Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,557Posts
    • 50,623Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 20
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 14th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hi,

Can I join, please? I want to have 15 AFDs to get me to the end of the month.

Here goes. x
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 14th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    I'm at 1/5
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £8789 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 14th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 5,652 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Hi all I'm here on a drinking day.
    Just caught up.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 14th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    maggiem
    Good luck to all newbies. I'm not a good example but lots of good advice from others on this thread and reading through earlier posts too helps me. Posting regularly too even when admitting that I have not had an AFD helps too. When I don't post it's often because I have reverted to drinking each evening, might not be too much but definitely too frequently.
    I managed 5/15 please and managed this in an airport lounge after a 2 hour 50 minute flight delay - amazing how often airlines manage to get the flight in just under the three hour compensation limit! Very tired now so tea is the answer.
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 14th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 9,955 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    8/21 for me today. I bought bigger jeans last month and somehow it kick started me losing a few pounds.

Sleep well everyone.
    No. 44 Save 12K in 2017 £6,100/£7,500 81%
    AFDs 80/150 14/4/10/9/7/3/18/15 53%
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 15th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 14/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,183.81/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Sep AFDs: 22/21 2017 AFDs: 219/252
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 15th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    10/24

Welcome new joiners. Good morning all. I made it yesterday. Thank you so much HB.
    Did think of you in the pub. It was a bit weird but once you've ordered the soft drink it's easier I think.
    It's the build up and actually being at the bar - and having the bar staff think you are a bit weird,then once it's in your hand you have done it.
    Pleased with that. I feel like it was a really good thing for me. No drinks planned till next Thursday (and then will be taking it easy). So 10 today.
    Thank you all. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 16,651 Posts
    • 99,469 Thanks
    maman
    10/24

Welcome new joiners. Good morning all. I made it yesterday. Thank you so much HB.
    Did think of you in the pub. It was a bit weird but once you've ordered the soft drink it's easier I think.
    It's the build up and actually being at the bar - and having the bar staff think you are a bit weird,then once it's in your hand you have done it.
    Pleased with that. I feel like it was a really good thing for me. No drinks planned till next Thursday (and then will be taking it easy). So 10 today.
    Thank you all. xxx
    Originally posted by Poor_Single_lady

Well done PSL! I'm sure, like most habits, it's all in the head. I'm sure bar staff don't think you're at all weird. They must serve soft drinks all the time for drivers and those on a healthy diet and those who just don't like alcoholic drinks.

Change of plan yesterday. It was DH's birthday but we postponed it! Poor man has a nasty virus (throat and chest) so didn't feel like going out. I made us a nice meal at home and was tempted to have a drink but resisted.

6 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 15th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    I also stayed AF last night, so am up to 7/10. First time I have done 4 days in a row for a while
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 15th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon,

Welcome New peeps. 1 more AFD for me please Shaggy.
    Have a great weekend.

Arkers x
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 15th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 9,955 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    9/21 for me today.

Sleep well everyone.
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 15th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 5,652 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    11/18 for me please shaggy. Decided to go AF tonight as I drank last night. Trying to stick to my 2 drinking nights a week.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 16th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    11/24 Seeing family tommorow which always makes me want a drink quite a lot but will need to get through without.

Hope DH feels better soon Mamam. Must be sad being poorly on your birthday.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 16th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 15/21 for me today.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 16,651 Posts
    • 99,469 Thanks
    maman
    I had a rare AF Friday. It wasn't easy. I found myself thinking about it a lot during the day and at wine o'clock which I don't on other AF days. I know that's just because I always have a drink on Friday so it's a habit. I just kept putting off pouring a drink and having cups of tea until about 9 p.m. when I decided I'd cracked it!

Today we're out for a meal to celebrate DGD's birthday. I will have a drink but it'll be moderate. DH is still poorly but it's a special birthday so he'll drag himself out.

7 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 16th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 9,955 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    10/21 for me today
    Well done winning the struggle yesterday Maman!
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 17th Sep 17, 7:53 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 16/21 for me please.

I'm even dreaming about this thread now - I had a dream last night that I inadvertently drank some Kahlua at a social occasion and then I was angry because it had been meant to be an AFD and I thought, "Damn, now I'll have to post to say it isn't." Then I woke up and it was all a dream! I was happy about that. I don't even like neat Kahlua!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 17th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    12/24 please

Hope you can sleep better Cathybird.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 17th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 11,047 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Hi all

Can I join in please? tonight will be my 3rd af day and I am looking to drink very little until the end of the month. I normally have a drink every evening but I want to stop as it's a habit I've got into. I am aiming to go sober for October.

Any tips for not indulging would be most welcome. I don't like the dark evenings and a drink is nice once I've pulled the curtains.

Thanks

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • maman
    • By maman 17th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 16,651 Posts
    • 99,469 Thanks
    maman
    Welcome gintot.
    Of course you can join us. If you want a September target, just post the number of days you plan and the lovely Shaggy will add you to the list.

I can totally empathise with the drinking every day. That's where I started and you're right, it's about breaking a habit. For me the hardest part is getting past the first drink (aka wine o'clock). I find making a hot drink like tea or chocolate and using that as my marker for sitting down for the evening works
    Other options are distraction like going out somewhere for the evening or even for an hour or so to get past the difficult time. Sometimes you have to go hour by hour.

But you've done 3 already so well done!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin