Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,661Posts
    • 51,280Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 61
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • 6,661 Posts
    • 51,280 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Appointment today ruled out the need for life changing surgery and the relief is immense
    Originally posted by Paspatur
    Brilliant news. I'm so happy for you.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 6,661 Posts
    • 51,280 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    So, i'd like to go for 20 AF in December. Really want to do this despite it being my birthday month, Christmas and lots of meals out etc. My plan is to be the designated driver a lot...that way I can't drink and my friends will love me

I'm not sure if i'll manage 20 but I'll be honest if I don't...no point cheating myself. I'm actually excited about being AF more...how long will that last!!
    Originally posted by Mudbath
    Welcome - you're on the list!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    • 6,661 Posts
    • 51,280 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : November 2017
    November 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 30 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

AlexLK 1/12
    Arkers 16/10
    Barny1979 26/26
    CathyBird 27/21
    CuppaTea 15/18
    Eltee 15 /18
    ElusiveLucy 12/14
    GreenKaren 6/5
    Honey Bear 28/30
    MaggieM 14/15
    Maman 15/10
    Nicnak 15/20

Paspatur 5/24

Penelopedee /20
    Poor Single Lady 19/24
    Pricey 13/22

PurpleMumof2 /10
    Shaggy 17/13
    SlowDown 12/20
    SukeyBoo 15/14

Stepuptotheplate 3/10
    TakingOneDay 22/30

Tallyhoh /30

WBF 6/7

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Nov 17, 2:53 PM
    • 6,661 Posts
    • 51,280 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : December 2017 Targets
    December 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

AlexLK

Arkers

Barny1979 /21

CathyBird /21

CuppaTea /18

Eltee

ElusiveLucy

GreenKaren /5

Honey Bear /31

MaggieM /15

Maman /10

Mudbath /20

Nicnak /15

Paspatur /24

Penelopedee

Poor Single Lady /14

Pricey

PurpleMumof2

Shaggy /13

SlowDown /10

SukeyBoo /10

Stepuptotheplate

TakingOneDay

Tallyhoh

WBF /10

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 6,661 Posts
    • 51,280 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : December 2017 Targets
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.

SET A

31 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 05-12-2017 at 3:13 PM.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 29th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 47,085 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Have decided I want to give up alcohol completely rather than counting days
    If the operation had been necessary it involved messing with my brain and would have caused balance problems and I was terrified
    So why do I voluntarily pour alcohol down my throat which messes with my brain and causes balance problems????
    I'm so pleased that you've been told surgery isn't necessary, Paspatur, and rooting for you on the giving up front. Congratulations on the first, and good luck with the second.

It takes a bit of getting used to because alcohol is a habit, but once you've decided that you don't want to do it any more it's just like any other habit - you work at creating the new life you want. It is so worth it! We're all rooting for you. Keep posting and let us know how it goes.

I was wavering as OH is in Scotland for work but decided drinking because I am lonely is silly. Going to enjoy sole custody of the remote and watch a couple of films I recorded instead. Murder on the Orient Express first, the 1970's one. Can't remember who did it either!
    Originally posted by Wanna Bee Free
    Sometimes just figuring out why we think we want a drink is enough to show us that we'd get a lot more fun out of not having one - good on you WBF! The foggy thing happens when we wake up after an AF night because we slept really well, but we're a bit sleep-deprived nonetheless. Most of us in the Western world are carrying a sleep deficit, apparently.

The only way I can get enough sleep is to turn the light out by 11.30 and then I wake up early the following morning after I've had a couple of decent nights

Mudbath, if what you're planning is turning over a new leaf and having a more rewarding and fulfilling life as a result, it's entirely appropriate to be excited! Making a big change and embarking on a new course of action opens up all sorts of possibilities, and we never know what they are until we try it.

29/30 please, Shaggy.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 30-11-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 29th Nov 17, 5:41 PM
    • 3,843 Posts
    • 43,793 Thanks
    Barny1979
    27/26 AFDs for today
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 29th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    Nicnak
    16/20, please xx
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 25th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 29th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 5,397 Posts
    • 112,626 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Thanks to everyone for the lovely welcome. Looking forward to being a part of your lovely group xx
    • Paspatur
    • By Paspatur 29th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Paspatur
    Thank you to Wanna be free, Shaggydoo and Honey Bear for your comments
    I have looked at the multi quote instructions but cannot get it to work
    Tech is normally a job for the children or nowadays the grandchildren but not asking in this case
    6/24 for tonight please
    • marcusjr
    • By marcusjr 29th Nov 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    marcusjr
    Newbee
    I think what youre doing is great and wish you all the best. Imon the same journey. Tried the Allen Carr Easyway. Didnt work but there ya go. Tried again the harder way and working better. The Allen Carr book gave me a lot of new ways to look at it tho so I am very grateful for that.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 29th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 4,300 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Welcome new joiners

20/24

HB your words are so beautiful.
    I can't help but think you are helping more people than you think. Helping me a lot right now. Thank you. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 30th Nov 17, 7:48 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    Green Karen
    7/6 AF days today.

Yes the icons are a real motivator as everyone else has commented Shaggy. I am really happy that I will get three of them for this month and that has pushed me to do that bit extra when I would have said s*d it before!

Just watching my neighbour scrape solid ice of his wife's car. Brrrrr! Hope everyone keeps warm and cosy.

Good luck Pastapur and keep posting!

Marcusjr - However you do it that works for you is the right way!
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 30th Nov 17, 8:00 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    maggiem
    15/15 for yesterday please Shaggy - love the cat on the moon. Very clever finding all these smileys, some are especially lovely and make me smile.

Welcome to Paspatur, and such good news re hospital too and Mudbath too.

Also thought others might be interested in this article from Good Husekerping blog.

Frequently waking during the night

This could be caused by low glycogen levels.

'To carry out its essential overnight repairs and cell rejuvenation, your body uses energy in the form of glycogen which is stored in the liver,' says Dr Henderson. 'During the night, these glycogen stores get depleted at a rate of 10g per hour, of which 65% is used by the brain.

'If this energy supply runs out, the liver sends stress signals to the brain in the form of the hormone cortisol, alerting it to wake up until sufficient levels are restored. This process can result in broken sleep, which you may not even be aware of, but can often leave you feeling tired and lacking in energy the following day.'

If you think you are frequently waking during the night, try Benenox Overnight Recharge (£12.49, T**co), which contains three natural ingredients – honey, Sustamine and vitamin B6 – that work together to give you a more restful night's sleep.

Not advertising and I haven’t tried the remedy although I might as my sleep pattern is poor (not helped by too much travelling and nights in hotels) but thought it was an interesting possible explanation. As the liver regenerates then not drinking might explain why some people experience much improved sleep.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 30th Nov 17, 8:06 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 3,305 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    13/14 for Tues night when I went out and drove and decided it wasn't worth losing an AFD for 1 drink, but then went and had a s*d it day yesterday and a couple of drinks. Will hit target tonight.

Please can I set a target of 10 for December, which will be a real challenge with the festivities and my birthday
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 30th Nov 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 10,220 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Hi Marcusjr glad you are joining us on here. I read the Easyway book ages ago. Sometimes all these things sow seeds for later so I guess it all helps.

Welcome to the thread - do keep on posting!

Glad your evening turned out well wbf. You can do this!:
    [/B]
    Originally posted by maman
    Ok, confession time. After my success the night before I fell at the first hurdle last night. Caved in at around 9pm. Errr, oh well. Today is a planned celebration so I'm calling it for November at 5/7.

I am planning to be AF next Monday to Wednesday. Want smileys in December!!
    Last edited by Wanna Bee Free; 30-11-2017 at 8:51 AM.
    No. 44 Save 12K in 2017 £8,500/£7,500 113%
    AFDs 112/150 14/4/10/9/7/3/18/15/17/5/5/4 74%
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 30th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 47,085 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I have looked at the multi quote instructions but cannot get it to work
    Tech is normally a job for the children or nowadays the grandchildren but not asking in this case
    No, not in this case, Paspartur, I agree. Click on the double bubble at the bottom of the posts you want to multiquite, just on the right of the Quote button. (You can only collect up to three quotes.) At the bottom left of the last post on the page you'll see another blue button - Post Reply. Click on that and a new screen will appear, with the Multiquotes in it.

I think what youre doing is great and wish you all the best. Imon the same journey. Tried the Allen Carr Easyway. Didnt work but there ya go. Tried again the harder way and working better. The Allen Carr book gave me a lot of new ways to look at it tho so I am very grateful for that.
    Originally posted by marcusjr
    Welcome Marcusjr! I haven't read Allen Carr but a lot of people have found his books helpful. Anything that helps is good in my opinion and new perspectives are particularly helpful. The great thing about new knowledge is that we can't unlearn it, although sometimes it takes a while for the real message to seep through, so just reading isn't always enough. I found reading masses of blogs by people who were battling with giving up really helpful, as well as every book the library had on the subject - painfully few, but they did have some. Keep posting - we know that works!

Thank you PSL. That's a lovely thing to say and it means a lot. I hope things are going smoothly for you - it's a tough time at work to resist the endless drink-fests associated with Christmas - 'Merry' being the operative word at this time of year. Bah humbug and all of that!

Interesting article Maggie M. I rattle I take so many supplements, but there is no doubt that we underestimate the effect of booze and caffeine on our sleep. So did my OH, by the way and he whinged daily about his appalling lack of sleep for 20 years. I've quoted this elsewhere, but if someone can get through the labyrinthine process of being referred to a sleep clinic because of long-standing sleep problems, 50% (A FULL 50%) of all patients report that giving up all caffeine (tea and hot chocolate as well as coffee) report that all of their sleep problems disappear. That's an astonishing finding. I'm guessing a substaintial majority of the remaining 50% would also find their problems disappeared if they gave up alcohol. It was only after I did and OH cut back to about a glass a day, two or three on highdays and holidays, that we both realised just how disruptive the effect of booze is, and that it creeps up on us all without us noticing.

We all do it, WBF. It happens. I think Shaggy's signature is the right attitude at times like these. Onwards and upwards.

30/30 please Shaggy. Very satisfying.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 30-11-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 30th Nov 17, 10:43 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 5,989 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Morning all & welcome marcusjr

Aiming to be AF tonight but not sure enough to declare early - will confirm tomorrow morning

Shaggy sorry to be a pain but I think I am missing my 'target beaten' smiley - what a big kid I am
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 30th Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 9,895 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 28/21 for me please and welcome marcusjr, best of luck to you.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 11/21 2017 AFDs: 291/252
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 30th Nov 17, 12:11 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 9,895 Thanks
    cathybird
    This is rather early but think I can declare New Year's Eve to be an AFD if for no other reason than because I am working the next day and I certainly don't need or want to be hungover. I hate big parties anyway to be honest so a quiet evening the night before suits me fine.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 11/21 2017 AFDs: 291/252
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin