Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 28th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 716Posts
    • 1,049Thanks
    nextyeartina
    Could hubby claim anything?
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    Could hubby claim anything? 28th Jul 17 at 5:40 PM
    My husband injured his back at work many years ago. It's gotten worse over the years, the last 12 months in particular. Is there anything he could claim?

TIA
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 28th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    My husband injured his back at work many years ago. It's gotten worse over the years, the last 12 months in particular. Is there anything he could claim?

TIA
    Originally posted by nextyeartina
    Take a look at this link for PIP. It's not means tested but you would need evidence to support a claim. Any other benefits would depend on circumstances. http://www.focusondisability.org.uk/personal-independence-payment-PIP-assessment-points.html
    • venison
    • By venison 28th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    venison
    • 28th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 28th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    My OH got PIP care without any evidence last year.
    I am now a Board Guide on the Credit card board and the Loan board and Benefits board (But give me time to learn the ropes thanks).
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 28th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 4,709 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 28th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 28th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    Originally posted by venison
    Does your husband have a bad back?

Or is his disability something that can be easily observed?

Edit:
    I'm not asking to be nosey, BTW, I'm just pointing out that your husband's situation may not be relevant to the OP and if they take your response to mean it's okay not to send any evidence, they may not receive the help they need.

I also know someone who was able to claim without evidence, but they were undergoing cancer treatment at the time. The DWP are considerably less forgiving with conditions like chronic pain.
    Last edited by Penitent; 29-07-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 28th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 1,685 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 28th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 28th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit ?
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Industrial-Injuries-Disablement-Benefit/What-is-Industrial-Injuries-Disablement-Benefit
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 18th Aug 17, 9:54 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    nextyeartina
    • 18th Aug 17, 9:54 PM
    • 18th Aug 17, 9:54 PM
    My husband was finally referred to the hospital where they are certain it's a bulging disc. He's awaiting an MRI scan to see how best to treat it. I know it's bad because he's not a wimp and he's deteriorated really quickly this year . We're going to wait until he has had the MRI and go from there.
    • mumcoll
    • By mumcoll 20th Aug 17, 8:11 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    mumcoll
    • 20th Aug 17, 8:11 AM
    • 20th Aug 17, 8:11 AM
    My hubby has a bulging disc that causes intermittent pain in his leg. Although the pain isnt always there, the fear of it is constant and severely impacts his life. He gets PIP and we are very grateful!
    • venison
    • By venison 20th Aug 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    venison
    • 20th Aug 17, 9:13 PM
    • 20th Aug 17, 9:13 PM
    Does your husband have a bad back?

Or is his disability something that can be easily observed?

Edit:
    I'm not asking to be nosey, BTW, I'm just pointing out that your husband's situation may not be relevant to the OP and if they take your response to mean it's okay not to send any evidence, they may not receive the help they need.

I also know someone who was able to claim without evidence, but they were undergoing cancer treatment at the time. The DWP are considerably less forgiving with conditions like chronic pain.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Long time back problems
    I am now a Board Guide on the Credit card board and the Loan board and Benefits board (But give me time to learn the ropes thanks).
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 12th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    nextyeartina
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    My husband's MRI results have come back. He has a large bulging disc which will more than likely need surgery. They said even though he's in severe pain, because at the moment it isn't causing any long term damage, he won't be classed as a priority. Do we go down the PIP route? X
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Oct 17, 6:08 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    poppy12345
    My husband's MRI results have come back. He has a large bulging disc which will more than likely need surgery. They said even though he's in severe pain, because at the moment it isn't causing any long term damage, he won't be classed as a priority. Do we go down the PIP route? X
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's about how those conditions affect you daily. Look at the link i posted in post #2 to see what you think. You'll need evidence to support a claim also.

I have a bulging disc and was told that it's quite common in people over a certain age. I was also told the same as your hubby, that surgery was not a priority.

I claim PIP but it's not for this reason.
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 13th Oct 17, 8:41 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    nextyeartina
    Hi Poppy. I know it's not about a diagnosis. It is affecting him daily. He can't walk far, he can't put his own socks on, he needs help in the shower, he's not sleeping. I just wish his pain was manageable X
    Last edited by nextyeartina; 13-10-2017 at 5:57 PM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 4,435 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Originally posted by venison
    A bare statement like that is suggesting that anybody could put a claim in for PIP and the claim would simply be allowed, which is clearly ridiculous. The claim process is gathering evidence.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Oct 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    NeilCr
    It’s really up to you two whether or not you make a claim for PIP. No-one on here will be able to tell you if you will be successful or not

As well as poppy’s link there is quite a lot of information here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-to-claim/

It might be worth a visit to your local CAB/advice centre to talk it through
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 13th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 8,005 Thanks
    KiKi
    It is affecting him daily. He can't walk far, he can't put his own socks on, he needs help in the shower, he's not sleeping. I just wish his pain was manageable X
    I feel for him - I was in this position 6 years ago, and the NHS wouldn't treat me either as it wasn't severe enough. But on the recommendation of a friend I went to see a chiropractor who x-rayed, scanned then treated me. It wasn't cheap - I had 4 treatments a week for the first 4 weeks, then gradually got down to one treatment every 3 weeks. I have no disc between L4 and L5, so that's always going to be there. But I'm completely pain-free, and the chiropractic manages it. I went from hardly walking, awful sciatica, unable to bend or sneeze without severe pain, to gradually being able to sneeze without holding on to something, to waking up to an alarm clock rather than because I was in pain, to walking and living again! Best thing I ever did. I also changed my soft mattress to a very very firm one, and eventually my sofa as they were not helping.

Obviously this isn't medical advice! But if he's in that much pain it may be worth a visit - if you do, then make sure they are a practice that do x-rays first so they know what they're treating.

All the best, it's horrid to live with that pain, but bulging discs can be treated and potentially really quite easily if you're prepared to go outside the NHS.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 13th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    nextyeartina
    Hi Kiki. The hospital mentioned L5. I wish we could afford a chiropractor . The mattress we have is very firm. He sits on a garden chair in the living room as this is the only chair he finds he can get 'comfortable' in X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

1,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin