Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 3rd Aug 17, 4:27 PM
    • 240Posts
    • 393Thanks
    Silence101
    Half a house
    • 3rd Aug 17, 4:27 PM
    Half a house 3rd Aug 17 at 4:27 PM
    So we're applying for a mortgage for a shared ownership. IF it goes ahead I want to try and overpay a little every month and save up for the deposit for the 2nd half.
    If it doesn't go ahead I want to save up more deposit. Either way I need to try and stay accountable!

I was thinking of dividing our spare monthly cash in 4 (after bills and food etc)
    a) 1/4 to overpay mortgage
    b) 1/4 to save towards deposit
    c) 1/4 to save for emergency fund etc
    d) to spend

If the mortgage doesn't work out I'll be putting a+b towards a deposit to improve our LTV rates.
    Is it a realistic division or would you add more categories, like home improvement?

UPDATE (p8)
    We have got the keys! I'll update some more once we have all the paperwork sorted.
    Last edited by Silence101; 27-09-2017 at 7:24 PM. Reason: We've bought the house!
Page 9
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 28th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Mr S finished work early, so he's gone up with another car load of boxes, and will attempt to put the carpet down in one room. I feel bad because he's been doing the bulk of the work so far, but I have to look after the children, and it's almost impossible to do it up there without getting in the way. I'm packing boxes, and will be the one unpacking them too, so I guess I'm helping a bit. The old place is looking more and more cluttered as I'm emptying all the cupboards, and Mr S's car is quite small, so it gets filled a lot quicker than I expect. I almost want to get a taxi up with more boxes, but that would end up very pricey indeed!
    We still don't know when we'll be hiring the van for the bulk of the furniture. I like having a plan, so this is quite stressful as I don't know how much to pack without making this place inhabitable!
    Last edited by Silence101; 28-09-2017 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
    09/17 Shared Ownership 50% share - Mortgage £77500 Original MFW 2052
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 29th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Painting
    I'm off to buy a roller, so I can paint the bedroom wall before Mr S puts the carpet down in our room.
    I'll be doing that this morning while Mr S is at work, and then I can help him putting the carpet down, or the grippers for the stairs.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 29th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    What a long day! I'm not used to this much physical activity anymore!
    Painting
    I've painted the wall in the bedroom. We'll check it tomorrow to see if it needs one last coat.
    Flooring
    It took me 3 hours to put the grippers on the stairs and another 2 to put all the underlay down. I've just had a nice hot bath to try and recover!
    The girls bedroom flooring is finished, lovely pink carpet! We'll be putting the carpet on the stairs and our bedroom tomorrow (if we have enough time, it all takes so much long than anticipated!)
    10/17 OP £50
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 29th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I'm impressed you are laying carpet yourself.
    I wouldn't even know where to start.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 29th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Mr S has fitted the carpet following YouTube videos. I'll be helping/hindering him tomorrow, although I did do all the underlay and grippers for the stairs, which was a much bigger job than I anticipated!

We are thinking of going to see different flooring options for downstairs tomorrow morning, as time is ticking and all the options seem to be labour heavy, so we need to get started as soon as upstairs is done (hopefully by Sunday!)

The local council is giving plants away tomorrow, so we're going to see if we can have some for the garden. I think it's going to take a long time before we know what plants work in the soil, and how to have colour all year round.

We noticed a for rent sign in front of our place so I'm expecting the estate agents to want to do viewings. It's going to be tricky to get the place neat enough now we've started packing. Once the upstairs of the new place is carpeted I think we're going to start moving stuff into there, but there's still a lot of boxes that belong downstairs. I'm sure they'll be used to it, but it's the first time we've been in a position where viewings might happen while we are still here.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 30th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Flooring
    We've made a decision for downstairs. We've bought engineered wood flooring for the living room, and the underlay. It was just over £420 so not bad for the size of the room, and about half the price of other options we were looking at.
    We'll probably do tiling in the hallway.

Garden
    We managed to get quite a few flowers, so they'll brighten the garden up for the time being.

Appliances
    Mr S is picking up our freezer and washing machine from his parents' garage today. We still need to buy a fridge and a dishwasher (2nd hand).

Furniture
    We've decided we will try and get a bunk bed after all, so I'm going to see what I can find online. We also need wardrobes, but I've seen some 2nd hand ones for about £50 so it won't break the bank.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 1st Oct 17, 6:26 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    First day of the month!

Busy day planned, we're hoping to get all the carpet down today. I made a mistake with the stair carpet yesterday so have wasted quite a bit of carpet, so it's going to be tight. We're bringing a roll of paper to make templates today, to avoid wasting anymore.

We're also hoping to have time to paint, garden and start putting underlay downstairs.
    We're planning on tiling the hallway, but we should have a big enough carpet remnant to cover it for the time being if we run out of time before we need to move.

I've set up my goals for the month, some should be more manageable than others (the first 2 are going to take a lot more willpower, especially the fizzy drinks one!)

October Goals

Dry October
    0/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    0/31
    Daily Tilly Tidy
    0/31 £0 total
    Set up rent and mortgage Standing Orders
    Set up internet banking for mortgage
    Overpay £100
    £0/£100
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 1st Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Another long day, but all the carpet has been fitted, the underlay is laid downstairs, the 2nd wall has had 2 coats, and I managed to plant some more flowers.
    We had a takeaway, so not a very cheap day, but still cheaper than if we'd paid for fitting.

Last night I actually wrote a list of jobs for both of us to do, and we managed to tick them all off. By midday I really thought we might only manage half as the stairs were a lot harder than anticipated, but we did it all in the end.

Tomorrow is going to be spent at home packing, cleaning and resting.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 2nd Oct 17, 6:22 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    The plan for today is to pack all the books, and start packing the bedroom stuff. There's a lot of things that we might be able to declutter too.
    Mr S might be able to put some of the flooring down tonight, depending how tired he is after work.

October Goals

Dry October
    1/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    1/31
    Daily Tilly Tidy
    £1.39 total
    Set up rent and mortgage Standing Orders
    Set up internet banking for mortgage
    Overpay £100
    £0/£100
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 3rd Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Yesterday I packed half the books and now I need to look for more boxes. Mr S managed to put 1/4 of the living room flooring down. If he continues at that rate he should be done by Friday.
    I've spent the morning trying to tidy and clean the old house, it's getting really messy and difficult to keep on top of it all. I can't wait to move now, both houses are getting messier, because of all the boxes and lack of storage. I think we're hiring a van for this weekend, so I need to empty all the furniture asap.

October goals

Dry October
    2/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    2/31
    Tilly tidies
    £6.39
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 3rd Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Big sigh of relief, eldest child has a place in the local school. We find out this week what day she starts.
    I've packed a bit more, but I need to go food shopping for tonight. We're thinking of doing daily shops as we've been wasting quite a bit of food recently.

Another change of plan, it looks like we'll be doing the big move next weekend (we'll be running out of weekends soon!) so we might be able to sort out the hallway flooring this weekend.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 4th Oct 17, 5:30 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Flooring
    I'm hoping that after this weekend I won't have any more updates about flooring . On the spur of the moment I've decided that we should just buy really cheap laminate for the hallway. That way Mr S can put it down quickly (he knows how to do it, unlike tiling) and we could afford to replace it when it gets badly scratched. Also, cold feet in the morning is no fun. Hopefully we can keep it until the youngest no longer needs a buggy, so the next flooring won't get such a heavy use.

Packing
    Still plodding along with the packing. Mr S takes boxes up daily when he goes to do the flooring. I've not really done a very good job this time as I haven't been writing the contents of the boxes so it's going to be a bit of mayhem on the other side.

Storage
    While packing I've realised there's going to be missing quite a bit of storage in the new house. We're going to have to be quite creative trying to sort that out. We still need to buy wardrobes and possibly bunk beds, as well as the fridge (it's getting a bit urgent now!)

Phone line
    This needs to be sorted soon, we need the Internet once we've moved, and I don't know how long it'll take to set it up.

School
    Still waiting for email confirming start date, so I'm planning on staying home until I get it. Once I do, I think I'm going to start going up to the new house regularly during the day to tend to the garden. Because we haven't moved the furniture yet, I can't start unpacking just yet.

October goals

Dry October
    3/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    3/31
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 4th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Just paid for the mail redirection.
    We need to start informing all the companies of our change of address. It's all the fiddly time consuming stuff I don't want to do! I need to write a list and just spend a morning sorting it out so it's done.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 5th Oct 17, 6:52 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Flooring
    Hopefully Mr S can finish the living room tonight, as the children and I have to spend tomorrow morning at the house (we're viewing the new school that day)

Change of address
    I had to go into town as none of the banks recognised our new address as it's a new build. Mr S is in charge of the utilities, so I haven't had to deal with those.

I had to buy new light bulbs for the old house as 2 upstairs ones blew one after the other one.

School
    We need to buy new uniforms next week, but I need to check if they definitely need the logo, as the logo cardigans are £11 each but I can buy 2 for £8 from the high street, without the logo. I'll see what the other children seem to be wearing.

Internet
    Mr S phoned our current broadband provider who said we could only access fibre optic at the new address, meaning we'd have to pay £40 ish a month instead of the under £20 we pay now. We're going to have to try different providers to see if we can save some money, as well as see if this "fibre only" is true.

October goals
    Dry October
    4/31
    No Fizzy Drinks
    4/31
    I also need to stop snacking. I'm eating a ridiculous amount of food and all unhealthy so that needs to desperately change.
    Tilly tidies
    I've done it but have forgotten the totals so I need to check them. I'll probably have to use the money towards the uniform bits.
    10/17 OP £50
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Oct 17, 7:32 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Primary schools cannot insist on a uniform full stop. However I do think uniforms are good for the 'teamness' of a school, it makes a huge grin difference to behaviour (positively) and everyone does look smart. However (in my experience as a teacher) most children have 1 logo'd jumper for photographs, concerts, class assemblies etc, then plain ones for 'every use'
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 August: £36,411.85 8/100 September: £35,945.66 10/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 5th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    I grew up in a country with no uniform, so for me, I don't see the benefit. I mean, it's not a problem to me, either way, apart from financially, as the logo stuff is more than twice as much as the plain ones, and it's the 3rd set of uniform in just over a year. At the current school, she's got one logo-ed cardigan and the others plain, but the new school seems a bit more insistent on having the logo-ed one in their leaflet, so it'll be interesting to see how it translates in real life.
    We won't be buying the summer dresses until next spring /summer, but we do need to buy more PE kits as she needs a winter one.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 6th Oct 17, 6:25 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Morning! Up early as Mr S needs to drop us off at the new house before work.

School
    We're visiting the school this morning, and should be back on time for eldest to go back to old school this afternoon.

Passport
    As this month is not expensive enough we need to renew eldest's passport, and book the MOT for the car.

Cleaning
    I need to deep clean the freezer before we plug it in. And maybe take the vacuum cleaner as Mr S said the flooring work got quite dusty.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 6th Oct 17, 1:22 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    Wow, eldest starts school this Monday, and we've just signed up youngest to nursery one morning a week. Did I say this month was expensive? That's an understatement!
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 7th Oct 17, 6:02 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    A spendy day yesterday

Appliances
    Fridge and dishwasher bought, to be delivered Monday

School uniform
    Bought a few bits, need to find more this weekend.

Mortgage
    Signed up for online banking so should get that sorted next week. At the moment they've set up the DD with the wrong account so I need to see if we can change that.

Old house
    The estate agents have arranged a viewing next week, so we need to try to remove as many boxes this weekend, so people can actually walk around. It'll take a few trips as our car is rather small.

Flooring
    Living room is almost finished, Mr S has been working on it all week after work. He's ordered some special flooring for the area near the front door, I'm not quite sure what it is, so we'll have that next week.
    10/17 OP £50
    • Silence101
    • By Silence101 7th Oct 17, 7:50 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Silence101
    I've just done our first OP of £50. We probably won't be able to do much more this month, but according to the OP calculator I've just saved £43 in interest! That is crazy really, I can see how addictive it can become!
    10/17 OP £50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

2,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin