Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 89
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 7th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Middy why not ask EA if seller will speak with you directly? Our sellers EA always sounded panicked when we spoke via her, but our vendors are lovely. Some of the "drama" can definitely be added by the EA even if unintentionally.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 7th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Middy why not ask EA if seller will speak with you directly? Our sellers EA always sounded panicked when we spoke via her, but our vendors are lovely. Some of the "drama" can definitely be added by the EA even if unintentionally.
    Originally posted by JoJo1978
    Sometimes this can be the case, other times it's the opposite, the drama is added by the seller, and a good EA can calm a situation down. Each situation will be a little different.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 7,839 Posts
    • 37,891 Thanks
    Cheery Daff

At what point to people start to arrange a survey ? We are wanting to arrange but not sure when we should do this ?
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    We took the advice to wait until the mortgage was agreed before we arranged the survey (purely to save money if the mortgage lender wouldn't lend on the house). However, for various reasons our mortgage took 3 months to sort out, which meant our survey came really late in the process and the seller's estate agent was really annoyed with me ^o) Depends how risk averse you are I suppose. If I'd have known the mortgage was going to be such a fiasco, I would have done the survey at the start - that way we would have known everything that was wrong with it BEFORE the mortgage lender gave it a £0 valuation and may perhaps have decided at that point to walk away
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • middy991
    • By middy991 7th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    middy991
    Can see it going tits up this she's been back on the fonepushing for completion before Xmas ffs its the leasehold that held it up otherwise it would of been done
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 7th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Aliliva
    We took the advice to wait until the mortgage was agreed before we arranged the survey (purely to save money if the mortgage lender wouldn't lend on the house). However, for various reasons our mortgage took 3 months to sort out, which meant our survey came really late in the process and the seller's estate agent was really annoyed with me ^o) Depends how risk averse you are I suppose. If I'd have known the mortgage was going to be such a fiasco, I would have done the survey at the start - that way we would have known everything that was wrong with it BEFORE the mortgage lender gave it a £0 valuation and may perhaps have decided at that point to walk away
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    I'm doing it now, before even hearing back from the lender, cause if it comes back with some awful result I have to pull out of the sale (but it's not gonna happen, it can't happen, no way!)
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 7th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    chrissie83
    I’m feeling so frustrated! Our solicitor says we have been ready to exchange for a week but our buyers sol says there is ‘something ‘ outstanding that our sol needs to deal with but won’t specify what back & fro for 4 days now we were meant to exchange & complete tomorrow. Not sure how long it can go on for.
    I hope you are all having better luck than us
    • RXT156
    • By RXT156 7th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    RXT156
    Hi all received draft contract papers approx 2 weeks ago, contacted Solicitors regarding some queries regarding extortionate prices for items seller was leaving I think they’re trying to recoup costs from the sale as I managed to get a great deal as a FTB with no chain. Haven’t heard anything now for two weeks. I contact Solicitors every week but they don’t really tell me much!

What is next after queries have been sent to Solicitors regarding draft contract? Please and thanks!
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 7th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    Grr! Radio silence again from Solicitor. Apparently waiting on our Lender to approval the gifted deposit (lender takes 48hrs for decision) it been way longer than 48 hours. Actually starting to think we won’t be moving before Xmas now.
    Actually starting to worry there is an issue! Never moving house again lol! Hope tomorrow is productive for everyone.
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 8th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Katapolt
    So on Wednesday i met with my solicitor, we went through literally everything (i take any previous comments back, this man is a star) and signed everything we needed.

HTB ISA is now closing, and im waiting for the money to move so i can send my deposit his way, in readiness to exchange monday/tuesday, and to complete on our original date of the 20th Dec.

Things finally got moving after the vendors EA called to ask where we were, and i must've sounded as deflated as i felt with the lack of movement. She rang around my lender and SOL and got everyone singing off the same page again.

I had fully accepted it would be mid Jan before a completion, and with it being just before christmas im now broke as anything and have no holiday left!! That and the sudden realisation that its actually happening is sending me into bouts of panic.

I'm 26, i'm moving in with a boy (ew) i have never ever lived anywhere other than my family home. I never went to uni, so i havent even lived in halls or rented or anything. Im suddenly terrified of all of it.

This is normal right? It will feel like home eventually im sure.

God i need a lie down...
    By Day: Property Development Administrator
    By Night: Personal Trainer.

FTB 2017 - Only 30 years until I can work one job!
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 8th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Aliliva
    I'm 26, i'm moving in with a boy (ew) i have never ever lived anywhere other than my family home. I never went to uni, so i havent even lived in halls or rented or anything. Im suddenly terrified of all of it.

This is normal right? It will feel like home eventually im sure.

God i need a lie down...
    Originally posted by Katapolt

I've lived in rented accommodations all of my adult life so far, moved country a couple of time and so on...and yet, this whole buying a property is the scariest and most nerve wracking thing I've ever been though!
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 8th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Katapolt
    I've lived in rented accommodations all of my adult life so far, moved country a couple of time and so on...and yet, this whole buying a property is the scariest and most nerve wracking thing I've ever been though!
    Originally posted by Aliliva
    Oh my god im so glad it isnt just me. Thank you!
    By Day: Property Development Administrator
    By Night: Personal Trainer.

FTB 2017 - Only 30 years until I can work one job!
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 8th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Katapolt I'm terrified too and I've lived with my boy for 11 years, already moved with him once and still married him!

Totally normal, it's getting very real for us now. But it will all be worth it.

She says confidently, moving half way across the country to a place she doesn't know (he does), where they speak like him (not me) and with no job to go to.
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 8th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    Just received the call from the solicitor. Authority to exchange given. Hubby has also sent me a message to say he's done the same. She will send confirmation once exchange completed.

Suddenly incredibly nervous and relieved at the same time!
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 8th Dec 17, 12:28 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    YEY! Clairsilvers & Katapolt! Hope the move goes well

So thought I would do a proper timeline update

14/09/17 We had an offer on our house from a cash buyer and instructed our Solicitor.
    15/09/17 mortgage DIP
    1/10/17 instructed a building survey on house we liked and got verbal results from surveyor 09/10/17 so we could make an offer
    09/10/17 offer accepted on a house we like.
    13/10/17 mortgage application submitted.
    16/10/17 Solicitors instructed for searches
    20/10/17 mortgage valuation
    25/10/17 sales contracts/land register form signed
    26/10/17 mortgage approved
    27/10/17 early purchase report back with fixtures and fittings, enquiries submitted to sellers Solicitors and instructed CCTV drainage survey
    16/11/17 Searches back
    27/11/17 contract sign, land registry forms etc
    27/11/17 gifted deposit paperwork submitted
    4/12/17 submit more gifted deposit paperwork (after delays and solicitors on holiday :/)
    8/12/17 lender approves gifted deposit waiting on final solicitor report

So as above we are waiting on the conveyancing statement/final report... then we can discuss completion dates.

Doesn't help much when wanting to book dates for removals or sort schools out near xmas. but progress is progress!
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 8th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Still nothing confirmed for me though still aiming for completion next Friday.

Ive closed my HTB isa to make sure I can still get the bonus - not sure how it works when exchange and completion are so close together but I really need that money.

Im tired and stressed and like others finding this so tough - and mines gone really smoothly compared to other people here. Should I pack, get ready for Christmas- I just don't know

Oh and if I don't give notice on my rented flat on Monday but do complete on Friday I'll end up overlapping on TWO months rent/mortgage.
    Last edited by CommitedToChange; 08-12-2017 at 2:14 PM.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • middy991
    • By middy991 8th Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    middy991
    Decided might as well get it done so exchanging next weds 13th nd completing on the 20th,have to say bricking it a little bit
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 8th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 1,261 Thanks
    mutley74
    what is the best way to pay the deposit to exchange? I was thinking if I can use my debit card and pay the solicitor (don't want to get the payment wrong when you hear so many scare stories in the media). Same when making payment for completion. Can I just pay with a debit card on exchange? (obviously funds will be available beforehand).
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 8th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Well done middy!

Know what you mean, Commited. We had almost a week between sale and purchase exchanges not knowing if we were moving out where to. I had Xmas food deliveries to three addresses until we knew lol! Threw all our Xmas decs out but Argos coming to rescue next week.

Inching closer Flutterbat!
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 8th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 6,453 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Great news that the end is in sight for some of us Sorry to hear others are having a tough time......I can sympathise and Christmas for us is very much on hold.

No good news here, sadly......our buyers' lender is still not satisfied with the reports/quotes for a few outstanding things (issue with a retaining wall etc etc) and wants a quote for work to resolve. This will be submitted by buyers on Monday, but there's already been mutterings that a drain survey might be required too - despite there being absolutely no issues - so awaiting this news with trepidation

Either way, I can't see exchange happening before Christmas as desired by the only two parties in this chain.

As for an onward purchase......still nothing doing!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 8th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    Ooh also received final Solicitors report but we already knew everything that was in there so now we are waiting for the next hoop!!/exchange date/completion date. Enjoy your weekends everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,642Posts Today

7,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting result so far in my Twitter Poll double header... While 50% prefer GIVING gift vouchers to cash, 70% pr? https://t.co/zKgxQfLNAb

• Today's twitter poll PART 2: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/YMr1VUflay

• Today's twitter poll PART 1: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/OfKhh4pF2w

• Follow Martin