Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 523Posts
    • 2,977Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 9
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    A rather spendy day, hair cut and colour for me which was planned and the core texts books DS1 requires for English that school don't provide, which wasn't. Still have others to buy but they are not on the school system yet.

The A&C box came - lots of lovely fresh veg that I am challenging myself to use up. Dinner tonight was jacket potatoes, corn on the cob, sausages, last of the fresh cheese (<<<out of cheese error!!>>>) and/or peppery salad leaves from the box. I also cooked a chicken (freezer stash) so there is cold meat for packed lunch salads. I have three punnets of mushrooms to use on something suitably splendid tomorrow.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 12th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Mmmmm sounds nice. Do we have to book a table?
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    As long as you don't want to eat in the Dining Room of Doom...
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Sep 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2,104 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I used to feel so excited when my veg box arrived. I am jealous. I think I will have to find a way to get it back even if it once a month for now. Enjoy.

Your freezer is like Mary Poppins bag
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,525
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 43,037 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    *Gasps* - no cheese? Oh no! *Lobs large lump of virtual cheddar in Redo's direction to tide her over*

My favourite "use up" for the last of a lamb joint is to cut it into rough cubes and then fry off in a hot pan with Moroccan/Middle Eastern type spices - then I stir it through couscous with some chopped up dried apricots, a tin of chickpeas and whatever veggie bits I have that seem to suit. The lamb gains nice crispy edges and the fat that renders out of it saves using any additional oil in the pan. Very tasty.

I used to like a veg box when we had a local firm doing it but they stopped and the only other one locally now is all "100% organic" - I'm more interested in a cheaper box with stuff that is local than an expensive organic one to be honest. The farm shop were considering starting a scheme a few years back - might need to give them a nudge next time I go in.

Where are the mushrooms being used then? I've got the last of a punnet which will find their way into Frittata tonight I think.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    EH, I like the couscous idea. It was the first time we had had lamb in a while, and neither of us was that keen. I've had a run of tasteless meat from MrM. The byriani thing was edible - enough spice and ginger to make it taste of something.

I'm thinking something along the lines of white beans and saute mushrooms, with garlic and creme fraiche based sauce served over some of the cooked chicken. Broccoli stems (box) with olive oil and lemon as a side.

dia I always like unpacking the veg box too. I need to actually use it all to justify having them again though.

Locally there used to be several schemes, and I tried them all but they all gave up eventually with the exception of the big chains. I find it very expensive given that I wouldn't buy organic at full price.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    bugritmilleniumhandandshrimp my damson jam wasn't as set as I thought last night. Will have to reboil or use it as damson cordial.

2kgs damsons, 1 kg sugar, made 5 jars of rather liquid jam. Maybe I should have added a cooking apple for the pectin.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Sep 17, 11:56 AM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,973 Thanks
    greenbee
    about the jam

My veg box is being delivered today. I forgot to edit it, so no clue what I'm getting. Just hope it's still there when I get home. Which I think will be sometime around 10.30pm. If my flight is on time...

Turns out I had edited it... so sweetcorn, plums, grapefruit, banana, mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes etc. Should have swapped out the carrots.

Have done next week's veg box & recipe box and a hello fresh for when my mum is here.... making the most of the time in the airport lounge
    Last edited by greenbee; 14-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 43,037 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    So some nice jars of damson coulis then Redo?! Might be alright dribbled over ice cream? Otherwise can you tip it all out and boil again with a bit of cooking apple as you were thinking? Your bean and mushroom thing sounds lovely!

Greenbee consider my fingers crossed for the security of your veg box!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I reboiled the jam for 20 minutes, and it's ok now so not a total waste.

Busy couple of days at the paid thing, focussing on the paperwork which is not my thing at all. Still got a headache, but need to crack on with tedious.

Meatballs (Freezer mince), courgettes (box), tomato sauce (stores) pasta (stores), parmesan (tiny last bit) and variations thereof. Me? I'm having cake. Or chocolate. Or cake and chocolate. and Ibuprofen.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 43,037 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Cake cures headaches. Fact. Well, fact-ish. Probably. Maybe eat some and see?

Dinner sounds good - tedious and paperwork less so.

well rescued on the jam front!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,973 Thanks
    greenbee
    Take drugs. Drink coffee. Eat vegetables.

Veg box was there. And milk, eggs, butter, yogurt and bacon so I won't starve before I leave on Tuesday... Lots of sleeping is planned though! Return trip was 25 hours door-to-door with a brief stop in a grotty hotel. Not that much longer than on the way out!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Feeling a bit better this morning - although I will probably have cake induced issues. DS1 saved me from myself by eating the rest of the doughnuts, such a kind supportive boy.

He is cooking again in Monday, I think I need to re-plan my week and food shop after he has had his 'what to cook' lesson on a Thursday or I end up using the co-op. We have to go to local small town after school to the opticians so can pick up the bits in MrL. Oddly enough we are ok for veg

Glad you got back ok Greenbee, and at the least the delivery stops you from really needing to go out. It looked like a hideous journey.

Not at the paid thing today, although I will probably crack and go in on Monday. My inner control freak is starting to fret that everything isn't ready for the transfer date, and I need to double check that I have done everything. Only a couple of weeks left in this post, then I will have to increase tedious to tick things over while I decide what I want to do.

Tedious is at 7.5/10 so that is manageable by tomorrow night. July's payment hit the bank yesterday which helps with motivation. Taxman's cut transferred to my tax saving account, but the rest is sat in the easy access saver for next month when I have no wages as such.

Today I need to focus on doing some cleaning. I think half hour bursts per room in a Flylady style. Might even do the dining table
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 12,218 Posts
    • 215,973 Thanks
    greenbee
    Good luck with the cleaning! Cleaner has been while I was away which makes a huge difference. Today (and the next couple of days) will involve unpacking and laundry and repacking. And starting to pack up downstairs for the builders.

Landscaper hasn't been, which is annoying as he was the one to set the date. Apparently he has a delay on another job. Not my problem...

One good thing about the long journey is tht I was shattered and went to bed when I got in - as a result I'm awake (mostly) and should manage my 10am internal meeting. Client meetings have been cancelled. I slept for 7.5 hours which is equivalent to 2 nights sleep...

It's a bit chilly here, and of course the grass needs mowing... But good to be home.

Can't you make cake from veg to avoid some of the issues? I had appalling food at the airport on Wednesday, but the food on the virgin flight made up for it - probably the best food since leaving their lounge last Friday.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    trapped by dust bunnies under the dining room table

send more cheese urgently, losing the will to live...
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 15th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 18,067 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope you are not captured with the dust for 2 long Redo xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 4,490 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    A crack squad of Nac Mac Feegles has been dispatched with a batch of Wensleydale to your disclosed location...
    Hang tight
    Rescue is on its way
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Sep 17, 8:42 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Bigjobs! Quality signature there US

A good half of the DR floor is cleared and the stuff on the table is there for OH to find a home for it this morning. It isn't as simple as just decluttering, the room was full of things that need a permanent home - tools, bikes, tool box, wood plus a mountain of clean washing . It'll be shifted out to the newly cleared garage today, or put away in the case of the clean clothes.

Time for a progress review:
    • The student loan and emergency fund got cleared using £2.4k of the emergency savings and by having a tight August. £750 has been paid back into the emergency fund, and I hope to add some more at the month end if we don't have any unexpected expenses. Taking part in the Skint September challenge is having its impact.
    • The changes I made have cut £390 per month off the fixed outgoings, and for the next month at least (until my agency job finishes) then that money will be channelled into savings.
    • I closed my S&S ISA once the cashback paid out, and moved it into secure savings. Stops the £100 per month commitment to that too.
    • Remortgage - finances are clearer and the house is a little bit better in terms of a valuation visit. At some point in the next fortnight we need to apply for this. I work better with a deadline
    • Food stores - the freezer has really been utilised but we haven't eaten badly or repetitively which is always the worry. I wont be able to meat shop from home for much longer.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope you are not captured with the dust for 2 long Redo xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thanks - in the end I spent most of the day covered in dust, and fur balls. Its an ancient (ugly, yellow) quarry tile floor and just gathers hair and dirt. felt much better for a bath with the last of the open bottle of decent oil.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 16th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I want to cleaning again now but I have to go out. I must stop reading these diaries.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin