Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,653Posts
    • 51,215Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 33
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 47,030 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I am looking forward to a haircut and maybe even a manicure in the near future to help with my motivation. In fact I may just book them now for next week!! Why not eh? ;-)
    Originally posted by takingonedayatatime
    Absolutely right, just the thing to do. Make that call!

Hey all, I have had a lovely trip away, back now and back in the saddle tomorrow, looking forward to it!
    Originally posted by cathybird
    Welcome back CathyBird!

I had an alcohol free beer last night as I was really thirsty, do not like coke etc. I enjoyed it too although not usually a beer / lager drinker. However I suspect still relatively high in calories.
    Originally posted by maggiem
    I've got some really, really great news for you, MaggieM - after water, alcohol-free beer is the next healthiest drink you can order in a pub. Be*cks Bl*e has 57 kilo calories per bottle - it's much lower than sugar-filled soft drinks.

9/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 17,110 Posts
    • 102,349 Thanks
    maman
    Glad you enjoyed your trip cathy, and straight back in the saddle is good.

Hope the appointments are made oneday. I think missing the 'something to look forward to' is one of the struggles of being AF to begin with so that'll help plus it's really good to see something tangible for the money you're saving.

No plans to drink today here.

5 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 51,215 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    So for this month I am on 4/31 plese Shaggy
    Originally posted by takingonedayatatime
    Welcome and Good Luck.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 9th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 51,215 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : October 2017
    October 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

AlexLK 5/21

Arkers

Barny1979 5/24

CathyBird 5/21

CuppaTea 3/18

Eltee /25

ElusiveLucy 4/14

GintotMelinda

GreenKaren 7/TF
    Honey Bear 9/31

MaggieM 6/15

Maman 5/10

Nicnak
    Poor Single Lady 7/24

Pricey 1/20

PurpleMumof2 3/10

Shaggy 5/13

StepUpToThePl8

StichyWitchy

SukeyBoo 4/14
    TakingOneDay 8/31

WBF 2/14

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 9th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 9,859 Thanks
    cathybird
    Hey Honey Bear and maman!!! *waves back madly*

I did have a fine time, went to Spain, didn't overdo it on the booze except on night one, when I was drinking cocktails and in retrospect they were really quite big in deep glasses, but I was okay the next day all things considered. I thought of you, Honey Bear, because I saw some Joan Miro paintings in an art gallery - I do like his stuff - though I suspect most of his best works are in Barcelona (I was not in Barcelona). Spain is a great place altogether, lovely food, sunshine, art, fascinating history etc, but it's good to be home.
    Last edited by cathybird; 09-10-2017 at 3:12 PM.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 9/21 2017 AFDs: 289/252
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 9th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 5,828 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    5/18 please shaggy
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 9th Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Good evening all. [COLOR="Red"][8/24 please/COLOR]

Love reading all the posts. Some very good avice HB and Mamam
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • takingonedayatatime
    • By takingonedayatatime 9th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    takingonedayatatime
    Hi Everyone!!

Thanks for the words of advice Honey Bear and Maman.

Just had a lovely bath and now relaxing with my blogs!!

9/31 for me.. Thanks Shaggy
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 9th Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Green Karen
    9 AF days as of tonight. Thanks for the welcomes back, always great to be here.

Going sugar free still a bit of a struggle, cravings dropping but am starting to believe the sugar cravings are greater than the alcohol cravings. Maybe it is too much tackling both at once but I feel one may start me off on the other if I introduce one of them. It's a quandary
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Oct 17, 8:09 AM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 9,859 Thanks
    cathybird
    hey all, 6/21 for me today please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,846.85/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Dec AFDs: 9/21 2017 AFDs: 289/252
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 10th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 5,973 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    5/14 for today please Shaggy
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 47,030 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Glad you enjoyed the Miros CathyBird. He's the only modern artist I've come to love, but it's a start. And yes, I rather think his best work is in his own Foundation!

Going sugar free still a bit of a struggle, cravings dropping but am starting to believe the sugar cravings are greater than the alcohol cravings. Maybe it is too much tackling both at once but I feel one may start me off on the other if I introduce one of them. It's a quandary
    Originally posted by Green Karen
    What I've discovered about sugar cravings, Green Karen, is that the more sugar you eat, the more you want. The really great news is that there are ways to fool the system that after a lot of trial and error seem to work for me.

1. The earlier you start eating sugar in the day, the more you'll eat.
    2. Dried fruit seems to satisfy the cravings; it is full of sugar but it's also full of fibre, vitamins and some minerals. I'm strict about how much I allow myself, but figs, dates and apricots are always on hand here - don't have more than two figs, five dates and/or three apricots a day. If you're new to buying dried fruit, get it from the baking section of the supermarket, not the puny little bags near the fresh fruit.
    3. Don't, under any circumstances, have a load of chocolate in the house, no matter how cheap boxes of malte$ers and chocolate oranges are at the moment. And don't buy eightpacks of Morri$on'$ own brand $printers or Ap0ll0 bars to take when having to stand about for three hours in the rain, cold and wind.

Guess which one of those I don't comply with. However, by not baking any Twinks I've managed to stop scoffing those by the fistful which seems to be helping. Good luck with it.

10/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 10th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 3,296 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    Up to 5/14 for me for last night please after a most definitely not AF weekend.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 17,110 Posts
    • 102,349 Thanks
    maman
    2. Dried fruit seems to satisfy the cravings; it is full of sugar but it's also full of fibre, vitamins and some minerals. I'm strict about how much I allow myself, but figs, dates and apricots are always on hand here - don't have more than two figs, five dates and/or three apricots a day. If you're new to buying dried fruit, get it from the baking section of the supermarket, not the puny little bags near the fresh fruit.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

A bit off topic, but as this is a money saving site.
    Aldi seems to belie the theory about snack packs v home baking as far as nuts are concerned. My DH likes nuts on his muesli and they're cheaper in home baking than in the 'healthy' section. That being said in some stores all the plain nuts are all in the same section so take note of the price per kg.

If you have Home Bargains near you then they sell 500g bags of pitted dates (again for the muesli) quite cheaply and, especially with Christmas coming up, there should be plenty of those packs with the dates still on the stalks at 2 for £1 or even cheaper.

Fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth but if I want a pudding I enjoy red fruits (fresh or frozen) with some 0% Greek yogurt (again Aldi is every bit as good as Total) and a sprinkle of sweetener. So unless you have an issue with sweetener that's another way of getting a healthy sweet fix. Another option is to have a couple of Sainsbury's mini meringues and make a version of Eton mess.

Back to the booze thread:

Dancing tonight so definitely no drinking.

6 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • takingonedayatatime
    • By takingonedayatatime 10th Oct 17, 3:13 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    takingonedayatatime
    Hello!!

Feeling a little brighter today. Manicure booked for Friday and hair appointment next week. Looking forward to it already.

Still reading Part 13 of this thread and its really interesting and inspiring.

I've realised that I always seem to count my days AF earlier than most, but I don't really give it a second thought... I know I wont drink for the rest of the day so I'm happy declaring early!

10/31 please Shaggy
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Good evening all. 9/24

Room on the broom - to repeat what somebody else said earlier,
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 10th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 43,761 Thanks
    Barny1979
    6/24 AFDs today
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 10th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Green Karen
    Thanks for the tips on reducing sugar cravings HB and maman. I am sat here right now looking at a bar of chocolate that has been near my laptop for a few weeks and thinking I should eat some of the prunes we have instead

10 AF tonight, can I please set a target of 20 thanks.
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 10th Oct 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 10,202 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    3/14 please Shaggy. Sleep well everyone
    No. 44 Save 12K in 2017 £8,000/£7,500 106%
    AFDs 112/150 14/4/10/9/7/3/18/15/17/5/5/4 74%
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 11th Oct 17, 6:24 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    maggiem
    Think my maths is slipping too but counted up today and I now have 8/15 please and yeah a smiley �� and aiming for 9 tonight. Good to get ahead as might have a few days away at the end of the month. Interesting to read of talk about sugar cravings and in awe of strength of mind of those who can have a chocolate bar and NOT EAT IT! Must work on healthy eating too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter