Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 514Posts
    • 2,727Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 3
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 16th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hi redo! You're doing so well, love all your cheesey recipes! I've prob missed it but what is the tedious work you speak of?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Tedious is self employed internet based home working.

There are a few places that do variations of it - Appen, Lionbridge, Leapforce for example. You are not supposed to talk about it so I can't say which one or what, hence the nickname.

I'm on a debate with myself about cheddar in the risotto or try the village co-op where I might be seduced into other (sugared and alcoholic) purchases.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 16th Aug 17, 7:48 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Crikey does sound some what boring, does it pay ok. Pm me if it's easier to talk X

Oooh I'd have just put chedder in the risotto and have on many occasions!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    4 days at home, so tomorrow morning I need a plan and a list to get us ready for a valuation. I really like the idea of a bullet journal but am not sure how if anyone can direct me in the way of a simple fast explanation please?

Missymoo, Nigella does a cheddar and chive risotto that's quite edible from memory,but I don't eat rice anymore so I bow to the opinion of OH who prefers parmesan. I did grate half a pack of cheddar for the boy who doesn't eat so thats clip lock tubbed for the next few days for him.

ETA: I did buy more cheese. I did not buy more sugary junk....
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Aug 17, 9:20 AM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I made some really good fluffy fruit scones last night, something I have been trying to master for years:
    8oz flour, 2 oz spreadable butter, 1oz sugar - whizzed to breadcrumbs, then into a bowl,added handfull of sultanas, stirred, then 150ml milk and a heaped teaspoon of creme fraiche. Little stirring as possible to bring it into a wet dough. Scraped it onto a floured board, patted it down a little and then straight cutter, no twisting to make six thick scones. 11 minutes at 210. They were huge, and really light and fluffy. Meant to take a photo but they all got eaten. So much for freezing the leftovers.

I just need to learn how to make edible chocolate chip muffins now. I've given up on trying after wasting so many ingredients over the years. No idea what I do wrong but they just are not nice.

Plan for today:
    Get some bread rising
    Make a list for the house - things that have to be done to let the valuer in without a blindfold
    VAT return for the dormant business - nothing to pay, just need to do the paperwork
    Slash enough nettles down to see if the plums are ripe yet
    Actually do something with the boys if they want to
    Check if they need new school shoes
    More tedious
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Aug 17, 9:42 AM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 23,026 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    +++Divide by cucumber error+++

Looks like you're managing splendidly despite cheese errors

Hex would be proud!

I dip in and out of the forums but obviously TP fans should be strongly encouraged
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Aug 17, 9:45 AM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 23,026 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    oh and if there are some decent young nettle tops when you go for the plums then they make a wicked replacement for spinach in both pesto and mixed in gnocchi amongst other things Look up the river cottage recipe for pesto with nettles - it's really very easy!
    DFW Nerd #025

• missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 17th Aug 17, 11:03 AM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thank you for the scone recipe redo! That's exactly what I have been after, although no creme freche, will sub for an egg and see what happens! And thanks Mrs Tinks! I might just do that tomorrow, picking nettles and making into tortellini might be good!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Aug 17, 11:55 AM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I think you could just use milk missymoo and save the egg for a meal. The recipe I took the quantities from was just straight milk. I just remembered reading somewhere about adding a teaspoon of yoghurt to scone dough.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Aug 17, 12:03 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Made a start by scrubbing the shower out. Need bleach and a toothbrush on the grout but my hands struggle with that so it'll have to be done in stages. Unless I bought a cheap electric toothbrush. House is damp and mould is a recurring problem. Thick stone walls so no cheap solution.

Cleared part of our bedroom. Must not be suckered into buying magazines again. Found out this week that our library lets me access some online for free anyway so no great hardship. Using the parsniphead inspired 'shopping from stash' approach I found two pairs of blue curtains that can replace the cat damaged ones in the boys bedrooms. From memory they are MrT, 75% off in the sale and then paid for with doubled up clubcard vouchers so I bought spares. Must be five years ago

Also found a battered copy of jocasta innes thrifty decorator, flicking through it has curtain measuring and making instructions so I have put that where I can find it again.

Looked at the cobwebs behind the bed and lost the will to live. Cup of tea, and I need to make myself go back up and deal with it.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Aug 17, 12:08 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    MrsTinks - thanks for the idea. The ones at the back are mature, at least 4 foot, but I bet there are younger patches too.

I have fond memories of Weezl advocating nettles fried in lard. We also made nettle wine once. It was frankly revolting.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 17th Aug 17, 1:47 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    MrsTinks - thanks for the idea. The ones at the back are mature, at least 4 foot, but I bet there are younger patches too.

I have fond memories of Weezl advocating nettles fried in lard. We also made nettle wine once. It was frankly revolting.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Nettle wine sounds as revolting as it obviously tasted! Yes it was weezl that originally brought it to my attention. Will try milk in the scones thank you. Actually have some value ones in the freezer from aaaaaages ago that need using up first! Well done on the scrubbing front!
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Aug 17, 1:55 PM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 23,026 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    You might find the tips on the mature ones are fresh and scrummy... or if you like nettles then give the patch a light trim at the top and new shoots will soon sprout for you to pick hehehe

Might try to do that later with the daughter if I get a chance...

After I finish work LOL
    DFW Nerd #025

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Aug 17, 8:28 AM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I filled the green waste bins (not with nettles) so that's a bit more clearance done. Have a huge list of things to make a start on at the weekend with OH, won't apply for the remortgage till they are done.

Made bolognese (mince from the freezer obviously), pasta, courghetti and grated cheese so everyone had variations on that theme. Made cheese scones because DS1 wanted to try them, didn't add the creme fraiche this time, still light. I think its the really wet dough and minimal handling that does it.

Ordered a SB voucher.

Realised we will run out of cat food this weekend if I don't go shopping. The cats understandably feel this is not negotiable.

Have 4 hours of tedious to do today.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 18th Aug 17, 8:52 AM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    It's nice to have a sorting plan. I need to do some this weekend. It's annoying when you run out of one thing do you have to go shopping, mine is usually milk I run out of, trying to eek it out! Thanks for the advice on the scones, would really like to try making them! Obviously not with the small ones, little hands like to prod and poke and overwork pastry! May make bread with them instead!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Aug 17, 11:02 AM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 215,936 Thanks
    greenbee
    Maybe if the cats didn't get fed they might learn to catch mice?
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Aug 17, 12:02 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    There are four sat looking at me at the moment. They know I haven't bought any food, so they have temporarily abandoned cat chess.

They wouldn't eat mice, they'd just go to cat stealing neighbours who feed them stomach upset inducing cheap crap.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Aug 17, 8:49 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I cracked and went to the farm shop for cat fud. Still better than trailing round a stupid market. Also bought beef joint, lovely ham and lovely discovery apples so probably better if I had gone to the stupid market but never mind. Comes out of the credit card refund.

Took the bicker brothers to the garden centre where I frittered the loyalty vouchers on over priced coffee. One of those no plants garden centres with Lakeland, Works, expensive but lovely cheese etc so a minor miracle that I didn't buy anything for me. DS1 used some of his pocket money on Lakeland soft licorice but that doesn't hit my budget.

Need to do another 40 minutes on tedious so at least that is nearly out of the way.

Huge amount to do over the next two days, finally moving a pile of OHs (heavy ) stuff into his workshop which will free up garage space, which will free up house space. Who knows, by Sunday night I might even have found the hidden bath in the en suite to be...
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 18th Aug 17, 8:54 PM
    • 5,834 Posts
    • 19,783 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Well done on getting cat food, atleast you can stop being stalked by hungry cats now! I quite like garden centre loyalty cards, I make sure I use my coffee each and other month but am really naughty and never buy anything else! I'm sure they love me! I wish my OH would clear the workshop, I can barely get in the garage or the workshop for 'stuff' he so desperately needs to keep hold of!!!!!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 18th Aug 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 35,357 Thanks
    DawnW
    It's nice to have a sorting plan. I need to do some this weekend. It's annoying when you run out of one thing do you have to go shopping, mine is usually milk I run out of, trying to eek it out! Thanks for the advice on the scones, would really like to try making them! Obviously not with the small ones, little hands like to prod and poke and overwork pastry! May make bread with them instead!
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    You can make scones with the little ones - give them a small amount of dough each, about the amount you would use for one proper scone, with small cutters etc to make shapes - I found a couple of small rolling pins at a car boot sale but if you don't have these they can improvise, even just flatten the dough with their hands.
    While you make the rest of the dough into 'adult' scones, they make / cut out their own shapes, which, so long as their hands are clean to start with, you can bake for a few minutes, and they can eat. They will be a bit flat, but they won't care, especially if there is jam

I often make scones this way with my 3 year old grand daughter, they are easy and cheap
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £210.25 / £250
    NSDs for November 10/12

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,804Posts Today

6,675Users online

Martin's Twitter