Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 29th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 494Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Looking to have a simpler life .......
    • 29th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    Looking to have a simpler life ....... 29th Jul 17 at 9:51 PM
    Hello you lovely lot!!
    It's been yeeeeears since Ive been on the forums ..so much so that I've forgotten my old username!!

Anyway, new start! ....

So I've been playing around with MF dreaming for a few years now but really knuckled down when it came to thinking about our re-mortgage plans at the end of 2017...the first aim is to save up £5000 to be able to get a better LTV for the remortgage by the 31st December!

In terms of household there is me, hubby and a few pets but no sprockets yet . We live in a gorgeous part of the county and are busy DIY ing to get the house and garden finished ( long term project this one!!)

Both of us have fairly well paid but stressful jobs , redundancy and cuts forever threatening and keeping us doing more with less..and to be honest , a big part of my mortgage free goal is to have a simpler ( or self-directed) work life balance . I love the idea of doing something self employed/part time or working from home....have not had time or head space to figure that out yet , so thus far , efforts have been to pay off the mortgage !!!

Goal for the summer is cutting down on unecessary food spends, may do some business plotting but I think that is for later down the line!! Also money saving on transport ...commute into the next major city to us weekly and saving time ( but not money) on the journey so far. There is a possibility of cheaper journey ( but would look at an almost 2 hr commute ..it's an hr and half at the mo!) £15 savings each time.....

Will figure out our basic budget when I have a chance soon! And have a read through others plastic for some inspiration!

Looking forward to getting stuck in

Downshifter Ella xx
    MF planning for the simple life
Page 3
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 24th Sep 17, 7:46 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Happy Sunday everyone! Hope all in MF land have had a restful weekend

Sitting here with proper back-to-school Sunday night feeling ....I don't dislike my job totally at the mo, just think I could do with a bit of a break/slower pace for a while! Still..... Hoping this will be good motivation for a frugal week to free up those opportunities for the future going forward.

Not spent a thing this weekend which I'm v impressed with...didn't lock ourselves in like hermits either ! had various social gatherings which we bought food and drink to from what we already have in the house so feeling pleased with that little achievement!

Decluttering quite a bit at the mo but taking to charity as feeling a tidier house outweighs time and effort for eBay ( I'm really not convinced it would sell well either!)

Get paid this week with new pay adjustment , feel like a kid at Xmas seeing how much in pay packet that actually works outdated. All will be going into the OP/ remortgage pot!

Food spends slightly curtailed/under control with more meals planned so feeling positive can make some savings in this direction!

On a Sunday note, off to make a cuppa and catch up on Strictly from last night ....on the exciting life I lead!!
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 1st Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Another week, another 7 days of moneysaving efforts!

In this week's news

Payday money shuffle completed . Remortgage pot now staying safe at £1200/£5000 with 4 more paydays to go....could be a bit tight, but then again, love a challenge!

Gas/Electronic both in credit after a switch so £250 + should Wing it's way back at some stage.

Eaten solely out of fridge/freezer/cupboards this week without any good top up shops!

Found a couple things to add to eBay/selling pile !

That's about it for this week, am off for a run before the forecast rain heads in, then v exciting plans of a bit of decluttering Vs some sofa and tv time with the hubs
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 29th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Oh dear, poor old neglected diary!! Haven't been on here for nearly a month!
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 29th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    But have still been plodding away and trying to be moneysaving!done a lot of shopping and going out with vouchers and a low spend weekend staying with friends in a little cottage belonging to one of thier work colleagues. Just what the Dr ordered lots of walks, good home cooked food and fresh air to blow the cobwebs away!

Sticking to trying to limit food spending too.... Lots of batch cooking started and planned now the weather is colder!

In exciting news looks like we will hit the target of sub 100k remortgage ( my new aim is 95k never satisfied! ) am really pleased with that....tho do have Christmas ( can I say that yet or is it too early? ) to get through first!

Hope everyone is doing well will catch up on diaries andnews this week for sure!
    X
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 29th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 7,537 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Welcome back Ella

PP xx
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 30th Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Well done on breaking into 5 figures!

£18,438/£42,500
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 28th Dec 17, 9:24 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Hello MF land and poor old neglected diary...

Haven't fallen off the wagon completely tho! Having slightly overdone the spending over Christmas ( but hey if you can't at Christmas when can you! ) I do need to do a few sums this week...

That being said , by my estimate we will be edging to under a £97k mortgage when the time comes!!

Feeling proper pleased with that!! Even more excitement in the pipeline as my sis ( who lives around an hour away) is expecting her first lil one! Am super excited and wanting to get a work life balance that means I'm available physically and otherwise when needed! ( Also...totally expecting to bankrupt myself once bubba is here!)

Gonna do a money round up over the next few days , thinking of some big changes career wise in the next 18 months but would need some serious savings and planning going on...

For now, finishing off the Xmas leftovers ( enough for tomorrow too!) And managed an online shop with £10 off vouchers and no wine/treats ( won't need to buy chocolate/,biscuits for whole of 2018 after Christmas!) . Seeing how little we can spend this month!

Hope everyone has had a very very merry festive season!
    X
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 28th Dec 17, 9:50 PM
    • 28,346 Posts
    • 157,826 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello Ella

I'm glad you've enjoyed Christmas, and how lovely that your sister's having a baby - please don't bankrupt yourself for the baby, though, babies don't know about money, just smiles and warmth

You've done well on the overpayments, haven't you! Congratulations on that, it gives you so much power, so many alternatives.
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 28th Dec 17, 10:09 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 7,537 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Yey Ella's back.

Fantastic mortgage total and even more fantastic Aunt-to-be news

Hope you've had a good Christmas.

PP xx
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 29th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Thanks KC. It's definitely freeing myself up to have options that is the main driver for all this ... Gradually getting to a point where the end seems almost in sight!

Yep , baby will be getting lots of smiles and cuddles ....will try v hard to reign in spending so as not to end up bankrupt!

Hey PP
    Aw thank u what a lovely welcome back!
    Am so happy for my sis and cannot wait for cuddles in the summer !
    Hope you had a good Xmas and all well your end xx
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 31st Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Happy New Year's Eve moneysavers!!!

To be honest I find the actual NYE celebrations can always be a bit of an anticlimax but love a good old Resolution!!

And while I'm spending a quiet hour this afternoon with a few of my favourite things ( a cuppa, the last dregs of a tin of Christmas choccies, and reading thru some inspirational diaries), I thought I'd take the time to reflect on the past year and on 2018 hopes and plans ..

In terms of 2017 achievements
    Have redecorated 2 out of the 3 bedrooms ...one slightly more of a dumping ground still, but feel am making progress towards a clutter-free (more or less!) house!

Have survived 2 fairly major reorganisations in the organisation I work for and in job role ( all in the space of 6 months) ....fairly unscathed, although definitely with renewed desire for more work life balance and possibly more control over how much time I spend working!

Winning my mojo back for fitness ...several runs and cycles in the bag this year , and a friend may have half twisted my arm on triathlon ideas for next year!! but it's great to have a free stress-relief built back into life more regularly!

Saved money on food shops and done more home cooking (remembering how much I enjoy it!)

Saved enough to remortgage at hopefully sub 100k which seemed a bit of a pipe dream when I started off this diary..

Goals for 2018
    Declutter and redecorate 3rd bedroom...want this done by the spring time!

Aim to save/OP £800 per month

Keep regular exercise going -its great for mind and body!

Cut down on processed sugar ...I struggle with a chronic health condition that can have flare ups several times a year that knock me for six....what's become increasingly apparent is that , although there isn't a " cure" as such, there are lots of things I can do by managing my diet, getting out for exercise ( cardio when I can but even a walk is better than nothing when feeling poorly)

Manage work-stress better ....have more of a ritual to switch off once I'm home and let go of my ever so slightly perfectionist tendencies...

Ooooo and prep for aunty duties too....one of the funnest and cutest 2018 plans!

Hope everyone has a great night tonight and not too sore a head tmrw

Love
    Ella x
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 1st Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 28,346 Posts
    • 157,826 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's a great review - surviving the work reviews, doing two bedrooms thoroughly, taking really good care of your health, and great savings/OP. Well done!
    Retired August 2016
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 1st Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Thanks KC!
    The couple of years have definitely been a learning curve on many fronts and life has thrown many a totally unexpected curve ball, but like to think I'm getting better at rolling with it!

Looking forward to continuing on as I've started !
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 6th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Morning all!
    Spending one of my favourite ways to start a Saturday ....cup of tea in bed with a book and contemplating the day ahead... another cuppa and some more contemplating may be needed before the day ahead actually starts though!

Been exhausted this week (health flare up combined with busy work week, but took it really easy yesterday ( learning to know and listen to my limits.....gradually! ) and woken up feeling much more human this morning! Hurrah!

Payday is still over 2 weeks away and couldn't come soon enough ...it always feels like such a long gap between December and january dates. Luckily, all social events this month already budgeted and paid for .....need to forage an extra £60 from somewhere for travel costs tho..may have to get ebaying! Food shopping being kept to a minimum...partly we have lots of treats leftover from Christmas still ( trying to ration these!) and partly so as not to rack up unecessary spends! Have done a freezer and cupboard inventory and excluding bread and milk we should be able to survive on what we have for a couple of weeks!

Enjoying the feeling of paying off a mortgage that is now in the 5 figures
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 7,537 Thanks
    pinkypig
    That is my weekend treat too - I really look forward to my Saturday mornings!
    Glad you’re feeling a bit better Ella, have a good week xx
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 37,599 Thanks
    CathT
    Once you get into five figures it seems to reduce much quicker. We need to get back there ourselves now after borrowing for our extension.

Payday seems so far away for us and they've changed dh pay date his month but I'm strangely enjoying the challenge!!
    Jan 2018 -
    part 1 - £79,207
    part 2 - £45,863
    Total - £125,070
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 8th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Thanks pinky
    There's nothing quite like a weekend lie in before the days starts...especially with how hectic the week gets, I really crave it and need that space when it gets to the weekend. I do need to make more of an effort to carve it out I think!

Thank you Cath and good luck on the payday challenge! I know what you mean, there's quite an achievement in seeing how things can stretch! ( Though will be glad when it arrives!)
    Good luck getting back into five figures, I can't quite believe it...have to keep pinching myself!

Feel I am gradually getting back into the swing of things after the break, tho have felt a bit stressed and unsettled with bring back at work....nothing really tangible as on the surface all is well....nice boss and colleagues, interesting stuff to do mostly but at least once a week I feel well out of my comfort zone with what I'm doing ... I can really overcommit myself sometimes ( in a world where there is always "too much" to do and more you could take on ) ..... It's kind of a lurking sense of anxiety I'm not really shaking and doesn't seem linked to a particular project or thing, doesn't shift with things achieved, or weekends or distractions ....very perplexing! trying the usuals ...exercise, sleep, avoiding alcohol and coffee but it's just not budging...maybe it's just January blues, I'll re evaluate in a week or so I think...

Maybe down to lots of family stuff being going on ( good things too with sisters lil bubba news) ....not really sure though..

Anyway on that ( sorry not very cheery! ) note off to bed before I dwell any more on it!

Ella X
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 13th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Evening all,
    Feeling a bit better after some early nights, making time to breathe and relax in the hecticness of the week and have broken the back of a fairly big project that's been looking the last year or so, so feeling positive!
    Must remember that I come first sometimes rather than taking on so much it's not do-able!
    Visit down to see sis tmrw which I'm really looking forward to and should be a cheap visit other than petrol.

In MF news have only spent on food we needed and continued eating out of freezer and cupboards, hoping out Jan spends will come in at around £100.

Just finishing off a glass of vino ( bottle gifted at Xmas) and then time for a film and earlyish night

Have a good weekend everyone xx
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 14th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 9,062 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hey Downshifterella, glad to hear you’re keeping an eye on the anxiety levels and finding slowing down at times in the week is helping.

Congratulations on being an auntie-to-be ok!
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £391.44/ £3000 13%

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 14th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 872 Posts
    • 7,537 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Glad you're feeling better Ella, hope you've had restful weekend and the week ahead is easier xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,039Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter