Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Artifex
    • By Artifex 2nd Aug 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Artifex
    Small Business Funding Offer
    • 2nd Aug 17, 9:35 PM
    Small Business Funding Offer 2nd Aug 17 at 9:35 PM
    I run my own small Carpentry/Joinery business. Ive recently decided to set myself a workshop in order to start producing fitted furniture. Maybe employ another person to help with production and diversify into a different area.

Over the next 18 months I plan on investing around 9/10K of my own money on various different machines. Im not one for loans so Im fully prepared to save and buy them as and when.

Last week, out of the blue I was contacted by a company called Business Grants & Funding acting on behalf of Tenterden Funding PLC. With the aim of giving small businesses like myself funding in order to expand my business and thus stimulating the economy.

They claim they are government funded and wont be asking for any fee from me, and that the total received is 100% non-repayable. To cut a long story short, they have offered to give me 70% of my 9K if I put up the other 30%. That 70% will be added to a credit card where I will then have to deposit my 30% in order to get access to the total sum.

Am I being taken for a ride here? Something doesnt feel right

p.s. sorry for the ramble :
    Last edited by Artifex; 02-08-2017 at 9:47 PM.
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 2nd Aug 17, 10:53 PM
    • 7,955 Posts
    • 7,190 Thanks
    phill99
    • 2nd Aug 17, 10:53 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 10:53 PM
    There are similar schemes going on in my local council area. There is a lot of money around for small business grants as they are seen as the back bone of the economy especially after the cuts in public sector jobs. So that in itself is fairly legit.

Putting the money on to a CC seems unusual.

Call your local council and ask to speak to some one in Economic Development and ask about small business grants / funding. The money they offer is very legitimate!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • SummerFun
    • By SummerFun 3rd Aug 17, 8:58 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    SummerFun
    • 3rd Aug 17, 8:58 AM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 8:58 AM
    I run my own small Carpentry/Joinery business. Ive recently decided to set myself a workshop in order to start producing fitted furniture. Maybe employ another person to help with production and diversify into a different area.

Over the next 18 months I plan on investing around 9/10K of my own money on various different machines. Im not one for loans so Im fully prepared to save and buy them as and when.

Last week, out of the blue I was contacted by a company called Business Grants & Funding acting on behalf of Tenterden Funding PLC. With the aim of giving small businesses like myself funding in order to expand my business and thus stimulating the economy.

They claim they are government funded and wont be asking for any fee from me, and that the total received is 100% non-repayable. To cut a long story short, they have offered to give me 70% of my 9K if I put up the other 30%. That 70% will be added to a credit card where I will then have to deposit my 30% in order to get access to the total sum.

Am I being taken for a ride here? Something doesnt feel right

p.s. sorry for the ramble :
    Originally posted by Artifex
    Who's name is the credit card in, remembering you state you are "not one for loans"?

If the credit card is not in your name, how will you access the funds???
    What guarantee is there they will not run off with the 30% you deposit onto their credit card???
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 3rd Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    • 13,037 Posts
    • 11,104 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 3rd Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 7:13 PM
    There is a class of scam that looks exactly like this - the 'safe' account/escrow your money goes into is owned/controlled by the scammer who suddenly vanishes. I've even seen whole offshore banks created just for this crime (NZ has a quirk in its banking code allowing private banks that refuse Kiwi business).

Not saying your lot are crooks, but the duck test may tell you whether you trust some random, out of the blue person offering you money in return for blind trust. At least they're not pretending to be princes.
    • spikescot2005
    • By spikescot2005 9th Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    spikescot2005
    • 9th Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    I'm been made the same offer and apparently accepted for the grant.

The process has taken a few weeks and now they are at the stage of sending me documents to sign before setting me up a MasterCard business card to which they will deposit the grant money and I add my 30%.

Did you go ahead with the grant or is this a scam?

Tenterdenfundingplc.co.uk is the web address and offices in London. Telephone numbers are contactable. All seems to check out as being ok but I'm not sure.

Anyone else any thoughts?
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 9th Aug 17, 2:14 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 9th Aug 17, 2:14 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 2:14 PM
    Tenterdenfundingplc.co.uk - website registered on 21 May 2017 & registered to a uk individual called Susan Abrahams.
    I've reported it to Nominet as incorrectly using the UK Individual status for the registration (it allows them to hide their actual address).

No phone numbers listed under contacts.

In my humble opinion - it smells like a scam.
    Last edited by ciderboy2009; 09-08-2017 at 2:27 PM.
    • MikeL44
    • By MikeL44 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MikeL44
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    It's a scam
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    Hello, I work for a business organisation and I can assure you that the process for applying for any form of government funding is rarely as simple as filling out an online form and sending your share of the match funding to a preloaded MasterCard. This is a scam, please don't fall for it.

As a new user I'm not allowed to post links, but if you don't believe me, I have done a little research and the tenterdenfundingplc.co.uk site is a complete rip off of a US genuine recruitment agency called hirelevel.com. Have a look at the Contacts page on both sites and spot the difference!
    Last edited by MikeL44; 09-08-2017 at 5:35 PM.
    • spikescot2005
    • By spikescot2005 9th Aug 17, 11:43 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    spikescot2005
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:43 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:43 PM
    Thanks, will politely tell them where to stick it.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Aug 17, 10:07 AM
    • 15,375 Posts
    • 8,782 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 10th Aug 17, 10:07 AM
    • 10th Aug 17, 10:07 AM
    I'm been made the same offer and apparently accepted for the grant.

The process has taken a few weeks and now they are at the stage of sending me documents to sign before setting me up a MasterCard business card to which they will deposit the grant money and I add my 30%.

Did you go ahead with the grant or is this a scam?

Tenterdenfundingplc.co.uk is the web address and offices in London. Telephone numbers are contactable. All seems to check out as being ok but I'm not sure.

Anyone else any thoughts?
    Originally posted by spikescot2005
    I suspect the reality will be at the last minute you have to deposit your 30% before they are due to deposit their 70%

Does seem like a scam though....

https://pioneers.virginmedia.com/t5/Get-connected/Beware-of-quot-Government-Funding-quot-Grant-Scams-They-Nearly/td-p/8132/page/3
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • kgb26
    • By kgb26 15th Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    kgb26
    Do not touch it with a barge pole!!!
    Nearly fell for this, luckily I am an FSB member and went to check with them first before depositing any cash. Believable, Scary and incredibly slick , genuine looking Mastercard Site too. Horrible, Horrible crime for people trying to run their own businesses.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th Aug 17, 9:07 PM
    • 29,965 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Nearly fell for this, luckily I am an FSB member and went to check with them first before depositing any cash. Believable, Scary and incredibly slick , genuine looking Mastercard Site too. Horrible, Horrible crime for people trying to run their own businesses.
    Originally posted by kgb26
    FSB the Security Service of the Russian Federation.

Lol yes I know what the FSB is, federation of small businesses.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • john charles haydn-boag
    • By john charles haydn-boag 5th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john charles haydn-boag
    I got caught exactly the same because tenterden funding are listed on companies house and the director is susan iris Abraham( who is on face book i did all the checks .). even the police said it was a very large multi national companie that was listed on companies house so it should been cocha . After business mastercard (so it seemed had confirmed that £6300 had been uploaded) I was told by a Colin Whitburn I would lose thefunding if i did not upload £2700 by 11 am that day . Of course i did and the card never appeared. They contacted by email saying recorded delivery on 25th August 2017 before 1pm .. obviously it never happened and at 12pm the took down all the contact numbers and web sites... if anybody else has been scammed contact me there are 2 of us so far I know about.. I would like to get a group together pool our sources and get our money back even if we have to take out a personal charge against Susan Iris Abrahams
    • ozp
    • By ozp 13th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ozp
    I think I have been offered the same thing, in the information they tell you that you will set up the account yourself...Is the company that contacted you based in Woking?
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 14th Sep 17, 12:13 AM
    • 8,670 Posts
    • 24,408 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    I got caught exactly the same because tenterden funding are listed on companies house and the director is susan iris Abraham( who is on face book i did all the checks .). even the police said it was a very large multi national companie that was listed on companies house so it should been cocha . After business mastercard (so it seemed had confirmed that £6300 had been uploaded) I was told by a Colin Whitburn I would lose thefunding if i did not upload £2700 by 11 am that day . Of course i did and the card never appeared. They contacted by email saying recorded delivery on 25th August 2017 before 1pm .. obviously it never happened and at 12pm the took down all the contact numbers and web sites... if anybody else has been scammed contact me there are 2 of us so far I know about.. I would like to get a group together pool our sources and get our money back even if we have to take out a personal charge against Susan Iris Abrahams
    Originally posted by john charles haydn-boag
    The company name they're using may well be genuine. I get the idea though that the website and whoever you've spoken to aren't.

Call your local council and ask to speak to Economic Development. They've always been great when I've had the need to speak to them and can always point you in the direction of other organisations who can help.

You're unlikely to gain a judgement against an individual who is a victim of identity fraud, as I suspect is the case here. A much better idea would be to contact the legitimate company and let them know what is happening.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,163Posts Today

6,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin