Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,623Posts
    • 51,034Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)
    • 29th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14) 29th Jul 17 at 2:06 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 17
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 46,621 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    *Healing vibes* for the pain, Maman.

Just because you didn't have a holiday in the middle of the summer Elusive Lucy doesn't mean the days drawing in and a bucket of rain every few minutes aren't a bit depressing. I love the autumn but still .... I hope the abroad thing goes smoothly.

Lunchtime drinking was, very fortunatley for me, just about the only booze habit I never developed. I can still remember my first lunchtime drink, in the Pepper Pot in Dock Street in London and it seemed like a good idea at the time because everyone else did it, and how I had to drag myself, literally, around the office when I went back to work that afternoon. I knew then it wasn't for me and the only time I ever did after that was at golden wedding anniversaries for some reason. And that always ended up with me being in bed by about 7.00 pm because I just couldn't keep going. I have absolutely no idea how anyone manages to drink in the middle of the day and keep functioning in any capacity afterwards because it's always been the same with me. Even Christmas ....

9/30 please, Shaggy.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 09-09-2017 at 2:07 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 9th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 9,645 Thanks
    cathybird
    I can actually manage spirits at lunchtime without falling asleep in the afternoon but not wine - it makes me drowsy. A cocktail or a g&t are okay though, oddly enough.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. £11,183.81/£12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: £20,880.11/£15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: £25,464.86/£10,000
    Nov AFDs: 21/21 2017 AFDs: 273/252
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 9th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 43,610 Thanks
    Barny1979
    8/25 AFDs today
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 9th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 10,105 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    5/21 for me today. I have been very hungover so thought it was best! [/QUOTE]
    No. 44 Save 12K in 2017 £7,100/£7,500 94%
    AFDs 106/150 14/4/10/9/7/3/18/15/17/5/3 70%
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 10th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 9,645 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 10/21 for me please.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Well done Barney hope it's going/gone well. Will have a look on the telly.
    6/24 today

Drank a bit yesterday. So none today or tommorow.
    The thing I notice about lunchtime drinking is that it sort of has a snowball effect. If the first person talking about drinks mentions wine then people will get wine. If the person has a Coke everyone else is more likely to stick to soft drinks.
    We all have quite difficult and sometimes technical things to do that need high levels of concentration but somehow it doesn't seem crazy to choose the drink that will make things harder.
    I'm going to make a major effort to curb this from now on. It shouldn't be too difficult or beyond me. First challenge Thursday.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 10th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 5,787 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    7/18 for me please
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 46,621 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I hope the run's going well, Barny.

Interesting that lunchtime drinking is a follow my leader game, PSL. I suppose it's got something to do with giving each other permission.

10/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 10th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Please can I join you? What do I need to do to log (the relatively few) AFDs that I have? I've been conscious for a while that I'm drinking out of habit more than anything. The end of a stressful day at work, or because it's Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday.. you get the idea. I could do with losing some weight, so it can't hurt there either. Does anyone have any tips for me? How do I break this habit?
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £17902 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 10th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 5,787 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Hi welcome to the group. The more the merrier.
    If you read back through the thread, you'll find some very helpful hints and tips. Being honest with yourself is a good start.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 10th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 43,610 Thanks
    Barny1979
    9/25 AFDs today, GNR was hard going, not sure I will do it again, probably stick to five and 10ks
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    • 16,995 Posts
    • 101,638 Thanks
    maman
    9/25 AFDs today, GNR was hard going, not sure I will do it again, probably stick to five and 10ks
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    full of admiration that you did it. Well done!
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 11th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 9,645 Thanks
    cathybird
    Well done Barney and 11/21 for me please.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 11th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 46,621 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Please can I join you? What do I need to do to log (the relatively few) AFDs that I have? I've been conscious for a while that I'm drinking out of habit more than anything. The end of a stressful day at work, or because it's Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday.. you get the idea. I could do with losing some weight, so it can't hurt there either. Does anyone have any tips for me? How do I break this habit?
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    Welcome Step up to the Pl8! To log the number of days just decide how many days you don't intend to drink this month (adding in any you've already achieved so far, obviously) and post it, in red, bold and if you can a slightly bigger font, so that Shaggy can add you to her list. Then post daily - if you only post on days when you didn't drink that doesn't seem to help. Somehow knowing that you have to post every day seems to help with resisting temptation.

I think I'm right in saying I'm the only person posting at the moment who's stopped drinking completely, but I wouldn't advocate that unless you really, really want to stop altogether. Most people seeem to want to moderate, and if that's what you're aiming for good luck with it and you'll be in good company here. I tried it, but I never got the hang of it, but other people do so it is possible.

I found reading this thread and then going back and reading the previous ones really, really helpful. Along the way this community has come up with a lot of really helpful suggestions that make it a lot simpler to change the habit of drinking, which some of us have found trickier than we'd anticipated when first tackling it on our own.

My personal best bit of advice is - find a non-alcoholic drink that you enjoy. It took me a few weeks (or months, I can't remember which) to find the right one for me, B3cks B1ue, which someone else mentioned on the previous incarnation of this thread. From then on life has been much simpler for me.

Good luck with it and keep posting!

Originally posted by Barny1979
    Woo hoo! Well done Barny for achieving it, especially if it's your last full marathon.

11/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 11th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,873 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Back from holibobs and declaring early for my first AF for September

1/10 please Shaggy
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 16,995 Posts
    • 101,638 Thanks
    maman
    I think I'm right in saying I'm the only person posting at the moment who's stopped drinking completely, but I wouldn't advocate that unless you really, really want to stop altogether. Most people seeem to want to moderate, and if that's what you're aiming for good luck with it and you'll be in good company here.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

That's what I love about the tone of this thread these days. I love it that it embraces both cutters down and givers up and there's no judgement. I think it's testament to you HB that although you've chosen to give up you don't lecture the rest of us to do the same.

My personal best bit of advice is - find a non-alcoholic drink that you enjoy. It took me a few weeks (or months, I can't remember which) to find the right one for me, B3cks B1ue, which someone else mentioned on the previous incarnation of this thread. From then on life has been much simpler for me.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

I've never found a soft drink that I can say I really enjoy as much as an alcoholic drink. I need to qualify that though as I know I wouldn't enjoy a gin and tonic with breakfast!! When I analyse it, it's all about breaking habits. I used to associate the end of every day with a reward of opening a bottle of wine. My goal in cutting down was to keep alcoholic drinks for weekends and social occasions not an every day occurrence. What I needed was to break the habit of having a drink in my hand at home on a 'normal' evening. To begin with I drank copious amounts of water in a wine glass but now I mark the end of a day by putting my feet up with a cuppa. It's the same when I get home after being out for an AF evening (driving etc.). I used to open a bottle and neck it very quickly. Now I just put the kettle on immediately, determined not to waste an AF day.

No drinking planned for today. I anticipate the next one will be DH's birthday on Thursday. I need to clock up a few more days quickly as starting the month with a short holiday hasn't helped.

3 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 16,995 Posts
    • 101,638 Thanks
    maman
    Back from holibobs and declaring early for my first AF for September

1/10 please Shaggy
    Originally posted by sukeyboo

hello sukey. Hope you had a good time.
    I had a short break last week too so we've got catching up to do!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 11th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 51,034 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Morning

I've lost 2 pounds - only 24 more pounds to go

Shaggyx
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 11th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 51,034 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : September 2017
    September 2017

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= Target Achieved

= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 4/TF
    Barny1979 9/25

CathyBird 11/21
    CuppaTea 7/18

Eltee
    /18

ElusiveLucy
    3/10

GreenKaren

Honey Bear 11/30

Macpep

MaggieM 2 /15

Maman
    3/10

ManPants

NewstartDMP

PollyAnna

Poor Single Lady 6/24

Pricey
    /20

PurpleMumof2 2/10

Shaggy 5/21

Smiley77

StichyWitchy
    1/15

SukeyBoo
    1/10

WBF 5/21

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 16,995 Posts
    • 101,638 Thanks
    maman
    Morning

I've lost 2 pounds - only 24 more pounds to go

Shaggyx
    Originally posted by shaggydoo

2lbs is excellent Shaggy. I've only managed to shift a couple of pounds since my holiday in June. I keep trying but life has a habit of getting in the way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter