Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,683Posts
    • 51,431Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 67
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 7th Dec 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 9,987 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 7/21 for me today.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 15/21 2017 AFDs: 295/252
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 7th Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 4,898 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    5 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 7th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 6,006 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Welcome BACKFRMTHEEDGE

Wishing you all the best for your son's results Slowdown.

3/10 for today please Shaggy
    Last edited by sukeyboo; 07-12-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 7th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 47,183 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Well done for staying off the chocolate, Shaggy. I managed about 10 sugar-free days at the beginning of November and then caved in. Oops. I'm not even going to think about my weight in December and I'm defo not stinting the chocolate at all. Sorry about not keeping you company and all that, but you're doing marvellously all by yourself, anyway. Well done.

I know it is a funny time of year but I've decided to quit drinking for at least 3 months (probably for good). I drink every night between 5 and 10 units probably. And it is making me feel carp. I was supposed to go out with some mates tomorrow night but I've whatsapped them to tell them I'm not well (probably truer than I think).

So Shaggy 26 for December please.

I'll be back tomorrow to tell you what my first night was like. Not expecting much sleep.
    Originally posted by BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    I don't know whether this might interest you, Back From. I'm not suggesting you're an alcoholic, and I don't know what their criteria is, although they do pay travelling expenses and say people will be reimbursed for their time. Clincial trials can be quite well paid, sometimes. I'd do it like a shot if I qualified!

It's very interesting how many people don't like the fact that I'm happy to not have a drink. People aren't liking it at all!
    Originally posted by Mudbath
    I was exceptionally lucky with my friends who were all supportive, every single one of them. Two acquaintances weren't but their opinions don't count because they aren't important to me, and I wasn't working, so work colleagues didn't enter into it, fortunately for me. However, it is a recognised problem when stopping drinking, and the bullying won't stop until you make it very clear that it's none of their business what you do and don't drink.

I have absolutely no truck with that kind of behaviour and the longer I go AF the angrier that kind of pressure to drink makes me when I hear about it.

I will be having a glass tonight and I know it will be stress related. My son is waiting for some medical test results tomorrow morning and we don't know what to expect. It's very worrying and I know I'll have to calm my nerves. I know it's wrong but it will relax me while I distract myself. DH is out tonight so I won't have him to take my mind off things.
    Originally posted by Slowdown
    It isn't wrong, it's a coping strategy. Alcohol does relax us, it's why we enjoy it so much. Unless you've decided to be AF for the rest of your life, why shouldn't you enjoy a drink when you want one? I do hope the test results aren't serious and that whatever ails your son is easily cured.

7/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 7th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 43,847 Thanks
    Barny1979
    6/21 AFDs today
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 17,171 Posts
    • 102,645 Thanks
    maman
    Quite a lot of people on the list given that it's December!

Still of the chocolate - lost 4 pounds
    Originally posted by shaggydoo

That's great Shaggy. Well done!

I haven't decided what to do about Christmas chocolate yet. I'll buy a smallish box of Celebrations or similar for others to eat but I can take them or leave them. My reasoning is that if I'm going to have calories in chocolate I want them in something I really like. My favourites are chocolate marzipan, ginger and cherry liqueurs. I might buy some of each and then ration them.

We're out at Christmas dance tonight so I won't be AF. I have volunteered to drive to another dance on Saturday so that'll help my total.

Hope your son gets some good news slowdown.
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 7th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 5,400 Posts
    • 112,645 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Change of plan for me. The weather is awful so I'm driving which will make it 7/20 for me please
    • Paspatur
    • By Paspatur 7th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Paspatur
    Fancy a cold beer, mainly as it is Prawn Curry for dinner, but not venturing over to the shop as it's cold, dark and very windy so 5/24 for tonight please.
    Repeat of last night - Masterchef, hot bath and early night
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 7th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,778 Thanks
    Nicnak
    6/15 please x
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 25th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 7th Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Well, I've had that drink tonight and I'm quite calm.
    Thank you for your good wishes for my son's results. We're hoping to be sighing with relief tomorrow. There's always that niggling doubt though isn't there, no matter what you tell yourself.

I didn't drink as much as I thought I would. A small glass of wine and a small bottle of beer. Not so bad.

Well done to everyone who stayed AF tonight.

• maggiem
    • By maggiem 8th Dec 17, 6:10 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    maggiem
    2/15 please - struggling with target this month, which I knew especially as I had a couple of social events at the start of the month mid week. But I have managed to restart AFDs - and often previously I might have thought of ‘giving up’ and restarting in January. Posting here does help and means I can’t forget I am trying to have AFDs - not really forgetting but choosing to ignore really IYSWIM.

Hope to read good news about your son Slowdown.
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 8th Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Green Karen
    I will be having a glass of wine tonight as I'm going out with my oldest friend who I've not seen for about 6 months. I'm seeing it as a challenge though as normally we'd sink quite a few drinks between us and this time I want to stick to one drink. I don't want to not drink at all but I want to drink less and less often so I'm hoping to meet the challenge head on.
    Originally posted by Mudbath
    This really resounds with me as I often find it easier not to drink at all than just have one. I was due out with an old friend last night and debating over whether to drink or not, but she had to cancel so dilemma over!

I know I haven't gone for a high target this month but it's helping. I really wanted a glass of wine from the half finished bottle in the fridge last night. But I didn't because I am convinced I can hit this target. If I'd set it higher I would have just given in telling myself I won't make it anyway.

I will be having a glass tonight and I know it will be stress related. My son is waiting for some medical test results tomorrow morning and we don't know what to expect. It's very worrying and I know I'll have to calm my nerves. I know it's wrong but it will relax me while I distract myself. DH is out tonight so I won't have him to take my mind off things.
    Originally posted by Slowdown
    I quite agree. I often think there's no point not drinking when I have already 'failed' at hitting target, then a s*d it day becomes a s*d it month. At least if it is a s*d it month, I can salvage a few AF days rather than none at all.

Well managed 1/15 AFDs for last night and feeling pleased as just too easy to think s*d it given my start to the month. Hoping and intending another AFD today but rather more temptation as I will be wandering around a Christmas market tonight -and I love a gluhwein.

I think a lot of people notice negative effects from others when they stop drinking Mudbath - many of us find it easier not to say anything directly but to have a good excuse like drinking, antibiotics etc. Really very anti social to encourage a driver to have a drink, even just one!
    Originally posted by maggiem
    Well done maggiem on getting off the mark. When I am having a bad month getting AF (and there are many of these!), that first step makes it so much easier. It also reminds me the next morning why I would even bother trying to be AF in the first place!
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 8th Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Green Karen
    Sorry forgot to post 7/6 AF days and well done on the weight loss and dropping the chocolate Shaggy!
    • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    • By BACKFRMTHEEDGE 8th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 1,805 Thanks
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Morning

I had an excellent nights sleep last night.

2/26 Shaggy.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 8th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 4,898 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    6 AFD please Shaggy.
    Great weight loss Shaggy, well done for cutting back on the chocs. Hopefully you'll enjoy them when you do treat yourself

Slowdown - keeping everything crossed for your son's medical results. I recently went through a similar process and I empathise with you and your family.

Sun shining here this morning with a beautiful blue sky, off for a lovely walk along the tow path. Have a good weekend, I have a few social evenings so will be having a few on Fri/Sat.

Arkers x
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 8th Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    I failed miserably last night and had a couple of drinks. No excuse, just fancied them, then afterwards wondered why I did it...ho hum. I do seem to be having more days when I look back and wonder whether it was really worth caving in the night before, so perhaps it will get better. I am already thinking of doing a mostly dry January again. We go away near the end of the month so I want to do it up til then.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Dec 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 47,183 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I haven't decided what to do about Christmas chocolate yet. I'll buy a smallish box of Celebrations or similar for others to eat but I can take them or leave them. My reasoning is that if I'm going to have calories in chocolate I want them in something I really like. My favourites are chocolate marzipan, ginger and cherry liqueurs. I might buy some of each and then ration them.
    Originally posted by maman
    We were invited to another chocolate making party here on Saturday to celebrate a friend's 65th birthday and her retirement. We have a lot of extremely good chocolate as a result! We've also been given a malt3z3rs calendar, a tin of f0x's chocolate biscuits, OH had bought some chocolates for us to share about three weeks ago that we haven't touched yet, a neighbour gave us a chocolate elf each for St Nicholas's day (Polish, new baby, I gave them a fabric advent calendar with chox in it), another neighbour gave me a box of malt3z3rs 'just because,' and we won a tin of Roses in a quiz. There's absolutely no chance I'm going to be chocolate-free any time soon.

But I have managed to restart AFDs - and often previously I might have thought of ‘giving up’ and restarting in January. Posting here does help and means I can’t forget I am trying to have AFDs - not really forgetting but choosing to ignore really IYSWIM.
    Originally posted by maggiem
    I'm absolutely convinced that making myself accountable has made a huge difference, MaggieM. Well done on sticking with it.

I had an excellent nights sleep last night.
    Originally posted by BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Fantastic. My first two AF weeks were a bit tricky but I certainly slept better than when I drank. After that it's been a breeze all the way through. I absolutely know when I drink full-strength coffee at all I won't be able to get to sleep that night for hours, but sometimes it just has to be done.

8/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 6,683 Posts
    • 51,431 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : December 2017
    December 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 5/10

BackFrmTheEdge 2/26

Barny1979 6/21
    CathyBird 7/21

CuppaTea 3/18

ElusiveLucy 3/10
    GreenKaren 7/5
    Honey Bear 8/31

MaggieM 2/15

Maman 3/10
    Mudbath 7/20

Nicnak 6/15

Paspatur 5/24

Poor Single Lady 3/14

Pricey /20

PurpleMumof2

Shaggy 2/13

SlowDown 4/10

SukeyBoo 3/10

Stepuptotheplate 2/5

TakingOneDay /31

Tallyhoh /31

WBF 4/10

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 8th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 4,898 Thanks
    Arkers
    6 please Shaggy x
    Arkers x
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 8th Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 9,987 Thanks
    cathybird
    It's not an AFD for me today, it's the work Christmas do but to be honest I'm dreading overdoing it and am really hoping to keep it reined in, especially as I can't drink anywhere near the amount I used to. Also, I do not want to be hungover tomorrow. Watch this space!
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 15/21 2017 AFDs: 295/252
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter