Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 5th Aug 17, 5:17 PM
    • 202Posts
    • 479Thanks
    Kittychick
    Trying to beat this thing called debt..
    • 5th Aug 17, 5:17 PM
    Trying to beat this thing called debt.. 5th Aug 17 at 5:17 PM
    Here we go. I'm new to posting but read the diaries and other forums regularly.
    I'm a little different to many other posters in that my debt is very low, only £399 at my LBM but my earnings are zero. Due to ill health I am not working and as such am supported by my husband who has a good wage but when it's split between two people it's not as good as it looks. I have £60 a week in my account but I use that for food shopping, mobile phone bill and dreaded credit card so it's not just purely for me to spend.
    I have two grown children with their own homes although we help them out at times but nothing regular.
    So, bearing in mind the tiny-ness of my debt, why am I here? I am trying to make small changes that will get this debt off my shoulders. It is very important to me that I pay this debt myself and as a first step I have done a bank transfer to move to Halifax and I have used £100 of the transfer fee to pay off my credit card. So that's now £299...
    I won't be doing a SOA as I simply am responsible for phone, credit card some of weekly food payments..
    This is more to keep me on track than anything else
Page 6
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Not ridiculous at all. Our little fur all used to be all cuddly, until the child came along, he now stays well away from all humans in case the small one is around.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 10th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Right, feeling ridiculously crappy, so trying to get rid of that by looking at positives. My to do list for October's going OK.
    *2/11 NSD's
    *stuck to meal plan almost 100% I've got 2 evening meals to 'carry over' - one night H had beans on toast and I had cuppasoup
    *got rid of 1 black bag of m-i-ls stuff into wheel bin for collection today
    *rounding down into savings account becoming a habit at least twice a week.
    * got m-i-ls big cheque to put into our savings account but might be tomorrow before this gets done.
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 10th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Reb2016
    not at all ridiculous to miss your cat, I talk to my dog all the time, so I completely understand why you would have talked to your cat, sounds very normal to me.

I think you are doing so well trying to focus on the positives, and it looks like you are making great progress.

Reb
    Light bulb moment 6th June 2017 £13333.63 Debt now 11967.05
    DFD was October 2020 40 months now 31st Jan 2020 28 months Overdraft £650/£2250
    6/17 NSD October 0/6 in a row
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 12th Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Just realised the post I thought. I'd post yesterday hasn't posted... I'll try to remember it all..
    When our old boy passed away we cancelled his insurance (£34 a month) and we decided to set up a payment of £30 a month into a savings account that will be for general household and car stuff..not a huge amount but will be used for things like chimney sweep, wiper blades etc. We have our savings pot that is more of an emergency fund if we can't pay for big stuff when it happens. We left the £4 in day to day account as just a little of an excess but will be better off each month by more than that as he was on a special (v expensive) diet and although he was insured we had to pay upfront and then were responsible for 20%.
    Yesterday was a spendy one. I bought us a m+s meal for tonight which was £10 but feels like quite a needed treat at the minute. I had some not v nice news yesterday of an issue involving a family member but I can't do anything to help which feels horrible. H has some issues at work that will become clearer next week at a meeting... Unlikely to be redundancy for him as he's one of the longest standing members but the whole thing has been dealt with dreadfully by the high ups, not telling staff what's going on but taking the department off the website etc... He's fuming and more than a little worried...
    Anyway.... Am at Vol Job#1 today, long afternoon today as there's a late appt or two so I'm starting my day slowly, I'll take a lunch with me too and a small pot of chilli and lentil soup too to try and leave the biscuits alone. Back later
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 13th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Managed to get 3/11 NSD yesterday... Quite behind but still hoping to do it, spendy day today though. Might get better over the weekend
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 13th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    So glad I got that 3rd NSD yesterday, today's been a very spendy one. We are now a family of 5! We went to the shelter and got a pair of 7-8 week old kittens. They ate both almost completely black, one boy and one girl. We will be deciding on names as they grow. Our 6 year old tabby is not happy, she's growling and hissing.. The kittens are mostly ignoring her although one has stood up to her and growled back. I'm sure they will manage. However, they will be separated at bedtime and if we aren't at home just to make sure until the size difference evens itself out. The savings we are making on the old boys monthly policy will now go towards their injections and neutering. So will be covered.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Oct 17, 12:03 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Ahh how lovely. 2 kittens though. You are very brave. We've got 1 kitty and he's aging, part of me wants to get a kitten, but then the old boy has had to put up with the child over the last 18months. A kitten may be too much.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 15th Oct 17, 12:17 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Our cat isn't old, but she's struggling with the kittens. She's been a little better and she's getting lots of treats.we're being careful to give her plenty of space and doing things like feeding her before paying them attention, also trying to distract her with chicken when she gets abit growly..
    4th NSD today... Tomorrow unlikely to be another...
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 15th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Hi thought I'd posted last night but obviously didn't! Was just trying to catch up with everyone's diaries... aw.. 2 kitties... lovely!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 15th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Woohoo, NSD5 today, catching up now, might still hit my target, definitely going to try!
    The kittens are into everything and quite like my leg to climb up to get them onto the sofa and ofcourse the sofas good to reach other stuff.. I've spotted the young chap trying to weigh up the up lighter and it's light shade!
    Old cat still not happy but we always knew we were going to be playing the long game with this. She was slightly less growly last night and is getting lots of chicken and big fusses and I'm sure she'll get bored with being grumpy as when she hisses and growls it's not like they take any notice of her, they just tend to carry on with whatever they are doing and I think it will get a bit stale soon.
    On a more mse note I've just rounded down my current account and now have £92+ in my savings!!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounding like a good day all round. Kitties are so mischievous. I love their antics, and the fact it seems like they've got springs instead of bones in their legs.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 15th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Yes, these two are very bouncy.. Currently crashed out on their bed together.. I said to H yday that they're all legs and tail!
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 15th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Reb2016
    The kittens sound lovely, and well done on the savings great progress :-)
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 16th Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    It's going to be an expensive few weeks though, not even adding Xmas into that equation. The kittens need their vaccinations at the end of the month. We are looking at doing the thing where u pay £99 and it covers their vacs for life but to do that you have to also pay £49 each for the first vaccination. So that's nearly £300 in one go. Then at 5 months they both need neutering. Not something we would not do but we might spread that over 2 months, get girly Cat done first so we have no risk of babies then the next month get little boy chopped. I mentioned before we are saving £30 a month so that will go towards it and rest will come from savings we jointly have. The £30 a month will carry on being saved into an emergency account that's separate to normal savings just for household.
    Older cat who it's easier if I call Tabby for now isn't happy but I'm hoping it will ease off. She was never best mates with our old chap but she tolerated him. We are hoping she'll come to see that they aren't a threat to her and she'll just ignore them-they don't take much notice of her so hopefully it will get boring soon.
    Doing an extra short session at voluntary job#1 today, so I might pick up a couple of bits while I'm down there-we are out of baked beans which we use once or twice a week either for tea or lunches. Also getting at least a couple of batches of chunky broth made today-I made a fantastic broccoli, cauliflower and blue cheese soup at weekend from some very sad broccoli and some cauli scraps.
    Looking to get a tub of bns and lentil daal made this week too but want to check what's in the freezer first. Spare freezer is emptying well, I think all the ready-meals(batch cooking) are out of there and into day to day freezer, need to see what else I can move over, might be able to defrost spare freezer be weekend and get that ticked off October list.
    Back later...
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 16th Oct 17, 11:30 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Right. I made two pots of broth in the soup maker, had a bowl for lunch, H will have one tomorrow and so will I. That will leave about three or four portions to freeze. Really love my soupmaker(s). This time of year I usually make at least two lots each week and they're so handy to just switch on and leave.
    Small shop this afternoon, couple of bits from b+m and also got some yellow stickers from Morrisons for tea. Couple of meals to add to this week's meal plan then we'll be sorted-I found a couple of big tubs of butternut squash and lentil daal in the spare freezer so that's a meal this week and next. There's also at least 4 portions of chilli and 6-8 cowboy pies without the mash so again each of those will be a meal this week and one next, I'll just get extras to go with them-might make some cheesey mash for one night with the cb pie. Spare freezer probably less than half full now, mainly bread products and falafels in there (H went mad when they were on offer in Costco and it's only him who likes them!)
    Right, my bedtime
    Back tomorrow
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 17th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Well, all that sorting out of the freezers isn't always such a good thing..
    We have lots of frozen fruit and generally use it each breakfast. Yesterday I spotted a small bag of strawberries in the spare freezer and put them with the other breakfast fruit, I remembered to use them this morning. I had mine with weetabix, raspberry yogurt and lots of other berries. A couple of mouthfuls tastes abit odd and I wondered had I somehow transferred some garlic/onion type flavouring into my bowl or on my spoon from making Hs lunch. H has a similar breakfast but with plain milk, he started eating his and I was recounting a story I'd just heard on the radio to him and his face was a picture... He started saying 'is there something cumin-y, or curry flavoured in this?' I said I'd noticed a slight taste but that he was having it anyway but id get him some honey to cover it a little. I assumed that somehow either the fruit had got tainted or the new packet of weetabix was. Later this morning I thought I'd get a couple of strawberries out to defrost and see if it was them as we'd used all the other fruits earlier in the week. I got one out, thought it looked a bit odd... Maybe a touch of freezer burn on what had been a slightly mushed strawberry. But no, it wasn't a strawberry, it was a beetroot falafel! We had just had weetabix, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and beetroot falafels in warm milk or yogurt.... Really should label those bags!
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 17th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Happierdays
    oh no kittychick! Sounds like the sort of thing I could easily do as I never label anything stashed in the fridge or freezer... a lesson to us all... now where are those labels...
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 17th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    That is a brilliant story. It's made me laugh.

Remind me not to visit at breakfast though.
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 17th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Love the story I have a craving for beetroot falafel now though

Reb
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 18th Oct 17, 7:43 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Lol, thanks all... It was just plain weird at the time and I think that was because I didn't get the full force of them as they were slathered in quite strongly tasting raspberry yogurt.... H however only had milk to cover it... And his had been heated up in the microwave too! He's threatening to just go back on toast but that's not going to happen lol
    Yesterday was NSD 6 so I'm getting there, only 5 more to go...need to stay strong, I'm very tempted to go into the big city today just so I get out of the house but that would mean leaving the kitts all day... And also it would be spendy... Hmm, have to make a decision.
    Ive got to get cracking with my Xmas making too which I can do at home or while I'm out so that doesn't really narrow it down. I'll pop back in later to update on any breakfast related incidents
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin