Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 82
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th Nov 17, 10:54 PM
    • 7,843 Posts
    • 37,905 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Congratulations dancing star and Catshark! SO pleased to hear about some people finally getting in Pah to your inconsiderate vendors though Catshark, what a pain in the bum! Hope you can forget all about them now.

Fingers crossed for the rest of us...

No news here. Buyers house will have been on the market 2 weeks on Friday so I'll give the estate agent a ring if I've still not heard anything by then (obviously he would have rung me if they'd actually found a buyer... but I suppose I can see if there's been any interest at all...).

As of tomorrow buyers will have officially overtaken us on the Spreadsheet of Blame

* Solicitor still well in the lead being responsible for just 12 days of delay (including weekends) - not bad!
    * Sellers (in combination with their solicitor as not quite sure whose fault) - 16 days (not replying to one query)
    * Us and buyers currently joint third on 27 days each - them selling (twice ) and us dithering about accepting their offer and then finding our new house
    * Broker and lender now lumped together (lender crap, but broker made bad choice to go with them) - very much the worst at 64 days between them

Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 30th Nov 17, 5:37 AM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    We've signed our draft contract and that's going back to our solicitor today. Haven't had a draft contract from our vendor yet and not really getting much feedback on our vendor and his vendor, so not entirely sure where we stand, but fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!
    "Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you — the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 30th Nov 17, 8:39 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Katapolt
    I'm still waiting from my broker about this "sale under value" condition that's appeared on our mortgage, and hopefully today my boss will get a letter asking him to confirm I've passed my probation (fingers crossed he replies asap and doesn't wait until 19th Dec when my probation is actually up!) and then were off!

Currently distracting myself with feature wall ideas.
    FTB 2017
    Currently dealing with a Quarter Life Crisis
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 30th Nov 17, 9:51 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Wow Catshark that isn't great , just plain rude !

..will the work be sorted by xmas or is it big stuff you are doing ?
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 30th Nov 17, 9:51 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Fingers crossed for action for you Jo Jo x
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 30th Nov 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 6,459 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Hope everyone waiting to exchange gets good news soon! It's reassuring for the rest of us when posters return with positive updates/moving day stories

Having been lurking, I'm now tentatively joining this thread.....

We accepted an offer on our house 13/10. Our buyers are not selling their current house and we hope to buy another wreck empty property, so a very short chain.

All was progressing towards an extremely speedy exchange when a potential hiccup arose with our sale. This is now resolved and our buyers want to exchange ASAP with completion in the New Year.

That's great as we are really struggling to get an offer accepted on one of the very few houses that we'd be happy to buy and this way we get to spend Christmas in comfort rather than a tent, lol

When we do manage to have an offer accepted, we'll be buying with cash from our sale so no mortgage to arrange etc etc.

I still think our buyers are being rather optimistic re: exchange and reckon mid December is more likely, but we'll see.......
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 30th Nov 17, 10:58 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Well sadly for our vendors it does seem that their purchase is a no-go for whatever reason, at least not in the short term. But now they have had time to think clearly they would like to work with us on getting their sale done with us.

To that end we've arranged a conversation directly with them tomorrow so that away from sols and EAs we can discuss our respective needs and wants. Human to human, then we'll pass back to the sols.

So still in a sort of 'what is our forwarding address' limbo but one way or another progressing much more quickly than Brexit. It really ain't over til it's over peeps. Will update Tomo.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 30th Nov 17, 11:32 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Well sadly for our vendors it does seem that their purchase is a no-go for whatever reason, at least not in the short term. But now they have had time to think clearly they would like to work with us on getting their sale done with us.

To that end we've arranged a conversation directly with them tomorrow so that away from sols and EAs we can discuss our respective needs and wants. Human to human, then we'll pass back to the sols.

So still in a sort of 'what is our forwarding address' limbo but one way or another progressing much more quickly than Brexit. It really ain't over til it's over peeps. Will update Tomo.
    Originally posted by JoJo1978
    Oh my Jo-Jo, really hope you can progress it all ..you sound remarkably calm !!!
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 30th Nov 17, 11:34 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Hope everyone waiting to exchange gets good news soon! It's reassuring for the rest of us when posters return with positive updates/moving day stories

Having been lurking, I'm now tentatively joining this thread.....

We accepted an offer on our house 13/10. Our buyers are not selling their current house and we hope to buy another wreck empty property, so a very short chain.

All was progressing towards an extremely speedy exchange when a potential hiccup arose with our sale. This is now resolved and our buyers want to exchange ASAP with completion in the New Year.

That's great as we are really struggling to get an offer accepted on one of the very few houses that we'd be happy to buy and this way we get to spend Christmas in comfort rather than a tent, lol

When we do manage to have an offer accepted, we'll be buying with cash from our sale so no mortgage to arrange etc etc.

I still think our buyers are being rather optimistic re: exchange and reckon mid December is more likely, but we'll see.......
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989 ..our buyer wants to be in for xmas ...i think they are being optimistic ..where will you go though as you don't have an offer accepted ?
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 30th Nov 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 6,459 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989 ..our buyer wants to be in for xmas ...i think they are being optimistic ..where will you go though as you don't have an offer accepted ?
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    We get to stay here till the New Year and meantime we're revisiting - online, that is as we're looking to move long distance (again ) - properties we've previously viewed/offered on/have discounted for whatever reason in the last couple of months

*If* we succeed in getting an offer accepted we're looking at using a different conveyancing solicitor to that we're using for our sale - one that can do an extra-speedy turnaround!

Last time we moved - 200 miles - we completed on sale and purchase the week before Christmas. Didn't really fancy doing that again, but I really expected our buyers would want to be in for Christmas like yours. Thankfully for us they don't

We'll probably spend Boxing Day packing though, lol!

How close to exchange d'you think you are, Littlebobo?
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 30th Nov 17, 1:39 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    personally i would say we are still a way off TBH ..given that i am currently on hold to the bank because the mortgage valuation came back stating the house we are moving to is 3 bed when it's marketed as 4 bed they are saying they are treating it as urgent ...but even given that it will take them 2 days to respond !!!!!
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 30th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    Looks like we'll be in for Christmas...fingers crossed. Though if I've learnt anything from this thread, it could all change last minute..

We're going in to sign everything on Tuesday, for exchange on Thursday, to complete a week later. Fingers crossed.

Need to go close my ISA now so I can get the closing statement etc.
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 30th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    So our solicitor has been unusually difficult to get hold of this week. After several calls to their receptionist we receive an email to say they are still waiting on me signing some paperwork!! I’ve now signed it twice!!! First time they claimed it was ‘lost in the post’ second time it was hand delivered into their offices on Monday. I’m getting really annoyed with them now.

We are ready to exchange so they have wasted this week!
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 30th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Oh no Flutterbat, our current one is great but I've had them in the past like yours. Hand deliver and sit in next?!
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 30th Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Wow Flutterbat that is bad, i'm loving our solicitors compared to our previous ones i have a Direct dial for mine and can call anytime from 8am to 17:30 ..when i rang her today about the mortgage valuation being incorrect she said there is nothing that she would be able to offer legally but still offered a load of great advice and said if you need anything else i will do what i can to help !..HOW GOOD
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 30th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    Marching into their office tomorrow and will sign the damn thing in front of them! I know they have already got it because it was with the contracts, which they have so they are stalling or have lost it again.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th Nov 17, 9:45 PM
    • 7,843 Posts
    • 37,905 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear Flutterbat! I am constantly astounded at how incompetent some people are!

We have some good news - our buyers texted this evening to say they have accepted a new offer on their house Not too bad - they only put it on the market again a couple of weeks ago.

We won't be in before Christmas of course but it feels good to at least be moving again
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Suman170
    • By Suman170 30th Nov 17, 9:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Suman170
    I have recently received a mortgage offer, it however has the following special condition attached:

"This Offer of Advance is made subject to all debts declared as being repaid by the Applicant(s), being settled in full on or prior to completion" Leander is Leed building society

Thanks
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 30th Nov 17, 10:26 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Cheerydaff - YES! So pleased for you

Welcome, Suman170 : )
    • Tunny
    • By Tunny 30th Nov 17, 10:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Tunny
    Hi guys, new to this forum but thought I’d jump in after following for a bit! Maybe a bit premature for waiting to exchange!

So after years and years of prep (myself and wife met as ripped off devorcies) and both being self employed, we finally managed to speak to a broker about our own mortgage yesterday!

So applied for a decision in principle yesterday am and approved!!!

Put offer in for house yesterday pm and accepted!

Completed mortgage application this morning and estate agent called while we finishing paperwork saying valuation just been booked!!!

All seems a quick!!

Now we have to wait for valuation and underwriting and offer to come through!!!

THIS IS SO STRESSFUL!!

Anyway, not asking anything, yet! Just want to follow and share our story!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,533Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter