Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 86
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 5th Dec 17, 12:13 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    Meh! Still waiting for approval of gifted deposit from lender then we can proceed to exchange! How long does it take man! I thought I was patient but given how close to Xmas it is I’m losing my composure lol.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 7,843 Posts
    • 37,905 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I've just given up any thoughts about dates now. Three of us in the chain are ready, and we're just waiting for the replacement first time buyer at the bottom. Of course they've got to go through the whole mortgage/survey/searches process themselves now to catch up with the rest of us, and with Christmas in the middle too. We'll be lucky if we're in by February now

We put our house on the market in early July and sold within a week and stupidly thought we'd easily be in for Christmas
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 5th Dec 17, 2:37 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Oh my Cheery Daff ..that isn't giving me much hope ..we would like to be in by Feb latest ..given we only recently started the process we might be here a while
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 7,843 Posts
    • 37,905 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It really does depend on the process Littlebobo and what happens with the other people in the chain - a lot of people have been much quicker than us! We accepted an offer from someone who had to sell their house, which took a couple of weeks, then another couple of weeks for us to find a new house to buy. Then three months of faffing with our mortgage (our new house has land, which caused all manner of trouble), during which time everyone else was ready - and then right at the last minute our buyers' buyer pulled out so we've had to wait for them to find a new one and now they've got to catch up with the rest of us...

We'll get there, and so will you. It's just impossible to control the process!
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 5th Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    Been to the solicitor's today to sign all of the paperwork and pay her the deposit. Bit of an anti-climax really. Everything signed and ready for exchange. I thought we'd agreed Thursday but she kept saying "this week" so I guess there's not a set date anymore?
    Completion is definitely agreed for 14th though, she said that wont change.

Turns out not only are the solicitor fees a bit less than expected, but I think I forgot about the interest on my H2B ISA as well as the bonus when I was working stuff out. The amount we needed to pay today was quite a lot less than we expected, meaning we now have more than expected for improvements!

...like installing central heating maybe...
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 5th Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Aliliva
    Congratulations to all of you exchanging and completing! It's amazing to see someone making it

Today I fired off to the broker all of the paperwork for the mortgage...fingers crossed the lender likes me enough (and then likes the property too), cause they're the only ones that would lend me enough to allow me to buy this property. Now I'm off to instruct the surveyor, so another fingers crossed.
    And should I worry my solicitor has been silent for the last 24h?! What are they supposed to do after I formally instruct them? (control freak coming in 3, 2, 1...)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Dec 17, 3:39 PM
    • 7,843 Posts
    • 37,905 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    That's a nice surprise Claire!
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 5th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Aliliva only get worried if your sol goes silent for a week or more. And it still doesn't mean there's a problem, they'll be batting stuff back between solicitors for a bit. By email if you're lucky, otherwise by post!

Less money Claire, result! We got stung by a cable provider disconnection charge today to the tune of £240. I wouldn't mind but it was my PREVIOUS EMPLOYER and the only reason we're disconnecting is cos THEY can't provide services at new house. Cheek of it!

Cheery Daff I'm gonna keep checking in til you and the gang are in.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 5th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    3 more sleeps to completion

Dreading cold icy weather on Friday, our current house is set up a hill above the road so access isn't the best for removals in the first place

Bad news on the disconnection JoJo, we're taking our provider with us for a fairly hefty discount after ringing to disconnect and they're going to have us up and running on Saturday. It could've been Friday but we obviously don't know what time we'll get in .

Got Thursday off to finish packing and cleaning. We're almost there
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 5th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    chrissie83
    How exciting pumpkin
    Our exchange & competition on Friday won’t be happening our buyers solicitor has come back with another load of inquiry’s at 5pm tonight, I want to cry!
    Please send exchange vibes my way please as our vendor has said we can move boxes in from exchange & I’ve got my brother here to help this week. Today I feel so deflated. I hope everyone else is having better luck
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 5th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 3,552 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Was supposed to get exchange/completion dates today - but my vendors are still waiting on enquiries for their onward purchase. Considering everyone wants to be in by Christmas you'd think everyone would get a move on.

Going in tomorrow to sign stuff - not sure what as I've already signed the deeds - but hopefully this means Im ready at least. My sol asked if I was ok for housing over Christmas and to pay both rent and mortgage- but I've read enough here that I'm not giving notice until I've exchanged. Even if it means a nasty overlap.

Such a rollercoaster of will I won't I be in for Christmas- it's really quite stressful :-(
    Attempting to buy a house
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 5th Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Positive vibes to everyone feeling deflated today x
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 6th Dec 17, 7:00 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Don't give up folks.
    We complete today! Currently camped in a friends granny annex with a sedated cat that managed to get stuck in the sofa bed. I had to crawl under whilst DH lifted it, very Victorian mill!
    We were SSTC at beginning of August, chain of 3 properties .
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • chazzab
    • By chazzab 6th Dec 17, 7:15 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    chazzab
    Yay for good news for some people hang in there those that are still waiting!

We are awaiting the local searches back for our purchase and the first enquiries but my solicitor seems happy that we would be ready to exchange upwards before xmas. Now just a matter of waiting for our buyer to get a move on. To be fair to her, we only accepted her offer a week ago but we are desperately waiting to hear the valuatiin has been booked. This is where we fell down last time so praying this step gets over and one with this time.
    I am away for the rest of the week as is my solicitor... wonder if I can relax knowing I can't receive post or look at my emails all day or just sit in utter panic.

Today is a new day, good luck everyone!
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 6th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Still waiting on title deeds being submitted from previous mortgage supplier, last letter from the solicitors was to say the mortgage valuation was all agreed by the bank and that was on the 30/11.....feels like our buyer is just taking forever given they had said they wanted to move quickly and be in by xmas ..perhaps they had a realisation that this was never going to happen ..who knows ?!...

Anyway congrats to all of you exchanging and completing, think it's a way off for us though
    • natashah1903
    • By natashah1903 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    natashah1903
    :(
    Our Mortgage offer was declined with Vida Home Loans yesterday because our house is worth £240K and we are paying £200K.

Surely they would jump at the chance at lending us less money.
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 6th Dec 17, 9:23 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Aliliva
    Yay for good news for some people hang in there those that are still waiting!

We are awaiting the local searches back for our purchase and the first enquiries but my solicitor seems happy that we would be ready to exchange upwards before xmas. Now just a matter of waiting for our buyer to get a move on. To be fair to her, we only accepted her offer a week ago but we are desperately waiting to hear the valuatiin has been booked. This is where we fell down last time so praying this step gets over and one with this time.
    I am away for the rest of the week as is my solicitor... wonder if I can relax knowing I can't receive post or look at my emails all day or just sit in utter panic.

Today is a new day, good luck everyone!
    Originally posted by chazzab

please, tell me you're my vendor! The timeline is suspiciously spot on (and if you are, just know that I'm waiting for the lender to contact me back with the valuation date)
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 6th Dec 17, 9:35 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Our Mortgage offer was declined with Vida Home Loans yesterday because our house is worth £240K and we are paying £200K.

Surely they would jump at the chance at lending us less money.
    Originally posted by natashah1903

Oh no ...that sucks

...any reason ?
    • SerialRenter
    • By SerialRenter 6th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    SerialRenter
    Been looking to buy our first home for about a year now, not been in an particular rush as we've been fine in our rental.

Found a lovely place in our favorite town, close to the center, but far enough away to avoid the noise/pubs. Offer accepted under the asking price on the first figure we gave

My timeline so far -
    House put on market 24/11
    Viewed house 27/11
    2nd viewing 29/11
    Put in offer 30/11
    Offer accepted 6/12 (they were waiting to see if they got a better offer during an open house over the weekend)
    Solicitors Instructed 6/12
    Meeting with mortgage adviser --- (already have OIP, waiting for response)
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 6th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Welcome SerialRenter! : )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin