Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mfw2016
    • By Mfw2016 31st Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 59Thanks
    Mfw2016
    0 WOW
    Shopping daily or weekly?
    • 31st Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    0 WOW
    Shopping daily or weekly? 31st Jul 17 at 12:51 PM
    Hi

I don't normally post over on this board, so I'm not sure if this has been asked before. Apologies if it has.

Do people shop daily or weekly?
    I live alone and have been shopping daily, but i'm starting to realise that my fresh food is going off before I can use it. However I feel that if I resort to multiple shops per week for fresh, I risk sneaking extras in to my bag.

What do other single people/couples do?

Thanks
Page 2
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Aug 17, 8:11 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,963 Thanks
    JackieO
    I shop about every ten days or so and as yet haven't binned anything Lettuce if you don't have a lettuce keeper can be wrapped in foil and kept at the bottom of the fridge and will certainly keep well I use my freezer for stuff that may go off but as for mushrooms I but a punnet and normally use them up successfully if I think I won't I peel slice and freeze for use in other meals sliced mushrooms are fine in stews,casseroles omelettes etc.I make soups at least once a week and use up veg thats getting past its best.If you don't want to eat the soup straight away then freeze it in pouches (takes up less room in the freezer) I live alone and have done for the past 14 years since losing my OH, but I certainly wouldn't buy food to throw away.Most food lasts very well in the fridge Mushrooms peel and put on kitchen role back into their punnet to stop going slimy . Cabbage or celery also can be wrapped in foil and kept for at least two weeks without going off .I have a small pad by the kettle and as I run out of stuff I will make my shopping list but never bother to go shopping unless there is at least 10 things on there. I do my menu for the week every Sunday morning and have done for the past 50 plus years, only shop with cash and never go shopping when you are hungry save yourself a fortune and I always use a shopping list
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 6th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    • 3,927 Posts
    • 23,786 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Interesting thread. I m not very good at meal planning. I have my shopping delivered plus visit the local store for top up shops. I know I could plan this all better.

• ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 7,143 Posts
    • 13,055 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I live alone - shopping I do when I need stuff. I also bulk buy when things are offer.

My food bills vary from £10-£65 a week. On average, it's £25-30.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I usually shop once a week and top up "just for milk" as my niece still gets through loads - and invariably end up buying YS at the same time

I've had Mum stay with me for the last week and have been nipping our for a few bits here and there, to maintain a good supply on the fridge as it is a rare occasion that I will cook. The food has mysteriously been disappearing though...it turns out my sister has been coming in overnight and helping herself too!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,300Posts Today

9,598Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin