The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Haven't been here for a while (but I do read the thread every now and then), but I seem to have cracked the drinking (for now anyways).

September was 20 days AF (unheard of for me) and I'm up to 3 this month already. I haven't set myself any targets as such, but I just go with the flow and try not to think about it.

I'm still on the 5:2 and so I don't drink on fast days and try not to the day before a fast.

Usually I would drink on a Thursday to celebrate no work on Friday, but I still have to get up with the kids, so fast on a Thursday to take away the temptation.

I'm getting there. I treat myself to a bottle of cava on a Friday and Saturday as something to look forward to.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good to hear you're doing well Pollyanna. It's often the case that people who don't post regularly stop because they've fallen off the wagon. Not you though. Well done!:T Sounds like you're doing 5:2 with the cava as well! Not a diet I've heard of before but if it works then don't knock it!:rotfl:

If it's a longstanding 'go to the pub' with your friend and you want to stop after a coffee then I think I would tell your friend in advance oneday (hope you don't mind the short form). If you think you can go to the pub and be AF then it's not such a big deal although that's quite a big ask for you so early in your journey. I suppose it depends on whether you want to tell people in RL sooner rather than later. Have you told your husband? Friends? Family? It's not unusual to keep it to yourself in RL for a while but it's your choice.

Incidentally, my DH hasn't had a drink this week yet. I only noticed yesterday.:o I think it's because he had a routine blood test and GP wants to talk to him about it.
  • Thanks maman.. I like the short version of my name so please do use it!

My husband knows that I have decided to stop and is really supportive but I haven't told any of my friends yet. I have a couple who are teetotal by choice (super fit) and a couple who I do tend to drink with when we go out. I think you're right that I need to broach the subject before hand and see what happens - I think the thought of having that conversation will be harder than the actuality..

Hope your husbands bloods come back OK... always worrying when the doctor 'wants to talk' x
  • Thanks HB for your comments on sugar withdrawal. I also forget to link alcohol with sugar. I massively craved sugar last night when I arrived home and not alcohol at all, which surprised me.

Particularly difficult at the moment as I gave up sugar entirely from last Sunday onwards. That even means any ingredient in processed food such as pasta sauce, milk in drinks and fruit (except for my smoothie in a morning where I allow myself one piece of fruit with my veg).

This was following some very inspirational speakers at a day I attended last Saturday.

I am aware I am probably setting my sights too high as it's very difficult to live off hardly anything but vegetables, but I shall have to start thinking about normalising soon.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good evening everyone,

I need to check in more often to keep me focused. Welcome OneDay, there is so much good advice and wise words from everyone here. I have found it to be a friendly and non-judgemental place. Good luck with your endeavours.

3 AFD please Shaggy x

Arkers x
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    3/18 please shaggy
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    not had a drop for more than 3 weeks now but its still not easy. I didn't go without at least a bottle of wine a night for quite a few years (sometimes more).
    The legs have stopped that nasty aching but as I need a hip replacement that pain has taken over resulting in lack of sleep but I'm determined not to give in.
    The sugar cravings are serious but I'm cutting down bit by bit.

takingonedayatatime good luck!
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Spent last night reading through part 13 of this thread and it really helps to read other peoples stories. I originally went to the start of Honey Bears journey but soon realised that everyone's comments help. Another headache for me today and feel 'antsy' but still determined not to drink. overall 8 days AF.

05/31 for this month so far. Thanks Shaggy
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well done oneday. Determined is good.:D It's very early days for you yet but it does get easier in time but loads of willpower needed to begin with (well, forever really). The sense of achievement afterwards is good too!:)
  • Thanks maman. Still trying to get my head round the 'forever' thing but will get there. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure