Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Which do you think is best?

Lloyd’s Bank

56.67% • 17 votes

Halifax Bank

43.33% • 13 votes

You may not vote on this poll

30 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • gettinnerdy
    • By gettinnerdy 4th Aug 17, 8:52 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gettinnerdy
    Is more than one bank account better?
    • 4th Aug 17, 8:52 PM
    Is more than one bank account better? 4th Aug 17 at 8:52 PM
    I have two current accounts now, down from 6 as I've been consolidating.

I have a Barclays Bank Account and a Halifax Current Account - and I don't pay any fees for either of them.

I'm wondering what the majority of people do...

Have one current account for everything? Or if many of you have two - and maybe use one just for direct debits and the monthly bills and each month transfer just enough money into the bill paying Account to cover all the bills?

Or do you find it easier just to have the one account with everything there?
Page 5
    • Richey_
    • By Richey_ 30th Nov 17, 12:23 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Richey_
    Your just a spoil sport busybody, these are all serious posts and responses.

Btw Martin Lewis doesn’t like you
    Originally posted by gettinnerdy
    Thank you for the abusive private message and thank you for the bizarre message above, proves my point. Go Back to counting all of your millions of pounds and enjoying the high life. If you were this rich you would have financial advisers not self set up polls on a web forum which are vague and make no sense. Like I said it’s feeding a troll. Enjoy fantasy land, my friend.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 30th Nov 17, 8:49 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    msallen
    Don't be so hard on him/her/it Richey. They managed to set a brand new record for getting on my ignore list so quickly after creating their account.
    • Richey_
    • By Richey_ 30th Nov 17, 9:08 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Richey_
    Don't be so hard on him/her/it Richey. They managed to set a brand new record for getting on my ignore list so quickly after creating their account.
    Originally posted by msallen
    You are making me feel mean now!
    I suppose everybody has the right to dream.........
    Who are we to pop their bubbles and say it’s not true.
    It must be tough having to change your name to escape debt, then becoming a millionaire very quickly. Anything’s possible I suppose when you live in Narnia

• gettinnerdy
    • By gettinnerdy 30th Nov 17, 1:31 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gettinnerdy
    If you think being called a troll on private message is abusive, god help you if someone called you something in a pub on Friday night lol
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    pmduk
    We’ve banked with Barclays for over 30 years and, all in all, they’ve been good. As for kaperski, well, the good old US of A have just banned all government departments from using it because they fear links with the Russian government. I certainly wouldn’t use it.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    The only links the Russians want with the US are already inside the White House.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 1st Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    In a recent forum poll, a staggering 80% voted that Lloyds is better than barclays.

Lloyds has 3.1k likes on Facebook where barclays has over 6k.

Why does barclays get so much more bad press? Or is it just because they are a bigger bank with more customers so therefore more people to complain about them?

IMO, their app is miles ahead of any other banking apps and has been for the last 7 years
    Perhaps you might have considered declaring your interest before praising them....
    I also work at Barclays
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 1st Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Perhaps you might have considered declaring your interest before praising them....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    ...an interesting point.

I wonder if lincsvape is in any way related to gettinnerdy
    Originally posted by badger09
    Update: opened my barclays premier account this evening - thank you
    Originally posted by lincsvape
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Broadwood
    • By Broadwood 1st Dec 17, 10:33 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Broadwood

Pros:
    Good online banking and phone app product;
    Free Kaspersky antivirus for PC and phone;
    I can do just about everything I want to do online but personal bankers in branch have always been able to resolve any (very occasional) issues.

Cons:
    Low interest rates on savings accounts;
    Call centre (though I’ve found their secure message response to be good on the odd occasion I’ve used it).
    Originally posted by Wellard Mann
    Seems the free Kaspersky antivirus software offer has been suspended if not pulled for good.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/security/free-kaspersky-internet-security/
    Studying at The University of Life.
    • Wellard Mann
    • By Wellard Mann 2nd Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Wellard Mann
    Seems the free Kaspersky antivirus software offer has been suspended if not pulled for good.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/security/free-kaspersky-internet-security/
    Originally posted by Broadwood
    I just saw that too. I looked at the Barclays website after seeing the BBC News website this morning. Whilst the statement from the Cyber Security Centre makes it clear that they are not recommending the general public to stop using the product and the last thing they want is for people to panic and uninstall the product, I can understand Barclays being cautious. As for me personally, whilst I’ve been using the product for years on the original recommendation of a colleague in the industry – paying for it before Barclays made it freely available to customers – I guess it’s time for a rethink as this story develops.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 2nd Dec 17, 12:06 PM
    • 10,337 Posts
    • 19,072 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Barclays are an awful bank. If it weren’t for the £500 fee free student overdraft I have with them and wouldn’t get elsewhere I would be off.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 2nd Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Barclays are an awful bank. If it weren’t for the £500 fee free student overdraft I have with them and wouldn’t get elsewhere I would be off.
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    So they're lending you money when nobody else will? Atrocious behaviour....
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 2nd Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    We’ve banked with Barclays for over 30 years and, all in all, they’ve been good. As for kaperski, well, the good old US of A have just banned all government departments from using it because they fear links with the Russian government. I certainly wouldn’t use it.
    Barclays say, this morning, that they will no longer offer kasperski to customers. Too late, Vladimir knows exactly what you do with your dosh.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 2nd Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Barclays say, this morning, that they will no longer offer kasperski to customers. Too late, Vladimir knows exactly what you do with your dosh.
    I would complain and ask for £200 as compensation.

If the Go To bank (I laugh every time at that) have pulled it, they will soon be giving an alternative option. The worrying thing is that their Eagles will be involved !
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 2nd Dec 17, 4:27 PM
    • 5,281 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Barclays don't get a bad press from me, used them for >40 years and they've never let me down. Had a good offset mortgage with them too. Probably the best online banking interface, especially now they've automated the link through to Barclaycard. When I need a branch (rarely) I have around 10 within a 10 mile radius.
    I have noticed that they seem to prefer to have customers who are solvent and leave a bit of dosh in their account. Dealing with bad debts must be a PITA and a loss-maker.
    Last edited by mgdavid; 02-12-2017 at 4:39 PM.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 2nd Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I have noticed that they seem to prefer to have customers who are solvent and leave a bit of dosh in their account.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    I think if that were the case they might offer some accounts that pay even a modest amount of interest.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • ah23
    • By ah23 4th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ah23
    More than one, but not too many.
    It can be useful to have an account which is generally empty, for any transactions which might seem a little suspicious, to limit the damage.
    Several accounts means several x the daily cash withdrawal limit.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    I don't understand, what do you mean?

Are you saying it is a good idea to keep one 'spare' current account empty in case there's a substantial windfall which you shift into it, rather than your other accounts? I don't get how this makes anything more or less suspicious? Genuine q...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 18,768 Posts
    • 14,479 Thanks
    agrinnall
    OP has changed the thread title which makes most of the preceding 5 pages less meaningful - poor show.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 4,909 Thanks
    Biggles
    OP has changed the thread title which makes most of the preceding 5 pages less meaningful - poor show.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    May I substitute 'less meaningful' with 'completely pointless', please?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Dec 17, 9:06 AM
    • 18,768 Posts
    • 14,479 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Originally posted by Biggles
    I was being nice, but you are right of course.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 5th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 5,588 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    badger09
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Originally posted by Biggles
    So no different to all his/her other threads then
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin