Add your feedback on energy supplier Eversmart Energy

Comments

• mywifenow wrote: »
    Hi all ... does anyone know for certain if you HAVE to have a smart meter installed to qualify for eversmart's tariffs? It would go a long way to explain their super-cheap 'no standing charge' Special tariff, a real sweetener to encourage people who might not ordinarily agree to a smart meter (which I definitely won't)!

I was told on the phone that I didn't have to have smart meters installed and it was fine to keep my existing meters (he never mentioned smart meters or changing to them until I raised it).

But in the welcome pack, one of the first things it states is to contact them to arrange your smart meter installation!

Going to drop them an email so it's in writing that I won't proceed if the smart meters are an essential part of the contract (although I do have the phone call recorded anyway...)
  • blanik
    blanik Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Peteyboy wrote: »
    If your old meters have stopped working and you cant get any readings how are they going to know what you have used? I was told that they carried on working but just don't send the info to British Gas anymore

You can read a smart meter manually by going to the meter cupboard and reading the display.

I was hoping that the BG remote display would continue to show consumption in KWH and meter readings - even if it could not show the tariff in £. But I think what notofthisworld is saying is that his BG remote display has stopped working.
  • d12345
    d12345 Posts: 56 Forumite
    I emailed Eversmart Energy on Thursday asking for their details to give to Santander to get cashback, if I go with them, never had a reply yet.
  • Smart meters come in two flavours - SMETS and SMETS2.

SMETS were provider specific and are outdated. SMETS2 will work no matter who you transfer/switch around with.

A lunatic neighbour posted some junk through my door about a smart meter being like having a mobile phone mast in the house and how it will microwave you in your sleep - it's more like having a mobile phone in the house. There's probably more EM smog coming off your hairdryer. The amount of disinformation about them is worrying.
  • blanik wrote: »
    You can read a smart meter manually by going to the meter cupboard and reading the display.

I was hoping that the BG remote display would continue to show consumption in KWH and meter readings - even if it could not show the tariff in £. But I think what notofthisworld is saying is that his BG remote display has stopped working.

Correct blanik, that was what I meant. Apologies for any confusion.
    Smart meters come in two flavours - SMETS and SMETS2.

SMETS were provider specific and are outdated. SMETS2 will work no matter who you transfer/switch around with.

A lunatic neighbour posted some junk through my door about a smart meter being like having a mobile phone mast in the house and how it will microwave you in your sleep - it's more like having a mobile phone in the house. There's probably more EM smog coming off your hairdryer. The amount of disinformation about them is worrying.

Thanks DoesntEnjoyCapitalism, I thought it might be something like that but thought that even a SMETS (original) display would continue to connect to the smart meter to report meter readings, even if it could not report tariff data and pricing. It seems that is not the case. Obviously BG's meters are no more technologically advanced than other SMETS meters as someone mentioned earlier.

I agree in regards to some of the rubbish about EM being spouted. I also think the media have highly hyped up the issue with LED bulbs and smart meters or issues with over reading. I have many LED bulbs in my property that have gradually been installed since the meter was first connected and my usage has gone down as would be expected. Unless this is a result of BG's meters being more technically superior to other providers, I really believe the problems are few and far between.
  • Has anyone received their username and password to log into their Eversmart online account yet?

On 21st August Eversmart told me that I would be receiving this info in 2-3 weeks but as yet nothing!
  • After experiencing similar initial quote issues to others, I opted to proceed with the switch via the phone, with transfer slated for 22nd August.
    I got an immediate welcome email, then another email about a week later saying there were delays, so transfer would be later than expected.

The transfer took place on 23rd August and I duly phoned to supply readings. I was asked to email them - I did so that same day.

My previous supplier has only been sent the electricity reading and has invented a final gas reading, despite having had an online reading submitted the day before the switch occurred.

Apparently Eversmart have not applied the supplied gas reading to the account (and hence not sent it to my previous supplier).

I've not been able to log in to their site to manage readings etc, and noticed that when trying to do so, my USERNAME and PASSWORD are shown in PLAIN TEXT in the URL, despite the site not actually logging me in.

Alerted by this forum to the possibility of the meter numbers being wrong, I have now checked the welcome pack and found that they have got this wrong too!

What next?
  • blanik
    Checked my welcome pack - the MPAN is correct which I presume is the number that matters, but the serial number of the meter is wrong. ( BG have the correct number on their bill ).

Apparently this is all stored on a central database run by xoserve!
  • blanik
    blanik wrote: »
    Checked my welcome pack - the MPAN is correct which I presume is the number that matters, but the serial number of the meter is wrong. ( BG have the correct number on their bill ).

Apparently this is all stored on a central database run by xoserve!

A little further checking - by looking at my first BG bill from the collective fix I discovered that the meter number Eversmart are quoting is my original meter before BG fitted the smart one.

So looks like BG updated their own billing system with the new meter number, but I'm guessing the change never made it to the central database. So not Eversmart's fault.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    rich_p55 wrote: »
    After experiencing similar initial quote issues to others, I opted to proceed with the switch via the phone, with transfer slated for 22nd August.
    I got an immediate welcome email, then another email about a week later saying there were delays, so transfer would be later than expected.

The transfer took place on 23rd August and I duly phoned to supply readings. I was asked to email them - I did so that same day.

My previous supplier has only been sent the electricity reading and has invented a final gas reading, despite having had an online reading submitted the day before the switch occurred.

Apparently Eversmart have not applied the supplied gas reading to the account (and hence not sent it to my previous supplier).

I've not been able to log in to their site to manage readings etc, and noticed that when trying to do so, my USERNAME and PASSWORD are shown in PLAIN TEXT in the URL, despite the site not actually logging me in.

Alerted by this forum to the possibility of the meter numbers being wrong, I have now checked the welcome pack and found that they have got this wrong too!

What next?

To be clear, the gaining supplier has a Licence Condition that requires it to manage all aspects of the transfer of supply. This includes asking you for meter readings at the appropriate time. These readings are then passed to an independent industry third-party for verification against past data held on file for your property. The verified readings are then passed back to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. If the the opening and closing readings are not the same, then raise the matter with your new supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure