Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,678Posts
    • 51,398Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 64
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 4th Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 47,140 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I slept really well last night. Bit of a revolutionary idea but I wonder if drinking less alcohol and coffee might be a good way to improve how I sleep. Shhh, don't tell anyone my secret new discovery!
    Originally posted by Wanna Bee Free
    That neatly encapsulates one of my greatest puzzles - why we, as adults with perfectly rational capabilities need to discover these things one by one, through personal experience, as true! We seem to be utterly incapable of realising that these things apply to us, and that the other people who've found it to be true aren't just being tedious nags!

4/31 please, Shaggy, with many thanks and much appreciation for all work you do keeping us motivated.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 05-12-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    Keeping it AF
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 4th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 4/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 13/21 2017 AFDs: 293/252
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 4th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 5,835 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    2/18 please shaggy
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 4th Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 6,004 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Bit late starting but 1/10 for today please Shaggy

On a separate note, I had the response from my employers regarding moving to a 4 day week and they have approved it but have asked if I would wait until the start of the new financial year in April - not exactly what I wanted but I am OK with that.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 4th Dec 17, 2:24 PM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 43,828 Thanks
    Barny1979
    3/21 AFDs for today
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 4th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    cathybird
    Hey sukeyboo, good news though And April honestly will be here pretty soon even if it doesn't feel like it at this point in the winter. I understand why it's a bit frustrating to wait but at least they've said yes
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 4th Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 4,896 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon everyone,
    2/10 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 17,155 Posts
    • 102,565 Thanks
    maman
    Bit late starting but 1/10 for today please Shaggy

On a separate note, I had the response from my employers regarding moving to a 4 day week and they have approved it but have asked if I would wait until the start of the new financial year in April - not exactly what I wanted but I am OK with that.
    Originally posted by sukeyboo

Pleased for you. It'll be good to have that to look forward to when the lighter evenings and warmer days come.

I'm pleased to get started on December at last. This always happens when a month starts at the weekend.

1 AFD please Shaggy.
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 4th Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 5,399 Posts
    • 112,645 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Hope everyone's having a good start to the week.

4/20 for me please. I've definitely found I'm sleeping better too. I'd like to say I have more energy but that would be a lie...I think I'm just trying to fit too much into each day and forgetting I'm no spring chicken any more!
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 4th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    Nicnak
    3 for me please x
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 25th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 4th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    Slowdown
    3/10 please Shaggy.
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 4th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    Green Karen
    Great news Sukeyboo, congratulations on your reduction in hours!

Calling in 4/5 AF days please.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 5th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 47,140 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Frustrating not to be able to embark on the new regime as soon as you'd like, SukeyBoo, but at least they agreed. They probably need to work out how to cover the 20% of the work you won't be able to do in the future. (I had a friend who went down to four days a week but was still expected to do the same amount of work. It would be a great shame if that happened.)

I've definitely found I'm sleeping better too. I'd like to say I have more energy but that would be a lie...I think I'm just trying to fit too much into each day and forgetting I'm no spring chicken any more!
    Originally posted by Mudbath
    I found exactly the same Mudbath. When people give up booze completely, as I did, we're told that it's only the beginning - now we'll have to deal with the emotional baggage that made us drink too much. I have to say that is absolute crap - I didn't drink to forget the pain (what a stupid clich!) I drank because it was a very bad habit. So, for me, no counselling or therapy required, all of which is appropriate if people want or need it, but wasn't the case with me. But the lack of energy was a real shock - I'd assumed I'd been hungover all the time (true) and that what was causing the lack of energy, but it turns out there was more going on.

What doesn't get factored in is that we're now taking a lot less sugar on board, so they may be empty calories, but they do provide energy that you're now denying yourself. Chocolate helps to replace it!

Getting enough sleep in theory one doesn't automatically suddenly have masses of energy which is incredibly frustrating. Yes, I think may be it's age, but not in a phyiscal sense - we've grown up and realised that we may just as well do things properly, and we have far more responsibility than we had when we were 21, well, most of us do. So, what could be skimmed over and ignored or just done in a slapdash way now takes time and energy - and I don't have enough of either, ever.

I've tweaked my diet to eat far fewer carbohydrates early in the day which has helped, as I noticed that having toast or porridge for breakfast sucked the energy right out of me. I stick with about 20 almonds for breakfast and very thick lentil or butter bean and veggie soup with something proteiny on the side like hummus or smoked mackeral pat! on half a slice of toast. That's helped. (It was the lovely Shaggy who suggested trying to reduce carbs during the day and it's been amazing - so thanks Shaggy.) I can't do bowlsful of yoghurt and fruit because my GP would like me to reduce my cholestorol a bit, so I've had to cut out most cheese and halve my yoghurt consumption because lowfat stuff is utterly disgusting and full of sugar, so they're not an option. That made life a bit more complicated, but it's possible to work around everything with a bit of thought.

I also take quite a few supplements because I think I need all the help I can get as I get older, and there has been a massive change in my left knee which has always been a nightmare. My mother had a problem with hers, and I've been feeling twinges in it since I was about nine years old - miraculously they've stopped completely since I started taking glucosamine and condroitin, plus musselflex which is astonishing.

It's tweaks to your lifestyle that will make the difference. I don't think I realised how much effect one small change can make, but it takes for ever to find the right tweaks for each person.

6/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 5th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 5,399 Posts
    • 112,645 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Honey Bear - thanks for your reply. I'll definitely increase my chocolate intake! Joking aside...I need to change my eating habits but my problem is too little food in the day. Take today, I've had nothing to eat yet as I started work earlier to fit in an extra client. Really no excuse as breakfasts can be so easy. I need to decide the day before what I'm having the following day.

Loving this thread for the advice and helping me stay focused.

5/20 for me today please.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 5th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    Reporting in late with my November total - 14/14

So far only 1/10 for December, but will stick with it this week.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 5th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 5/21 for me today.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 5th Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 6,004 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Thanks cathybird, maman, Green Karen & Honey Bear - I know that the time will probably fly by - I will be training another member of staff up to take over on my day off (hopefully )

Won't be AF today as OH & I are having another go at my 'birthday meal' tonight - we are going for a Chinese this time - hopefully it will be more of a success
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 5th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,678 Posts
    • 51,398 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Christmas itself revolves around children not alcohol. For example last Christmas Day was 8 adults and 4 children and I was one of only two adults who had alcohol and that was only 2 drinks (until I got home)
    Originally posted by Paspatur
    Alcohol isn't a tradition on xmas day in my family either....
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 5th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 6,678 Posts
    • 51,398 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    I'm happily making a few presents this year for people who've seen stuff I've made and said they'd love one (of whatever).
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    I've bought these photo frames this year and filled them with photos of family. I know they will be loved as photos are a rarity these days.

• shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 5th Dec 17, 3:04 PM
    • 6,678 Posts
    • 51,398 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : November 2017 Targets
    November 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 30 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

AlexLK 1/12
    Arkers 17/10
    Barny1979 28/26
    CathyBird 28/21
    CuppaTea 17/18
    Eltee 15 /18
    ElusiveLucy 13/14
    GreenKaren 7/5
    Honey Bear 30/30
    MaggieM 16/15
    Maman 16/10
    Nicnak 17/20
    Paspatur 7/24

Penelopedee /20
    Poor Single Lady 21/24
    Pricey 19/22

PurpleMumof2 /10
    Shaggy 19/13
    SlowDown 13/20
    SukeyBoo 16/14

Stepuptotheplate 3/10
    TakingOneDay 30/30
    Tallyhoh 30/30

WBF 5/7

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,038Posts Today

4,232Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin