Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 621Posts
    • 3,510Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 22
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Safe to read hungry types, no food or recipe mentions today...

Payday for me today, and then my hours drop from next week so the next one will be a third lower. I'm focussing on the positive extra time to do stuff rather than the negative income drop.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I'm grateful not to have any of your delicious food described. I'm a bit hungry but I don't eat after 7pm.

Your pay drop will be me next year and just 1 salary coming in so I'm a bit fearful. My drop will be 20%. I'll be watching to see how you adapt and taking notes

Enjoy the rest of your evening
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad the mortgage papers have finally arrived . How much money will it save you per month?

A car pot is definitely essential. All our car expenses come in the autumn too because that's when we acquired the car .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 28th Nov 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,152 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Aw the fur babies sound so cute
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 28th Nov 17, 10:35 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Why does everyone forget the one true rule of cat ownership?
    "You do not own the cat..."
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 8:08 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Why does everyone forget the one true rule of cat ownership?
    "You do not own the cat..."
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Unless it needs the vet! Then they are absolutely 100% mine.

Love TPs cat book, not read that for years.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 2:59 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Food glorious food, all covered in chocolate!
    So freezing cold and a work from home day, followed by my long working day tomorrow. In a rare fit of efficiency this morning I got some stewing beef and some mince out of the freezer. Had to go out and buy F&V this morning given the really poor stuff in L on Monday. MrM still did not have the wonky veg box that Sun Addict mentioned but they did have some good wonky veg offers: £1.10 for 8 peppers (3 yellow, 5 red), £2 for 13 royal gala apples, and £1 for 2.5kg of nice big maris piper potatoes. I also picked up a family pack of mushrooms for £1.50.

The stewing beef will be browned with some chopped onions, covered in stock and left to simmer for a couple of hours. When it is nice and tender I will thicken the sauce, and add some diced carrots, mushrooms and (if I must) dumplings for those who can eat them and than back in for another half an hour or so till the dumplings are cooked. To be served with mashed potatoes (yuck) and more veg. The mince will be used for chilli - padded out with peppers and mushrooms. Thinking about it if I make the chilli and beef in casserole dishes it can all go in the oven and I can make nice jacket potatoes instead, freezing any spare ones whole for another day.

I was also thinking about Christmas food, specifically mincemeat. I have never made it, although I do usually mix extra dried fruit into the stuff in the jars. Maybe something to experiment with this year? Has anybody got a killer recipe they want to share?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Nov 17, 3:18 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 216,222 Thanks
    greenbee
    I think I used either Delia's mincemeat recipe or a Mary Berry Aga one. And added fresh cranberries.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 29th Nov 17, 3:35 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,562 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ahh I just do the supplemented version myself - jar of basic stuff gets dried cranberries, sliced almonds and a dollop of either rum or some form of brandy depending on what's about. Also sometimes some extra mixed peel if there's some left from the christmas cake.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Nov 17, 4:17 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Nearly florentines time Greenbee!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 29th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 216,222 Thanks
    greenbee
    Nearly florentines time Greenbee!
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I still don't have a kitchen so I think you should make some for me...
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 29th Nov 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,958 Posts
    • 40,330 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Truffles? I bought a packet of small bottles of flavoured spirits in Mr L a while ago. Should also go well with homemade fudge.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 30th Nov 17, 8:53 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,830 Thanks
    in need of direction
    My last attempt produced sludge!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 30th Nov 17, 11:26 AM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,562 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ha! Last time I tried making fudge we had a lovely jar of "fudge spread" as a result - mind you it was dangerously nice on toast...maybe I should try again?!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 30th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Try again - I used to struggle with it but now I make the carnation one here substituting generic H&B sourced condensed milk.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 30th Nov 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,958 Posts
    • 40,330 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Using a mix of dark and milk chocolate helps it set. I made a Christmas pudding and brandy version last year, which went down well.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,152 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oops is it my fault the Mr M wonky veg box is out of stock. Too many recommendations - I did the same with the Mr S coffee bags. Should be on commission
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Nov 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wonky veg box sounds good. I will check out my local to see if they have the box in my local
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Anyone looking for condensed milk, MrT has it on offer for £1. My Christmas food stash now contains two tins of condensed milk, one of caramel (also on offer), candied peel, flaked almonds and value chocolate (still 30p in MrM). Florentine, fudge, truffles, white chocolate cheesecake...

I did the fatal thing of going shopping in a spending mood, the day after payday. Happily I went to MrM, MrT, £stretcher and B&M rather than anywhere exciting so the total spend isn't that bad. Bought the boys some thick fluffy fleece blankets in £stretcher as they have both complained about being cold at night this week.

HHoD - you asked about the remortgage. It potentially has quite a big impact - fixed for 3 years, reducing the monthly payment by £85 per month for 3 years, and protects us from what would have been a £40 per month increase from Jan. We also shortened the term from 15 years to 12 years and 3 months which gives you an idea of quite how high our current rate is. The wheels of the legal bit seem to have stalled again but I'm hoping its all sorted for 1st Jan, December payment went out today so actually we will be borrowing £1k less than we asked for which should reduce the monthly payment a little further I think.

No wonky veg boxes, and not much wonky produce at all today but they did have the grapes again at £1.25 for 500g of italian grown 'crimson', rather than £2/400g of USA grown 'crimson' for the normal red grapes. I am trying really hard to actually eat, and to have some vitamins, so these and satsumas are a staple at the moment.

MrM also had their 'roasting beef' at £4.50/kg which was tempting but it is unnamed so could be silverside or brisket and the last beef we had from them was tough and tasteless despite pot roasting. I'd rather pay more and have better beef for roasting. Makes for cheap stewing meat if you cut it up and freeze it I suppose.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 1st Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 1,958 Posts
    • 40,330 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Thank you for pointing out the condensed milk. I need quite a lot to make fudge to give as presents. I think I'll visit Mr M this weekend (the fruit and veg offers sound interesting), although I'll probably not bother with the beef. There's still some gammon in the freezer for Sunday and don't want to stock up just yet.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 10,178 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done on the new mortgage. Saving £85 a month for 3 years is a mega saving.

I don't usually go to Mr M but you do seem to do well there so I will be paying them a visit.

Have a good day Redo.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,958Users online

Martin's Twitter