Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EricBV
    • By EricBV 4th Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EricBV
    Repairing cut power cable for hedgetrimmer
    • 4th Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    Repairing cut power cable for hedgetrimmer 4th Aug 17 at 4:55 PM
    Hi all.

I am trying to repair a hedgetrimmer which has a cut power cable. I have read that there are a few ways to go about this such as using block connectors, refitting the old cable back to the appliance (if the cable left attached to the appliance is a shorter length) or stripping the cable back and attaching the wires using electrical insulation tape (which seems to be the least safest method).

I prefer to go with the second method of refitting the old cut cable back to the appliance so that the cable is continuous. I would like some advice of how to go about this please. I have managed to open up the hedgetrimmer but I am not sure as to whether I will have to keep the gold bit (crimp) at the end of the blue and brown wires. Would it be safe to strip back the longer cable at the end (the blue and brown wires) which is going to be reattached and fit it straight into the white piece and screw them down like before. Or would the crimp at the end be required? This is the first time I am attempting a repair like this so would be very thankful for any help and advice I can get.
Page 2
    • Gardener9
    • By Gardener9 8th Sep 17, 1:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Gardener9
    Stop cutting your hedge trimmer cable
    Under the heading of "prevention is better than cure",this is an idea for Eric BV and anyone else who wants to use it, it has stopped me cutting my hedge trimmer cable for the last thirty years, I fit it to every new hedge trimmer I buy.
    The simplicity of this idea is that its inexpensive and effective, the solution to not cutting the cable of hedge trimmers is the width of the cutting blade openings, this is usually a width to allow twigs to enter the cutting shear action but to stop a finger going into the shear area.
    This same principal is achieved by putting the plastic flexible conduit onto the area of cable that is vulnerable, it does not physically protect the cable and would easily be cut if it could enter the shear area but by using the correct diameter conduit for each machines cutting openings, the protected area is simply pushed away from danger.
    I have used 1.5 metres of the conduit below on my hedge trimmer by simply removing the plug, slipping the conduit up the cable and fixing it to the rubber sleeve of the hedge trimmer with insulation tape, by putting a couple of turns of insulation tape around the electrical cable at the other end, your cable is now protected.
    Put the plug back on the cable and your good to go, this can be retro fitted but would be very easily introduced into production and in the last twenty years of using this idea, I have not been able to cut my cable, if the person using the hedge trimmer was particularly stupid the whole cable could be covered.
    Search, BLACK PLASTIC SPIRAL CONDUIT TUBE PIPE SPLIT & NON-SPLIT on e-bay, use the non-split as its more crush resistant, the 16mm outside dia is the one I use.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 8th Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 6,221 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    ohreally
    Op, drop the appliance of at a workshop and ask the supply cord is replaced.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 10th Sep 17, 11:33 AM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Please don't repair a broken cable with block connectors and electrical tape as advised by Mr Bodge It above. Do the job properly using an appropriate IP rated connection as had already been advised by others in this thread.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 10th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    decbel
    If you cut the cable but want to finish the job there and then you might well have a block connector laying around.

You are not likely to have a 2 pin connector.

Half of this is that people don't trust their re-wiring skills.

Another option is to cut out the damaged piece of cable and re-wire the plug because you are likely to be on an extension lead anyway. Done that one as well.

The point about grass cutting and moisture is this-if the grass is long you strim it first, then mow it.
    Last edited by decbel; 10-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,156Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin