Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,363Posts
    • 4,262Thanks
    MrsSave
    Mrs S, family life and debt
    • 30th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    Mrs S, family life and debt 30th Jul 17 at 7:22 AM
    This is my 4th diary. I'll link the others in case anyone has absolutely nothing to do and fancies a read!

Diary 1: MrsS is getting serious http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5045594

Diary 2: Debt free before 35 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5286098

Diary 3: A pound stretching maternity
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495440

So, who is Mrs S?

I'm in my mid early 30's and a mum to 2 lovely little boys. My second maternity leave is just coming to an end (sob). I'm a teacher but looking for a career change. I mentioned this career change back in diary 1, but I'm finally doing something about it. I have 2 job interviews next week and I'm still searching and applying for others.

Debt

I guess I wouldn't be starting a new diary if I didn't have any debts. Maternity leave and retraining has meant that the debt we had beforehand has increased. Significantly. I'm gutted, but from the retraining side, I just had to do it. Today, our debts stand at:

Loan: £9,906.30
    Credit Card: £6,480.60

We also have a mortgage of £92,720.52

Excluding the mortgage, our current debt figure is £16,386.90. That's massive.

So what are we doing about it?

Not adding to it any more, that's to start! The problem is that a lot depends on whether I find work quickly. In an ideal world I will be working by September (even if it's something unrelated to what I actually want to do, as we need a second income).

Using YNAB. I've used YNAB for a few years now, and love it. It's so clear in showing how much money we actually have, and splitting it between different pots.

Paying £266.40 towards the loan every month, and around £65-£70 towards the card. The card is a very recent balance transfer, so not 100% sure on exact figures yet, but 1% is the minimum balance. I'm not sure whether to stick with the minimum, or a set amount each month. The set amount won't be much higher than the minimum, but obviously won't decrease every month. Possibly £65 per month. That means we will be paying £331.40 towards our debt each month. At this rate it would take 50 months to clear. 4 years, 2 months.

Budgeting and treats

I allow treats. They're budgeted for. I would fall flat on my face if we weren't allowed our treats. We do have little breaks away sometimes (not abroad, we haven't been abroad since our honeymoon). We save for them, though and pay with the money we have and not add to the debt. We have the odd takeaway and meal out, we have days out. I treat the boys on their birthdays and Christmas. I have this year started paying into Park for Vouchers in time for Christmas. I've budgeted for that every month.

We put money into our car pot each month for the MOT and any extras it needs. Our car is 12 years old, and up until recently hasn't needed anything doing to it. A couple of little things are starting to need changing now so I'm hoping we'll have a few more years before the car get sorted too expensive. I do love my car! It's nothing special, not fancy and was cheap to buy with low mileage (we've had the car about 5 years).

Right, I've probably bored anyone who's reading this enough for a first 'All about me' post.
    YNAB - one of my favourite money saving tools
    Check out my debt free diary 'Mrs S, family life and debt' below:
Page 16
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 25th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Full of cold today, and my throat is still being a nuisance! Paracetamol is my new friend!!

Tesco has been delivered, which cost £63.45. I've added up our food spends for November (there may be a small top up this week, but it won't be much) and we've spend a total of £293.96 Still big, but far less than last month, and under budget. £263.12 was our weekly shops, and £30.84 in top ups.

Ds1 was supposed to be rugby training this morning, but it has been cancelled so we're getting a refund to our account. The refund amount is the exact same amount as the cost of the show that ds1 brought a letter home for yesterday!! Once the rugby money is in, and the trip money is out we've got £41 left for this week, and £31 left in our leftover pot. This week could be expensive though, as ds1 brought home a letter saying he will be needing a costume for their nativity (though didn't explain what!), there will no doubt be tickets going on sale for their nativity this week, and ds2 is having his picture taken at nursery.

We're going out for lunch today as there's are Christmas activities on in town. I've budgeted for this separately.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 26th Nov 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Still selling rough, sinusitis has kicked in. I end up with it every time I catch a cold. Annoying and ouch!! Dh is in charge of the boys today so I've spent a lot of the morning in bed.

I've managed to book a Christmas food delivery slot. It's the same slot we have every week, first thing Saturday morning. I've also started to sort what food we're going to need for ds2's birthday party. We've got a busy month ahead.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 26th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5,632 Posts
    • 18,558 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope you're feeling a bit better this evening MrsS xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 27th Nov 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Hope you're feeling a bit better this evening MrsS xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thank you
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 27th Nov 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I was naughty last night and had an unplanned Chinese. Didn't feel like cooking, and it doesn't take much to persuade Dh. The positive is that I really enjoyed it and we had money in the account for it so no borrowing, moving or scraping together money. We've got just over £25 for this week now (and almost £40 in the leftover pot) which should be fine. As long as there are no more unexpected spends.

I've checked the accounts and ynab this morning. No big changes there as there aren't usually weekend updates. I can't remember if I mentioned that the new boiler has been paid - lots of money gone!!

I'm still not feeling great and had a rubbish night sleep. Ds2 also had a rubbish night but is seeming ok today so either he's going to come down with something, is teething or just didn't fancy sleep!

I have no plans at all today other than to do nothing! Oh, I do need to pay the Tesco credit card off, but that a 2 minute job.
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 27th Nov 17, 1:02 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hope you feel better soon x
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc £49,987- family £37,561: total debt £87549

Current debt: Cc £47, 520 , Family £ 37,288 total debt £84,808
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 27th Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Thank you Debtaghh.

Today I have managed 2 sleeps and paying off the Tesco cc. What a productive day I thought I was feeling a little better, but have just taken more paracetamol as everything's starting to hurt again. Fingers crossed a good night sleep tonight will sort me out!!

My next job is next week's food plan. I feel we're eating the same old each week, so I want to jazz it up a little.

The money from the cancelled rugby session is in the account. I've discovered the ds1 is a shepherd in the Christmas nativity so with all my sewing skills I've managed to find a outfit online I've ordered 2 as I'm not sure what size so 1 will be sent back.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 28th Nov 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Good morning. I've d actually had a decent night sleep, and though I'm still in bed haven't moved I'm feeling a little better. I have a small feeling that I may have lost my voice (haven't spoken with anyone yet ) but that I can cope with!!

Today's plans are laundry and to push the hoover around. We're planning on putting the decorations up next weekend so need a good sort out and tidy up beforehand. I may start on that today. Though after the school run I may just collapse once ds2 has his nap and have a snooze myself

I've checked the accounts, and the Tesco credit card is looking good as the last statement has been paid!! Everything else is looking good. Payday in 2 days so that will show in tomorrow's pending transactions
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 28th Nov 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I was right about my voice - but it is almost back to normal already

I've started working on ds2's meal plans as he's almost 12 months. He's still drinking quite a lot of formula (had 2 bottles today already) so I'm going to start giving him cows milk during the day, and keep the formula for the morning and bedtime bottle for a little while longer (until the formula we have runs out - almost 2 full tubs). I've decided I need to add more snacks to his day (poor thing only has snacks when we're out - not at home, but that's because he has a bottle instead!). This is going to save us sooooo much money. Between £40 and £50 a month. I have been quite reluctant to do it because I don't want him to grow up He's not my baby anymore, is moving at some ridiculous pace into toddlerhood. Oh well, big girl pants on and next stage ahead!

I'm hoping that this will bring next month's food shop down a little (though Christmas is there to boost it back up again!).

I've had my water bill this morning, and our direct debit is going up by £20 per month Our usage has increased drastically since ds2 was born. We need to start really looking at reducing it somehow. I need to look at the washing machine settings as I do everything on the same 40 degree wash (don't have a 30 degree setting on this one), but with lots of different settings surely some of our things can be done a lot quicker/lower temp.

The only bath is the kids Sunday one - and they share it. The rest of the week they both have a shower (also together!). I shower every day, and dh showers 3 or 4 times a week. I'm wondering whether the new boiler will help.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 28th Nov 17, 5:56 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Snacks for small are my biggest downfall, I've just had to suck it up. (Everything else seems to be full of sugar and or salt)
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 28th Nov 17, 10:09 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    What an afternoon!!! I picked ds1 up from school, and he was sick on the way to the car a lot!!! I didn't have anything on me to attempt any sort of clean up, ds1 was covered, so I just took him home and phoned the school to let them know it had happened. I didn't even have my mobile to call the office (the car park is a bit of a walk away and not visible from the school doors). He seems ok tonight and very happy that he now has a couple of days off school It also means I'm taking time off work - holidays being used up. Ds2 is at nursery tomorrow, so me and ds1 are planning a very lazy, pj and film day.

I do wonder sometimes if someone I knew was to read this would they pick out it was me!!!

Tomorrow my pay will show in my pending transactions, so I know exactly how much I'm getting. I think it should be a little higher than last month, but I'll wait to see!!! Pay day has actually come around very fast this month!! My next one will be New Years Eve
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 29th Nov 17, 5:02 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    What a night!! Ds1 has been up sick every hour since 11pm. Poor little thing. I've managed to check my pending transactions as I haven't managed to get back to sleep since last time. Pay day tomorrow

Once I get up I'll prepare our December budget. Other than that my only plans for tomorrow are to be on cuddle duty all day. It's so horrible seeing your children poorly
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 29th Nov 17, 6:16 AM
    • 871 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hope your ds gets better soon. There is a sickness bug going around where we live.
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc £49,987- family £37,561: total debt £87549

Current debt: Cc £47, 520 , Family £ 37,288 total debt £84,808
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 29th Nov 17, 7:20 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Mrs S, you have my sympathy. Not pleasant for either of you. Cuddles on the sofa sounds like a good plan, but also a return to the days of 'sleep when they sleep'
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 29th Nov 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Thank you both. We haven't even reached the sofa! He's got into bed with me and we're now on our second film. He's barely moved, other than to be sick! Poor little thing He's such an active boy usually, it's strange seeing him so quiet and still. Poor little thing.

I haven't looked at finances yet, can't see me doing much today at all.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 29th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    He stayed in our bed until almost 5:30pm. He has never, ever done that before. 2 films, CBeebies and a 3 hour sleep. Whilst he was asleep Talk Talk crashed all over the UK apparently. Our aerial doesn't work for some reason so at the time I had now tv on (yes, it was still on CBeebies despite him being well into his nap!!) and I was browsing the web, updating the food shop, and reading posts here. That leftover me with no tv at all and having to use the 3G on my phone (it's being updated to 4g with a load more internet (data??) in a fortnight). I'm hoping it means I don't go over and have to pay extra.

After waking ds1 ate a few breadsticks had some water, watched a bit more tv, turned down dinner and went back to bed. It's horrible seeing him poorly. I'm also wondering how many days it will take for me to start with it. I've tried to be super hygienic, have used a ridiculous amount of soap today and washed his clothes, pjs and bed clothes on a high temp, but surely being so close with him all day the odds are not in my favour. At least this weekend is a quiet one!!

Dh has taken tomorrow off to look after ds1. Ds2 usually goes to mil on a Thursday, so that's still happening but I thought it would be better for ds1 to be home, to have the full attention and be able to rest without his little brother being noisy, and also it reduces the time they spend together so hoping ds2 won't catch it. Fingers crossed.

Payday tomorrow Will need to move money around either before or after work as a lot of bills will be going out on Friday. Right, I'm going to have a quick catch up on some diaries and then an early-ish night.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Nov 17, 6:44 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    Payday

I'm going to transfer the money to the accounts this morning before work (as long as I get a shift on!!!).

Ds1 has slept through (and is still asleep). I'm hoping this means he is well and truly on the mend. Horrible seeing him so poorly.

Right, time to get moving!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Nov 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I've moved money around so that we're ready for December. I've come to the conclusion that November was expensive!! I'm hoping that the majority of the Christmas expense is done and that December won't be as bad. I try to see if there is any spare spending money left over at the end of the month, but it has all gone this month. It's there to be spent, and if there's anything left over then it's a bonus. At least I'm not spending what isn't there in the first place!

Looking at YNAB reports, if I ignore the boiler money, we actually have almost £250 more now than at the end of October. I'm hoping that we'll be able to build on that each month.

Ds1 is definitely on the mend. He's not eating properly but has so much more energy. I needed to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home so bought a Swashbuckle magazine for him to cheer him up. I don't usually buy children's magazines (have you seen the prices of them???!!!) but he definitely deserved it, and has been working his way through all the games in it since I got home. He's only just put it down to go up to bed!

I can't believe that it's actually December tomorrow! November completely flew by! I need to think of some December targets. I'll pop them in the next post.
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    I've just noticed it was exactly 12 hours between my last 2 posts I know, I know - small things!!
    • MrsSave
    • By MrsSave 30th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 4,262 Thanks
    MrsSave
    December Goals

* To be able to increase savings by £21.32 (makes it up to a nice round number) - £120 has already been allocated for December,
    * Food shopping target for the first 3 weeks - £200,
    * Survey target - £10,
    * Meal plan every week,
    * Decrease the amount of baby jars we buy.

I'll be adding to this as I think of more!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter