomfy.... So that's a bit stressy-doing a Xmas fair in 3 weeks and worrying I won't have enough stuff.... Gah!
    Back later... Have a great Saturday everyone!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 12th Nov 17, 10:57 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Well, I've rounded down my current account so now my savings account is now +£90..id love to get it to £100 before Xmas but seriously doubt it!
    Got another expensive week coming up so I'm going to try and be mean apart from the days I'm off out.
    Very little shopping going on if I can help it, I got two bags of 'vegetable soup' veg reduced down to 19p each, got one in the soup making and some pulses soaking so that will be lunches for this week for me at least 2-3 days and the rest will freeze.
    Think I'm ready for Monday!!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 19th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Sunday again, really need to post more than once a week. But, in my defence I've still been keeping up with the other diaries I follow.
    So... This week I've done a bit of Xmas shopping, presents and food the main to go with our boxing day lunch of leftovers from Xmas day. I got another-not v exciting - present for H and a couple of bits for dd, her partner and dgs, only really little bits and pieces but all good. I have managed this without dipping into my savings so that's also very good.. I have a couple of debits to go out this week so I might need to scrape some of it back when they go.
    I have cashed out £16 from PA, so just waiting for that to show up and then if necessary I'll use that to top up my current account. As it stands I have £90 in my savings and with the £16 that takes me past my £100 I was hoping to reach by Xmas shopping time. I'll do as much as I can without dipping into my savings though I hope..
    Got to take the kittens for their second set of vaccs this week so thats a dear do-we are doing the £99 each for lifetime vaccs so in the long run it will work out cheaper.. I hope! We' re going to set up a small payment into savings to pay this back so we'll even out eventually...
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 19th Nov 17, 9:08 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Hello Kittychick,
    Hope you have recovered from you little fall, iím a fellow crocheter and very addicted so would hate anything to make it uncomfortable.

Well done for managing to not dip into your savings, sounds like you are still doing really well.

Vaccs are so expensive arenít they, I took my dog for this booster and checkup this week, till it helps to keep them safe.

Reb
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 19th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Yes I'm back to normal.. Not sure if that's a good thing lol.. It's the back guinnel that's cobbled and it gets so slippy.. Not good at all at this time of year.
    I'm feeling pretty good about the savings H will buy his family, he has paid for dgs big present so I'm hoping to get the bits-was chocs, nighty and socks this week!
    I'm doing a stall at a Xmas fair at the beginning of Dec so I'm stressing about not having enough..... It's a fine line between not enough and making too much and wasting money.. Trying to mainly use up stash so I spend as little as possible really. What do you like making Reb?
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 19th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Reb2016
    I’ve made blankets, a couple for my bed, so quite large and baby ones that I give as presents to people having babies always seems to go down well, at the moment I’m working on a triangle scarf, using graduated yarn, really pleased with how it’s coming on.
    I understand where you are coming from with the fair, i’ve done some, and it’s so hard to judge how much to take, what sort of things are you making?

Reb
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 20th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Hi Reb,
    I've done ear warmers, boot cuffs as a really quick chunky, I've put some buttons on them to fancy them up abit. The wool I've had to buy will have cost £3 but I've got about 12 items from it- I don't tend to have much stash that's chunky and a nearby market stall had Stylecraft for £1 a ball. Some of the earwarmers and boot cuffs will be in a set, others single. I've also done some Christmas baubles-box of 20 from b+M for 2.99 and some stash wool and a couple of balls I bought for about £5 so if they sell they'll make a profit. I'm in middle of knitting (!!) some hearts and possibly mitten dec's. I also have made some granny square wrist warmers from stash and final thing is some dk animals from the Edwards Menagerie book, not sure if you know it. And that's all. Oohh and about 4-5 chunky or aran baby hats that need big pompoms putting on.. I'll be glad when it's over stuff that doesn't sell I'll prob send you food bank place for gifts... I've been 'given' the stall for free as we volunteer there but if I sell anything I'll make a donation. I already have sold a chimp to the chair person who's organising it so in theory I'm 'up' already!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 23rd Nov 17, 10:40 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Quick post while listening to Womans Hour and watching the squirrel in the garden. Sat here trying to get myself motivated for my afternoons volunteering..i used to do 3 hours but recently I've taken on a long afternoon shift: 1-6.30 and I always dread it to be honest. When I get there it's fine but it just feels so long. The charity is struggling for volunteers to do what I do so there's no chance if it changing for a while and I do feel quite passionate about this particular service.
    Right, on to mse, a dear week here which is going to get worse. I have £20 left in day to day account and that will be going to the worse this week as H will be paying huge vets bill on Fri for kitten vaccs so I want to cover other stuff. H also paid (money is in my purse) for chimney sweep who didn't turn up... Second time so I'll be contracting someone else for next week.. Also been let down by a roofer, I hate this part of trying to get tradesmen out.
    Back later, huge crash from kittens to investigate!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 4th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Right, been a few days but here we go..
    I mentioned the other week I was doing a Christmas stall at a place where I volunteer. I only really did it because the chair of the charity saw something I'd made and asked me to do her one.. Then pushed me into doing the stall....for free. I decided as it wasn't going to cost me anything I'd go for it.. So yesterday was the day, the last two weeks have been so unbelievably stressful as I have do little confidence. I had my son in law telling me to believe in myself and then on the day a friend texting good luck wishes saying she was sure it'd go well after seeing one of my items and my daughter texted saying good luck send how should have more self confidence....H is always there telling me my stuffs great nd how I should go for it... I'm saying all this to show I do have people cheering for me, but I still don't really believe it.
    Anyway, I did well, better than I thought. I was starting at a point where I was breaking even, the item I sold paid for my outgoings... I then sold two of my big items and several other items and took over £50!
    The things I sold were not the ones I was expecting. I thought the £1-2 items would go, not the £10 ones! So now, I'm considering what to do with my remaining Christmas items... Etsy? Or FB, I am also thinking that if these items do not go they will go to the food bank....
    So that's me. H has Finally paid my cc off-limits starting paying him back at about 1.5-2 times the rate of what I was paying the bank, but with no interest and weekly instead of monthly. Strictly speaking the money comes from our savings but it's attached to his account so I always think of it as 'his' "but he hates me saying that. We also paid half of our 0% cc off too from savings. We are getting next to nothing from them and this way we'll very nearly be able to pay off the whole thing by the time the 0% runs out. We also have a normal cc with nothing on it-we transferred it to the 0% one. I also have a cc in my name except I haven't got an actual active card for the account. If makes me feel safe that if something absolutely awful happened we have them as a fallback... It would have to be a disaster to need them though as we have savings of over 15k..but still I feel better in a 'just in case' way.
    Back later or tomorrow depending on how long these cold and flu meds last!!
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 4th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Well done on the stall, you must have had some really great items to have done so well, so I agree with your family and friends you need to start believing in yourself, easier said than done I know.

Reb
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 10th Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Thanks Reb x
    I opened up my etsy shop and had a sale the first night... It happened because it was someone on my FB and I linked it.. I also have said that for this month that any decs sold 50% of the takings will go to my local foodbank-the one where our reverse advent will go to as well. So , as soon as etsy clears the funds we'll be buying the extras and finishing off what we are buying before taking the parcel in.
    Right, onto mse.. Do not feeling it at the moment... I am doing it, I'm being careful etc, but I'm not counting my NSD's or meal planning etc.. I am however only buying food we need and then using it up... I could be much more organised tho! I am determined once the word is out if the way that ill get right back on the organisational side of things!
    I think I have pretty much finished present buying.. Just remembered a game I've said I'll get dgs, that's only £6....ohh and a couple of bits for H, probably around £5 in total.
    My savings are going down, which is only right, my main aim with them was to be able to buy Hs presents from 'my' money and not joint money.... It bodes well though that I'm really sad at seeing my balance going down. I'll be back to rounding down twice a week after ��.
    Right, off out visiting daughter and other family and we want yo get out early so we get back early... Saying snow until 2pm and then again from 5pm...our road is very steep and narrow and as often as H says "that's why we bought a Land Rover" I still panic!
    Hope everyone's having a good weekend, and not snowed in!!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Well done on the stall - you must be pleased with that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin