Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 513Posts
    • 2,859Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 10
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    We were supposed to be out for a walk but its cold and raining. I need to start matching an ikea blue bags worth of socks...
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 16th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,959 Thanks
    greenbee
    Can't you get everyone to help with a game of sock snap and a prize for the winner?

Overslept. Need to do putting away of unpacking and a lot of laundry.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    oh I sorted them all - all holes or too small gone, boys now have at least 30 pairs each in their drawers.

The rain stopped so we went for a walk.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 16th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,959 Thanks
    greenbee
    Had a shower and am now doing laundry. So of course it is raining. Should go for a run. Or at least a walk, but am wildly unmotivated! CBA to do food either.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope you got round to eating. Have you got any decent ping meals in the freezer?

Lots done, and OH went through and found a home for his stuff which was great.

I bought a few packs of RTC chicken thighs yesterday, froze most of them obviously but the pack I kept out I skinned, slashed and marinated in half a jar of jerk paste, lemon juice and veg oil for 7 hours before roasting them. They are rather ouch hot, and will need a cooling dressing. At least he wont complain that they are bland in his packed lunches. I've got a normal chicken out to defrost for Sunday lunch, and I plan to make TOPMs green quiche too

I collected some apples from the garden and found this recipe for apple crumble traybake which I made using bramble jelly and eating apples. V sweet, more like biscuits than cake so you can cut thin fingers. I would increase the apples next time, and maybe use the cookers for more flavour but a keeper of a recipe.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 16th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,959 Thanks
    greenbee
    have enough stuff defrosting to see me through until I leave again on Tuesday morning.

Must go to bed soon as I read until WAY too late last night and then didn't get up till lunchtime. Might have a bath while the sheets are in the TD. No chance of them drying outside anytime soon even if I leave them till tomorrow.

Hope you're managing to fill the freezer with some of the harvest from the garden as well. I think I had about 4 apples this year (not yet ripe) and zero plums. Both trees will be gone this winter, but hopefully the fruit bushes will do something next year and I should have the greenhouse up and running too.

My winter flowering cherry has flowers
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Budget progress:
    Me £29.69/100
    Him £91/200
    Food £209.79/500
    Pets £31
    Household £66.17
    School £31 -more books to buy too

Food is higher than I thought but looking through maybe £10 of it is unnecessary fritter (eg doughnuts). Need to keep an eye on this.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Greenbee the apples aren't quite ripe yet, I've been using the windfalls. Ours are mostly cookers, so I freeze portions of cooked apple but it is dull and painful to peel and chop lots. Local farm animal rescue are appealing for apples so will take some round there as well as having a help yourself box out front. There are 7 eaters this year, and the pears have done nothing at all.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,959 Thanks
    greenbee
    I miss having a freezer full of stewed fruit It made life so easy.

I seem to have developed a cold today, but at least all the laundry is now done. I'm about to have breakfast (put it off for as long as I could - should really have gone for a run first) and then will make a batch of carrot and lentil soup to use up the ancient carrots and some of the onions. Breakfast is currently in the oven - bacon, sweet potato, tomato, mushroom & fennel.

Last week's work bootcamp did me a lot of good so I really need to try to keep up the salad eating and exercise now I'm home. So far it's not exactly going well... I might need to find a local running buddy. Problem is most of my neighbours are SAHMs who don't want to go out early as they run during school hours or elderly...
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,923 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi redo - as you very kindly posted your Fitbit tip on my diary I thought I would toddle over to yours. Have just read through and subscribed. Wow - what lovely food - I don't have any tips to offer on the food front as you are the supreme expert but this might help with the mice since the cats have given up on them:

They don't like peppermint oil ( the mice that is!) - I got this from a book i read last year on cleaning/de-cluttering your home in 30 days. The author suggested you put the drops in her homemade cleaner spray to give it a nice aroma - and apparently it keeps the mice at bay (cockroaches too apparently - handy if you live in a New York tenement!)

Seriously though your budget is going well and congrats on clearing the student loan. It's a lovely feeling to finally tick off a debt

SSG x.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    ooh that's really useful, thanks seasidegal Cat friendly too.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 8,133 Posts
    • 42,875 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You've reminded me that there is a bag of small-ish cooking apples donated by a pal sitting in the larder that need dealing with. Might get those peeled, prepped and cooked tonight I think. See THIS is what I love about MSE - the random helpful reminders about stuff! Don't think they will produce a massive amount of fruit but fingers crossed we'll get a couple of crumble type things out of it.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 19th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I've been cutting down on coffee and have a near permanent headache. V annoying.

Mince 'transformed' into lazy bolognese. The smell is not helping the headache.

Boy1 is cooking tomorrow so I need to work with him on a recipe sheet and prep.
    Boy2 has lost his PE kit. Again.

Tedious ahead of schedule - never happens!
    S/bucks, £5 received and another £5 ordered.
    PA nothing! haven't been about to spot it though.
    Cashback - a whole £3 went to confirmed so claimed.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,959 Thanks
    greenbee
    Cut down more slowly?

I have eaten nearly all of the chocolates the hotel left me
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 19th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 5,545 Posts
    • 17,968 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope your headache eases up soon Redo xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 8,133 Posts
    • 42,875 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ouchy - hope the headache eased. If it's still lingering make sure you're drinking LOTS of water as this really helps when it's due to caffeine withdrawal.

What is the school procedure re boys without PE kits? At my school (yes, many moons ago!) it used to be that you used to have to use kit from the lost property box - and nobody wanted that - in which case will putting him through that torment convince him to a) find said missing kit pronto and b) not lose it again in the future? (Why do I have the feeling that they wouldn't be allowed to do that these days on the grounds of infringing human rights or some such nonsense?!)

It's not just you with Prolific - it's been deathly quiet again this week!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I agree with greenbee. It has to be a slow withdrawal with caffeine although you are probably through the worst of it now anyway. Be gentle with yourself until the headache has gone.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,525
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 21st Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    EH they get a detention, at lunchtime. He doesn't much care, he would rather have a detention than do PE. I'm in for a GCSE options meeting next week and will see what I can find then.

Work is at its peak, which is partly why the headache and lack of coffee. Managed a whole two so far today, against my usual five or six at work.

Tedious 6/10
    Dinner will be Sausages and mash (yuck)
    RTC fruit and veg bought on the way home. Got more RTC mince yesterday, 4 packs into the freezer.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 25th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Busyness continues, with the added complication of a new project starting this week so in the very short term I will have far to much on but I prefer that to refusing this project and then there being nothing for months.

I am regretting not adding my onion soup recipe as now I will be cobbling something together rather than recreating the last one. This time I will write it down.

Also note to self: add the jam and coconut slices.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 25th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 8,133 Posts
    • 42,875 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Busyness continues, with the added complication of a new project starting this week so in the very short term I will have far to much on but I prefer that to refusing this project and then there being nothing for months.

I am regretting not adding my onion soup recipe as now I will be cobbling something together rather than recreating the last one. This time I will write it down.

Also note to self: add the jam and coconut slices
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Not adding them to the soup, I hope?!

Definitely better to have masses on than nothing at all - just remember to cut yourself some slack where you can!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter