Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 85
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Firsttimebuyers, declutter early, nice use of the 'dead time' when nothing is happening.

Do it now so you can enjoy it and go down nostalgia avenue.

Don't leave it until a week before you go (my DH) and get threatened with "sort this drawer or I'm binning it" (me)
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 4th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Aliliva
    well done Aliliva!

I would find out your overall chain length. Either go to your vendors estate agent or your solicitor and ask how many people are in the chain and if it is complete (is the top someone who is not buying someone else immediately/or who will move out.)

If it's a short chain and it's complete, completing at the end of February doesn't sound like it's too far off. However, Christmas and the short month of February do take a few days off the working day total. If it's a leasehold purchase maybe add a few days on to your estimation.
    Originally posted by JoJo1978
    I'm lucky enough to have fallen for a nice chain-free property but I'm still worried sick sth wrong might happen, outside of my control (ok, maybe reading all the pages of this tread while commuting was NOT the best idea ever)

How long should I allow for the lender to set up a valuation and then give me a response? I'd love to have it done before Xmas to enjoy the holidays without this big worry painting everything black
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Dec 17, 11:47 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Aliliva - all our can do is my put my current experience down for you:

My purchase: house 10 years old and no mortgage. So we commissioned our own valuation (lowest level of survey). We got the report back in 4 days, the vendors had provided access real quickly.

My sale: *my sale was a little atypical* It took buyers solicitor 6 weeks to get a survey booked. There were several things that took that long 1. the buyers lender do all of the other stuff first and do the survey last 2. the buyers lender dealt only with a certain solicitor (they were not the fastest.) Once the survey was in (2 days), valuation (lender) plus building condition (buyer) it took 4 days for the bank to issue a formal mortgage offer and 2 days for us to answer all the buyers post-query questions to his satisfaction.

Because of the delay to the survey we were ready to exchange a week post survey.
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 4th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Aliliva
    Aliliva - all our can do is my put my current experience down for you:

My purchase: house 10 years old and no mortgage. So we commissioned our own valuation (lowest level of survey). We got the report back in 4 days, the vendors had provided access real quickly.

My sale: *my sale was a little atypical* It took buyers solicitor 6 weeks to get a survey booked. There were several things that took that long 1. the buyers lender do all of the other stuff first and do the survey last 2. the buyers lender dealt only with a certain solicitor (they were not the fastest.) Once the survey was in (2 days), valuation (lender) plus building condition (buyer) it took 4 days for the bank to issue a formal mortgage offer and 2 days for us to answer all the buyers post-query questions to his satisfaction.

Because of the delay to the survey we were ready to exchange a week post survey.

OMG, that sounds awful! I'm so scared something like this happens to me too, something totally out of my control.
    I'm going for a high-street mainstream lender, a solicitor that assured me they are on everybody's panel and I'm looking now to get my survey done...but it's so stressful thinking that anything could fail just cause, say, my solicitor and the vendor's one can't agree on something
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 4th Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    Aliliva - we went with NatWest, the application went in on Friday 10th November, then the Valuation and Survey was booked that day for Monday 13th November, NatWest got their valuation the day after, we got the survey results the day after that, and we got our Mortgage Offer on 21st November.

We're now at the point where we're waiting on Solicitors to get the searches done, draft contracts etc.

We're aiming to be in the house by the end of January ideally. We're chain free too, and the Vendor is happy with the progress so far so we're hoping nothing goes wrong!
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Ok - if something happens that isnít on your move plan just get on here. If someone can help itís great. But if not you will get some moral support.

One of the lessons Iíve learned is cannot control everything (Iím an ex-project manager. So have a teensy little bit of ďcontrol freakĒ in me.) The other one is that worrying about future problems that havenít even happened yet will sap your own energy levels (Iím a bit like a zombie apocalypse survivor, with my worst case scenario planning. Made myself ill because of it a few weeks ago.)
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 4th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Aliliva
    Aliliva - we went with NatWest, the application went in on Friday 10th November, then the Valuation and Survey was booked that day for Monday 13th November, NatWest got their valuation the day after, we got the survey results the day after that, and we got our Mortgage Offer on 21st November.
    Originally posted by Firsttimebuyers
    you've just given me the best news of the day: my lender is NatWest too! I had read online some not so positive reviews, but this puts my heart to rest a bit according to the EA, there won't be any problem arranging valuation and survey, cause they hold the keys, the property is empty and the vendors don't have any issue with it happening ASAP
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 4th Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    So after some confusion over lost paperwork then demanding more proof for the gifted deposit on Friday we are back to waiting to hear from our Solicitors to exchange and give them the deposit money to exchange, boo! Everyone wants to move next week in our chain!!! :/

Oh and I had a weird thought! What the hell happens if on the day of completion itís blizzards and ice and the roads are a nightmare and the trucks canít get down the street etc! What happens them lol?

Surely there must be a plan B for such unlikely madness? Ha ha
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 4th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Aliliva
    Ok - if something happens that isnít on your move plan just get on here. If someone can help itís great. But if not you will get some moral support.

One of the lessons Iíve learned is cannot control everything (Iím an ex-project manager. So have a teensy little bit of ďcontrol freakĒ in me.) The other one is that worrying about future problems that havenít even happened yet will sap your own energy levels (Iím a bit like a zombie apocalypse survivor, with my worst case scenario planning. Made myself ill because of it a few weeks ago.)
    I hear you, I'm an engineer with far too much PMing on my books for my liking...so I overplan things, stress about the future, make tons of contingency plans, account for millions of different worst case scenario, and so on.

So, thank you in advance for putting up with me
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 4th Dec 17, 12:54 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Aliliva
    Oh and I had a weird thought! What the hell happens if on the day of completion itís blizzards and ice and the roads are a nightmare and the trucks canít get down the street etc! What happens them lol?

Surely there must be a plan B for such unlikely madness? Ha ha
    Originally posted by Flutterbat17
    make sure your removal contractor have winter tires on their trucks!
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 4th Dec 17, 1:05 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    you've just given me the best news of the day: my lender is NatWest too! I had read online some not so positive reviews, but this puts my heart to rest a bit according to the EA, there won't be any problem arranging valuation and survey, cause they hold the keys, the property is empty and the vendors don't have any issue with it happening ASAP
    Originally posted by Aliliva

They've been really good for us, can't fault them. They even slightly lowered the APR% on their 95% product slightly while we were going through the application, and allowed us to change onto that product - just sent us a revised offer with the new rate a couple of days after the original offer.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    We exchanged on the purchase!!!! : )

Completion on the sale and on the purchase 12th Dec

<Must get off the forums and get life admin organized>

Be back soon lol
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 4th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    We've just received our offer!!!!!
    Just wanted to share that

Such a relief
    So now im here....waiting to exchange

How is everyone?
    Last edited by SassySaver88; 04-12-2017 at 5:42 PM.
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 4th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    Great news JoJo! Hope it all goes well for you
    • Marcus1991
    • By Marcus1991 4th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Marcus1991
    We exchanged on our first house today and complete on the 18th (my 26th birthday). Going to Tenerife tomorrow for a week aswell! Exciting times!
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 4th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 6,457 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Congrats Jojo et al

Thirty-two days after making our original offer, we had our offer accepted on the house we want to buy today

Cash purchase and we've already worked out what needs doing - another project, lol - so probably won't be getting a survey.

Even so, it's unlikely we'll get it tied in with our sale which is hopefully going to exchange before Christmas, but with completion on our sale predicted for the New Year, we may just manage it........
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Ah phoebe1989 I saw your great news on your other thread! Nerves of steel for this game, eh?!
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 5th Dec 17, 9:57 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Morning all
    Well done to everyone exchanging & completing!
    Iím still waiting to hear if we are exchanging & completing on Friday Iím going to sign everything this morning so Iím hoping to hear for definite as hubby needs the rest of the week off work if we are & if not he will need the week after off. I donít think Iíve ever felt so stressed & run down
    • natashah1903
    • By natashah1903 5th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    natashah1903
    Waiting on mortgage offer!
    Well done Guys!

Still waiting on a mortgage offer
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 5th Dec 17, 12:09 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Yay Jo-Jo that is fab news ..and to everyone else ..Just waiting on solicitors now ..tick tock ..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,008Posts Today

6,333Users online

Martin's Twitter