Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 5th Aug 17, 5:17 PM
    • 223Posts
    • 541Thanks
    Kittychick
    Trying to beat this thing called debt..
    • 5th Aug 17, 5:17 PM
    Trying to beat this thing called debt.. 5th Aug 17 at 5:17 PM
    Here we go. I'm new to posting but read the diaries and other forums regularly.
    I'm a little different to many other posters in that my debt is very low, only £399 at my LBM but my earnings are zero. Due to ill health I am not working and as such am supported by my husband who has a good wage but when it's split between two people it's not as good as it looks. I have £60 a week in my account but I use that for food shopping, mobile phone bill and dreaded credit card so it's not just purely for me to spend.
    I have two grown children with their own homes although we help them out at times but nothing regular.
    So, bearing in mind the tiny-ness of my debt, why am I here? I am trying to make small changes that will get this debt off my shoulders. It is very important to me that I pay this debt myself and as a first step I have done a bank transfer to move to Halifax and I have used £100 of the transfer fee to pay off my credit card. So that's now £299...
    I won't be doing a SOA as I simply am responsible for phone, credit card some of weekly food payments..
    This is more to keep me on track than anything else
Page 3
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 31st Aug 17, 8:49 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Aiming for a NSD today. At voluntary job this afternoon and Husband is at doctors having a retinopathy so that's us both occupied this afternoon
    I've got a tub of soup left over for my lunch and will get a bag of snacks to take too, will be an even longer day than normal as I'll go with husband to docs, then on his way back I'll head into 'work' for the afternoon.
    Got some chilli our ready for tea, going to chop up some wedges before I go out then just them to cook when I get back tonight..
    Need to get Husband to put some cash in my account from when we had to use it in the two days between getting back from holiday and his payday today... Strictly speaking even if he didn't I'd manage but I'd like to be able to make some extra payments on Sunday into savings and onto credit card and they'd be pretty meagre as things stand..
    My soup maker broke yesterday- bought it on new years eve and in March it started fusing the house so we returned it.. Yesterday the replacement started making weird noises when I was blending. When I took the lid off the spinning blade had sheared off! Got husband on Twitter to MR got an initial reply but nothing since, will see what today brings and if nothing it's going back to Costco tomorrow!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 2nd Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    A very spendy day yesterday but it's OK because it was within plan. After Husbands payday we always do a 'big shop' and that was the day. . I've pretty much stocked up with larder goods, pasta, spaghetti, tinned toms, passata etc. Need to do a similar thing with frozen stuff next week but we are fairly well stocked for the majority stuff but I noticed Q sausages are on offer at one supermarket so we'll get 4-5 bags and frozen veg, otherwise the freezers are over 75% full.
    Managed to use one of my 'cashback rewards' dodahs yesterday on the way home, will only bring in around 40p but I've decided any rewards like this will go into savings.. Think it might not come through til around the end of the month so I'll need to keep an eye out for that coming through.
    Had chat with Husband yday, he's going to pay off my cc and I'll then pay him back just the same as I've been paying bank but with no interest. He has offered before but I've always said no, now the card is quite low and I'm feeling like I'm getting somewhere with it, I feel more in the frame of mind that I can let him do this-I am so dependent on him I've always felt quite strongly that I should at the very least be able to sort this.. But now I can see all I was doing was punishing myself. It might be a couple of weeks before we do it but should be paid off this month.
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 3rd Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Voluntary job #2 done today, it's only once a month.. I was expecting it to be a slow, quite boring day but it didn't drag too much and we got to bring home a couple of loaves..
    Couple of bags of chips for tea, after serving food all day the last thing I want is to start cooking so we kind of new it would prob be a chippy tea. Took our own lunch and just bought a cake so I didn't feel mean not buying..
    An extra £3 in savings - now £7.59-when it gets to £10 I'm buying one of Husbands Xmas presents, i'm going to put an extra weeks cc payment to one side as all of a sudden I'm worried I could have been paying into the wrong account for credit card... I'll move it into savings account and withdraw and pay cash at the bank.. No doubt a silly worry but I'd rather make sure it's going to the right place.
    Feeling really tired and a bit low, but I think these things are linked..
    Back tomorrow..
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 5th Sep 17, 5:50 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Sounds like you've been busy kittychick -
    No wonder you're feeling tired... hope you feel brighter after some rest if you can get any xx
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 5th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Just had a read through of your diary Kittychick, sounds like you are doing really well. I think you are right about working especially about financial things being linked with feeling tired and low, but now you are focusing on what happens with your finances that means you notice any little issues sooner and stop them from becoming big issues, which is a really positive thing.

Going to subscribe to your journey
    Reb
    Light bulb moment 6th June 2017 £13333.63 Debt now 11837.25
    DFD was October 2020 40 months now 21st Dec 2019 26 months Overdraft £720/£2250
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 6th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Thanks Reb, I am definitely noticing stuff much more of a financial nature-before I was v much of a fingers in ears 'la-la-la' nature... I've just out the dates for cc and mobile payments in my phone calender- they're only 3 days apart so I could really do to carry some over each week so that week isn't horrible-like it usually is.
    Hoping to get cc paid off this month (by Husband) but then my payments will transfer to him and I'll start to notice a difference quicker.. He argues that the savings it will come from are 'ours' but I beg to differ..
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 6th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Yesterday was a NSD, the second of the month, I'm aiming for 10 for September but today was quite spendy, we went to the cinema, Husband paid but I paid for coffee before hand-ive got 25% cashback for any spends at this shop but won't come through until Oct, that will go into savings account. We took snacks with us so although it was a spendy afternoon it wasn't anything terrible (2 for 1 tickets)
    Nothing else really.. Early night as I'm really tired again still after 11 as I write this though.. Night all
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 7th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Thursday already. Not a NSD, far from it.. I got us a takeaway on my way back from volunteering.. Long afternoon with not much going on... Could have left before 5pm but there was an appointment booked for 5.30, sadly the person who's appt it was didn't show up so it was closer to 6pm...
    Very tired again, wondering about going to bed, it's 9.05, slept til after 10am this morning, in fact I was woken by Husband which is unheard of-him being awake first... Think maybe I'm slipping into a low phase abit with the tiredness being the manifestation..
    Positive news (must be some surely ) rounded down everyday account today by 11p! £7.50+ in savings... Been looking at cds for Husband-will be ordered from outside of UK so want to get ordered soon, there's one for around £11 so as soon as I've got over £9 I'm ordering..
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 8th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Trying to be a bit more positive today. Yes, today will be another spendy one but it will be controlled spending. Still chasing my third NSD (I'm aiming for 10). Heading into the city with Husband-he's popping in work for a leaving do. I'll get the shopping I need that can only be from shops there and then I'll head for a coffee that will earn me 25% back next month.
    Laters..going to tai-chi now..
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 9th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    As predicted Friday was a spendy one, nothing unexpected-TC lesson which I'm not counting as it's a regular expense & would mean I could never get a Friday NSD. Although yesterday that was never a danger! I bought my lunch, which was about £3, then I bought a coffee... I did compromise & go for the coffee shop where I'll get 25% cashback though & its the same price as the more preferred one so when that finally comes through in Oct it will be a few pennies or more likely around £2.50 into Xmas present pot.
    Other things I spent on were a wedding card-for today & a bus fare over to H's office (aka pub round corner for retirement drinks). So that was another £3.25.. But that was all..
    We called into Costco on way home to pick up a couple of items on special offer this week-huge jar of coffee for £8.99 and a big tub of couscous for under £3...asda on way past brought some cat food and reduced stir fry for today's lunch... Again Husband paid..i was stressing over how we seem to be buying lots at the minute but as he pointed out we will have v little shopping to do now for rest of the month other than freshfruit and dairy..
    Back later..
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 9th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Ps, just checked, in last 9 days, I've squirelled £3.43 into savings... More than I've ever done, or not since I was in dire circumstances 10+ years ago.. Feels pretty good to be doing it for hood reasons rather than desperation
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 9th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    And another ps.. If I saved a similar amount for 3 out of 4 weeks per month (week 4 is when dds get paid so not counting that one) ..then I'd be at about £10 squirelled per month... Nowhere near a huge amount that many have here but i start off with a much lower baseline... So I should be able to save around £5 a month and pay an extra £5 aka a 50% + overpayment each month and once it goes to H's account and there's no interest that will make a big difference.. Could have transferred to him monthsago but I didn't want to admit to him how much it was (£400+) I'm also feeling quite pleased I've managed to get it down under the £300 mark by now..
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 9th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Hi Kittychick,
    Great news on the savings, really shows how quickly things can up when you are keeping a close eye on them.
    Great idea to take snacks to the cinema the prices for snacks at the cinema are just shocking.
    Reb
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 11th Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Thanks Reb,
    I know it's a slow process on a low income but I'm determined-creditcard went up last year with Xmas expenses and as others have said once you've spent its easier to go 'sod it, I'll get a coffee and sandwich on my card as well' in my defence I didn't spend nearly £400 on Xmas and coffee but with % interest and about £90 already on the balance it just sneaks up.
    H's back in work today but possibly the only day he has to go in, it means I can start to get back in control-generally, always easier when he's not home and we don't feel like we have to be snacking or popping out for walks or shopping..
    The kitchen is currently looking like a complete tip so that's my job for this morning.. Going to do that while Womans Hour is on... Dishwashers already going and I'm nursing a coffee and listening to Chris Molesey..
    Back later...
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 14th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Big spends yesterday...
    We took daughter, partner and grandson to pizza hut for tea, we'd planned going to buffet at lunchtime... Then the car broke down and we needed to call out breakdown service. Luckily we have a membership that has now paid for itself. Car is now parked outside the house and we'll get a mobile mechanic out next week. Luckily we have a second car as a cheaper city runaround as main car is big old 4x4 that we really need for wood gathering and bad weather which we get to quite a brutal extent up here. So, breakdown guy dropped us off and we went back out but by time we were sorted lunchtime buffet was finished and it was the dearer teatime one. I think we've only taken out my daughter and her family a couple of times in the last year so it was lovely to be able to do it. H paid but I've put £20 in the pot. I have very little in the way of food shopping to do this week so it's affordable
    Onto the other events of yesterday. I had a call about a research project I'd signed up for, was I still interested? I said yes, although I was a bit wary as he was saying I needed to Skype but couldn't use the iPad, that it must be on desktop or laptop. So after talking to H we decided it was worth buying a Webcam as it will open up other projects. So last night we were trying to get it going.. What a performance. By 10.45 I gave up and emailed saying I was going to have to withdraw. Anyway I made sure I was up incase they didn't get the email and sure enough the researcher called at the agreed time and I had to apologise and explain why I couldn't do it. At this point he said he was happy to go ahead and do the talking on his phone while I looked at the visuals. I asked should I go and get on the PC as I was currently on iPad, he said 'iPad will be great' and so we did it on the iPad, we didn't need to use phones cos mic works on the iPad.. At the end he apologised for the recruitment agency giving me the wrong info and advised me to take the Webcam back so I get to pocket all the fee!!
    That's what I'll be doing later.... £50 being split between savings, cc and little treat for hubby and I. Thinking m+s eat in meal if there's any veggie options!
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 15th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    I've just transferred the £40 left after our m+s treat tea last night into savings account. £20 is going to cc-im aiming for £10 to mine and £10 to H's to pay a little more from the pizza, he's saying no but I really want to. We'll see on that one. We should be helping mother in law start to move house today but her solicitor has said there may be a hitch.. Huge surprise there then... Hmm
    The move has been ongoing since March, she is buying without selling hers as is able to almost scrape the amount needed to buy her new place and we and her other son are helping a little. As it happens, she has got a buyer for hers and hopefully that will complete me t week. When that's all done our savings will be back to a healthier level and I will be happy to let H payoff my cc.
    I'm abit worried it might all collapse at the last minute as these things can and with our #1 car 'failing to proceed' the other day it's abit of a worry...but H is fine with it, he's less of a worrier than I am and definitely not the natural pessimist I see in the mirror each day. Although I did spot him looking on Autotrader last. If worse comes to worst, we have car#2 for short term, not great if my daughters family come out with us anywhere but we can manage otherwise. Worse comes to worst #2, we have a good credit limit on 0% card for over 12 months and surely house would sell in that time.
    Right, on my way... Tfi Friday and all that...
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 15th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Sounds like you had a lovely time with your daughter shame about the car, fingers crossed it's something cheap and easy to sort. Great news about the research, and even better that you can now return the web camera.

Reb
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 15th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Thanks Reb... Certainly been a mixed week!
    Seems like sale on m-i-ls house will def be going through so that's a relief.. We got her half moved this afternoon and need to be at her new place by 8am tomorrow for new fridge to be delivered. Means us leaving home by about 7....not good, neither of us is morning people
    Been able to do some Prolific academic surveys today, I've obviously been looking at the wrong times before, my balance has shot up! Just been working out how I'm doing on my surveys, here is the grand total..
    Onepoll 6.55/40
    Opinium 2.25/25
    PA 10.42
    SB 656
    ResearchOp 3.20- had a look for what the cash out is on this but couldn't find it, any ideas?
    With my two big 1-1 researches I'm well into the black for the next few cc payments... Only problem is most of these amounts will take quite a while to reach the minimum. Will be nice when cc is paid off and these can go towards nice stuff..
    Think it might be my bedtime.. Night all x
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 16th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Really tired but want to reward this.. 5/10 NSD's....too tired to even woohoo... Moved m-i-l today... Not planning on leaving my bed tomorrow so maybe another NSD..
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 3,164 Thanks
    louby40
    You have been busy.

On the survey front....not exactly a survey as such, but have a look at Quotas Postal - you sign up with them and they send letters to you that you then have to return, you then log what you've received online. They track the efficiency of the postal servic. I get about £5 a month paid via PayPal or you can let it build up.
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £450/£600 Car maintenance £50/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £250
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,391
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £109,024 (without mortgage) = £13,633
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

2,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin