Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 2nd Aug 17, 7:19 AM
    • 141Posts
    • 3,723Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Diary no 3 - Still MumblingTaff's Ramblings.....
    • 2nd Aug 17, 7:19 AM
    Diary no 3 - Still MumblingTaff's Ramblings..... 2nd Aug 17 at 7:19 AM
    Hi,
    For those of you that know me and think I've disappeared off the planet again - please don't worry, I haven't!!
    Somehow my original diary thread was mysteriously deleted last Thursday and cannot be reinstated (the forum team have kindly investigated) - they think it's due to users pressing the spam button unnecessarily and then the thread is removed magically.

Anyway, I'll set up a new diary here and ramble on as usual to myself and anyone else that fancies "listening".
    It's a bit annoying as all of my lists and goals were on my old diary but I suppose I can use it as a good opportunity to make some new ones
Page 5
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 2,934 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hurrah for the 2lb, clearly wine and takeaway work
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,915 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Well done on the weightloss, and surviving INSET day 1 with presentations as well! I found out today that I may have to do assembly this year, which scares me somewhat.
    Our kids are back in tomorrow and we hit the ground running. Enjoy day 2.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • louby40
    • By louby40 4th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    louby40
    Happy first day back! We've had Inset too and kids are in tomorrow.

New headteacher - so it was all very strange. Don't know what I think of him yet - time will tell.

Glad to be back into a routine and healthier eating.,
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £50/£600 Car maintenance £50/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £233
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,391
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £109,024 (without mortgage) = £13,633
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 5th Sep 17, 9:03 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Just back from the Val McDermid book reading - an "evening with" type of event. Really enjoyed it, she's very interesting, clever and witty. I met her afterwards and got a book dedicated to my sister - she'll love it
    Cost me £10 to park but worth it.....

INSET day 2 was just as busy as day 1 - first meeting at 7.15 and it continued all day - the kids are back in tomorrow so all hell will break loose for a while and then they'll settle again.

Off to watch Doctor Foster now - the first series was really good, fingers crossed for the second xx
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 5th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    And hello to all the teachers! I didn't realise there was so many of us!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,915 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I love Val McDermid - I'm quite jealous of you.
    Hope today has gone well for you now the kids are back.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • louby40
    • By louby40 6th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    louby40
    I thought Doctor Foster was rubbish. I really enjoyed the first one but this one just seemed so silly. Don't know if I'll be watching the rest.
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £50/£600 Car maintenance £50/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £233
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,391
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £109,024 (without mortgage) = £13,633
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 8th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Well I've survived the first week .... Just!
    I'm knackered - my feet hurt, my back aches and I feel like I've run a marathon each day . It's been really busy but the kids have been great on the whole.
    I have absolutely tons to do this weekend work wise and my parents are coming for the day and night on Sunday before flying off on hols early Monday morning leaving their neurotic dog with me for the week.

I'm popping over to OHs tonight and will probably stay the night - but before going I've just hoovered and dusted the whole house, cleaned the wooden floors and given the kitchen a scrubbing and tidy. Don't want to have to do it in the morning so it's a good job out of the way.
    There's a load of washing on now too so that will dry overnight on the airer, leaving just one to do tomorrow.

Money wise this week, it's just been work and the book event on Tuesday so not too bad - saw OH last night but we just stayed in so no spends there.
    No big plans this weekend apart from Sunday lunch with my parents but dad will probably pay (usually does).

Off for a soak in the bath to pep me up a bit.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 9th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all. It's absolutely horrible here - pouring with rain and cold, I've just put the heating on for an hour for the first time since about June to take the chill off the house
    Stayed at OHs last night - just watched telly and chatted, we were both shattered.

Whilst waiting for the rain to ease off for a dog walk I've done the banking online and checked where I'm up to for the month. All on track so far thankfully.
    I need to go grocery shopping this morning - I have a budget of approx £40 a week for the rest of the month, will do my best to stick to it. I might try Aldi today for a change as I don't need any household things apart from loo roll or any toiletries, just mostly fresh things. The Aldi near me has been closed for a face lift and has just reopened so I'll give it another go.

Other than that I have to settle down to do some work - no rest for the wicked x
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,915 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Pleased that you survived the first week back. It's been a tough one...
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 9th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    You're right, it has been a culture shock!
    At least I don't have to go into school this Saturday - that won't start until nearer Christmas.

Ended up getting an SOS call from OH at the garage - he'd taken his car in for a service and was going to wait but they found something that can't be fixed until 3pm so I had to go to get him and take him home. Took an hour as it was right in the middle of Manchester, in monsoon rains..... Then walked the dog for 20 mins, got soaked through, then did the grocery shopping at tesco as the new Aldi still isn't open. Spent £39.50, so just in budget, had to get bits and pieces for the visitors tomorrow, I'd forgotten about that....
    So it's lunchtime and half the day has already gone.
    Going to have a soak in the bath and then start some work.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 10th Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all - stayed in last night and watched a bit of recorded telly and had an early night. Didn't sleep very well though - lots of funny dreams.
    I did catch up on How to get away with Murder (very good), Cold Feet ( not sure about it) and the new Tin Star (liked this, especially as it's based close to where I used to live in Canada, Tim Roth is very good).

I have loads to do today before the visitors arrive around lunchtime.
    Quick list...

Tidy suits in spare room
    Quick garden tidy - done
    Put dry washing away - done
    Clean conservatory - done
    Dog walk - done
    At least 3 hours school work (will have to do some more after going out for lunch)

Better get started with walking the dog before it starts raining again.
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 10-09-2017 at 8:18 AM.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,915 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Tin Star is on my list of things to watch as well. Pleased that it seems good.
    I had a day off from work yesterday and it was fab - but need to do some this morning.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 16th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    What a week!! I was shattered by the end of it....
    Good news though, OH had a headship interview this week and got it - very proud of him but not sure why he wants to do it - seems like the worst job in the world to me but he's over the moon. We went out last night to celebrate - bit weary today.... Went to see the Smiths tribute band ( paid for the tickets during the summer so no real cost), had a few drinks and then ended up having a curry before getting a taxi home. Completely blew the diet for the day

Talking of diets - went to fat club on Monday and lost 1.5lbs - that won't be happening this week..... 12 lbs lost altogether now in 3 weeks, was hoping to get to a stone by this Monday but that won't happen now with the booze and curry.....oh well, it was worth celebrating.

Checked the banking this morning - all ok, pay day is a week on Friday and so far everything is under control I think.

Going to have a quiet weekend - spending the day with OH from around lunchtime, and then it's work work work tomorrow to catch up as this week has been so hectic.
    Mum and dad arrive home from holiday on Monday and will stay the night before driving home to Wales on Tuesday. I have their neurotic, demanding little dog with me and he's starting to do my head in now....my poor pooch seems fed up with him too.... Just a few more days..

Going to potter about a bit, then have a soak in the bath, then over to OHs.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 17th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Had a really lazy day yesterday with OH - this past week has taken it out of both of us. Feel better today though. Just back from the park with the dogs in the cold drizzle - not nice....

Have a lot to do today, so here's the ever present list to keep me on track...

Grocery shopping- done
    Clean wooden floors - done
    Clean bathrooms - done
    Dust and Hoover - done
    Batch cook something
    Sort out the fridge and freezer - done
    Write shopping list - done
    Mark one set of books - done
    Mark a set of tests - done
    Collate year 10 results - done
    Sort lessons for coming week - done
    Read maths report and prepare questions for meeting tomorrow - done
    Catch up on TinStar - done
    Walk dogs again - done
    2 loads of washing - done
    Tidy back garden - done
    Tidy spare room ready for return of parents - done
    Eyebrows - done
    Nails
    Face mask

Think that's it - it's enough anyway!!
    Will start with getting some washing on and looking at fridge and freezer and write a list ready for tesco to open at 10am.
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 17-09-2017 at 7:08 PM.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 17th Sep 17, 7:13 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Busy day getting the list done - lots of school work and chores. Feel quite organised and ready for the week. Managed to get a 45 min walk with the dogs done between the showers this afternoon too so have had some exercise.
    Spent £34 in tesco, a bit more than anticipated but it did include a pack of tights and some new socks so not all grocery based .
    Going to watch some recorded telly and relax for the evening, having a bit of peace and quiet before my parents fill the house again tomorrow evening
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 24th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Another really madly busy week - literally every minute of the working day filled with review meetings, open evening, after school training and a bit of teaching!!
    Went out on Friday night with everyone from work, drank copious amounts of wine and felt like death warmed up all day yesterday Had a good time though.....I think .....
    Managed to get my hair and roots sorted out yesterday though - £40 but budgeted for.
    As a consequence of doing next to nothing yesterday I have tons to do today but feel ok thankfully. Have already checked the banking, done a load of washing and taken the dog to the park. Popped in to the little tesco on the way back to get groceries for the week - didn't need much so I didn't need to traipse to the big supermarket. £28 spent, £8 of which was washing liquid and conditioner.
    It's payday on Friday and I'll just about get there without spending into the overdraft or contingency fund. I don't have any plans apart from work for this coming week so no big spends anticipated.
    I did go to fat club on Monday and lost another pound so that's 13 lbs in total now, might hit the stone mark this week but the wine might have put pay to that......

Loads to do today so here's the list...
    Dog to the park - done
    Grocery shopping - done
    2 loads of washing - one already done , second one in now
    Cut front lawn - done
    Dust and Hoover house- done
    Clean bathrooms
    Clean wooden floors - done
    Mark one set of books - done half, having a rest
    Do about 3 hours school work - done
    Walk dog again - done
    See OH late afternoon/evening - done
    Sort the bins - done
    Check banking - done

Think that's it - might add to it later.
    Better get cracking .....
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 24-09-2017 at 9:22 PM.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 26th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Well I've made it through to Tuesday - yet another mad day yesterday but today was better and I managed to leave at 4pm - unheard of recently. I had so much to do last night for work today that I couldn't go to fat club so I went to a different meeting close to the park where I walk the dog this evening, miraculously I've lost 2.5lbs
    That's 1 stone 1.5lbs in total in 5 weeks - very happy with that. And to think I almost didn't go......
    About 9 more lbs to target but I can see a real difference now and I'm back into a comfortable size 10 in some shops and a roomy 12 in others.

Lots more work to do tonight but am determined to stop at 9pm to watch Dr Foster so I relax a bit and not have another night of tossing and turning thinking about work. Last night was horrible

Have walked the dog and made a slimming world sort of vegetable egg fried rice thing for tea - quite nice. There's 2 more portions left over so that's a lunch and a tea sorted for later in the week.

Going to have a little soak in the bath and then crack on with work for a couple of hours. 3 more days to go this week.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 30th Sep 17, 7:24 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Thankfully it's Saturday and the manic week is over . Bonus that I've been paid too - my pay rise has come through but I'm not sure that it's right, was more than I expected and I'm a bit nervous that they've made a mistake and will want it back.... Have put what I think is an overpayment (hope not) in a savings account in case it is wrong - don't want to go mad and spend it just in case.
    I've done the usual shuffling of money into different savings accounts and paid all the bills and council tax and budgeted for the month and all seems quite rosy financially. Hope I'm not speaking too soon.....fingers crossed .

Have treated myself to a massage today as my back is really achey, the woman was like a demented sadist !!! It really hurt whilst she was doing it but it feels much better now. £34 for absolute agony!!!
    Also popped to the vet to pick up his tablets and have booked him in to stay with the vet nurse at her home (she does pet sitting) when I'm at a work conference in two weeks time - much better than the kennels at his age and she knows how to do his medication. It will cost £34 for two nights (he'll have to dropped off the evening before) so not too bad for peace of mind. Have transferred the money across to her today to book him in,

OH has gone to Birmingham to see his son today so I'm having a quiet night in (I stayed with him last night) - quite looking forward to doing nothing and watching telly. Have just walked the dog, put some tea in the oven, hoovered and dusted the house, changed the bed and put the washing in, cleaned the wooden floors, watered the plants and tidied the kitchen. Doing the chores tonight will save me doing them tomorrow.

Will need to go to the supermarket tomorrow morning but I have done a meal plan (diet friendly) and written a list so it's just a matter of going to buy the stuff.

Off to have some tea.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 30th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Just while I'm thinking about it, a list of things to do tomorrow .....

Walk dog
    Get cash out
    Grocery shopping
    Mark books
    Write exams
    Start review doc for governors
    Clean bathrooms
    Sunbed
    Batch cook something
    Put dry washing away
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

4,005Users online

Martin's Twitter