Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,582Posts
    • 50,778Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 30
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 2nd Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 10,048 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    2/14 for me please Shaggy. I was sorely tempted this evening. A combination of some stressful news and aches and pains and the sight of a wine bottle near the fridge and I nearly weakened. Thank goodness it was on the side at room temperature and not cooling in the fridge. I told myself to eat dinner and then see if I still wanted wine. Luckily enough it worked!
    Last edited by Wanna Bee Free; 02-10-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    No. 44 Save 12K in 2017 £7,100/£7,500 94%
    AFDs 103/150 14/4/10/9/7/3/18/15/17/5 66%
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 2nd Oct 17, 11:35 PM
    • 5,792 Posts
    • 30,066 Thanks
    AlexLK
    2 for me, please.

Really wanted to drink tonight but have resisted.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 3rd Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 3,124 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    2/14 for me please. Unusually I had an AF sunday (mainly due though to overindulging on saturday which isn't so good)
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 3rd Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 5,748 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    2/14 for today please Shaggy
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 3rd Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 46,007 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    2/14 for me please Shaggy. I was sorely tempted this evening. A combination of some stressful news and aches and pains and the sight of a wine bottle near the fridge and I nearly weakened. Thank goodness it was on the side at room temperature and not cooling in the fridge. I told myself to eat dinner and then see if I still wanted wine. Luckily enough it worked!
    Originally posted by Wanna Bee Free
    Well done for getting past the tempation, WBF. On the very rare occasions I managed not to drink in the olden days when dinner was always at 8.00 pm, I knew that if I could get to 8.15 without having a glass of wine, I was going to be fine for the evening. The danger time was 7.55 - 8.15 every single night.
    Keeping it AF
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 3rd Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 3/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,183.81/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Oct AFDs: 14/21 2017 AFDs: 239/252
    • maman
    • By maman 3rd Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 16,845 Posts
    • 100,603 Thanks
    maman
    I was sorely tempted this evening. A combination of some stressful news and aches and pains and the sight of a wine bottle near the fridge and I nearly weakened. Thank goodness it was on the side at room temperature and not cooling in the fridge. I told myself to eat dinner and then see if I still wanted wine. Luckily enough it worked!
    Originally posted by Wanna Bee Free

Sometimes an hour at a time can work, then a day, then.....
    well done for resisting.

I'm dancing again tonight and tomorrow night so no plans to drink at all. Squash is all that will pass my lips. Incidentally I've been having hot Ribena lately as a drink of choice in the evening. It's comforting without the caffeine of a cuppa.

2 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 3rd Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 50,778 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : September 2017 Targets
    September 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 30 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 16/TF
    Barny1979 22/25
    CathyBird 29/21
    CuppaTea 19/18
    Eltee 15/18

ElusiveLucy 11/10

GintotMelinda 3/TF
    Honey Bear 30/30
    MaggieM 11/15
    Maman 15/10

Nicnak /15
    Poor Single Lady 21/24
    Pricey 21/20

PurpleMumof2 5/10
    Shaggy 20/21

StepUpToThePl8 3/5

StichyWitchy 1/15
    SukeyBoo
    12/10
    Tallyhoh 12/30
    WBF 17/21

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 3rd Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 50,778 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : October 2017
    October 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

AlexLK 2/21

Arkers

Barny1979 2/24

CathyBird 3/21

CuppaTea 1/18

Eltee /25

ElusiveLucy 2 /14

GintotMelinda

Honey Bear 2/31

MaggieM 1/15

Maman 2/10

Nicnak

Poor Single Lady 2/24

Pricey 1/20

PurpleMumof2 1/10

Shaggy 1/13

StepUpToThePl8

StichyWitchy

SukeyBoo /14

Tallyhoh /31

WBF 2/14

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 3rd Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 50,778 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : October 2017 Targets
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.

SET A

29 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 16-10-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 3rd Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Good evening all. 3/24

went out for lunch and no alcohol and tommorow trying to do the same.

Work is miserable right now and that puts me right off drink. Feel like I need to make the most of my freedom sober - plus it's bake off and the legend that is doctor foster and I need to see it. (Sorry off topic)

Thank you all. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 3rd Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 43,373 Thanks
    Barny1979
    3/24 AFDs today
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 4th Oct 17, 5:23 AM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 17,370 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning

AFD 2/10 for yesterday .
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7250.00 Cap 1: £540.91 BC: £5196.94

AFD 3/10 NSD 2/10 LTW 3/15

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 4th Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 46,007 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Work is miserable right now and that puts me right off drink. Feel like I need to make the most of my freedom sober - plus it's bake off and the legend that is doctor foster and I need to see it. (Sorry off topic)
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    Anything, anything at all that stops anyone taking even one drink is not 'off topic.' Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest differences. Once we've started making tiny changes and discovered we can, and they make our lives better - everthing looks completely different.

For my part, a very unwelcome return of a familiar feeling is happening here. Twice, recently, I've found myself thinking, 'Mmm, OH's glass of red wine looks rather delicious.' Grr.

4/31 please Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 4th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 5,748 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Epic fail last night - I had declared early and then things all went a bit 'Pete Tong' when I got home last night and half a bottle of wine was consumed

So I will carry over my 2/14 to today please Shaggy - absolutely determined not to drink tonight

HB - I know that I would find it extremely difficult to watch someone else drink and I am full of admiration for your resolve - you always appear so strong but it must be very hard sometimes.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 4th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 4/21 for me today please.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 4th Oct 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    cathybird
    Epic fail last night - I had declared early and then things all went a bit 'Pete Tong' when I got home last night and half a bottle of wine was consumed

So I will carry over my 2/14 to today please Shaggy - absolutely determined not to drink tonight
    Originally posted by sukeyboo
    sukeyboo, I sometimes change my mind after declaring a day an AFD and I see it as just changing my mind - so don't necessarily beat yourself up over it or see it as an epic fail per se, is my thought. It perhaps depends on how it came about?

The main thing, it seems to me, is to keep going and don't give up, and be upfront here and keep posting. Onwards and upwards.
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 16,845 Posts
    • 100,603 Thanks
    maman
    Work is miserable right now and that puts me right off drink. Feel like I need to make the most of my freedom sober
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady
    That's amazing, most people turn to drink after a bad day at work. Make the most of this silver lining.

For my part, a very unwelcome return of a familiar feeling is happening here. Twice, recently, I've found myself thinking, 'Mmm, OH's glass of red wine looks rather delicious.' Grr.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

I've had that feeling on an AF night. Usually if it's a bottle I haven't tried but I wouldn't feel comfortable calling it an AF night even if I had a taste. Strange though I was eyeing up some cherry liqueurs this week and wouldn't have counted those. Fortunately the 'empty calories' put me off. Maybe at Christmas.

HB - I know that I would find it extremely difficult to watch someone else drink and I am full of admiration for your resolve - you always appear so strong but it must be very hard sometimes.
    Originally posted by sukeyboo

It happens sukey. What matters is that it's increased your resolve not to drink tonight. Well done!
    I know that when I first started cutting down it helped that DH was going through a beer phase. All he was drinking was Peroni or Leffe so I wasn't tempted. Now he's back on wine I can mostly ignore it except for the odd twinge (as above).

Dancing + Driving = NO Drinking for me again tonight.

3 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 4th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    Green Karen
    Am back to it again after being 'out in the wilderness' for a couple of months (or more, lost track!)

I stopped wanting to count and just wanted to be totally undisciplined in my drinking again - never a good move.

Please Shaggy put me as TF for October as I don't really want to put too much pressure on yet. Am on 3/TF so far today.
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 4th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    maggiem
    3 AFDs so far, hoping to make it 4 tonight but going out with colleagues for a meal and whilst I intend to remain AF it feels I might be tempting fate by declaring!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,157Posts Today

8,210Users online

Martin's Twitter