Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 400Posts
    • 2,060Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 13
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,086 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I have leftover chicken. Now i know, chicken and mushroom soup.

Thank you. I need lots of help with cooking.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £1088/2500 43.52%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Another one here pleased you have shared your soup recipes. Thanks
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    inod, parsniphead and doingitanyway

Aldi super 6 looking good for soups from Thursday

The daft bit is that I make these things and don't eat them myself, but that is nothing new.

Anyway today I roasted a chicken for DS1, and a very small bit of beef so packed lunch meat sorted. Have the beef juices to boost the next soup base. Also made a swedish apple cake, and lots of buns as we had some rather elderly eggs to use up. Did 6 x coffee, walnut and maple, 6 x vanilla with sprinkles, 6 x mocha with vanilla and coffee bean, and 12 x chocolate for DS2. Should keep them going for a few days. Roasted some tomatoes while the oven is on so may use those in a tomato soup tomorrow. And some parsnips, but I ate those. I like parsnips, but not as soup.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Oct 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 26,102 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I live in NI. We don't have aldi but I'm working in Dublin tomorrow so will call in then
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Oct 17, 10:22 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I generally avoid Aldi, too busy for me unless I can get in first thing and then I only buy F&V. MrL is usually gloriously empty and I can whizz round and do a full cupboard shop in 20 minutes. I then do the odd home delivery from the big players - MrW today as they sent me a £20 off £90 so I have stocked up on things like 3 for 2 boy vitamins, on offer tea bags, and cat litter (always the cheapest place with the PYO discount for the brand of preference). They usually turn up with half of what I have ordered but still apply the discount.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    MrW called my bluff and delivered the full order. That's a first! At least we won't need cat litter or tea bags this side of the festivities, and I bought things I need/use at on offer prices plus the pick your own discount so a useful spend.

Ordered some of their essential diced beef cubes, on the pricey side at £4.20/400g but you can add as a pick your own offer to get 20% off, and then buy 3 for £10 so six packs worked out at £14.96 for 2.4kg, so £6.23 per kg, and effectively less another 20% for the overall spend voucher. These will get used for casserole dishes and will be a positive addition given the mild boredom of the current mince/chicken/sausage cycle, given that I don't eat sausages or mince. Must remember to check the MrL price when I am next in.

Might dig the pressure cooker out and put a batch in to cook for later.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 9th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,460 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Now that's smart shopping Redo - well done! I confess that MrW is somewhere I rarely even look for shopping - I think our nearest is too far away for delivery to us although I might be wrong on that, but because it IS that far away we rarely venture there. The exception to this was when MrEH got given a £150 voucher from work for there - although I confess a bottle of whisky for him and a bottle of gin for me did take up a chunk of that!

Our Al's seems to be madly busy at the oddest times - mid way through a friday morning (Which naturally happens to be JUST the time I tend to go in!) for a start, and also midday on a sunday - why?!!! I still prefer it to Lil's though. haven't checked out the upcoming S6 offers yet but "good for soups" generally also means "good for stews" and bearing in mind the time of year that's a good thing!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You've made me think Redo. I do Oca*do but maybe I will try Mr.W for the voucher plus the 20% off is a good deal. Thanks for the headsup
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    DIA, there are usually cashback sign ups, and new customer vouchers but if you sign up for the loyalty card they send an X off Y most quarters. I don't routinely shop there, too far, too expensive usually.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks redo, I do an online shop every few months now but I notice a lot of the online bargains for ova*do are not there. It is getting pricey. I used to get lots of YS bargains in Waitr*se but I will try them online. If there is a referral credit for recommending someone let me know
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Oct 17, 4:12 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Woken several times in the night by the blasted mice scrabbling about in the false wall. I hate those meeces to pieces. They are in the inaccessible bit of the loft so difficult to resolve.

Cold and windy this afternoon. Real CBA hide under a blanket weather but I need to cook, iron, hoover and prep for the morning.

Final payment for the old project, a few hundred more than I was expecting so that was good. I will move it over to the savings before it gets spent for being there. I think fatal to leave it in current account, too easy to fritter it away on coffee and small shiny things. Will take my EF back to over 1k.

Still no work on tedious, good job I am not relying on it at the moment. I feel for those who do, but the joys of being self employed I guess.
    Last edited by redofromstart; 11-10-2017 at 4:14 PM.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 12,164 Posts
    • 215,491 Thanks
    greenbee
    Knock a hole in the wall and stick a cat in it?
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,460 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Always a nice surprise to get paid a bit more than expected! Right there with you on not leaving extra where it might go and fritter itself though - safety first on that one!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    A spending day today.

Puppy has (again!) chewed through the TV aerial cable so more co-ax and adaptors in Wickes. More chews for the dog in an attempt at diversion. Had a look in the hospice shop while I was there, and got 6 x 50p books, hurrah. I have thousands of books but still nothing to read.

Food shopping - far too much spent, with very little to show for it. I've not remotely planned. Hate it when I do that but just been so busy the last few days, and not sleeping well.

DS1 made white chocolate rice crispy cakes this evening (with 30p basics, and value crispies) so he was happy. Sometimes the simplest 'recipes' are the best.

Looks like there will be no work on tedious for a while, so I might need to look at the other home working companies. I need the safety blanket between projects, although I am glad not to be squeezing it around current commitments.

Need to clean house, do lots of washing and think about commitments for next week. Want to just roll over and sleep, so real head down and batter on mode. I refuse to give in to tiredness and lethargy. Stupid fibro.

Positives:
    Remittance advice from Augusts tedious so another decent lump should hit the account in a few days. 20% to go into the tax savings, and the rest into my general business savings for months with no income.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 12,164 Posts
    • 215,491 Thanks
    greenbee
    You need to get some rest. Bath and book while the washing is in? And make sure everyone else helps.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 26,102 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Try ziffit for to cure the so many books but nothing to read?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Oct 17, 10:20 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Try ziffit for to cure the so many books but nothing to read?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    I googled that but am struggling to cope with the mutually exclusive words 'unwanted' and 'books'

I had to lie down and hyper-ventilate for a bit
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 3,957 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I googled that but am struggling to cope with the mutually exclusive words 'unwanted' and 'books'

I had to lie down and hyper-ventilate for a bit
    Originally posted by redofromstart

I know that feeling.

I agree that it's fatal to leave money in your current account, it needs to be hidden safely in a savings account asap before it gets spent
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Busy day so a bit of a CBA meal this evening - delias corned beef hash with freezer veg recipe here

DS1 liked it too which was a win.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Even your CBA meals sound nice
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin