Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,362Posts
    • 4,261Thanks
    MrsSave
    Mrs S, family life and debt
    • 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    Mrs S, family life and debt 30th Jul 17 at 7:22 AM
    This is my 4th diary. I'll link the others in case anyone has absolutely nothing to do and fancies a read!

Diary 1: MrsS is getting serious http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5045594

Diary 2: Debt free before 35 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5286098

Diary 3: A pound stretching maternity
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495440

So, who is Mrs S?

I'm in my mid early 30's and a mum to 2 lovely little boys. My second maternity leave is just coming to an end (sob). I'm a teacher but looking for a career change. I mentioned this career change back in diary 1, but I'm finally doing something about it. I have 2 job interviews next week and I'm still searching and applying for others.

Debt

I guess I wouldn't be starting a new diary if I didn't have any debts. Maternity leave and retraining has meant that the debt we had beforehand has increased. Significantly. I'm gutted, but from the retraining side, I just had to do it. Today, our debts stand at:

Loan: £9,906.30
    Credit Card: £6,480.60

We also have a mortgage of £92,720.52

Excluding the mortgage, our current debt figure is £16,386.90. That's massive.

So what are we doing about it?

Not adding to it any more, that's to start! The problem is that a lot depends on whether I find work quickly. In an ideal world I will be working by September (even if it's something unrelated to what I actually want to do, as we need a second income).

Using YNAB. I've used YNAB for a few years now, and love it. It's so clear in showing how much money we actually have, and splitting it between different pots.

Paying £266.40 towards the loan every month, and around £65-£70 towards the card. The card is a very recent balance transfer, so not 100% sure on exact figures yet, but 1% is the minimum balance. I'm not sure whether to stick with the minimum, or a set amount each month. The set amount won't be much higher than the minimum, but obviously won't decrease every month. Possibly £65 per month. That means we will be paying £331.40 towards our debt each month. At this rate it would take 50 months to clear. 4 years, 2 months.

Budgeting and treats

I allow treats. They're budgeted for. I would fall flat on my face if we weren't allowed our treats. We do have little breaks away sometimes (not abroad, we haven't been abroad since our honeymoon). We save for them, though and pay with the money we have and not add to the debt. We have the odd takeaway and meal out, we have days out. I treat the boys on their birthdays and Christmas. I have this year started paying into Park for Vouchers in time for Christmas. I've budgeted for that every month.

We put money into our car pot each month for the MOT and any extras it needs. Our car is 12 years old, and up until recently hasn't needed anything doing to it. A couple of little things are starting to need changing now so I'm hoping we'll have a few more years before the car get sorted too expensive. I do love my car! It's nothing special, not fancy and was cheap to buy with low mileage (we've had the car about 5 years).

Right, I've probably bored anyone who's reading this enough for a first 'All about me' post.
    YNAB - one of my favourite money saving tools
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S, family life and debt' below:
Page 8
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Aug 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Just typed out a post, and the iPad crashed!

I'm starting to get a little more organised. I've meal planned for the week, so we're starting to eat a little better, and will hopefully save a few pennies. We had homemade burgers tonight, and I made double so I've frozen them which will save a few minutes next time. It's slow cooker chicken casserole tomorrow.

I've found out that I am being paid in my new job tomorrow, which makes September a lot easier. Half a month of maternity was going to be very difficult! I've also set up a standing order going from our wages account to our bills account each month, starting at the end of September. It's the same amount that goes into the bills account each month, so thought it would save 1 job! Once everything settles, we've paid off the loan and know exactly what's coming in each month, I plan to do the same for our spending, personal and savings account. All I'll have to do them is to keep an eye, and make sure we stick to budget!

I've just had the world's biggest actually it was pretty small spider sitting on my foot whilst I was watching tv. I am petrified of them. At least I've burned some calories off dancing around the living room I'm now paranoid that there are dozens of them hiding, watching me, ready to attack as soon as I switch the lights off
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 31st Aug 17, 6:36 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    My pay is in, so that's been transferred to the correct account.

Work today, but I want to get a couple of jobs in:
    • Sort out tonight's dinner (slow cooker chicken casserole),
    • Vacuum downstairs,
    • 1 laundry load,
    • Meal plan for next week.

That's literally it for today, so should manage everything. Right, I'd best jump in the shower and get ready for work!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 31st Aug 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    All but 1 done. I haven't vacuumed downstairs, but I've done 2 loads of washing and I've dusted the whole of upstairs instead. I'm hoping to get the hoover out before work tomorrow, as I'll be home alone from 7:30 until I leave for work.

I was a member of a union with work, but as I've left teaching I cotacted them a couple of days ago stating I wanted to leave. I had an email back the next day stating that my membership would be ending today. That means I should have an extra £5 next month! Fingers crossed!!

Tonight's casserole was really nice (even if I do say so myself ). Tomorrow night it's 'freezer food Friday'!! Nice and easy (and I'm guaranteed that ds1 will clear his plate!!).
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 2nd Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Weekend!!!

Ds1 is back in school next week (where on earth have these last 6 weeks gone??!). I'm taking him for a haircut today, he had new school shoes last week, and I'm refusing to check his uniform......it fitted at the end of the term, he hasn't grown that much over the Summer

We're having a curry tonight. Not quite homemade, but not a takeaway! I'm opening a jar!! We've got the ingredients except for poppadums here, so will pick some up later.

I've been working out this morning how many vouchers we'll be ordering with Park next year. I only started around June/July ish this year, and will be receiving £250 this year (hopefully next month, I've only got 1 more payment to make!). I'm aiming for quite a bit more next year. I think around £550, and anything that's not spent can be used for birthdays during the year. Some of it will be food shopping vouchers, so it's not all for gifts!!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 3rd Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    louby40
    Just caught up with your diary after being on holiday! Great going with your oragnising skills after going back to work.

I'm back at school tomorrow, inset and then kids in Tuesday! 30 Year 1's - oh the joys!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £100/£600 Car maintenance £150/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 DEC £9,993. 25% paid off
    Barclaycard £90
    Car loan £2696 Mortgage £94,992
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £108,044 (without mortgage) = £13,052
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 26th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave

I updated this 4 or 5 days ago, but I either didn't press submit or something went wrong!!

Basically, the last 3 weeks have been rather expensive. The washing machine broke. Ouch! Then, our oven stopped working. Bigger ouch. We don't have a laundrette nearby, so both are essentials.

I mentioned at the time that I had paid for it all on the Tesco cc, and would have to pay the interest on it until the money we are getting is through. Today. I have heard that we are getting the money within the next 3 weeks. That's so amazing. Don't think I'll quite believe it until it's in my account, but wow! Task number 1 will be to pay off the loan, then it's the washing machine and oven. There are a couple of other small household bits that we want to do (well, actually, there are pretty big things, but let's not get carried away!!), we need a new boiler and then the rest will be going into savings.

I'm so looking forward to living each and every month with money in our pockets. Not paying the loan will give us almost £300 a month more. Part of that will go to savings, part will go as personal spending money for me and Dh, then the rest will be in the current account for spending on every day bits. It will be so nice not to be so broke every month.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 1st Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I am utterly exhausted! Ds2 has been battling a cold (or several) since starting nursery. As soon as it starts to clear, he picks up another. This means he's waking several times a night. I'm convinced this is disturbing ds1, as he is waking now too to use the toilet, but shortly after. I struggle to get back to sleep once I've been woken, so getting by on not many hours a night.

I've also had a couple of episodes of strong nausea over the past fortnight. Once it lasted 24 hours, the last time around 12 (and no, I'm not pregnant!!) where I can't stomach looking at food, let alone eating. I'm wondering if it's due to just being tired and run down. Oh, and I've been full time in work for a few weeks. 2 more to go and then I'm back to part time.

Anyway, October 1st today. I've sorted our finances for the month. After bills, savings, petrol money etc have gone out we're left with £120 a week for food and any general spends. Everything that I know will need to go out has been accounted for first (clubs, a planned night out, etc). I've noticed our food bill has jumped up recently, but by looking at the supermarket app it seems a lot of prices have started to creep up. Nappies, formula and a few bits of emergency baby food add up as well (over £20 on baby bits last week!!). I'm hoping to keep food to £70, which gives £50 a week for anything else, unplanned.

Hopefully 2 weeks now until this money is coming. I've started to think about where to save the £5k emergency fund that will hopefully never be touched. I'm not actually anywhere near an answer, need lots more research.

Right, I'm already in bed, an early night for me!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 2nd Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Lunch time at work!! I brought a jacket potato in, which shrivelled up after being cooked!! Trying to be relatively healthy!!

I feel much more with it today, after an early night. Ds2 seems to be worse today, though, so DH has made an appointment to take him to the doctor this afternoon.

I'm getting lots of good suggestions on the savings page about the money. Have a couple of ideas now, that I'm going to research a little further.

Lots of bills have gone out today, including my last Park christmas savings payment for this Christmas. I should get the vouchers in a couple of weeks and then I'll book a day off for me and dh to go shopping when we have childcare for both boys. I need to decide what vouchers and how many we'll be getting for christmas 2018 now, and sign up for that.

Right, back to work in a few minutes. I definitely need to be updating this thread more often as I generally am far more in control when I do!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 2nd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Do you get any bonus' for saving with Park?
    At the moment I put aside money for Christmas every month, and I'm very disciplined not to dip into the money I save, but would be tempted to do Park if they paid some form of interest.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 2nd Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Do you get any bonus' for saving with Park?
    At the moment I put aside money for Christmas every month, and I'm very disciplined not to dip into the money I save, but would be tempted to do Park if they paid some form of interest.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    I think you do, but it depends on how much you save. I don't save enough for any reward. If you go on to their web page and search 'commission' it will bring up the information. Well done for being disciplined. My problem with saving throughout the year was that I was buying throughout the year. Sounds great, but I'd then see some things a month or so before Christmas and 'have' to buy them as well. Ended up spending more than I intended, and ds1 has always had far too much. I'm hoping this year that I'll be more disciplined with how much I'll be buying!!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 2nd Oct 17, 11:07 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    We ate salmon this evening. It's one of my favourite meals. I usually buy the fillets from the fish counter (the garlic and herb ones - they're delicious!) but they cost a fortune. I looked at buying 3, one each for me and Dh, and then one for the boys to share. It came to over £7. Instead I bought half a side. It was around the same price, but half of it is now in the freezer for another night. Perfect!

Ds2 has a chest infection. He's got antibiotics so I hope they kick in soon. He hasn't been crying or whinging, just super quiet. Totally out of character for him. He's lost his voice as well, which sounds so strange and almost sad when he does his baby chat. He's eating brilliantly, though. Loved his salmon tonight!!

Sat down earlier with Dh and we decided how much we're going to put away for Christmas 2018. Over the year we'll be saving £550. That will cover Christmas for both boys, ds2's birthday (December), Christmas and birthdays for nieces and nephews, and possibly even ds1's birthday. There will also be a small amount of that for Christmas food - in voucher form, not their hampers. The hampers seem sooo expensive.

Right, time for sleep before another busy day started work tomorrow.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 3rd Oct 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Where are these days flying to?? The positive about them going so fast is that the money should be in soon!!

Ds2 is still unwell. He's working his way through his antibiotics and having plenty of cuddles.

I updated the apps on my phone earlier (don't do it often enough!) and the ynab update is fab! I can now do so much more on ynab using the app, and it means I won't need to go on the computer as often with it. I don't think you can reconcile on it, but you can do most other bits!

Very low spend week (so far!). Other than dinner money, fruit money and the usual bills, we haven't spent anything. Don't have time to spend when we're working all day If we carry on like this for the rest of the week, we will be able to have a chippy tea Friday night! Dh and ds1 will be very happy!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 3rd Oct 17, 10:59 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Are you on the 'new' YNAB or classic?
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 4th Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Are you on the 'new' YNAB or classic?
    I use the new one. I used the classic for a few years, but somehow or other lost everything a few months back! No idea how I managed it, but I just couldn't find a way to get it back. I couldn't live without it, so decided to fork out it for the new one.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 4th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    £5 cash spent today. I popped to the shop on the way to work and picked up a couple of lucozade bottles (thought the sugar would help!!), a punnet of strawberries (healthy work snacking at my desk) and a packet of biscuits (not so healthy work snacking!!). It's unbelievable how fast money can disappear!!

I've been given the bill for ds1's after school club today, so have written the cheque for that. Ds2 is still unwell, so Dh took the day off to look after him. One of the joys of nursery.....paying when they're off sick!

I've done our meal planning for next week and the Tesco online shop is done ready for saturday's delivery. I'm sure I mentioned this recently, but I'm sure that food prices are rocketing. It's so expensive!!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 4th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I use the new one. I used the classic for a few years, but somehow or other lost everything a few months back! No idea how I managed it, but I just couldn't find a way to get it back. I couldn't live without it, so decided to fork out it for the new one.
    Originally posted by MrsSave
    I'm increasingly having issues with the classic app on my phone, sometimes it doesn't take an update from the iPad app, but takes later changes, today the iPad app isn't taking the updates from the phone app so I can't Tilley tidy. Maybe upgrading to new ynab will have to be my 'I've got a new job' treat to myself. Boy, I know how to live!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 4th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I'm increasingly having issues with the classic app on my phone, sometimes it doesn't take an update from the iPad app, but takes later changes, today the iPad app isn't taking the updates from the phone app so I can't Tilley tidy. Maybe upgrading to new ynab will have to be my 'I've got a new job' treat to myself. Boy, I know how to live!

I couldn't believe how excited I got at the updated app yesterday! This money saving is taking over our lives!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 5th Oct 17, 6:02 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I'm awake super early this morning. No idea why, but I'll be tired later!!

I've checked the banks accounts and YNAB and everything's up to date there. We should be getting this money in less than 2 weeks now. I'm so ridiculously excited. My loan payment has gone out today, and other than paying it off I'm hoping it will be the last one ever!

We've still got around £20 to last until tomorrow night (trying weekly budgeting, starting on a Saturday). Unless we spend today (nothing we need), we should be able to have our chippy tea tomorrow night, that costs around £6 for us.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 5th Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Lunchtime. I'm all alone in the office today, so it's lunch with one ear listening out for the phone. My early start is starting to catch up with me. I'm super ready for the weekend (not that it generally brings any extra sleep!!). Typically ds1 slept until I woke him at quarter to 8 this morning (dh took ds2 to mil for the day). What's the betting that Saturday morning he'll be awake at 6:30??!!

No money updates, just needed someone to talk to it's very quiet being the only one here!! Right, back to it......3 hours until home time!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 5th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I was about to celebrate a nsd, then I remembered....ds1 brought home the school photo proof. That's a small fortune spent there! I think it's easier to spend online that it is walking into a shop. It's so easy to do, and I easily do it without thinking.

Right, I'm totally shattered tonight so time for bed. Night!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin