Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 617Posts
    • 3,499Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 12
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hello orange ena, and hairyhandofdartmoor

Crumble slice was so popular that I have had to make some more, and some chocolate buns for DS2 who was feeling rather left out. Roast chicken for dinner only nobody ate much as they are all full of cake.

Soup - Squash, coconut and chipotle chilli
    Three tennis ball sized green squashes from the veg box, hard to cut in half, impossible to peel. Gave up, cut into quarters, sprinkle of oil and roasted skin on till soft (45 minutes) and then left them to cool. Finely chopped two small onions, gentle saute till soft and then added a mean teaspoon of the chilli chipotle flakes (80p/MrM) and gave it another minute before I added the scooped out flesh from the squashes and a small (250ml/4 for £1 B&M) tin of coconut milk. Added a veg stock cube and two empty tins worth of hot water. Simmered for ten minutes and then made it smooth with the hand blender. Made a nice slow heat soup which used up the last thing from the veg box. I will make it again with pumpkin or butternut squash when they are on offer.

Work stuff done, last time sheet ready to hand in. Ran out of time for the ironing though, so will have to do that on top of a challenging day tomorrow.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    redofromstart

Have you gone for your remortgage yet? Your house sounds lovely.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you, and nope. Need to stop working and do some cleaning. The plan was to have a few weeks off to sort the house before I started the next project but you have to take the work when it is there don't you?
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 1st Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 10,616 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It is hard to turn work down. The amount of time our plans have been delayed by work coming in suddenly! Customers spend weeks dithering around and then suddenly make up their minds and want it done yesterday .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 10,160 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the soup sounds yummy
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 5:38 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Yep soup sounds delish!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 2nd Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 43,474 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oh lord - your food sounds AMAZING!!! Another one here who adores anything with coconut!

Brilliant baking tray bargains as well - not at all surprised you went for those when you saw them! You've also reminded me that I must make use of the flan tin I bought a few years back - used it for all sorts of things for a while but have kind of forgotten about it since!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Survived last day of meetings on project one - no food, one coffee. Now drinking all of the coffee in a race against migraine.

Need to do:
    tedious
    final emails, and timesheet for closing project
    sort clean washing and iron uniforms
    make a start on new project stuff so not clueless in the morning

Lazy dinner tonight, RTC steak pie bought on the way home so DS1 happy.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Got round to checking and the jeans I ordered as a long shot actually fit hurrah. The challenges of hate shopping, long body, short legs and chubby knees makes nice fitting jeans a rare and beautiful thing. I must order all of the jeans, once I have stopped twitching from drinking all of the coffee.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Got round to checking and the jeans I ordered as a long shot actually fit hurrah. The challenges of hate shopping, long body, short legs and chubby knees makes nice fitting jeans a rare and beautiful thing. I must order all of the jeans, once I have stopped twitching from drinking all of the coffee.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I have very much the same problem! I am also cursed with a great big bottom and tiny waist so all jeans gape at the back.
    Managed to get sone from primark and they fit alright as have Lycra in which again is a major rarity! I'll join you in the twitching though, have had 4 large coffees today!!!!!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 2nd Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 12,243 Posts
    • 216,167 Thanks
    greenbee
    i think I have the same migraine. Managed to get through the last of my work, get diesel, drive up the motorway, see the dentist and hygenist and drive back. Now having coffee and toast and honey and hoping I'll get to pilates in half an hour but my left eye is hinting this won't happen...
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Poor you Greenbee. Think you need to sleep. Take care of yourself x
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 3rd Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 43,474 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    To my astonishment Matalan's 29" leg skinnies actually fit me - and have the advantage of being super-cheap for jeans too!

Ouchy to migraines - Greenbee you're a lot braver than me driving with one - definitely not something I'll risk! I haven't had one in a decently long while now so vaguely hoping I might finally have "grown out of them" - fingers crossed!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 3rd Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5,275 Posts
    • 18,559 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Ouch to the migraine, hope you feel better soon x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7000.00 Cap 1: £457.35 BC: £5000.00

AFD 0/10 NSD 0/10 LTW 0/10

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 12,243 Posts
    • 216,167 Thanks
    greenbee
    Ouchy to migraines - Greenbee you're a lot braver than me driving with one - definitely not something I'll risk! I haven't had one in a decently long while now so vaguely hoping I might finally have "grown out of them" - fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    It was just starting and I had to get home... I wouldn't do it out of choice...
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I like the matalan 29 inch leg jeans too, but not skinnies - major carrot legs. Last fitting ones were marks expensive straight legs with so much elastic in that I went down two sizes. They of course immediately discontinued them.

Busy day, much travel and talking, delivered same(ish) presentation several times which is a pet hate. Big travel tomorrow too. Resisted costalot coffee on the way home. Got back to the wood burner on, first time this year. Cat has taken up residence in front and has no intention whatsoever of moving.

No work on tedious, good as I am too tired, but glad I am not relying on it which I would have been if I had not taken this project.

A whole 2 cups of coffee again. I should take a flask. And food.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 4th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Sounds like a very busy day Redo. I hope you get to chill out tonight.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 43,474 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I like the matalan 29 inch leg jeans too, but not skinnies - major carrot legs. Last fitting ones were marks expensive straight legs with so much elastic in that I went down two sizes. They of course immediately discontinued them.

Busy day, much travel and talking, delivered same(ish) presentation several times which is a pet hate. Big travel tomorrow too. Resisted costalot coffee on the way home. Got back to the wood burner on, first time this year. Cat has taken up residence in front and has no intention whatsoever of moving.

No work on tedious, good as I am too tired, but glad I am not relying on it which I would have been if I had not taken this project.

A whole 2 cups of coffee again. I should take a flask. And food.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    This is EXACTLY what they did with the lovely Slim Boot ones I used to go for! Fiends! Mind you as a result I did manage to get my last pair from clearance for £5 - although I swear that "short" actually isn't short as they ARE going to need shortening! Bootcut is by far my favoured jeans cut but they're pretty much impossible to get now it seems. And for what it's worth I've spent YEARS saying no way could I wear skinnies as I'd look like I was balanced on top of a pair of over-stuffed sausages but the Matalan ones actually look (&and feel!) fine!

Well done on resisting costalot coffee but yes, you definitely need a flask if you're going to be doing lots of travel!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    redofromstart
    They are inconsistent EH, I should be a short at 29 inches - but same style - black I was a short, blue regular and a size smaller. I prefer boot cuts too but bought straight leg last time.

Food shopping this morning, feeling rather uninspired.

No work on tedious, and not likely to be for at least a few weeks.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Soup da loops:

Mushroom soup

Finely chop a punnet of mushrooms (c300g)and sprinkle with lemon juice. Chop a small onion and saute it in a pan with some oil/butter. Once the onion is soft add the mushrooms, sprinkle with a little ginger, out the lid on and let them sweat for a bit. Add a knob of butter and two teaspoons of plain flour. Give it a minute (stir) then add a pint of hot stock. Mix it in well or you will get lumps. Simmer for ten minutes then season and add 80ml cream (optional but nice). Blend till smooth

Chicken and mushroom soup
    As above but use scraps of roast chicken, and add to the mushroom mix.

French Onion soup
    Peel and slice a kilo of onions - I use the slicer on the food processor
    Melt some butter and oil in a big pan, and add the onions. Add some salt to help them sweat. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2oz plain flour, stir for a minute to cook out the flour. Add 1.5 litres of good beef or chicken stock (eg not one just cube!) and stir. Cover and simmer for half an hour.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,829 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hello, followed you from some other diaries and just at the right time too. I've read from the start but couldn't see an onion soup recipe and yet, here it is. I've switched to SE and, in an effort to avoid bread three times a day. Or developing the cheese habit enjoyed by my sahm sister, I've been turning to soup. That recipe looks doable even for me. Thank you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,536Users online

Martin's Twitter