Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poadb
    • By poadb 28th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 23Thanks
    poadb
    Euro Car Parks - Appeal Rejected - Any help appreciated, please.
    • 28th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    Euro Car Parks - Appeal Rejected - Any help appreciated, please. 28th Jul 17 at 5:33 PM
    Hi all

I need some advice or guidance please.

I received a PCN from ECP last month for failing to pay and display. I promptly took to the MSE forum for guidance and found all the information to appeal.

My grounds for appeal are thus:

The carpark in question is relatively new, around 18 months old now. It facilitates parking for several establishments; bars, restaurants and a cinema. The cinema being the establishment I was visiting.

When I first visited the cinema, I paid and displayed. I was watching Batman VS Superman, so paid for a 4 hour ticket. I asked the staff when collecting my tickets and over-priced refreshments if my the parking tickets were redeemable for visitors.

I was told that unfortunately the parking tickets were not redeemable, that the cinema were working with the land owner to put in place an exemption scheme but also "not to worry", because parking was free after 6pm. Great! I hadn't had to pay afterall, but nevermind - I now know for next time.

I've visited the cinema 3 times since, all this year and each of them after 6pm, to make use of the free parking. However, on my 3rd visit (my last visit), I've received this PCN.

Now, each time I've visited, I've been quite careful and double checked with staff at the cinema that parking was still free after 6pm. Each time they told me it was.

So I naturally appealed. My arguments being that the signage wasn't clear, that the cinema staff had confirmed parking was free after 6pm and lastly ECP had not lost revenue. They had not lost revenue because surely the time I paid and didn't have to covers the time I should have, and also the car park was half empty. It was a Sunday evening and plenty of spaces both as I entered the carpark and left it. So I wasn't occupying a space for someone that knew better than the cinema staff and I?

Do I have a case to appeal to POPLA?

I appreciate your time reading and helping.
Page 3
    • poadb
    • By poadb 25th Aug 17, 8:02 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    poadb
    Should I post my results in the Decisions thread?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 25th Aug 17, 8:13 AM
    • 15,572 Posts
    • 24,322 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Should I post my results in the Decisions thread?
    Originally posted by poadb
    Yes please.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    • 51,584 Posts
    • 65,205 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Well done!

Like Umkomaas and you, I found it hilarious she picked on that point, when the PCN was issued within weeks!
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 16th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    robrymond
    Someone I know has had a PCN from this car park and was unaware of the parking charges. If they appeal will the reduced £60 charge apply after the appeal is rejected or POPLA deal with it or will it then be £100 as 2 weeks has passed?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 51,584 Posts
    • 65,205 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It's always the full £100 when you appeal - same with any PCN, Council or private, the sum is the full sum. The ''discount'' only a bribe not to appeal, nothing more.

But in fact, it's zero so forget the bribe. No-one except numpty idiots pay Euro Car Parks.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 16th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    robrymond
    It's always the full £100 when you appeal - same with any PCN, Council or private, the sum is the full sum. The ''discount'' only a bribe not to appeal, nothing more.

But in fact, it's zero so forget the bribe. No-one except numpty idiots pay Euro Car Parks.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    I personally have appealed in the past and won but I'm a little sceptical about this case as it was a clear breach of not paying. Also as the area is 50 miles away, they cannot easily get proof of poor signage etc.

This is the same car park as mentioned in this thread but they had more of a case basis with being told it was free after 6pm.

The only breach I can see in this case is that the registration is photographed and below the photo is a 'entry date and time' and the same for the 'exit' but this is not super-imposed onto the photo (as I have seen previously with images).
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 51,584 Posts
    • 65,205 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No-one needs proof of unclear signs.

We often get people who live 200 miles away from Newquay where they were caught out while on holiday, and they still win at POPLA 99% of the time (regardless of any 'clear breach of not paying').

Your friend is most likely to win on something like 'no landowner authority' as ECP are not very good at showing landowner contracts with expiry dates and named signatories. Or maybe by showing that the 'date of issue' is wrong on the second letter, as discussed in lots of ECP threads.

Start a new thread with draft POPLA appeal
    • Sonu1987
    • By Sonu1987 17th Nov 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sonu1987
    PCN £60-100 fine
    Hi guys,

I am also losoking for some help following receiving one of these PCNs. My wife parked in this car park to attend a birthday meal at the Waterfront restaurant TGI Fridays. Again she tells me the signs were unclear but that she was fairly sure that parking was free after 6pm. This was also upheld by the restaurants who did not validate anything for her. She is adamant that this was the case. She left just after 9pm. I haven’t been there myself so do not know the exact signs and how clear it is but after hearing her disbelief in the fine and by reading your posts and the positive outcome from appeal, I wonder whether ii should either not pay the fine as it is simply a parking charge notice or whether I should be writing a letter as was discussed earlier?

This is just unwanted stress from a private company, not even the police or council for once! I appreciate your time and guidance.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 17th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 15,572 Posts
    • 24,322 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    This is not your thread. Forum requirements - one case, one thread.

Please first read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 which will tell you how to deal with this. Only after reading the sticky, start a new thread of your own if you can’t progress, even with all the information already provided in the sticky.

Please note - it is not a ‘skim-read’!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

379Posts Today

2,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin