Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,189Posts
    • 3,855Thanks
    MrsSave
    Mrs S, family life and debt
    • 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    Mrs S, family life and debt 30th Jul 17 at 7:22 AM
    This is my 4th diary. I'll link the others in case anyone has absolutely nothing to do and fancies a read!

Diary 1: MrsS is getting serious http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5045594

Diary 2: Debt free before 35 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5286098

Diary 3: A pound stretching maternity
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495440

So, who is Mrs S?

I'm in my mid early 30's and a mum to 2 lovely little boys. My second maternity leave is just coming to an end (sob). I'm a teacher but looking for a career change. I mentioned this career change back in diary 1, but I'm finally doing something about it. I have 2 job interviews next week and I'm still searching and applying for others.

Debt

I guess I wouldn't be starting a new diary if I didn't have any debts. Maternity leave and retraining has meant that the debt we had beforehand has increased. Significantly. I'm gutted, but from the retraining side, I just had to do it. Today, our debts stand at:

Loan: £9,906.30
    Credit Card: £6,480.60

We also have a mortgage of £92,720.52

Excluding the mortgage, our current debt figure is £16,386.90. That's massive.

So what are we doing about it?

Not adding to it any more, that's to start! The problem is that a lot depends on whether I find work quickly. In an ideal world I will be working by September (even if it's something unrelated to what I actually want to do, as we need a second income).

Using YNAB. I've used YNAB for a few years now, and love it. It's so clear in showing how much money we actually have, and splitting it between different pots.

Paying £266.40 towards the loan every month, and around £65-£70 towards the card. The card is a very recent balance transfer, so not 100% sure on exact figures yet, but 1% is the minimum balance. I'm not sure whether to stick with the minimum, or a set amount each month. The set amount won't be much higher than the minimum, but obviously won't decrease every month. Possibly £65 per month. That means we will be paying £331.40 towards our debt each month. At this rate it would take 50 months to clear. 4 years, 2 months.

Budgeting and treats

I allow treats. They're budgeted for. I would fall flat on my face if we weren't allowed our treats. We do have little breaks away sometimes (not abroad, we haven't been abroad since our honeymoon). We save for them, though and pay with the money we have and not add to the debt. We have the odd takeaway and meal out, we have days out. I treat the boys on their birthdays and Christmas. I have this year started paying into Park for Vouchers in time for Christmas. I've budgeted for that every month.

We put money into our car pot each month for the MOT and any extras it needs. Our car is 12 years old, and up until recently hasn't needed anything doing to it. A couple of little things are starting to need changing now so I'm hoping we'll have a few more years before the car get sorted too expensive. I do love my car! It's nothing special, not fancy and was cheap to buy with low mileage (we've had the car about 5 years).

Right, I've probably bored anyone who's reading this enough for a first 'All about me' post.
    YNAB - one of my favourite money saving tools
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S, family life and debt' below:
Page 9
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 6th Oct 17, 6:37 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Friday!! Yay!!

Dh's wages have gone into the bank. I've already checked the accounts and they all seem good. Everything balances. Oh, and we've got enough for chips tonight before the new balance starts tomorrow. We do need to buy batteries and bulbs though. I may do it this evening, or it may be tomorrow afternoon as I need to pop into town then.

Right, is best jump in the shower.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 11th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Fingers crossed that by this time next week the money will be in our account! I'm not 100% sure what day it's arriving but it definitely should be next week. I'm so excited!! I still haven't decided where the savings will go. I need to decide soon!

All the usual bills are flying out, which are all budgeted for. I've got a Work's lunch tomorrow, which will be paid for by the company.

I noticed that the petrol was running low on the car earlier and thought I hadn't filled it for a while. Just checked my statement and it was 3 weeks ago I filled it last. This change of job is great.....I was filling up my car every 5-6 days so probably saving around £80 - £100 a month. I'm earning less, but making large savings!!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 8,165 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Great news that your money will be here next week. l am sure you will make a plan for it (beyond paying loan off).
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 12th Oct 17, 6:43 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I've been awake for over an hour already, but still in bed trying to persuade myself to get up! Everyone else is still asleep!! I've no lunch to prepare today and Dh is taking ds1 to school so no massive rush!! I really need to meal plan for next week today or tomorrow because at the minute I've just a range of meat in my Tesco basket online and no real clue as to what I'm doing with them!!

2 more days and it's the weekend! We're going out for a family meal Saturday night, but that was budgeted for at the start of the month. I hope we come in a little under budget!

I've checked the accounts this morning. The mortgage payment has gone out and everything else looks as it should!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 15th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    This is the week!! Eeeeeek!! Until I can see the money in our account I don't think I'll 100% believe it will be happening. I'm also back to my normal hours at work (thankfully!!).

We went out last night as planned. I took the money we'd budgeted out of the bank as I figured we'd feel more in control than if we spent on the card. We ended up coming home with just over £20 left over. This £20 has disappeared today on a Sunday unplanned trip to the supermarket. I'm pretty ok with that, though, as it could've been spent just as easily last night.

I'm completely shattered tonight and a little delicate seeing lots of baby loss awareness things everywhere. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing that people are so much more able and willing to share and talk about such a sad thing, but seeing it does make me sad about the little baby we lost. I'm not sure if I was posting on here at the time, I have a feeling I was having a break from here. It was very early into the pregnancy, but still hurt so bad. I do know, though, if it had never happened, ds2 wouldn't be here. Confusing emotions.

Right, time for this week. 1. Wait for money! 2. Pay off loan. 3. Plan the rest and put a chunk into saving. 4. Exercise (I really need to up it a little). 5. Continue eating well (I ate very well last week, completely blown it this weekend, though!!) 6. Cut back on alcohol (this is a big one at the moment.......no excuses!!).
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 15th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 8,165 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Exciting week for you then Mrs S. Hope it turns up near the beginning of week.

I have seen lots of baby loss awareness and think it is great that people are now more willing to talk about it and share their stories. I had an early MC more than 30 years ago before we had DD1 and it was a fairly taboo subject then. Like you though if that had not resulted in MC then we would not have DD1 so mixed feelings.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 16th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    What a horrible day weather wise! I'm dreading the school run later on!! A lot of the local schools have closed but ds1's school is still open.

I've restarted surveys trying to make a few extra pounds. I've currently got £4 on Prolific, and had a payout of £2.75 from Opinion Outpost yesterday. I've also received £17 of vouchers through the post today from Tesco. Not bad for a couple of days!

It's nice having my Mondays off again, but I must admit that I haven't done much today. I've vacuumed downstairs and cleaned the kitchen.

The money hasn't arrived in the account yet, though I was being very optimistic checking to see if it was there first thing this morning
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 16th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    A few more surveys done. I'm not far off £10 for the last few days! I probably won't get any for the rest of the week now!

I've checked my bank account a few times today to see if the money has appeared Nothing yet!! I just want to phone the bank to pay off this loan!! It's so exciting!! I'm also so excited about getting a new boiler It will hopefully save us some money with our gas and water bills!

I'm already in bed tonight! I'm all headachy and sinusy (I'm not sure those words will be found in the dictionary!). Overtired I think, so a chill out night in bed, reading diaries here and completing some surveys!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Oct 17, 12:23 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I've decided (I can't sleep, so my mind's working overtime!) that I need to set myself small challenges. This week I'm aiming for:

1. 3 NSD (not going to include any bills/childcare/school dinners).
    2. 3 alcohol free days (AFD) - we're away at the weekend

And for the rest of October I'm aiming to make an extra £40.

So far this week:
    1. NSD - 1/3
    2. AFD - 1/3
    3. £5.25/£40

Not a bad start to the week

Tomorrow I'm going to take it easy. Again. I'm guessing I'll be shattered as I've had a horrible headache/sinus pain since this afternoon, but other than a nap after Dh got home from work haven't been able to sleep. I need to order a cake for ds2's first birthday (we buy handmade ones for 1st birthday, then it's supermarket ones!), I need to drop some keys off at an office where I did a little work, a trip to the bottle bank (haven't been for ages!!), and then numerous checking of bank account! It should be another nsd and will be a AFD.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    No money yet

I was fast asleep when my alarm went off (as well as 15 minutes earlier when ds1 came in to say good morning.......I sent him to his room to read/play with toys! Ds2 is still fast asleep!

I've checked the accounts and all looks normal! I worked out it's payday 2 weeks from today. I have no idea where that time has gone! I'm really hoping that all the money will be in place by payday!

I've completed 1 survey today already. £1.25. Prolific is pretty good at the moment, let's hope it continues!

Right, I don't better dry my hair, get dressed, feed ds2 then get ds1 to school.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Still no money

I went to the bottle bank, but couldn't reach it! We've got a fair coming soon, and a few bits and pieces have already arrived and blocked the bottle bank. I drove to the next town where there is a tip to recycle them there! Haven't been to the cake shop yet, will go this afternoon. DS2 is back in bed, and I'm watching a debt programme on bbc1. Its making me so determined that once we pay off our debts, there is no going back.

I've managed another survey this morning for £2.50. I've got nearly £10 on prolific now. Some waiting to be approved. I'm hoping to pay out once a month, and if I could get £15-£20 I'd be chuffed.

Ive pulled out some thin steaks from the freezer and will cook them up today and put into salads for work. I'm making a roast tonight (we decided against it on Sunday!) so there should be leftover chicken as well!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 17th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 8,165 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    It is like watching paint dry when you are waiting on money coming into your account isn't it Mrs S? My advice would be to stop checking apart from once a day and distract yourself for the rest of the day. Have you not been told when it is being sent?
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 17th Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    MrsSave
    It is like watching paint dry when you are waiting on money coming into your account isn't it Mrs S? My advice would be to stop checking apart from once a day and distract yourself for the rest of the day. Have you not been told when it is being sent?
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    I know

All they've said is this week! Dh reckons it will be Friday as that's a 'normal' day for a pay run type thing! At least I'm at work tomorrow and Thursday so I won't be able to check!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,001Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter